Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vineyardchick07

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby vineyardchick07 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Lilo85 wrote:
vineyardchick07 wrote:Application complete 1/02

Accepted 1/27

Congratulations! If you don't mind, what are your numbers? Any scholarship? I just sent my application this week and do not what to expect.

My numbers are in my profile, but I'm also about to graduate with my Masters in May. Scholarship information was not included in the acceptance letter, hopefully it will be released later.

vineyardchick07

Postby vineyardchick07 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:42 pm

jd2017.8 wrote:
vineyardchick07 wrote:Application complete 1/02

Accepted 1/27

Congrats! Do you mind me asking if they let you know via phone, letter, or status checker? Thanks and congratulations again.

I received an email informing me that "A decision has been rendered on your file" and that I should check my status checker for more information.

Doctolaw

Postby Doctolaw » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:49 pm

Full tuition waiver in mail today.

App complete 10/31
Decision 1/9
Scholarship 2/20.

jd2017.8

Postby jd2017.8 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Doctolaw wrote:Full tuition waiver in mail today.

App complete 10/31
Decision 1/9
Scholarship 2/20.

Not at all surprised. Congratulations! Great options for you. I'll be interested to hear where you decide to go.

trey3white

Postby trey3white » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:50 am

Accepted but still waiting on scholarship information.

Cntrysweetie025

Postby Cntrysweetie025 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:33 am

Also accepted via e-mail, still waiting on snail mail acceptance/scholarship info.

bugsy33

Postby bugsy33 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Got a packet in the mail with my TAMU acceptance info. No mention of a scholarship. To my knowledge nobody has received an offer yet. Anything less than a full ride would be a bad choice. Full ride still might be a bad choice.

jd2017.8

Postby jd2017.8 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:36 pm

I think that some offers have gone out, but they generally arrive after the acceptance letter. Good Luck!

lg1309

Postby lg1309 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Received my Waitlist last week and was pretty surprised/disappointed since my all my numbers were very much above theirs and my softs were pretty good as well. Hopefully I'll make it off the waitlist, otherwise I have some other offers to play with. I just have a feeling Texas A&M is really going to turn the school around in the next few years and the blemish of once being Texas Wesleyan will be a thing of the past. You know Texas A&M won't associate themselves with a TTTT school for long so I'm expecting good things from them in the future. Congrats to those of you who have been accepted so far!

the_dude83

Postby the_dude83 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:55 pm

My only concern is can they do it in a matter of time before I graduate? Idk how undergrad alumni would treat a law alumni in the job market as well.

When I asked for a waiver they also told me about being free and asked if I had anymore questions. I asked them bluntly, why A&M essentially? The response was "We are currently searching for a new head Dean for the law school and hope to have that person in place by this June. I don’t think we will see many changes until after we get that person on board. One thing the Chancellor of Texas A&M did mention in his press conference was the growing need for Intellectual Property Lawyers. Nothing official has come down but it is possible we will see some growth at our school in that area of law. Beyond that I really can not speculate on any major changes to the law school or its programs. We do have students that do clerkships for various justices and that is something our Career Services office can help with if that interests you. We do focus our students on small to medium size law firms and not so much on the big Texas firms, but again, our career Services Office would be the best place to ask that question."

application in none the less. Show me the $$$

<DC>

Postby <DC> » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:01 pm

A&M is my #1 choice for several reasons. I applied 28 Feb and I am hoping to hear back in the next few weeks. I will actually be slightly disappointed if I do not get in.

I am a non-traditional student with 13 years military, MBA, Federal Investigations experience and have worked side by side with the AUSA office. I am hoping this will open the door for me.

I have an acceptance to other schools already......but would turn them down instantly if A&M throws me a bone.

the_dude83

Postby the_dude83 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:54 am

<DC> wrote:A&M is my #1 choice for several reasons. I applied 28 Feb and I am hoping to hear back in the next few weeks. I will actually be slightly disappointed if I do not get in.

I am a non-traditional student with 13 years military, MBA, Federal Investigations experience and have worked side by side with the AUSA office. I am hoping this will open the door for me.

I have an acceptance to other schools already......but would turn them down instantly if A&M throws me a bone.

Are you in state? Is that why they have such priority? I am simply concerned with the opportunities they may be shut off till they bolster their reputation.

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:32 pm

Got full tuition waiver in mail this week; PT evening program.
No news from SMU, so I may really have to think hard about this one.

Biggest concern is reputation:can Texas AM prestige propel its ranking into top 100 in 3 or 4 years?
Did some research on what happens when a big university purchases a no-name law school. only recent example is Penn State merging Dickinson Law in 2000. Not sure where Dickson Law ranked prior to 2000, but its ranking today (#51) looks consistent with Penn State (#37).
Can the same happen at A&M (overall rank #67)? thoughts?

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:39 pm

FYI: there is NO great university in U.S. that has a horrible law school.
So maybe this'll work.

rodmanhust wrote:Got full tuition waiver in mail this week; PT evening program.

Biggest concern is reputation:can Texas AM prestige propel its ranking into top 100 in 3 or 4 years?
Did some research on what happens when a big university purchases a no-name law school. only recent example is Penn State merging Dickinson Law in 2000. Not sure where Dickson Law ranked prior to 2000, but its ranking today (#51) looks consistent with Penn State (#37).
Can the same happen at A&M (overall rank #67)? thoughts?

the_dude83

Postby the_dude83 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Let's say I graduated today. How would the name help me in the legal world in terms of job placement is my question.

