Rutgers Camden c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wlee1220

Re: Rutgers Camden c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby wlee1220 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:07 pm

Just got my acceptance email today so I'm pretty excited!!!! I honestly haven't been keeping up with the status checker though, but I know I went complete around 1/6.

I grew up literally 5 minutes away from the law school and have just recently returned to Camden. I live on the other side of town, but I'm from Camden, have deep roots here and I know how to get around pretty well. However, I'm not really familiar with the larger firms in South Jersey. Where do most students who go into biglaw end up going?

Also, will I miss out on the camaraderie of living in 330 Cooper if I decide to keep my current place?

CU44BMD

Postby CU44BMD » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Got the Dean's Academic Excellence Scholarship for 18k (in-state), which according to the e-mail is the highest academic awarded scholarship. Does this mean that R-C will not offer full rides? Just wondering.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:04 pm

CU44BMD wrote:Got the Dean's Academic Excellence Scholarship for 18k (in-state), which according to the e-mail is the highest academic awarded scholarship. Does this mean that R-C will not offer full rides? Just wondering.

http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/academic-exce ... ship-terms

"This award carries a Full tuition stipend that will be applied directly against your tuition (it does not cover fees) and it contemplates that you will move into and continue to reside in the state of New Jersey."

Should be full-tuition according to the above link. That's odd.

CU44BMD

Postby CU44BMD » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Nucky wrote:
CU44BMD wrote:Got the Dean's Academic Excellence Scholarship for 18k (in-state), which according to the e-mail is the highest academic awarded scholarship. Does this mean that R-C will not offer full rides? Just wondering.

http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/academic-exce ... ship-terms

"This award carries a Full tuition stipend that will be applied directly against your tuition (it does not cover fees) and it contemplates that you will move into and continue to reside in the state of New Jersey."

Should be full-tuition according to the above link. That's odd.

Thanks Nucky! That's the first webpage I pulled up ha-ha, which is why I also posted. Maybe it's not updated to account for this cycle? It also says top 40% on the R-C site, and in the email i received it stipulates top 60%? It also would be my luck to get the same exact amount from both R-N & R-C? Can't even leverage one over the other.

XxMVPxX

Postby XxMVPxX » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:19 pm

CU44BMD wrote:Thanks Nucky! That's the first webpage I pulled up ha-ha, which is why I also posted. Maybe it's not updated to account for this cycle? It also says top 40% on the R-C site, and in the email i received it stipulates top 60%? It also would be my luck to get the same exact amount from both R-N & R-C? Can't even leverage one over the other.

If you don't mind me asking, when did your application go complete? I've been complete and haven't heard anything and it still says complete in the status checker.
Last edited by XxMVPxX on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Complete since 10/18/13 forever..

CU44BMD

Postby CU44BMD » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Complete since 10/18/13 forever..

wait what? Have you received a decision? That's crazy if you haven't.

Submitted-11/27
Complete-12/2
Admitted-12/18

transferror

Postby transferror » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:42 pm

It also says top 40% on the R-C site, and in the email i received it stipulates top 60%? It also would be my luck to get the same exact amount from both R-N & R-C? Can't even leverage one over the other.

Same thing happened to people last cycle. After the confusion, they dropped everyone's stip to top 60%, which is ridiculously easy to maintain. It's also much lower than other schools require. If they e-mailed you top 60%, they will abide by it. They did for me.

Also, the admissions office will be looking to fill seats for the summer Contracts class (Jumpstart Program). There are some big pros and some big cons, so I'd be willing to flesh them out if anyone is interested.

Adventureisoutthere

Postby Adventureisoutthere » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:09 pm

I was awarded the Dean's Academic Excellence Scholarship as well. My email states top 60% so I'm guessing we both would be able to have that stick.

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:19 pm

CU44BMD wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:Complete since 10/18/13 forever..

Submitted-11/27
Complete-12/2
Admitted-12/18

yup...no decision yet...it really stinks...I hope I hear something by Friday.

