Seton Hall, c/o 2017, Applicants' Thread (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kris4842

Bronze

Re: Seton Hall, c/o 2017, Applicants' Thread (2013-2014)

Post by kris4842 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:25 pm

emitremmus wrote:
kris4842 wrote:
Branruss wrote:
falbader wrote:WHO IS GOING TO BE AT THE SETON HALL LAW ROAD TO 1L EVENT ON THE 20th? I was wondering if any of you guys are going to be there on June 19th. I'm free the whole day/night, and it's my first time in Jersey. I'm coming from Florida, and if any of you guys are down to meet up, let me know! I look forward to meeting my future peers!
I won't be at the event but coming from Florida also for school. Where in Florida are you from?

Ill be there tomorrow, any other part-timers going?

Would someone attending tomorrow's road to 1L be able to provide some type of overview of the experience for us out of staters please?!

Sure I will, though my sections will be a bit different because I am a part time eve student but will deft give you a review of what happens tomorrow

Not sure how the schedules and section assignments are released but if it is possible to transfer that info over TLS that would be lovely as well.

emitremmus

New

Post by emitremmus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:41 pm

No problem any info will be appreciated!

Thanks a lot and have fun tomorrow!

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:57 pm

emitremmus wrote:Would someone attending tomorrow's road to 1L be able to provide some type of overview of the experience for us out of staters please?!

Not sure how the schedules and section assignments are released but if it is possible to transfer that info over TLS that would be lovely as well.
Here is a copy of the itinerary:

8:30-9:00 Registration and Breakfast
9:00-9:45 Welcoming Remarks
Concurrent Session
10:00-11:00 Legal Analysis & Interpretation
11:00-12:00 Critical Case Reading
12:00-1:00 Gettting Familiar with the Socratic Method
1:00-2:30 Lunch with your Section
2:30-2:50 "Justice"
2:50-3:10 The Value of $5
3:10-3:40 The 1L Experience: A Student Panel
3:40-4:30 Choose 1:
Life Outside the Classroom
Evening Students
Optional Tour
Early Departure to Hoboken

The breakfast was continental, I had a bagel. The welcoming remarks started with Dean Alexander giving us a little pep talk about how the start of law school is such an exciting time, and then told us to buckle down because it is going to be hard work. Then a few other deans were introduced. One of them, Dean St. Romaine, then came up and gave a little introduction to how the year was going to go. She laid out what classes we will be taking: in the fall Contracts, Professional Responsibility (Ethics), Civil Procedure, and Introduction to Lawyering, in the spring Property, Criminal Law, Torts, and Introduction to Lawyering again (full year course, clearly). She gave a brief summary of what each of those courses entails, and then continued by laying out the schedule for the first semester (this is available on the school website).

After this we broke off into the concurrent sessions, with 1/3 of the group going to each one and then rotating through, the order of the sessions given above was the order that I went through them. A week before the road to 1L event we were sent an email with 4 attached documents which we were told to read in advance. I don't know if these documents were emailed to students not attending, if they weren't and you are interested in checking them out send me a PM. For Legal Analysis we had to read a statute on cyberbullying in the state of "Setonia" (it was written for the exercise and, apparently, Setonia is used often for the sake of hypotheticals) along with a hypothetical. Led by Professor Boon, we argued the hypothetical and whether or not we would choose to prosecute the potential defendants. Professor Boon was really sharp and led the conversation well. In Critical Case Reading we went over a case with Professor Pukl-Werbel, going over the facts of the case and the holding. She was a lot of fun, really brash and outspoken, but in a funny way. In Socratic Method we read a SCOTUS decision and then were led by Dean Alexander in a mock class discussion, following the socratic method. Dean Alexander continued the trend and really impressed me.

After that we broke for lunch. This is where we got our section assignments and schedules. There are 2 day sections, A and B, and one evening section, M. I am in section B, but I have no way of knowing who is in what section, other than the people that I met. Unfortunately, I also do not know how many people are in each section. I didn't see any of A sections schedule so I do not know when their classes are or what professors they have, but this is B section's schedule:

Contracts Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 11:20-1:00
Professional Responsibility Monday 1:40-3:40
Civil Procedure Tuesday, Friday 11:20-1:00; Wednesday 1:40-3:20
Introduction to Lawyering Tuesday, Thursday 1:40-3:10

Professor Caraballo will be teaching contracts, Professor Sheppard will be teaching professional responsibility, and Professor Healy will be teaching civil procedure. They didn't list a professor for lawyering so I assume that it will be taught by an adjunct. Additionally we will have Professor Glynn for torts, Professor Franzese for property, and professor Cornwell for criminal law come spring, though we were not provided with a schedule. Lunch was pretty sweet, I ate a bunch of sandwiches and Caesar salad.

The justice talk was given by Professor Sheppard, who seems really cool, and concerned the concept of justice, objective good/bad. It also introduced the book "Justice" by Michael J. Sandel which is summer reading, apparently. I imagine everyone else would have been told about this at some point prior to orientation, but if you want to get a jump start there you go. For what its worth I read the first few pages and it seems pretty good. The value of $5 speech was given by the head of financial aid and told us that saving even $5 a day really adds up over the course of law school+interest (duh). The student panel had 4 current students and 1 recent graduate gave us some tips on how to avoid common 1L pitfalls. This portion wasn't particularly useful as it was all stuff I had already come across on TLS.

I don't have any info to add on any of the breakout sessions that took place after this, I chose to go to the bar early. The bar was pretty fun, drank a bunch of beers, but more importantly got a chance to meet and talk with more of the 1L's than I had met throughout the day. I am looking forward to meeting and talking with everyone who missed Road to 1L during orientation and during the rest of our first year! I hope this was helpful, sorry that it was so long winded!

Branruss

New

Post by Branruss » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Anyone know when were suppose to get our schedules if we didn't make it to the Road to 1L event?

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Branruss wrote:Anyone know when were suppose to get our schedules if we didn't make it to the Road to 1L event?

I think I heard them say on July 15 they will release that but I could be wrong

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kris4842

Bronze

Post by kris4842 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Branruss wrote:Anyone know when were suppose to get our schedules if we didn't make it to the Road to 1L event?

Just to let you know the schedules are now on their website if you go to the new student checklist

Adventureisoutthere

New

Post by Adventureisoutthere » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:57 pm

SeriousLehigh wrote:
falbader wrote:WHO IS GOING TO BE AT THE SETON HALL LAW ROAD TO 1L EVENT ON THE 20th? I was wondering if any of you guys are going to be there on June 19th. I'm free the whole day/night, and it's my first time in Jersey. I'm coming from Florida, and if any of you guys are down to meet up, let me know! I look forward to meeting my future peers!
I'll so be there. Looking forward to the post game in hoboken.

Also, to people considering housing, I'm living on Mt Prospect--about 1.5 miles away from the school with easy bus access--there are two more rooms available, if anyone is looking for a roommate living situation PM me, rent is <$600 a month.
Branruss wrote:Where is everyone planning on living? Moving up from Florida. Thinking about moving to NYC, somewhere close to penn station. Commute is only like 20 minutes.
Where in Florida are you guys/girls from? I've been here for a little over a month now living in Downtown Jersey City and I plan to commute from here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”