Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lulu_O

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Lulu_O » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:33 pm

anjmissy wrote:Rising 3L here, here is an article on ATL all individuals considering W&L should read

http://www.atlredline.com/wherein-black ... 1563475603

The students who formed this group are not representative of all URMs who attend W&L law. I am in no way disregarding or condemning their feelings or actions. In fact, there are many URM and non-URM law students that agree with some or all of their points. But not all W&L URM support the method behind this movement.

Please read this article with discernment and definitely reach out to any URMs on here if you have more questions. Please do not get the idea that W&L is rife with racism at every single corner. Know that as a URM, there will always be fewer of us no matter where you go (unless you go to Howard or a school with similar makeup). This is the reality of the legal market, those applying to law school and honestly, the professional world. To isolate W&L as the only school where you will realize that you are a minority would be unjust. You will realize it whether you go to Harvard or Thomas Cooley, whether you are on the east or west coast of this country, you will be aware of it whether your class size is 10 or 450.

Law school will be uncomfortable no matter where you go as a URM. You will remember what you are a URM many times but you should also not let that control you. Do not let this stop you from getting a good legal education at a good school.
Last edited by Lulu_O on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Annie787

Postby Annie787 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:56 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Was anybody able to negotiate a scholarship increase?
Trying to see if the school is handing out more money this year. I think they got a pretty large sum of money... but it may be all going to the major renovation they're doing to the library.

Just curious

I negotiated on my scholly, they didn't give me a ton more but they did up it by a few thousand a year.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Annie787 wrote:
Trying to see if the school is handing out more money this year. I think they got a pretty large sum of money... but it may be all going to the major renovation they're doing to the library.

Just curious

I negotiated on my scholly, they didn't give me a ton more but they did up it by a few thousand a year.

wow, well I guess that's a first.
I've never heard of this happening before. Congrats!

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:37 pm

BuffaloSoldier wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Rising 3L here, here is an article on ATL all individuals considering W&L should read

Current W&L URM student. Just thought I'd comment on this article. It is by no means representative of the URM community's sentiment and is actually the work of a mis-guided, radical rising 3L. The great majority of us are very happy with W&L. Come visit and ask around.

so how am i a misguided radical to have to walk through campus, passing confederates holding confederate flags on campus, to get to school on lee jackson day..yea, the school allows confederates to march through campus and I'm the radical one..right..well if your definition of being radical means standing up to an institution that makes me and other students feel uncomfortable, then ok, i am radical.

Annie787

Postby Annie787 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 am

lhanvt13 wrote:
Annie787 wrote:

Just curious

Really? Well that's cool I'll just feel special then :) thank you!

imnottelling

Postby imnottelling » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:11 pm

anjmissy wrote:
BuffaloSoldier wrote:

Current W&L URM student. Just thought I'd comment on this article. It is by no means representative of the URM community's sentiment and is actually the work of a mis-guided, radical rising 3L. The great majority of us are very happy with W&L. Come visit and ask around.

so how am i a misguided radical to have to walk through campus, passing confederates holding confederate flags on campus, to get to school on lee jackson day..yea, the school allows confederates to march through campus and I'm the radical one..right..well if your definition of being radical means standing up to an institution that makes me and other students feel uncomfortable, then ok, i am radical.

This is not the proper forum for this discussion.

Lulu_O

Postby Lulu_O » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:43 pm

imnottelling wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
BuffaloSoldier wrote:

+1

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:45 pm

imnottelling wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
BuffaloSoldier wrote:

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:08 am

anjmissy wrote:
BuffaloSoldier wrote:

This forum is not for discussion of the merits of attending a particular school - it's for documenting acceptances/waitlists/denials, so applicants can figure out what's going on with the application cycle. You're free to post about this issue in Choosing a Law School.

krnpridejk

Postby krnpridejk » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:22 am

Just withdrew. That should be 160K+ going back into the pool for you guys. Hope all of that goes to you all! ^^ Good luck to everyone still waiting on acceptance/scholarship! ;)

ghostbuster505

Postby ghostbuster505 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:13 pm

i've been lurking for a while and now I'm starting to get curious... has anyone on the waitlist heard from w&l?

