Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jd2017.8

New

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Post by jd2017.8 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:08 pm

<DC> wrote:Still waiting.....
Surely tomorrow is your day. Fingers crossed

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:18 pm

Leprechaun wrote:I was fortunate to be chosen as a Texas A&M School of Law Academic Support TA for next school year today. My co-TA and I will be responsible for a group of incoming 1L law students in helping them adjust to the challenges of their first year of law school and in helping them learn and develop the skills necessary to their academic success.

I will be one of the night students' TA's so if any of y'all will be part time night students, you might be in my group. Looking forward to exams being over for me this year (May 14th, my first one is May 5th), and looking forward to meeting y'all in August.

Congrats on TA. I'm days, so I won't be one of the lucky ones. Good luck on your finals! (Contracts and Property, right?)

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:25 pm

New Dean and some financial commitment / fund matching from A&M. Good day for the law school! Although, I really appreciated Aric Short's eloquence the few times I heard him speak.

the_dude83

Bronze

Post by the_dude83 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:48 pm

jd2017.8 wrote:New Dean and some financial commitment / fund matching from A&M. Good day for the law school! Although, I really appreciated Aric Short's eloquence the few times I heard him speak.
Find matching?

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:05 pm

the_dude83 wrote:
jd2017.8 wrote:New Dean and some financial commitment / fund matching from A&M. Good day for the law school! Although, I really appreciated Aric Short's eloquence the few times I heard him speak.
Find matching?
Fund - 5 mil committed to school now with the potential of an additional $20 mil over the next 5 years matching funds incoming from the private sector

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Thu May 01, 2014 11:07 pm

the_dude83 wrote: Find matching?
From the press release "In separate action taken by the regents, Chancellor Sharp received authority to provide $5 million from the Available University Fund (AUF) for the law school now and up to $20 million over the next five years on a dollar-for-dollar basis regarding funds raised in the private sector. The AUF represents proceeds from the Permanent University Fund to enhance excellence in teaching, research and related initiatives. Fundraising and donor engagement activities are already under way."

It is an exciting time to be a part of the program. Hopefully the school can work its way up the ladder in order to get better initial opportunities for those of us that have invested in our education by attending here and for those that have committed to attend here.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my 1st year so far, but I realize I don't have the apprehension about the job market that some students have as I already have a nice career, but I hope for my friends and future classmates, that their employment prospects continue to improve over time.

I believe a school's "brand name" is most helpful in helping open doors to your first job, but from that point forward, your success or lack thereof will largely depend on your performance and your ability to network and open your own doors. A motivated, talented individual can succeed without having to go to a tier one program.

kristopher33

New

Post by kristopher33 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Leprechaun wrote:
the_dude83 wrote: Find matching?
From the press release "In separate action taken by the regents, Chancellor Sharp received authority to provide $5 million from the Available University Fund (AUF) for the law school now and up to $20 million over the next five years on a dollar-for-dollar basis regarding funds raised in the private sector. The AUF represents proceeds from the Permanent University Fund to enhance excellence in teaching, research and related initiatives. Fundraising and donor engagement activities are already under way."

It is an exciting time to be a part of the program. Hopefully the school can work its way up the ladder in order to get better initial opportunities for those of us that have invested in our education by attending here and for those that have committed to attend here.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my 1st year so far, but I realize I don't have the apprehension about the job market that some students have as I already have a nice career, but I hope for my friends and future classmates, that their employment prospects continue to improve over time.

I believe a school's "brand name" is most helpful in helping open doors to your first job, but from that point forward, your success or lack thereof will largely depend on your performance and your ability to network and open your own doors. A motivated, talented individual can succeed without having to go to a tier one program.
Very well said. I look forward to meeting you in the Fall. I'm in the PT/evening program as well.

<DC>

New

Post by <DC> » Fri May 02, 2014 4:50 pm

jd2017.8 wrote:

Thanks. Just talked to Doug at the admin office. Huge help and understanding regarding the "holding pattern"....but it looks like it will be another week......

Really hoping it will be worth the wait.

Really want to go to this school. I am expecting huge changes and wins over the next few years......they are already happening

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:31 am

<DC> wrote:
jd2017.8 wrote:

Thanks. Just talked to Doug at the admin office. Huge help and understanding regarding the "holding pattern"....but it looks like it will be another week......

Really hoping it will be worth the wait.

Really want to go to this school. I am expecting huge changes and wins over the next few years......they are already happening
___

Glad you had the opportunity to talk to Doug. I agree that changes are coming. Also agree with Leprechaun. I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for you for another week. ...It will make typing difficult :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rodmanhust

New

Post by rodmanhust » Sat May 03, 2014 1:01 pm

just saw the news. great to see money coming in, but what will the money be used on? faculty hiring? more scholly?

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:25 pm

rodmanhust wrote:
just saw the news. great to see money coming in, but what will the money be used on? faculty hiring? more scholly?
____

The matched funds (from the Available University Fund) are intended to "...to enhance excellence in teaching, research and related initiatives."

The million dollar endowment from Tony Buzbee "'will allow Texas A&M law school to invest in key strategic areas of programmatic development and hiring. I see this gift as support for the vision and trajectory we are pursuing at the law school,' said Interim Dean Aric Short."

