Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
garrettnicole92
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby garrettnicole92 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Exceptionally disappointed by my scholarship offer, but Mercer's still on my list.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby ggocat » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:58 pm

garrettnicole92 wrote:Exceptionally disappointed by my scholarship offer, but Mercer's still on my list.

I am surprised you didn't get a full ride given your numbers... apply for Woodruff regardless. I know someone only had a half ride but it was bumped up to full after they applied for the Woodruff.

garrettnicole92
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby garrettnicole92 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:22 pm

ggocat wrote:
garrettnicole92 wrote:Exceptionally disappointed by my scholarship offer, but Mercer's still on my list.

I am surprised you didn't get a full ride given your numbers... apply for Woodruff regardless. I know someone only had a half ride but it was bumped up to full after they applied for the Woodruff.


I definitely applied for the Woodruff. Do you have any idea when they make that decision?
I'm thinking about waiting a while and trying to use the fact that I have full ride offers at two other schools to see if I can get some more money. I'd rather pay a little more to stay in state, because Mercer is a better school than the two I have better offers at.

doubledawg3378
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby doubledawg3378 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:37 am

ggocat wrote:Hi y'all. I graduated from Mercer a few years ago. Happy to answer any question if I'm able. Good luck on the apps and scholarship apps. :)


Did you have any trouble with jobs and all after you graduated, in the state of Georgia? I mean any competition with UGA, Emory, or GA State Grads.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby ggocat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:48 pm

doubledawg3378 wrote:
ggocat wrote:Hi y'all. I graduated from Mercer a few years ago. Happy to answer any question if I'm able. Good luck on the apps and scholarship apps. :)

Did you have any trouble with jobs and all after you graduated, in the state of Georgia? I mean any competition with UGA, Emory, or GA State Grads.

I focused my job search outside GA and did not have trouble securing a job before graduating (before starting 3L). Competition may be stiffer in GA, but I don't think my experience is comparable to a GA resident. I had interviews with a handful of large Atlanta firms but no callbacks. I think I received no callbacks because I didn't interview well and/or it was pretty obvious from my resume that I did not intend to stay in GA. Other students with similar and worse grades got callbacks and big firm jobs. I also did not apply broadly in GA; basically just the highest paying firms.

I applied to one federal clerkship in GA and received an interview, but lost out to (I believe) a UGA student. Both of the judge's then-current clerks were Mercer grads, though, so again I think it was me not clicking with the judge rather than Mercer not being good enough.

That being said, there's no denying a pecking order of UGA/Emory > GSU/Mercer > JMLS. GSU and Mercer have similar job #s despite very different US News rankings. Of course that doesn't mean GSU/Mercer grads always lose out to UGA/Emory grads, but to have the same opportunities in more sought-after jobs, you'll need to have higher grades at Mercer compared to UGA/Emory.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby ggocat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:12 pm

garrettnicole92 wrote:I definitely applied for the Woodruff. Do you have any idea when they make that decision?

In the past, I think 10-12 finalists were notified in January/early February. Then those finalists were invited to the school in March, expenses paid. There's a short interview along with a tour, panel Q&A discussions with students/alumni, dinner with current students, and dinner/lunch with faculty and/or alumni. It might change from year to year. I think there are generally 4 recipients.

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby 30somethingJD » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:05 am

Hey everyone...I am a currently enrolled student at Mercer. I just finished exams so I have some free time on my hands. I will be more than happy to field questions. I know this is a very stressful time, trying to make sure you pick the right school and I know I would have loved to been able to candidly talk to students who werent being paid by the admissions office. So... ask away.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby ggocat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:11 am

30somethingJD wrote:Hey everyone...I am a currently enrolled student at Mercer. I just finished exams so I have some free time on my hands.

Hey, nice to see a Mercer student on TLS. Congrats on finishing your exams! You're halfway to the finish line, right? How are your 2L summer plans shaping up? What's your goal for post-grad; what kind of work do you want to do and where?

Vardges
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby Vardges » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:58 pm

30somethingJD wrote:Hey everyone...I am a currently enrolled student at Mercer. I just finished exams so I have some free time on my hands. I will be more than happy to field questions. I know this is a very stressful time, trying to make sure you pick the right school and I know I would have loved to been able to candidly talk to students who werent being paid by the admissions office. So... ask away.



Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. What are the job prospects? Didn't know admission's office actually pays students to say stuff in the school's favor. That sounds sketchy.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby ggocat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Vardges wrote:Didn't know admission's office actually pays students to say stuff in the school's favor. That sounds sketchy.

