UNC c/o 2017 (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hailcaesar34

Gold

Re: UNC c/o 2017 (2013-2014)

Post by hailcaesar34 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:07 pm

thanks for the info all, might send in an LOCI tomorrow

calawschoolbound24

New

Post by calawschoolbound24 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:18 pm

I received a phone call and was told my official acceptance will be following shortly. It was my number one so I didn't need any time to consider. I put my interest date as the earlier one- July, I think? Good luck to you all!

givemescholly

New

Post by givemescholly » Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:Congrats to all who've been taken off the WL.

Maybe you could also let us know how long you committed to remain on the list (mid July or late August?).
I committed to late August. I was assured at my visit on Monday that the only implication of which date you select is that, after the July date, the pool simply gets smaller.
pketpket wrote:^were you both notified by phone call? Any email or status checker change?

Did they give you any time to consider?

Thanks & Congratulations!
I was notified by phone call. I missed the call and was left a msg at 2:15pm. Returned the call at 5:05 and it was answered. No changes to my status checker, even now. I was too excited and emotional to ask about time to consider (and I'm sure it was obvious it didn't matter much!). I was told that I would be receiving several emails shortly and to look out for info in snail mail (I'm sure the unimpressive acceptance packets I've been reading about) about how to reserve my seat. Didn't ask about and also was not offered info regarding scholarships. I assume this will (or won't, as the case may be) come in the aforementioned emails/snail mail.

apples89

New

Post by apples89 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:22 pm

givemescholly wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:Congrats to all who've been taken off the WL.

Maybe you could also let us know how long you committed to remain on the list (mid July or late August?).
I committed to late August. I was assured at my visit on Monday that the only implication of which date you select is that, after the July date, the pool simply gets smaller.
pketpket wrote:^were you both notified by phone call? Any email or status checker change?

Did they give you any time to consider?

Thanks & Congratulations!
I was notified by phone call. I missed the call and was left a msg at 2:15pm. Returned the call at 5:05 and it was answered. No changes to my status checker, even now. I was too excited and emotional to ask about time to consider (and I'm sure it was obvious it didn't matter much!). I was told that I would be receiving several emails shortly and to look out for info in snail mail (I'm sure the unimpressive acceptance packets I've been reading about) about how to reserve my seat. Didn't ask about and also was not offered info regarding scholarships. I assume this will (or won't, as the case may be) come in the aforementioned emails/snail mail.
Congrats! I guess i'll be seeing you in the fall?

there's a class of 17 thread that's kinda neglected atm, say hi if you plan on attending!

codyal90

New

Post by codyal90 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:59 am

Did everyone who was taken off the wl already send in a LOCI? About to send mine in but I'm curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hailcaesar34

Gold

Post by hailcaesar34 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:53 pm

codyal90 wrote:Did everyone who was taken off the wl already send in a LOCI? About to send mine in but I'm curious.
Was going to send one but got an email yesterday stating "If you are still interested in remaining on the waitlist, THERE IS NO NEED TO CONTACT US TO COMMUNICATE YOUR CONTINUED INTEREST." so idk might not send one now.

lunchmeat

New

Post by lunchmeat » Fri May 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Just got off the WL via email. No LOCI

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Fri May 16, 2014 1:30 pm

lunchmeat wrote:Just got off the WL via email. No LOCI
Stats, OOS, IS?

falzie

New

Post by falzie » Fri May 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Also just got off the waitlist :D ... No LOCI

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Fri May 16, 2014 4:38 pm

falzie wrote:Also just got off the waitlist :D ... No LOCI
Gotta share yer numbers and info bruvh. :)

sunnyd101

New

Post by sunnyd101 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:25 am

Has anyone had any luck with scholarship reconsideration?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue May 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Tue May 20, 2014 12:29 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
sunnyd101 wrote:Has anyone had any luck with scholarship reconsideration?
When I called a few months ago to asked another, unrelated question, the admissions staff member I spoke to brought up scholarships before I could do so and was adamant that they don't negotiate or reconsider scholarship offers at all. It seemed clear to me that they had had a lot of calls of people asking them to match other offers, because this staffer was very defensive and quick to launch into a tirade about how applicants were too entitled where merit scholarship offers were concerned (again, even though I wasn't challenging them at all or even requesting them to reconsider my offer). This individual said something along the lines of, "Just because another school offers an applicant a higher amount doesn't mean they deserve more from us."

I didn't even bother to ask from there--and I was considering popping the question when I decided to call, if I got the sense they would be open to negotiation, because I did have significantly better offers elsewhere. I just politely thanked the staff member for the scholarship offer I had been awarded already (which surprised the staffer, because apparently "no one says thank you!") and withdrew within the week.

I have no doubt that UNC is an outstanding school and that they also are very limited, financially, in the current NC political climate of slashing education funding; however, I think this is a poor strategy on their part. I understand where they're coming from--merit scholarships are a privilege, not a right, and applicants certainly can be demanding--but it's also a business decision. If they want the best applicants, they have compete for them and that might mean offering larger scholarships to fewer applicants.
They even had it in bold and underlined on my admissions letter. I promptly analyzed my COA and withdrew. Refusing to negotiate - and being so explicit about it - is an inane business decision when application numbers are in steep decline across the board. By refusing to negotiate, they are essentially walling out OOS candidates.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

falzie

New

Post by falzie » Tue May 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
falzie wrote:Also just got off the waitlist :D ... No LOCI
Gotta share yer numbers and info bruvh. :)

75% GPA, median LSAT, OOS...but I will be withdrawing as they didn't give me any $$. best of luck to those of you still waiting!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:19 pm

HRomanus wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:
When I called a few months ago to asked another, unrelated question, the admissions staff member I spoke to brought up scholarships before I could do so and was adamant that they don't negotiate or reconsider scholarship offers at all. It seemed clear to me that they had had a lot of calls of people asking them to match other offers, because this staffer was very defensive and quick to launch into a tirade about how applicants were too entitled where merit scholarship offers were concerned (again, even though I wasn't challenging them at all or even requesting them to reconsider my offer). This individual said something along the lines of, "Just because another school offers an applicant a higher amount doesn't mean they deserve more from us."