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Sun May 04, 2014 12:23 am

jd2017.8 wrote:
Good luck on your finals! (Contracts and Property, right?)
Thanks. Yes, Contracts and Property. I'll do ok on Contracts (Monday night), but I've got a long way to go to be adequately prepared for Property. To me, it's been the hardest class of my 1L year. Both Contracts and Property are classes in which your entire grade is based on the final exam so there are a lot of stressed out people around the school right now. I'm just ready to get Monday night over with so I can concentrate on Property in my limited free time. Have some vacation days to burn so I'm sure I'll be ready by the time it rolls around (May 14), at least that's what I keep telling myself.

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:29 pm

Leprechaun wrote:
jd2017.8 wrote:
Good luck on your finals! (Contracts and Property, right?)
Thanks. Yes, Contracts and Property. I'll do ok on Contracts (Monday night), but I've got a long way to go to be adequately prepared for Property. To me, it's been the hardest class of my 1L year. Both Contracts and Property are classes in which your entire grade is based on the final exam so there are a lot of stressed out people around the school right now. I'm just ready to get Monday night over with so I can concentrate on Property in my limited free time. Have some vacation days to burn so I'm sure I'll be ready by the time it rolls around (May 14), at least that's what I keep telling myself.
_____

I have some very limited knowledge of those subjects, so I understand a little bit. Fortunately, we'll rarely run into the rule of perpetuities in practice - just gotta get through that final :)

Have a feeling you'll be in good shape on exams though. Hope you're able to get some sleep in between study sessions. Take care.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

feractemm

New

Post by feractemm » Mon May 05, 2014 10:29 am

Howdy, Aggies!

There's a Facebook group called "Texas A&M University School of Law - Class of 2017". Feel free to join!

<DC>

New

Post by <DC> » Mon May 05, 2014 2:08 pm

feractemm wrote:Howdy, Aggies!

There's a Facebook group called "Texas A&M University School of Law - Class of 2017". Feel free to join!

Link???

the_dude83

Bronze

Post by the_dude83 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:00 am

finally accepted by phone last night!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:17 am

the_dude83 wrote:finally accepted by phone last night!

CONGRATULATIONS !!! SO GLAD TO HEAR IT :D :!:

Yay! Now you just need to celebrate and enjoy the summer.

the_dude83

Bronze

Post by the_dude83 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

jd2017.8 wrote:

not so much. UH has me waitlisted, Texas Tech has granted scholarships, and this all creates quite the predicament in deciding a law school

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:39 pm

the_dude83 wrote:
jd2017.8 wrote:

not so much. UH has me waitlisted, Texas Tech has granted scholarships, and this all creates quite the predicament in deciding a law school

I see. Glad you have some options. Hope you hear from UH soon and can weigh all the info. I know I was stressed during the decision-making.

<DC>

New

Post by <DC> » Thu May 08, 2014 3:51 pm

VERY COOL!!!

me??......still waiting........hopeful today or tomorrow

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

the_dude83

Bronze

Post by the_dude83 » Thu May 08, 2014 3:57 pm

<DC> wrote:
VERY COOL!!!

start to bug Emily! She told me a few things that I could do to "help" my application. Although, I did not do them, I think it put my name in her ear b/c she stated she asked to call me personally and give me the news. In negotiation talks as we speak.......

<DC>

New

Post by <DC> » Thu May 08, 2014 5:35 pm

the_dude83 wrote:
<DC> wrote:
VERY COOL!!!

start to bug Emily! She told me a few things that I could do to "help" my application. Although, I did not do them, I think it put my name in her ear b/c she stated she asked to call me personally and give me the news. In negotiation talks as we speak.......

When ever I call I get Doug, who is very helpful, but I don't want to come across wrong by dodging him and asking specifically for Emily. I am sure the end result is going to be the same if it is from Emily vs Doug.

What stuff did she tell you that would "help"

Hoping for this week.

the_dude83

Bronze

Post by the_dude83 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:59 pm

<DC> wrote:
the_dude83 wrote:
<DC> wrote:
VERY COOL!!!

When ever I call I get Doug, who is very helpful, but I don't want to come across wrong by dodging him and asking specifically for Emily. I am sure the end result is going to be the same if it is from Emily vs Doug.

Hoping for this week.
Doug was never very helpful to me either. Email Emily, she was the one who sent you the status check stuff.
They wanted me to send in an LOCI and a story explaining something in my file, which nobody else had issue with. Being they had taken so long, I decided not to spend the extra time doing so and still got a response.

Email her asking if there is any issues with your file causing the process to drag out and if you can do anything to help a decision. The worst she can tell you is no!

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:11 pm

...VERY COOL!!!

me??......still waiting........hopeful today or tomorrow[/quote]

start to bug Emily! She told me a few things that I could do to "help" my application. Although, I did not do them, I think it put my name in her ear b/c she stated she asked to call me personally and give me the news. In negotiation talks as we speak.......[/quote]

Hoping for this week.[/quote]

Doug was never very helpful to me either. Email Emily, she was the one who sent you the status check stuff.
They wanted me to send in an LOCI and a story explaining something in my file, which nobody else had issue with. Being they had taken so long, I decided not to spend the extra time doing so and still got a response.

Email her asking if there is any issues with your file causing the process to drag out and if you can do anything to help a decision. The worst she can tell you is no![/quote]

I agree that emailing Emily would be good. You wouldn't be dodging Doug that way, just responding to an individual from admissions who has already given you status info. Emailing also gives them time to respond without being put on the spot. I didn't interact with Doug much, but Emily was super helpful to me and I know definitively that the issues that I mentioned to her went up the chain.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”