Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lulu_O
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:10 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Lulu_O » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:33 pm

anjmissy wrote:Rising 3L here, here is an article on ATL all individuals considering W&L should read

http://www.atlredline.com/wherein-black ... 1563475603


The students who formed this group are not representative of all URMs who attend W&L law. I am in no way disregarding or condemning their feelings or actions. In fact, there are many URM and non-URM law students that agree with some or all of their points. But not all W&L URM support the method behind this movement.

Please read this article with discernment and definitely reach out to any URMs on here if you have more questions. Please do not get the idea that W&L is rife with racism at every single corner. Know that as a URM, there will always be fewer of us no matter where you go (unless you go to Howard or a school with similar makeup). This is the reality of the legal market, those applying to law school and honestly, the professional world. To isolate W&L as the only school where you will realize that you are a minority would be unjust. You will realize it whether you go to Harvard or Thomas Cooley, whether you are on the east or west coast of this country, you will be aware of it whether your class size is 10 or 450.

Law school will be uncomfortable no matter where you go as a URM. You will remember what you are a URM many times but you should also not let that control you. Do not let this stop you from getting a good legal education at a good school.
Last edited by Lulu_O on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Annie787
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Annie787 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:56 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Was anybody able to negotiate a scholarship increase?
Trying to see if the school is handing out more money this year. I think they got a pretty large sum of money... but it may be all going to the major renovation they're doing to the library.

Just curious


I negotiated on my scholly, they didn't give me a ton more but they did up it by a few thousand a year.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Annie787 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Was anybody able to negotiate a scholarship increase?
Trying to see if the school is handing out more money this year. I think they got a pretty large sum of money... but it may be all going to the major renovation they're doing to the library.

Just curious


I negotiated on my scholly, they didn't give me a ton more but they did up it by a few thousand a year.

wow, well I guess that's a first.
I've never heard of this happening before. Congrats!

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby anjmissy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:37 pm

BuffaloSoldier wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Rising 3L here, here is an article on ATL all individuals considering W&L should read

http://www.atlredline.com/wherein-black ... 1563475603


Current W&L URM student. Just thought I'd comment on this article. It is by no means representative of the URM community's sentiment and is actually the work of a mis-guided, radical rising 3L. The great majority of us are very happy with W&L. Come visit and ask around.


so how am i a misguided radical to have to walk through campus, passing confederates holding confederate flags on campus, to get to school on lee jackson day..yea, the school allows confederates to march through campus and I'm the radical one..right..well if your definition of being radical means standing up to an institution that makes me and other students feel uncomfortable, then ok, i am radical.

User avatar
Annie787
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Annie787 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 am

lhanvt13 wrote:
Annie787 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Was anybody able to negotiate a scholarship increase?
Trying to see if the school is handing out more money this year. I think they got a pretty large sum of money... but it may be all going to the major renovation they're doing to the library.

Just curious


I negotiated on my scholly, they didn't give me a ton more but they did up it by a few thousand a year.

wow, well I guess that's a first.
I've never heard of this happening before. Congrats!

Really? Well that's cool I'll just feel special then :) thank you!

imnottelling
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby imnottelling » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:11 pm

anjmissy wrote:
BuffaloSoldier wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Rising 3L here, here is an article on ATL all individuals considering W&L should read

http://www.atlredline.com/wherein-black ... 1563475603


Current W&L URM student. Just thought I'd comment on this article. It is by no means representative of the URM community's sentiment and is actually the work of a mis-guided, radical rising 3L. The great majority of us are very happy with W&L. Come visit and ask around.


so how am i a misguided radical to have to walk through campus, passing confederates holding confederate flags on campus, to get to school on lee jackson day..yea, the school allows confederates to march through campus and I'm the radical one..right..well if your definition of being radical means standing up to an institution that makes me and other students feel uncomfortable, then ok, i am radical.


This is not the proper forum for this discussion.