Also, please do share pros and cons of the Summer jump start program. It seems like a good idea, did you enroll in it?

XxMVPxX

Postby XxMVPxX » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:22 pm

CU44BMD wrote:

Submitted-11/27
Complete-12/2
Admitted-12/18

lol I still haven't heard anything.
Last edited by XxMVPxX on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

jagnut

Postby jagnut » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:41 pm

Complete 11/5 here, still nada. What fun

transferror

Postby transferror » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Also, please do share pros and cons of the Summer jump start program. It seems like a good idea, did you enroll in it?

Yes I did. Dennis Patterson taught it the last several summers but may not this summer since he currently lives in Italy. He has made the trip to the US to teach that one class over the last few summers but I think he mentioned wanting to take a break because he was getting burned out. He is exceptional. Well spoken, brilliant, clear with material, and fun.

Pros: You get to take a class "piece-meal" instead of having 4 finals at once. You will gain valuable insight from taking the exam and brief and outline more effectively. You get to meet your peers and you won't feel "new" in the fall when everyone else arrives. Logistically, you'll have more time to complete immunization forms and convert to in-state residency and handle all of the paperwork associated with starting school (including getting a student ID before the fall rush and lines out the door). Obviously you will only have 3 classes in the fall, which means you can spend more time getting involved in clubs and pro bono and networking. You can send out a resume in December with a reportable GPA and don't have to wait for the rest of your transcript in mid to late January (even though it is only 1 grade, if you set a high benchmark, you will get callbacks based on that grade alone. You will also have to update the transcript once the other grades are available so don't bomb).

Cons: You will pay more per credit hours because you will be considered a "part-time" student during both the summer and fall. You will not be eligible for work study for the duration of your 1L year. You will likely be put in a section of your jumpstart peers during the fall, which is nice from a social perspective but you essentially "lose" the advantage of only having 3 exams because the peers you're graded against have the same lightened workload. One of the main reasons I enrolled in jumpstart was to have an advantage in the fall, and that was essentially negated when my section turned out to be all jumpstart students. If you need insurance through the school you have to go through a slightly different process to get it since you are considered "part-time" due to the fact you only have 10.5 credit hours in the fall. Your summer grade does not count towards first-semester "honors" or "high honors" (top 20% and 5%). I am unclear about whether it factors into honors at the end of the year.

I was not made aware of ANY of these cons prior to attending (other than the cost), so read them carefully before deciding. Overall, though, I don't regret the experience. Especially if you have to come from out-of-state or you are moving, it gives you a chance to acclimate.

PM with any additional questions. I'm writing a brief and would welcome a break from the work.

transferror

Postby transferror » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 pm

I should mention that not all jumpstart students ended up in sections composed entirely of other "jumpstarters." Some ended up mixed and some ended up in sections with very few summer students. Just know that it's a possibility.

mach9zero

Postby mach9zero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:50 am

wlee1220 wrote:Just got my acceptance email today so I'm pretty excited!!!! I honestly haven't been keeping up with the status checker though, but I know I went complete around 1/6.

I grew up literally 5 minutes away from the law school and have just recently returned to Camden. I live on the other side of town, but I'm from Camden, have deep roots here and I know how to get around pretty well. However, I'm not really familiar with the larger firms in South Jersey. Where do most students who go into biglaw end up going?

Also, will I miss out on the camaraderie of living in 330 Cooper if I decide to keep my current place?

Course not! Look how expensive 330 Cooper is! If camaraderie costs starting $950 month, I think I'll be taking the lonesome road across the bridge :lol: at least give everyone a Friday night starting point for Philly.

jagnut

Postby jagnut » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 pm

No signs of movement. They admitted some on Monday it seems, and then awarded some scholly money this week as well. Maybe tomorrow next week they'll get to the rest of us.

I can't be the only one checking my status 6 times a day.

Congrats to those admitted!

XxMVPxX

Postby XxMVPxX » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:24 pm

Waiting over two months now....

