Temple c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mach9zero

Re: Temple c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby mach9zero » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:11 am

wheatbar wrote:Does anyone know if you can get in-state status for tuition purposes if you are from out-of-state after your first year (or during your first year)? I used to live in Philly but have lived in California for the past few years so I'm assuming I don't qualify.

Thanks

Unless you have an offer of employment from a Philly law firm, it's realistically impossible. Pennsylvania is one of the hardest states to achieve in-state for once enrolled. I couldn't even get it for undergrad unfortunately.

I also saw some questions about travelling. Within the scope of Philly law schools, Temple, Villanova, and Rutgers all fall within each other employment numbers-wise. There's some variance (Rutgers has higher big law), but it's mostly a wash. Temple definitely has a reputable alumni program, and has a higher percentage of people going out of state, but Villanova's alumni base is nothing to scoff at. As far as reputation, it'll carry across Pennsylvania no-problem.

10romeom

Postby 10romeom » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:27 pm

Can anyone sell me on Temple? I was locked and loaded with villanova, signed a lease in Bryn Mawr, and then Temple offered me a Full Ride (to match Nova.) I would make the jump but i'm wary of commuting from bryn mawr everyday via regional rail. Thoughts?

jt262

Postby jt262 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:00 pm

10romeom wrote:Can anyone sell me on Temple? I was locked and loaded with villanova, signed a lease in Bryn Mawr, and then Temple offered me a Full Ride (to match Nova.) I would make the jump but i'm wary of commuting from bryn mawr everyday via regional rail. Thoughts?

I can't tell from your post if you actually want to be at Nova, but need a reason to say "no" to Temple, or if Temple was your first choice but just don't want the commute.

If the latter is the case, don't let a train ride be the reason you don't go to Temple.

I commuted from Bucks County (about 90 minutes each way) every day 1L year. It wasn't fun, but was very do-able. I also had a buddy in a similar situation to you, he commuted from the Main Line area, and he also did very well. It's really not that big of a deal and the train ride actually is a nice way to open and close your day. (The quiet ride car can be your friend)

Anyway, Temple is great. I'm happy I went there and I got the job I wanted. Nova is perfectly fine, too. I don't know if there's a big difference in the job placement between the two. If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to try and help.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”