Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ggocat

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby ggocat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:05 pm

elideep wrote:Thanks so much! That's very helpful information. One more thing: Do you remember how long it took you to be notified that you'd won the Woody?

It was a few days. Maybe the Monday or Tuesday after returning from the trip.

elideep

Postby elideep » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:32 pm

ggocat wrote:
elideep wrote:Thanks so much! That's very helpful information. One more thing: Do you remember how long it took you to be notified that you'd won the Woody?

It was a few days. Maybe the Monday or Tuesday after returning from the trip.

Very interesting. Thanks very much for taking the time!

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:58 pm

In today by phone! :D I went down for a tour this morning and the director of financial aide pulled my file to present to the committee. Apparently I was missing one vote (?) and they went ahead and voted to accept me. Now my app is off to the scholarship committee. Should hear back from that in a couple of weeks.

travis2008

Postby travis2008 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Does anyone know what month ppl normally move into their apartments? July? June?

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Did anyone else get a phone call and email where they said they will pay for a hotel the 28th for ASW, the flight to and from, and a $200 travel reimbursement?

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:59 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:Did anyone else get a phone call and email where they said they will pay for a hotel the 28th for ASW, the flight to and from, and a $200 travel reimbursement?

I got an email saying they would give you a check for $100 to reimburse you for travel if you you drove more than 100 miles to attend. But I'm in-state so maybe you got a different offer if you are from farther away.

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:02 pm

hemicat27 wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:Did anyone else get a phone call and email where they said they will pay for a hotel the 28th for ASW, the flight to and from, and a $200 travel reimbursement?

I got an email saying they would give you a check for $100 to reimburse you for travel if you you drove more than 100 miles to attend. But I'm in-state so maybe you got a different offer if you are from farther away.

I live in WV so that could be the reason for the difference

30somethingJD

Postby 30somethingJD » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Current Mercer 2L checking in again. I havent been on here in the past few weeks... (I am in law school you know) LOL... but if anyone has any questions, or if your going to be in town just ask. I know right about now your going crazy... I know I was. LOL

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Went complete a few days ago.

garrettnicole92

Postby garrettnicole92 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 am

So I went down and interviewed for the Woodruff Fellowship and got to see the school. The faculty/staff and students all left an excellent impression. Now we all just have to wait for the phone call...

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:43 am

30somethingJD wrote:Current Mercer 2L checking in again. I havent been on here in the past few weeks... (I am in law school you know) LOL... but if anyone has any questions, or if your going to be in town just ask. I know right about now your going crazy... I know I was. LOL

Judging by your screen name I assume you are a non-traditional student like myself. How is life at Mercer for non-traditionals? Mercer is at the top of my list right now, but trying to justify moving my family for this and feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment with it all. Especially since Hubby will have to find a new job to support us. Thankfully my current firm is willing to let me stay on part time remotely from Macon, but I will have to cut my hours in half. Any insight on the job market in the area or school systems, etc. would be very helpful.

30somethingJD

Postby 30somethingJD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 pm

hemicat27 wrote:
30somethingJD wrote:Current Mercer 2L checking in again. I havent been on here in the past few weeks... (I am in law school you know) LOL... but if anyone has any questions, or if your going to be in town just ask. I know right about now your going crazy... I know I was. LOL

Judging by your screen name I assume you are a non-traditional student like myself. How is life at Mercer for non-traditionals? Mercer is at the top of my list right now, but trying to justify moving my family for this and feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment with it all. Especially since Hubby will have to find a new job to support us. Thankfully my current firm is willing to let me stay on part time remotely from Macon, but I will have to cut my hours in half. Any insight on the job market in the area or school systems, etc. would be very helpful.

