Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Shad2013
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 am

Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Shad2013 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Just checking to see if anyone has heard anything from TAMU LAW.

wwapd
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby wwapd » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:22 am

I am going to put in an application. I would like to know more about the school though.

Shad2013
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Shad2013 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:24 am

It was bought by Texas A&M last year, it was formerly Texas Wesleyan School of Law. I have friends that work at Texas A&M College Station and they said that it is taking a life of it's own and has goals of becoming a premier institution. Texas A&M alumni base is strong and I see great promise in the school as well as the education recieved.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Attax » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Shad2013 wrote:It was bought by Texas A&M last year, it was formerly Texas Wesleyan School of Law. I have friends that work at Texas A&M College Station and they said that it is taking a life of it's own and has goals of becoming a premier institution. Texas A&M alumni base is strong and I see great promise in the school as well as the education recieved.


This, in that it was Wesleyan. One of my good friends is going there (1L right now). Good luck, I'm not applying myself.


User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Attax » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:07 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texaswesleyan


Not to derail, but that's a HUGE reason I'm not applying!

User avatar
altoid99
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby altoid99 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Attax wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texaswesleyan


Not to derail, but that's a HUGE reason I'm not applying!


Cool. This is a thread for applicants though, so GTFO.

User avatar
kellohitty
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby kellohitty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:19 am

Hmm. I very well may be applying to TAM now!

phaynes1
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby phaynes1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Put in my app today.

Shad2013
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Shad2013 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:33 pm

I do not think they are in a hurry this year. I have heard nothing so far

User avatar
downinDtown
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby downinDtown » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:26 pm

altoid99 wrote:
Attax wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texaswesleyan


Not to derail, but that's a HUGE reason I'm not applying!


Cool. This is a thread for applicants though, so GTFO.

Mom tells kid not to put hand on stove because it's hot. Kid touches stove and burns himself. Then kid tells mom to STFU b/c she had the nerve to tell him not to touch the stove...

Sometimes all that math, statistics, and factual data about how many law schools do not provide the desired employment opportunities and outcomes while burdening graduates with non-dischargeable debt can get a little confusing. I'm sharing this because I live in DFW and know several Wesleyan grads, some (under-)employed, some not at all.

Cost of Attendance: $150,000+ (Tuition and living expenses for 3 years)*1

So you can get an idea of your employment outcomes at this school:
~200 graduates each year
5% of the class went solo, meaning most likely didn't have a job opportunity elsewhere
31% went to a very small firm (2-10 attorneys), not likely making enough to cover their loan payments
11% of the 2012 class was straight up unemployed. 1 out of 10 people that walked into school came out 3 years later with no job and $150K in debt. Another 6% didn't report, and non-reporters tend to be under- or unemployed. Only 60% of the class went to positions requiring a law degree. *2

Just know the consequences before you decide to put your hand on the stove...

Reference:
*1 http://law.tamu.edu/ProspectiveStudents/Admissions/Tuition/tabid/146/Default.aspx

*2 http://law.tamu.edu/ProspectiveStudents/Admissions/EmploymentStatistics.aspx

User avatar
altoid99
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby altoid99 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I get that and I'm not necessarily disputing what you're saying. If you want to scream and shout about how horrible you think Texas A&M law is, there are other forums on TLS you can do that at. This is NOT the place to do it.

User avatar
downinDtown
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby downinDtown » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:26 pm

altoid99 wrote:I get that and I'm not necessarily disputing what you're saying. If you want to scream and shout about how horrible you think Texas A&M law is, there are other forums on TLS you can do that at. This is NOT the place to do it.

Got it, I'll give you a call in 4 years to follow up on this conversation. Hopefully you defy statistics.

User avatar
altoid99
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby altoid99 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:38 pm

downinDtown wrote:
altoid99 wrote:I get that and I'm not necessarily disputing what you're saying. If you want to scream and shout about how horrible you think Texas A&M law is, there are other forums on TLS you can do that at. This is NOT the place to do it.

Got it, I'll give you a call in 4 years to follow up on this conversation. Hopefully you defy statistics.


This isn't about me--I am not even applying to A&M. This is a thread where applicants to A&M share information about the application process. You can join the "retake" chorus elsewhere on TLS but this particular thread is not the place to do it. Is that clear enough?