Lulu_O
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:10 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Lulu_O » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:43 pm

imnottelling wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
BuffaloSoldier wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Rising 3L here, here is an article on ATL all individuals considering W&L should read

http://www.atlredline.com/wherein-black ... 1563475603


Current W&L URM student. Just thought I'd comment on this article. It is by no means representative of the URM community's sentiment and is actually the work of a mis-guided, radical rising 3L. The great majority of us are very happy with W&L. Come visit and ask around.


so how am i a misguided radical to have to walk through campus, passing confederates holding confederate flags on campus, to get to school on lee jackson day..yea, the school allows confederates to march through campus and I'm the radical one..right..well if your definition of being radical means standing up to an institution that makes me and other students feel uncomfortable, then ok, i am radical.


This is not the proper forum for this discussion.


+1

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:45 pm

imnottelling wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
BuffaloSoldier wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Rising 3L here, here is an article on ATL all individuals considering W&L should read

http://www.atlredline.com/wherein-black ... 1563475603


Current W&L URM student. Just thought I'd comment on this article. It is by no means representative of the URM community's sentiment and is actually the work of a mis-guided, radical rising 3L. The great majority of us are very happy with W&L. Come visit and ask around.


so how am i a misguided radical to have to walk through campus, passing confederates holding confederate flags on campus, to get to school on lee jackson day..yea, the school allows confederates to march through campus and I'm the radical one..right..well if your definition of being radical means standing up to an institution that makes me and other students feel uncomfortable, then ok, i am radical.


This is not the proper forum for this discussion.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22773
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:08 am

anjmissy wrote:
BuffaloSoldier wrote:
anjmissy wrote:Rising 3L here, here is an article on ATL all individuals considering W&L should read

http://www.atlredline.com/wherein-black ... 1563475603


Current W&L URM student. Just thought I'd comment on this article. It is by no means representative of the URM community's sentiment and is actually the work of a mis-guided, radical rising 3L. The great majority of us are very happy with W&L. Come visit and ask around.


so how am i a misguided radical to have to walk through campus, passing confederates holding confederate flags on campus, to get to school on lee jackson day..yea, the school allows confederates to march through campus and I'm the radical one..right..well if your definition of being radical means standing up to an institution that makes me and other students feel uncomfortable, then ok, i am radical.

This forum is not for discussion of the merits of attending a particular school - it's for documenting acceptances/waitlists/denials, so applicants can figure out what's going on with the application cycle. You're free to post about this issue in Choosing a Law School.

krnpridejk
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby krnpridejk » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:22 am

Just withdrew. That should be 160K+ going back into the pool for you guys. Hope all of that goes to you all! ^^ Good luck to everyone still waiting on acceptance/scholarship! ;)

ghostbuster505
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ghostbuster505 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:13 pm

i've been lurking for a while and now I'm starting to get curious... has anyone on the waitlist heard from w&l?

ojala
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:06 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ojala » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Annie787 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Was anybody able to negotiate a scholarship increase?
Trying to see if the school is handing out more money this year. I think they got a pretty large sum of money... but it may be all going to the major renovation they're doing to the library.

Just curious


I negotiated on my scholly, they didn't give me a ton more but they did up it by a few thousand a year.

wow, well I guess that's a first.
I've never heard of this happening before. Congrats!


I also was able to negotiate a scholarship increase, by about 40k

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:42 pm

ojala wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
Annie787 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Was anybody able to negotiate a scholarship increase?
Trying to see if the school is handing out more money this year. I think they got a pretty large sum of money... but it may be all going to the major renovation they're doing to the library.

Just curious


I negotiated on my scholly, they didn't give me a ton more but they did up it by a few thousand a year.

wow, well I guess that's a first.
I've never heard of this happening before. Congrats!


I also was able to negotiate a scholarship increase, by about 40k

holy hell. that's a lot. Congrats

RunningFeatherFinish
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby RunningFeatherFinish » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am

I was also able to negotiate an increase a few weeks ago; approx 10K more. Looks like they are more open to it this year than in previous years.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 am

RunningFeatherFinish wrote:I was also able to negotiate an increase a few weeks ago; approx 10K more. Looks like they are more open to it this year than in previous years.