I didn't even bother to ask from there--and I was considering popping the question when I decided to call, if I got the sense they would be open to negotiation, because I did have significantly better offers elsewhere. I just politely thanked the staff member for the scholarship offer I had been awarded already (which surprised the staffer, because apparently "no one says thank you!") and withdrew within the week.

I have no doubt that UNC is an outstanding school and that they also are very limited, financially, in the current NC political climate of slashing education funding; however, I think this is a poor strategy on their part. I understand where they're coming from--merit scholarships are a privilege, not a right, and applicants certainly can be demanding--but it's also a business decision. If they want the best applicants, they have compete for them and that might mean offering larger scholarships to fewer applicants.
They even had it in bold and underlined on my admissions letter. I promptly analyzed my COA and withdrew. Refusing to negotiate - and being so explicit about it - is an inane business decision when application numbers are in steep decline across the board. By refusing to negotiate, they are essentially walling out OOS candidates.
They do have a tendency to wall out all OOS candidates in general.

sunnyd101

New

Post by sunnyd101 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:55 pm

HRomanus wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:

They mentioned that they would reconsider those who did not initially receive a scholarship after the deposit deadline. It really is disheartening as an OOS applicant. I would love to go to UNC but I don't know if I can justify that sort of debt. I was set on UNC but might have to consider withdrawing at this point :cry:

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue May 20, 2014 5:13 pm

What's the cost to reserve a seat? (Total)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatnoob

New

Post by lsatnoob » Tue May 20, 2014 5:45 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:What's the cost to reserve a seat? (Total)

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue May 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Wed May 21, 2014 1:16 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
HRomanus wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:

They do have a tendency to wall out all OOS candidates in general.
I think it's possible they realize this and don't care.

The person I talked to on the phone told me something that suggested they don't really care about yield in general...it made me uneasy. The staff member said something like, "We're not going to persuade you to come to UNC. We're going to educate you about the opportunities available at UNC, but we're not going to try to talk you into coming." I should add that, like the merit scholarship negotiation rant, this comment too was unprompted / not really relevant to the question I asked. It was the most bizarre conversation I've had with an admissions officer at any school all season :P
I'm surprised. Whenever I reach out, they've been very prompt and friendly. Maybe PM me who you've been speaking with?

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Wed May 21, 2014 4:37 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:They do have a tendency to wall out all OOS candidates in general.
I think it's possible they realize this and don't care.

The person I talked to on the phone told me something that suggested they don't really care about yield in general...it made me uneasy. The staff member said something like, "We're not going to persuade you to come to UNC. We're going to educate you about the opportunities available at UNC, but we're not going to try to talk you into coming." I should add that, like the merit scholarship negotiation rant, this comment too was unprompted / not really relevant to the question I asked. It was the most bizarre conversation I've had with an admissions officer at any school all season :P
Horrible business decision by UNC, if that is an institutional policy and attitude. It also forgets that applicants (especially above median) are the real clients and hold much of the power of negotiation. If I'm at UNC's median, UGA or WF will give me better scholarships with nearly identical USNWR rankings and employment outcomes. I'm above both of UNC's medians and UGA and WF made UNC irrelevant without scholarship negotiation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:05 pm

In off the waitlist, not committed, but looking at housing. Anyone hear about the LUX at Central Park?

A bit pricey for the 1-bedroom, around $900, but it's so close to East Franklin and 30 mins walk from the law school. I know it doesn't open until this summer, however, so is it going to be packed with undergrads or are any law students looking at?

Anyways, feedback please!!

bubc

New

Post by bubc » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Hey everyone, I'm a current law student at UNC. I'm looking to rent out a room in our house. Its $500/month plus shared utilities. You would be living with a rising 2L and a PhD student (female) who are looking for a female roommate, preferably a graduate student. The house is a quiet two-story duplex with 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths with large front deck - just off Purefoy Rd. Lease can start in August 2014. Its about a 5 minute walk to several bus lines, quiet, serene neighborhood, and with ample parking.

The ad for the house is below.

--LinkRemoved--

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:08 am

Yazzzay wrote:In off the waitlist, not committed, but looking at housing. Anyone hear about the LUX at Central Park?

A bit pricey for the 1-bedroom, around $900, but it's so close to East Franklin and 30 mins walk from the law school. I know it doesn't open until this summer, however, so is it going to be packed with undergrads or are any law students looking at?

Anyways, feedback please!!
This is probably way too late and my input doesn't matter at all because I'm sure you've already found housing. But LUX looks incredibly nice. I'm sure there will be plenty of undergrads that are going to live there. I did my UG at UNC and that's a high undergrad living area. However, for a 1-bedroom, you should be absolutely fine. Like I said, it looks really nice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”