ojala

Postby ojala » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Annie787 wrote:

Just curious

I also was able to negotiate a scholarship increase, by about 40k

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:42 pm

ojala wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
Annie787 wrote:

Just curious

I also was able to negotiate a scholarship increase, by about 40k

holy hell. that's a lot. Congrats

RunningFeatherFinish

Postby RunningFeatherFinish » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am

I was also able to negotiate an increase a few weeks ago; approx 10K more. Looks like they are more open to it this year than in previous years.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 am

RunningFeatherFinish wrote:I was also able to negotiate an increase a few weeks ago; approx 10K more. Looks like they are more open to it this year than in previous years.

I wonder why :o

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
RunningFeatherFinish wrote:I was also able to negotiate an increase a few weeks ago; approx 10K more. Looks like they are more open to it this year than in previous years.

I wonder why :o

:lol:

simplelyfe

Postby simplelyfe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Any waitlist movement? This is starting to get nauseating. In years past it looks like they start taking people off in the beginning of May... with the drop in rankings this year I thought it would have been earlier.

apples89

Postby apples89 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:35 pm

simplelyfe wrote:Any waitlist movement? This is starting to get nauseating. In years past it looks like they start taking people off in the beginning of May... with the drop in rankings this year I thought it would have been earlier.

got an email today about the WL, looking at the apps again and making decisions soon.

should get emails this afternoon or monday, it said.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Fri May 02, 2014 2:19 pm

apples89 wrote:
simplelyfe wrote:Any waitlist movement? This is starting to get nauseating. In years past it looks like they start taking people off in the beginning of May... with the drop in rankings this year I thought it would have been earlier.

got an email today about the WL, looking at the apps again and making decisions soon.

I got this email too.

Does this mean they'll let us know MORE general info today or Monday *OR* we'll know if we got in?

apples89

Postby apples89 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:55 pm

apples89 wrote:

I got this email too.

Does this mean they'll let us know MORE general info today or Monday *OR* we'll know if we got in?

I glanced over the email too fast today because I was busy, now that i've looked closer it seems to say that they asked adcom for "feedback" on wait listed people, and the "feedback" will be in by Mon. I assume some people will get in off the WL by Mon or early next week. Then it seems like they want to move ahead in small 2 week batches based on who deposits.

Is there any reason I should ride this out? I might just withdraw if I don't hear anything next week.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat May 03, 2014 8:18 am

apples89 wrote:
apples89 wrote:

I got this email too.

I glanced over the email too fast today because I was busy, now that i've looked closer it seems to say that they asked adcom for "feedback" on wait listed people, and the "feedback" will be in by Mon. I assume some people will get in off the WL by Mon or early next week. Then it seems like they want to move ahead in small 2 week batches based on who deposits.

Is there any reason I should ride this out? I might just withdraw if I don't hear anything next week.

That's a pretty personal decision.

ghostbuster505

Postby ghostbuster505 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:45 pm

didn't get the aforementioned email. anyone else in a similar boat?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun May 04, 2014 8:39 pm

ghostbuster505 wrote:didn't get the aforementioned email. anyone else in a similar boat?

What are your #s?

klondike5

Postby klondike5 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:33 pm

In off the waitlist today with scholarship so it looks like there is movement for those still waiting. Question about scholarship wording. When it says "You will be offered a scholarship of $X which is automatically renewed for your second and third years of law school as long as you maintain good academic standing and a standard of behavior representative of a prospective member of the legal profession" does that mean I get X per year or total for all three years? It seems higher than my numbers would dictate especially, but maybe they REALLY need my 163 for some reason.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:04 pm

klondike5 wrote:In off the waitlist today with scholarship so it looks like there is movement for those still waiting. Question about scholarship wording. When it says "You will be offered a scholarship of $X which is automatically renewed for your second and third years of law school as long as you maintain good academic standing and a standard of behavior representative of a prospective member of the legal profession" does that mean I get X per year or total for all three years? It seems higher than my numbers would dictate especially, but maybe they REALLY need my 163 for some reason.

Per year iirc

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”