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:27 pm

XxMVPxX wrote:Waiting over two months now....

I feel for you, but I'm going on 3.5 months, what do I win?

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:32 pm

nick417 wrote:ALSO: I can't say this enough. Take advantage of the in-state Tuition that Rutgers offers to ANYONE who moves into NJ. That is why I ended up at Rutgers. I am from Pennsylvania, but I moved to NJ (got a NJ license) and they gave me in-state tuition. Combine that with my scholarship and Rutgers was a great deal.

Also, I want to second the Rutgers alumnus above about Clerkships. Rutgers is great at getting clerkships in NJ. I know a lot of 3L's right now that have clerkship jobs lined up after graduation.

Second this, I'm an 0L considering Rutgers(both) and though the scholarship offer was initially underwhelming, when I discovered that I could qualify for instate immediately it turned an underwhelming offer into a full-ride.

Question about the clerkships though, is there any data on what happens to those clerks once they are done clerking?

Rutgers is certainly a clerk producing machine, but I want to know what becomes of those clerks.

jagnut

Postby jagnut » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:

Another 3 weeks of waiting

XxMVPxX

Postby XxMVPxX » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:

You think this is good or bad for us?
Last edited by XxMVPxX on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jagnut

Postby jagnut » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Last edited by jagnut on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:32 pm

The funny part is that I'm at 25% GPA but LSAT>75%...go figure.

cberg

Postby cberg » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:00 pm

I got my acceptance email last week, but I still haven't gotten an actual letter in the mail or any scholarship info… how long did it take for everyone else? Newark offered me $18,000 and I want to see how Camden compares...

nick417

Postby nick417 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:23 am

transferror wrote:

Yes I did. Dennis Patterson taught it the last several summers but may not this summer since he currently lives in Italy. He has made the trip to the US to teach that one class over the last few summers but I think he mentioned wanting to take a break because he was getting burned out. He is exceptional. Well spoken, brilliant, clear with material, and fun.

Pros: You get to take a class "piece-meal" instead of having 4 finals at once. You will gain valuable insight from taking the exam and brief and outline more effectively. You get to meet your peers and you won't feel "new" in the fall when everyone else arrives. Logistically, you'll have more time to complete immunization forms and convert to in-state residency and handle all of the paperwork associated with starting school (including getting a student ID before the fall rush and lines out the door). Obviously you will only have 3 classes in the fall, which means you can spend more time getting involved in clubs and pro bono and networking. You can send out a resume in December with a reportable GPA and don't have to wait for the rest of your transcript in mid to late January (even though it is only 1 grade, if you set a high benchmark, you will get callbacks based on that grade alone. You will also have to update the transcript once the other grades are available so don't bomb).

Cons: You will pay more per credit hours because you will be considered a "part-time" student during both the summer and fall. You will not be eligible for work study for the duration of your 1L year. You will likely be put in a section of your jumpstart peers during the fall, which is nice from a social perspective but you essentially "lose" the advantage of only having 3 exams because the peers you're graded against have the same lightened workload. One of the main reasons I enrolled in jumpstart was to have an advantage in the fall, and that was essentially negated when my section turned out to be all jumpstart students. If you need insurance through the school you have to go through a slightly different process to get it since you are considered "part-time" due to the fact you only have 10.5 credit hours in the fall. Your summer grade does not count towards first-semester "honors" or "high honors" (top 20% and 5%). I am unclear about whether it factors into honors at the end of the year.

I was not made aware of ANY of these cons prior to attending (other than the cost), so read them carefully before deciding. Overall, though, I don't regret the experience. Especially if you have to come from out-of-state or you are moving, it gives you a chance to acclimate.

PM with any additional questions. I'm writing a brief and would welcome a break from the work.

Another CON: The summer jumpstart students missed out on Professor Afilalo. Professor Afilalo did not assign readings and made the class very enjoyable. Us non-summer jumpstarters essentially only had 3 classes also in the Fall.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”