I wonder why :o

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
RunningFeatherFinish wrote:I was also able to negotiate an increase a few weeks ago; approx 10K more. Looks like they are more open to it this year than in previous years.


I wonder why :o

:lol:

simplelyfe
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby simplelyfe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:04 pm

Any waitlist movement? This is starting to get nauseating. In years past it looks like they start taking people off in the beginning of May... with the drop in rankings this year I thought it would have been earlier.

apples89
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby apples89 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:35 pm

simplelyfe wrote:Any waitlist movement? This is starting to get nauseating. In years past it looks like they start taking people off in the beginning of May... with the drop in rankings this year I thought it would have been earlier.

got an email today about the WL, looking at the apps again and making decisions soon.

should get emails this afternoon or monday, it said.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Fri May 02, 2014 2:19 pm

apples89 wrote:
simplelyfe wrote:Any waitlist movement? This is starting to get nauseating. In years past it looks like they start taking people off in the beginning of May... with the drop in rankings this year I thought it would have been earlier.

got an email today about the WL, looking at the apps again and making decisions soon.

should get emails this afternoon or monday, it said.


I got this email too.

Does this mean they'll let us know MORE general info today or Monday *OR* we'll know if we got in?

apples89
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby apples89 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
apples89 wrote:
simplelyfe wrote:Any waitlist movement? This is starting to get nauseating. In years past it looks like they start taking people off in the beginning of May... with the drop in rankings this year I thought it would have been earlier.

got an email today about the WL, looking at the apps again and making decisions soon.

should get emails this afternoon or monday, it said.


I got this email too.

Does this mean they'll let us know MORE general info today or Monday *OR* we'll know if we got in?

I glanced over the email too fast today because I was busy, now that i've looked closer it seems to say that they asked adcom for "feedback" on wait listed people, and the "feedback" will be in by Mon. I assume some people will get in off the WL by Mon or early next week. Then it seems like they want to move ahead in small 2 week batches based on who deposits.

Is there any reason I should ride this out? I might just withdraw if I don't hear anything next week.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat May 03, 2014 8:18 am

apples89 wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
apples89 wrote:
simplelyfe wrote:Any waitlist movement? This is starting to get nauseating. In years past it looks like they start taking people off in the beginning of May... with the drop in rankings this year I thought it would have been earlier.

got an email today about the WL, looking at the apps again and making decisions soon.

should get emails this afternoon or monday, it said.


I got this email too.

Does this mean they'll let us know MORE general info today or Monday *OR* we'll know if we got in?

I glanced over the email too fast today because I was busy, now that i've looked closer it seems to say that they asked adcom for "feedback" on wait listed people, and the "feedback" will be in by Mon. I assume some people will get in off the WL by Mon or early next week. Then it seems like they want to move ahead in small 2 week batches based on who deposits.

Is there any reason I should ride this out? I might just withdraw if I don't hear anything next week.


That's a pretty personal decision.

ghostbuster505
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ghostbuster505 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:45 pm

didn't get the aforementioned email. anyone else in a similar boat?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun May 04, 2014 8:39 pm

ghostbuster505 wrote:didn't get the aforementioned email. anyone else in a similar boat?


What are your #s?

klondike5
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:13 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby klondike5 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:33 pm

In off the waitlist today with scholarship so it looks like there is movement for those still waiting. Question about scholarship wording. When it says "You will be offered a scholarship of $X which is automatically renewed for your second and third years of law school as long as you maintain good academic standing and a standard of behavior representative of a prospective member of the legal profession" does that mean I get X per year or total for all three years? It seems higher than my numbers would dictate especially, but maybe they REALLY need my 163 for some reason.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:04 pm

klondike5 wrote:In off the waitlist today with scholarship so it looks like there is movement for those still waiting. Question about scholarship wording. When it says "You will be offered a scholarship of $X which is automatically renewed for your second and third years of law school as long as you maintain good academic standing and a standard of behavior representative of a prospective member of the legal profession" does that mean I get X per year or total for all three years? It seems higher than my numbers would dictate especially, but maybe they REALLY need my 163 for some reason.

Per year iirc




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”