Rutgers Camden c/o 2017 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
XxMVPxX

New

Rutgers Camden c/o 2017 Applicants

Post by XxMVPxX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:56 am

I didn't see any threads for Rutgers-Camden Law applicants so I figured I'd start it. Does anyone else's requirements checklist look like this?

http://i.imgur.com/UCITQ7K.png

Right above the requirements it says that both my LOR's were received and signed.

torresash14

New

Re: Rutgers Camden c/o 2017 Applicants

Post by torresash14 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:43 pm

No, my box is checked. When did you submit your application? It may just take them a bit to confirm everything. If it doesn't change, I would just email them to confirm.

XxMVPxX

New

Post by XxMVPxX » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:25 pm

torresash14 wrote:No, my box is checked. When did you submit your application? It may just take them a bit to confirm everything. If it doesn't change, I would just email them to confirm.
I just checked again and the LOR box has been checked off and my application just got marked complete. When did you send in your application and go complete?

torresash14

New

Post by torresash14 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Submitted 11/8, Complete 11/13

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:00 am

Submitted back in October, and have been complete since 10/18. Do you guys think there is a chance we would hear back soon?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 am

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Submitted back in October, and have been complete since 10/18. Do you guys think there is a chance we would hear back soon?
there's not that much data here for rutgers, but it looks like decisions have come out in december in the past

http://mylsn.info/whenwilliknow.php

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:48 pm

I submitted 10-28 and nothing but App submitted is on

cheetahboy

New

Post by cheetahboy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:23 pm

I went completed 11/19 and heard back yesterday!

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Any chance we get more decisions this week? Went complete almost 2 months ago 10/18 and nothing yet...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45 am

I don't understand if I went complete 10-29 and have heard nothing, is that usually a bad sign?

torresash14

New

Post by torresash14 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:34 pm

kris4842 wrote:I don't understand if I went complete 10-29 and have heard nothing, is that usually a bad sign?
I haven't heard anything either and I've been complete since 11/13.

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:51 pm

So...I called yesterday and was told that only a "few" decisions were going to be released before Christmas and that they will have a big wave in January. So hang tight guys!

Adventureisoutthere

New

Post by Adventureisoutthere » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:05 pm

In via email however nothing changed on status checker.

They actually personalized my email and talked about my personal statement which was kind of cool.
I've been "nominated as a Dean's Academic Excellence Scholar" and they award the scholarships in January.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

XxMVPxX

New

Post by XxMVPxX » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Adventureisoutthere wrote:In via email however nothing changed on status checker.

They actually personalized my email and talked about my personal statement which was kind of cool.
I've been "nominated as a Dean's Academic Excellence Scholar" and they award the scholarships in January.
That's awesome, if you don't mind me asking what were your undergrad GPA and LSAT score? I'm trying to see what numbers are getting possible scholarship offers.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:42 am

In via status checker. No email or call.

torresash14

New

Post by torresash14 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:48 am

Adventureisoutthere wrote:In via email however nothing changed on status checker.

Same here... really nice email!

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:17 pm

torresash14 wrote:

Same here... really nice email!
Yeah - that's not uncommon. I bet your compliments are the same

I'm an alum. If any of you guys have questions feel free to ask.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:53 pm

That is really awesome, congrats

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 pm

I am a Rutgers-Camden 1L this year. If anyone has any questions about Rutgers-Camden, let me know. I will gladly help anyone out.

Also, don't be scared away that Rutgers is in Camden. Camden is bad, but Philly is so close and Collingswood NJ is nearby and really nice. It is not as bad as many people make it out to be.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:52 pm

nick417 wrote:I am a Rutgers-Camden 1L this year. If anyone has any questions about Rutgers-Camden, let me know. I will gladly help anyone out.

Also, don't be scared away that Rutgers is in Camden. Camden is bad, but Philly is so close and Collingswood NJ is nearby and really nice. It is not as bad as many people make it out to be.
Would certainly be interested in hearing you, and the alumni above, comment on job prospects, portability to Philly/NYC/DC, and quality of life in the area. I know the stats are out there but it is always nice to hear first-hand how things stack up and what the general consensus is among your peers.

They also seem to be trying to sell 330 Cooper rather hard. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on that.

torresash14

New

Post by torresash14 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 am

Got the acceptance packet today in the mail... free t-shirt! Nothing about amount of scholarship yet, just that the "Dean's Excellence" scholly amounts I was nominated for will be released in January.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:10 am

Nucky wrote:
Would certainly be interested in hearing you, and the alumni above, comment on job prospects, portability to Philly/NYC/DC, and quality of life in the area. I know the stats are out there but it is always nice to hear first-hand how things stack up and what the general consensus is among your peers.

They also seem to be trying to sell 330 Cooper rather hard. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on that.
Easy stuff:
330 Cooper didn't exist when I was there. If you're from out of the area, I'd suggest on campus living for a year. That being said, be price sensitive. i lived in the Victor 1L year - it was okay but my girlfriend HATED it.

Once you're outside of camden, quality is great. CWood is nice and so are the outlying towns off the train. Yes, there is public trans from those towns into camden and then Philly. This is hugely beneficial.

Hard stuff:
Job prospects are obvious but comparable to Temple/Nova/(I guess)Drexel.

NYC: There is better portability from RU-C to NYC than Temple or perhaps Nova, but it's negligible. If you're going to RU-C caliber school, try RU-N for NYC. That being said, good luck with that. I know only a few folks who made NYC and none were biglaw. If you're including North Jersey, Rutgers did comparable to it's peers in my experience. My old Roommate went biglaw in North Jersey.