Also, retake.

User avatar
fnma2jd
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby fnma2jd » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Random, but A&M is waiving app fee for everyone this year. I'm pretty much only interested in SMU but figured I'd email figured I'd email a few schools for waivers. Is this a sign of the struggle that lower tiered schools are facing in the current down app cycle or because of the name change?

See below

Hi XXXXXXXXX,

For this year application for the fall 2014 we are waiving the application fee for everyone! You will see it has been waived after you place it in the shopping cart and go to the page to pay the LSAC fee.

Best Regards,

User avatar
Doctolaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Doctolaw » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:16 pm

fnma2jd wrote:Random, but A&M is waiving app fee for everyone this year. I'm pretty much only interested in SMU but figured I'd email figured I'd email a few schools for waivers. Is this a sign of the struggle that lower tiered schools are facing in the current down app cycle or because of the name change?





My guess is that they are doing a pretty major revamp. A&M didn't invest - I think is was $78 million - in a law school to have it remain a lower tier school, and they are probably going to spend a lot more money in the short term to achieve long term gains. I will also bet there will be some nice scholarship situations to be had if you are slightly above their medians.

I would be watching for a strategic plan to increase their averages bit by bit each year using money as the carrot. We'll see.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Doctolaw wrote:
fnma2jd wrote:Random, but A&M is waiving app fee for everyone this year. I'm pretty much only interested in SMU but figured I'd email figured I'd email a few schools for waivers. Is this a sign of the struggle that lower tiered schools are facing in the current down app cycle or because of the name change?





My guess is that they are doing a pretty major revamp. A&M didn't invest - I think is was $78 million - in a law school to have it remain a lower tier school, and they are probably going to spend a lot more money in the short term to achieve long term gains. I will also bet there will be some nice scholarship situations to be had if you are slightly above their medians.

I would be watching for a strategic plan to increase their averages bit by bit each year using money as the carrot. We'll see.


^ This is probably true. I'm also not surprised they waived the fee for everyone. A lot of schools are doing this recently. UT (for in-state applicants) and Baylor both waived application fees this year as well.

User avatar
fnma2jd
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby fnma2jd » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:14 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Doctolaw wrote:
fnma2jd wrote:Random, but A&M is waiving app fee for everyone this year. I'm pretty much only interested in SMU but figured I'd email figured I'd email a few schools for waivers. Is this a sign of the struggle that lower tiered schools are facing in the current down app cycle or because of the name change?





My guess is that they are doing a pretty major revamp. A&M didn't invest - I think is was $78 million - in a law school to have it remain a lower tier school, and they are probably going to spend a lot more money in the short term to achieve long term gains. I will also bet there will be some nice scholarship situations to be had if you are slightly above their medians.

I would be watching for a strategic plan to increase their averages bit by bit each year using money as the carrot. We'll see.


^ This is probably true. I'm also not surprised they waived the fee for everyone. A lot of schools are doing this recently. UT (for in-state applicants) and Baylor both waived application fees this year as well.


I saw Baylor made it free. I might apply to ut, might be fun to see a rejection roll in :)

Shad2013
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Shad2013 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 am

Texas A&M needs to speed up their acceptance letters.

Shad2013
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Shad2013 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Accepted via Status Checker on 1/9. I did not get an email or any other confirmation.

User avatar
Doctolaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Doctolaw » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:22 pm

Also accepted on the status checker, it says info in mail. No call or email.

Cntrysweetie025
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Cntrysweetie025 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Has anyone else applied to A&M for the upcoming year? I am waiting on a decision as of now.

User avatar
vineyardchick07
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby vineyardchick07 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:09 am

Application complete 1/02

Accepted 1/27

Lilo85
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby Lilo85 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:58 pm

vineyardchick07 wrote:Application complete 1/02

Accepted 1/27


Congratulations! If you don't mind, what are your numbers? Any scholarship? I just sent my application this week and do not what to expect.

jd2017.8
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Re: Texas A&M Law c/o 2017 (2013-2014 applicants)

Postby jd2017.8 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:04 pm

vineyardchick07 wrote:Application complete 1/02

Accepted 1/27



_____________

Congrats! Do you mind me asking if they let you know via phone, letter, or status checker? Thanks and congratulations again.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], laowhynot109 and 9 guests