Some students work part-time in admissions offices at many schools to give tours to prospective students. Personally, I preferred to have tours from students rather than from the permanent staff because they could actually answer questions about student life, the profs, housing, and job hunting.

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby 30somethingJD » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Vardges wrote:
30somethingJD wrote:Hey everyone...I am a currently enrolled student at Mercer. I just finished exams so I have some free time on my hands. I will be more than happy to field questions. I know this is a very stressful time, trying to make sure you pick the right school and I know I would have loved to been able to candidly talk to students who werent being paid by the admissions office. So... ask away.



Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. What are the job prospects? Didn't know admission's office actually pays students to say stuff in the school's favor. That sounds sketchy.


They dont pay students to say good things about the school, like previously stated ALL schools pay (tuition assistance) students to give tours of the schools or to answer phones in the admissions office.

Job prospects is a loaded question. It depends on what you are looking for. Trying to go out of state without ties and/or some work on your part isnt going to happen. But there is someone in my class who will be working at a DA office in NY because they worked it. Big law in Atlanta is only possible in the top 10% unless you have something compelling going on (Masters degree, URM, Know somebody). If you want a Judicial Clerkship I would say Mercer is just as good as any other school in GA. If you want public service I would say you would be as good or better at Mercer than anywhere else in Ga. If you want to work anywhere South of Atlanta Mercer is your best bet. My experience has been networking, tenacity, good grades, and good interviewing will get you anywhere you want to go comming out of Mercer, especially in Ga.

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby 30somethingJD » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:39 pm

ggocat wrote:
30somethingJD wrote:Hey everyone...I am a currently enrolled student at Mercer. I just finished exams so I have some free time on my hands.

Hey, nice to see a Mercer student on TLS. Congrats on finishing your exams! You're halfway to the finish line, right? How are your 2L summer plans shaping up? What's your goal for post-grad; what kind of work do you want to do and where?


Yep halfway there. I have a job secured for this summer its with a Medium/Smallish firm outside of Atlanta. I was looking for non plaintiffs work litigation. I interviewed with most of the Big Law firms in ATL. Did several call backs but I didnt come to law school to do Big Law and I just liked the Mid-law feel better so thats why I took the job I did. (Id much rather be a rockstar early out of the gate 8) ) Post grad I would like to stay in Ga, but not particularly ATL (The traffic and commute is just horrible so I would rather stay in the suburbs if possible) and do corporate or liability defense type litigation in a Mid-Law size firm.

I hope you are doing well, I remember reading your posts 3 years ago when I first started this whole adventure and how helpful they were. That is why I still frequent this place, to share the TLS love to the 0L's. (Of course its difficult with LR and classes and organizations and... )LoL

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby ggocat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 pm

30somethingJD wrote:Yep halfway there. I have a job secured for this summer its with a Medium/Smallish firm outside of Atlanta. I was looking for non plaintiffs work litigation. I interviewed with most of the Big Law firms in ATL. Did several call backs but I didnt come to law school to do Big Law and I just liked the Mid-law feel better so thats why I took the job I did. (Id much rather be a rockstar early out of the gate 8) ) Post grad I would like to stay in Ga, but not particularly ATL (The traffic and commute is just horrible so I would rather stay in the suburbs if possible) and do corporate or liability defense type litigation in a Mid-Law size firm.

I hope you are doing well, I remember reading your posts 3 years ago when I first started this whole adventure and how helpful they were. That is why I still frequent this place, to share the TLS love to the 0L's. (Of course its difficult with LR and classes and organizations and... )LoL

Congrats on getting the job, and good luck with the full-time offer! Oy, third semester at Mercer is a beating when you're on LR if they're still doing LWII then. Smooth sailing from here on... unless you run for the ed board. ;)

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby 30somethingJD » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:44 pm

ggocat wrote:
30somethingJD wrote:Yep halfway there. I have a job secured for this summer its with a Medium/Smallish firm outside of Atlanta. I was looking for non plaintiffs work litigation. I interviewed with most of the Big Law firms in ATL. Did several call backs but I didnt come to law school to do Big Law and I just liked the Mid-law feel better so thats why I took the job I did. (Id much rather be a rockstar early out of the gate 8) ) Post grad I would like to stay in Ga, but not particularly ATL (The traffic and commute is just horrible so I would rather stay in the suburbs if possible) and do corporate or liability defense type litigation in a Mid-Law size firm.