DC: no idea. I know 1-2 Biglaw in DC over my 3 years

Philly: Rutgers does fairly well. I honestly picked Rutgers on cost (it ended up being the cheapest by 30-40k). The general rule is Nova owns west of Philly, Temple in the city and Rutgers in the East (South NJ). In terms of PI/Gov't - it's temple west and RU-C east. I'd say in my class, we sent 15% to biglaw in Philly/South Jersey. Another 2-3% in prestigious clerkships (3-5 of those might be non-Art III clerkships). Another 3-5% went semi-prestigious (state supreme/appellate). Those are my experiences w/o looking at the numbers. So you're talking 20% with good jobs.

Rutgers real benefit is state clerkships. NJ has a nice program (I'm a clerk) of 1 year clerkships for the state. Many of those judges care about their clerks and get them jobs - some obviously do not. However, my experience talking with former clerks (of which there are no statistics anymore) has been positive. Many end up in the state AG's office, various prosecutors offices and several small firms (5-10 attorneys). I'd say the most likely outcome is a small firm.

So, if you're goal is biglaw or bigfed, RU-C is far from a guarantee. Administratively, it's a bit of a pain. Career services are weak to nonexistent. Generally, i'd say top 15% has a good shot at biglaw - mostly in Philly/Jersey. That being said, the fallback options and debt are not as terrible as many peers on the east coast. T2s are rarely safe and Rutgers isn't a good bet right now. That being said, it terms of debt and reasonable job prospects, it's a good option and comparable to Temple in Philly. You're more likely to end up east of the Delaware, so if that's a sticking point, keep it in mind.

Still, South Jersey has grown on me.
Last edited by JuTMSY4 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:38 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

Easy stuff:
330 Cooper didn't exist when I was there. If you're from out of the area, I'd suggest on campus living for a year. That being said, be price sensitive. i lived in the Victor 1L year - it was okay but my girlfriend HATED it.

Once you're outside of camden, quality is great. CWood is nice and so are the outlying towns off the train. Yes, there is public trans from those towns into camden and then Philly. This is hugely beneficial.

Hard stuff:
Job prospects are obvious but comparable to Temple/Nova/(I guess)Drexel.

NYC: There is better portability from RU-C to NYC than Temple or perhaps Nova, but it's negligible. If you're going to RU-C caliber school, try RU-N for NYC. That being said, good luck with that. I know only a few folks who made NYC and none were biglaw. If you're including North Jersey, Rutgers did comparable to it's peers in my experience. My old Roommate went biglaw in North Jersey.

DC: no idea. I know 1-2 Biglaw in philly over my 3 years

Philly: Rutgers does fairly well. I honestly picked Rutgers on cost (it ended up being the cheapest by 30-40k). The general rule is Nova owns west of Philly, Temple in the city and Rutgers in the East (South NJ). In terms of PI/Gov't - it's temple west and RU-C east. I'd say in my class, we sent 15% to biglaw in Philly/South Jersey. Another 2-3% in prestigious clerkships (3-5 of those might be non-Art III clerkships). Another 3-5% went semi-prestigious (state supreme/appellate). Those are my experiences w/o looking at the numbers. So you're talking 20% with good jobs.

Rutgers real benefit is state clerkships. NJ has a nice program (I'm a clerk) of 1 year clerkships for the state. Many of those judges care about their clerks and get them jobs - some obviously do not. However, my experience talking with former clerks (of which there are no statistics anymore) has been positive. Many end up in the state AG's office, various prosecutors offices and several small firms (5-10 attorneys). I'd say the most likely outcome is a small firm.

So, if you're goal is biglaw or bigfed, RU-C is far from a guarantee. Administratively, it's a bit of a pain. Career services are weak to nonexistent. Generally, i'd say top 15% has a good shot at biglaw - mostly in Philly/Jersey. That being said, the fallback options and debt are not as terrible as many peers on the east coast. T2s are rarely safe and Rutgers isn't a good bet right now. That being said, it terms of debt and reasonable job prospects, it's a good option and comparable to Temple in Philly. You're more likely to end up east of the Delaware, so if that's a sticking point, keep it in mind.

Still, South Jersey has grown on me.
Good stuff, thank you for the quick and thorough response. A few follow-ups, if you don't mind:

-How much debt you believe it is worth going into to attend Rutgers-C?
-Is Rutgers-C more favorable than Rutgers-N, or vice versa? Any animosity between the student bodies?

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Nucky wrote:
nick417 wrote:I am a Rutgers-Camden 1L this year. If anyone has any questions about Rutgers-Camden, let me know. I will gladly help anyone out.

I live in 330 Cooper. It isn't bad; it is right across the street from the law school which is a huge plus. I can study in the library late at night and not worry about traveling far to home. Plus, I can go to the gym late at night which is nice. It is also right next to the PATCO line so you can get into Philly fast. The best part of 330 Cooper (especially for 1 L's) is you get to meet a lot of other law students. I feel like the commuters who live off campus are not as connected to the school and other students as the ones who live in 330 Cooper.

As for the school, I don't know anything about job prospects since I am only a 1 L. All I know is that I talked to the career services office and they are very helpful and have taken a proactive approach to finding summer work for 1L's.

But I have been very satisfied through my first semester at Rutgers. The professors have been very helpful and great. It is not at all like the horror stories you see on TV and movies. The professor's have all been extremely accessible and want to see students succeed. I am very happy so far with my choice to attend to Rutgers.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:56 pm

ALSO: I can't say this enough. Take advantage of the in-state Tuition that Rutgers offers to ANYONE who moves into NJ. That is why I ended up at Rutgers. I am from Pennsylvania, but I moved to NJ (got a NJ license) and they gave me in-state tuition. Combine that with my scholarship and Rutgers was a great deal.

Also, I want to second the Rutgers alumnus above about Clerkships. Rutgers is great at getting clerkships in NJ. I know a lot of 3L's right now that have clerkship jobs lined up after graduation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”