Yep your right, I am non traditional and I was in the exact same boat as you. I have two kids and my wife had to find a job to supports us. Anyways... let me save you A LOT of time and money. If you have school aged children do not move to Macon and put them in public schools. I put my kids in the "best" school in Bibb county (where macon is) and is was just horrible. My recommendation, and where I live now is Warner Robins, which is just south of Macon. Takes me 20-25 mins to get to Mercer. The school system here is great with most of the schools being phenomenal. I have a 2 bed apartment thats huge 1400 sqft. that I pay 825 mo. and its one of if not the best apartment in Warner Robins. If you seriously start looking at moving here let me know and I can give you more specifics about areas, schools, and apartments.

As far as the atmosphere for non trads at mercer I would say its really good. There are lots of us so that helps. I see a kid in the student lounge probably once a week, im assuming when people have a hard time with babysitters. I know several single moms are in my school.

Anyways, like I said if you decide to go to Mercer let me know and I will be more than happy to help you guys out as much as I can.

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:31 am

30somethingJD wrote:
hemicat27 wrote:

Yep your right, I am non traditional and I was in the exact same boat as you. I have two kids and my wife had to find a job to supports us. Anyways... let me save you A LOT of time and money. If you have school aged children do not move to Macon and put them in public schools. I put my kids in the "best" school in Bibb county (where macon is) and is was just horrible. My recommendation, and where I live now is Warner Robins, which is just south of Macon. Takes me 20-25 mins to get to Mercer. The school system here is great with most of the schools being phenomenal. I have a 2 bed apartment thats huge 1400 sqft. that I pay 825 mo. and its one of if not the best apartment in Warner Robins. If you seriously start looking at moving here let me know and I can give you more specifics about areas, schools, and apartments.

As far as the atmosphere for non trads at mercer I would say its really good. There are lots of us so that helps. I see a kid in the student lounge probably once a week, im assuming when people have a hard time with babysitters. I know several single moms are in my school.

Anyways, like I said if you decide to go to Mercer let me know and I will be more than happy to help you guys out as much as I can.

Thanks. I was afraid of that with the schools in Macon. We are thinking maybe just north of Macon, since that would keep us a tad closer to our families (just south of Atlanta). I'll PM you if we decide for sure on Mercer, which it looks like we will. Though there is a possibility that I'll wait one more year to start. Just to give us more time to prepare for the move and to get my LSAT score up so I can get more scholarship $$. :D

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:39 am

Has anyone tried to negotiate a scholarship increase? Thinking about trying and wondering if anyone had tried or had any Mercer specific advice on this.

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:43 am

hemicat27 wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate a scholarship increase? Thinking about trying and wondering if anyone had tried or had any Mercer specific advice on this.

I did and they took me from 18K/year to 20K/year

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:55 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
hemicat27 wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate a scholarship increase? Thinking about trying and wondering if anyone had tried or had any Mercer specific advice on this.

Did you do it via email?

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:57 am

hemicat27 wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:

Did you do it via email?

Yeah sent an email out and they got back to me in ~ 1 week. I included COA reasons since they were my highest scholarship at the time.

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
hemicat27 wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:

Did you do it via email?

Yeah sent an email out and they got back to me in ~ 1 week. I included COA reasons since they were my highest scholarship at the time.

Awesome. Thanks!

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Did anybody take the trip for ASW? My favorite part was the Friday night dinner lol.. I was also informed since I came from out of state, I will be receiving a $200 check im the mail in about 2-3 weeks which is pretty sweet considering they paid for everything and I only spent like $20 on the entire trip.

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:53 pm

I was there, but I was only there on Saturday. Was hoping to pick a few TLSers out of the crowd, but I was unsuccessful. Lol

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:19 am

I was also there. I couldn't tell which people were TLSers and which weren't.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:18 pm

CoffeeIsLife wrote:I was also there. I couldn't tell which people were TLSers and which weren't.

So will y'all be attending?

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Young Marino wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:I was also there. I couldn't tell which people were TLSers and which weren't.

I personally will not be attending. Hopefully my $$ goes to some of you guys. I did think it was a beautiful school, but it just didn't feel right for me. Good luck to all of you.

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 pm

Young Marino wrote:

I will be, unless hubby doesn't find a job between now and August. In which case I will defer for a year.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:07 am

Last edited by Young Marino on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”