I hope you are doing well, I remember reading your posts 3 years ago when I first started this whole adventure and how helpful they were. That is why I still frequent this place, to share the TLS love to the 0L's. (Of course its difficult with LR and classes and organizations and... )LoL

Congrats on getting the job, and good luck with the full-time offer! Oy, third semester at Mercer is a beating when you're on LR if they're still doing LWII then. Smooth sailing from here on... unless you run for the ed board. ;)


Yep roughest semester yet. LWII was tough with the case note. Not sure about the ed board yet, just depend on if im feeling masochistic or not by the end of the semester. :lol:

travis2008
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby travis2008 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:58 pm

I have a question and it might be dumb but my app went complete on 12/23 and I tried to use status check but I do not have a username and I still have not received an email or anything from mercer about setting a username. I'm not really sure what the deal is. Do I use my LSAC number or something to use status check or will an email be coming in sometime soon?
Any help would be appreciated

garrettnicole92
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby garrettnicole92 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 pm

travis2008 wrote:I have a question and it might be dumb but my app went complete on 12/23 and I tried to use status check but I do not have a username and I still have not received an email or anything from mercer about setting a username. I'm not really sure what the deal is. Do I use my LSAC number or something to use status check or will an email be coming in sometime soon?
Any help would be appreciated


Since your app went complete so close to the holidays there's probably just a delay to get out the status check e-mail.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby Young Marino » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:10 am

garrettnicole92 wrote:Exceptionally disappointed by my scholarship offer, but Mercer's still on my list.

Well that is not good news for me (my numbers are 3.8/154). I'll be finishing up my Woodruff Scholarship essay tomorrow so I'll have everything in on 1/3. It shouldn't be too late to be considered for scholarship right? The website states "Students are encouraged to have materials in by 1/1 for scholarship consideration" I figure they're all on vacation so 2 days shouldn't hurt hopefully lol. I also have a full ride and half tuition scholly from two TTTT in my preferred region so hopefully I can use that as leverage.

Also, the basketball team seems to be pretty good. Given that there isn't really much to do in Macon, is catching a game usually a good time?

30somethingJD
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby 30somethingJD » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:14 am

travis2008 wrote:I have a question and it might be dumb but my app went complete on 12/23 and I tried to use status check but I do not have a username and I still have not received an email or anything from mercer about setting a username. I'm not really sure what the deal is. Do I use my LSAC number or something to use status check or will an email be coming in sometime soon?
Any help would be appreciated



Admissions is out of the office till Jan 6, so I doubt you will see anything happen till after that.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby ggocat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:28 am

Young Marino wrote:Also, the basketball team seems to be pretty good. Given that there isn't really much to do in Macon, is catching a game usually a good time?

I only went to a few games, but they were great. Tickets were free to students, though I'm not sure if that is for all games or just the games I went to.

elideep
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby elideep » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:59 pm

Complete and accepted via status checker, email, and acceptance packet, but I've yet to hear anything about scholarships. Hoping that just means they're holding off to consider me for woodruff. lsdas gpa 3.06, degree gpa 3.96, lsat 168. I'd strongly consider Mercer if I got a full ride, because I'm interested in public interest work, but UGA offered me real decent money so Mercer would have to really offer me a ton to make it a better deal.

Everyone who got money offers, were you informed via email? I've been traveling for holidays so I haven't been home to check my snail mail but also haven't received anything through email.

congrats to all admits and scholly offerees, and good luck to everyone else!

elideep
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby elideep » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:01 pm

travis2008 wrote:I have a question and it might be dumb but my app went complete on 12/23 and I tried to use status check but I do not have a username and I still have not received an email or anything from mercer about setting a username. I'm not really sure what the deal is. Do I use my LSAC number or something to use status check or will an email be coming in sometime soon?
Any help would be appreciated



It was FOREVER before I got email confirmation of a complete app with a status checker username. I submitted all my apps the same week and heard from everyone well before I heard from Mercer. I think they just have a longer turnaround on that, plus holidays slow it down further. I wouldn't stress.

Vardges
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby Vardges » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:20 am

I was informed by email, couple days after my acceptance.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby Young Marino » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:38 pm

In today via email. Any idea how long it'll take to hear back regarding scholarships? I have a meeting set up with them next week so maybe I'll know then?

garrettnicole92
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby garrettnicole92 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Young Marino wrote:In today via email. Any idea how long it'll take to hear back regarding scholarships? I have a meeting set up with them next week so maybe I'll know then?


I got my scholarship info within a couple of days I believe, via e-mail.

cwgray1979
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: Mercer 2013/14 Applicants

Postby cwgray1979 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:48 pm

In at Mercer! :D Any idea if there will be an accepted students' group page? Anyone thinking of apartments/roommates yet?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, BruiseWillis, guybourdin, JD2020, NotAGolfer, potterotter, studyingeveryday and 33 guests