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:02 pm

the_dude83 wrote:Let's say I graduated today. How would the name help me in the legal world in terms of job placement is my question.

I may be biased, but I honestly don't think it would help that much. A simple name change doesn't change the fact that recruiters aren't attending in droves like they are to UT/SMU/UofH for Texas placement in this economy.

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:16 pm

the_dude83 wrote:Let's say I graduated today. How would the name help me in the legal world in terms of job placement is my question.

Granted nothing would change if you graduate today.
But maybe better 4 years later?

I'm not sure at all; just weighing options.

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:21 pm

rodmanhust wrote:

I just don't see how the DFW market, which already recruits pretty heavily from UT and SMU while TWU was there will really change the practice simply because of a name.

the_dude83

Postby the_dude83 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Attax wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:

I just don't see how the DFW market, which already recruits pretty heavily from UT and SMU while TWU was there will really change the practice simply because of a name.

With regards to recruitment, I am not hanging my hat on that. TTU serves Dallas, Austin, and Houston respectively and from what I could gather not a great recruitment program in place either. What I am getting at is it is certainly the network you build that will help with job placement. With that said, there is a huge network of aggies in the business world and they take care of their own, more so than any college I have ever seen. Now will that start to blanket the law school as well with working attorneys that went to a&m as undergrads? That is what I would like to see. I do not think UT and a&M should be compared together at this point, UT serves every major metro area in the state and further, due to its ranking and rapport. It is also ranked #1 in the US with the highest income to debt ratio out of law school.

TTU touts a very capable graduate, meaning their school teaches students how to actually do beginning functions of an attorney. If a&m follows suit, it could easily be used to gain summer internships, which job placement could easily come from. The first job offer will be the only hurdle I foresee as an aggie law grad, after that, it is all up to what you do from there.

Lastly, TWU started out as a law school for the working professional. One with flexible schedule to help those that needed another degree to continue on their career path. I think that is why TWU never had a respect from the beginning, if you produce primarily JD advantage students, how do you think your numbers would look? Now that a&m has something to work with and will only continue to improve its status, I see big things. Unfortunately, I need to chose a law school this year!

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:56 pm

the_dude83 wrote:
Attax wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:

With regards to recruitment, I am not hanging my hat on that. TTU serves Dallas, Austin, and Houston respectively and from what I could gather not a great recruitment program in place either. What I am getting at is it is certainly the network you build that will help with job placement. With that said, there is a huge network of aggies in the business world and they take care of their own, more so than any college I have ever seen. Now will that start to blanket the law school as well with working attorneys that went to a&m as undergrads? That is what I would like to see. I do not think UT and a&M should be compared together at this point, UT serves every major metro area in the state and further, due to its ranking and rapport. It is also ranked #1 in the US with the highest income to debt ratio out of law school.

TTU touts a very capable graduate, meaning their school teaches students how to actually do beginning functions of an attorney. If a&m follows suit, it could easily be used to gain summer internships, which job placement could easily come from. The first job offer will be the only hurdle I foresee as an aggie law grad, after that, it is all up to what you do from there.

Lastly, TWU started out as a law school for the working professional. One with flexible schedule to help those that needed another degree to continue on their career path. I think that is why TWU never had a respect from the beginning, if you produce primarily JD advantage students, how do you think your numbers would look? Now that a&m has something to work with and will only continue to improve its status, I see big things. Unfortunately, I need to chose a law school this year!

While all very true points, I think just looking at where firms interview will paint a better picture. Sure you can do some networking, and the aggie network may help but I'm not sure how much. I think seeing how many A&M UGs are attorneys would help paint a better picture.

Just, for example, Baker Botts (https://www.nalpdirectory.com/employer_ ... 7%22%5D%7D) doesn't even recruit at TWU/TAMU currently. But that may change, and it may be too soon to call, but I think if choosing a school in Texas for Texas biglaw (I want biglaw so don't know about other areas as well) TAMU isn't the safest bet. You are just hoping it will be an option in the future, when you already know that Houston, Texas, and SMU are already recruited by that firm.

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:21 pm

The discussion is very helpful
It's obvious that the schools you mentioned are Miles ahead of a&m.
But for me, and probably many others, a&m is free and other schools cost $120k+

the_dude83

Postby the_dude83 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Idk if I want big law, but I certainly do not want to be be counted out either. TTU isn't on many of those list either, but as I said before the top 3 destinations for their grads are Dallas, Austin and Houston; if you look at TTU employment statistics, if I recall correctly, are mighty impressive considering their ranking and location along with their above average bar passage rate. I keep citing TTU b/c it is the closest state school a&m can be compared to at this point. UH and SMU fare well purely due to location IMHO.

I am a veteran that will be using Hazlewood, so I am only concerned with state schools within Texas; obviously UT or UH are my choices if given the chance, but the million dollar question is what schools is the next best choice? I hear STCL and TTU, with more emphasis on STCL, are great for trial lawyers, but that is not where I tend to take my legal career. I hope to practice business law, whether that be in health law or not.

trey3white

Postby trey3white » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 am

What are your numbers?

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:31 pm

trey3white wrote:

What are your numbers?

155 LSAT. foreign UG; phd in EE.

GVG2017

Postby GVG2017 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:13 pm

My application went complete on 2/4.. I am still waiting to hear back.. getting nervous.. A&M is my first choice, I have a 150 LSAT and 3.7 GPA from UT.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”