Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CJ Cregg
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:10 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby CJ Cregg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Me too!

CJ Cregg
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:10 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby CJ Cregg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:37 pm

CJ Cregg wrote:Me too!

And I'm in :mrgreen:

maple22
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby maple22 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Just got accepted via status checker! :D

apartius
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby apartius » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Waitlisted :(

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Attax » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Hey guys, I was accepted about a month ago. Anyone hear anything regarding $$$ yet?

Elegavie
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Elegavie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:13 pm

I just checked my status checker and it says "Scholarship Award Mailed" with 1/15 as the date. So presumably we should start hearing pretty soon.

lawskewl13
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawskewl13 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Elegavie wrote:I just checked my status checker and it says "Scholarship Award Mailed" with 1/15 as the date. So presumably we should start hearing pretty soon.


Same. Hoping for some big $$!

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Attax » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:27 pm

Oh hey me too!!!

Creditisgood
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Creditisgood » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:15 pm

I am in. :lol:

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Recent announcement states that, at least for current scholarship holders (current 1Ls-3Ls), there will no longer be a GPA stipulation. IMO, probably going to be the same for you guys. Good luck.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Attax » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:45 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Recent announcement states that, at least for current scholarship holders (current 1Ls-3Ls), there will no longer be a GPA stipulation. IMO, probably going to be the same for you guys. Good luck.


Yeah, i checked the web site, under our admitted students page it says "in good standing"

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lhanvt13 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Attax wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Recent announcement states that, at least for current scholarship holders (current 1Ls-3Ls), there will no longer be a GPA stipulation. IMO, probably going to be the same for you guys. Good luck.


Yeah, i checked the web site, under our admitted students page it says "in good standing"

Good god, there's gonna be droves of new 1Ls coming in next year...

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Attax » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:20 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Attax wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Recent announcement states that, at least for current scholarship holders (current 1Ls-3Ls), there will no longer be a GPA stipulation. IMO, probably going to be the same for you guys. Good luck.


Yeah, i checked the web site, under our admitted students page it says "in good standing"

Good god, there's gonna be droves of new 1Ls coming in next year...


Why do you say that? They're just adapting a policy many schools have been.

Although, with good money, I'd be convinced to go if Texas doesn't match.

Creditisgood
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Creditisgood » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 am

Applied to WL because it is ranked 26. I am in. I never heard of the name before applying. I am now looking at the employment score and I am perplex. How do they manage to be 26?
According to LST their employment score is 49pct.
WM at 73pct is ranked 33
BC at 65pct is 31
Fordham at 62pct is 38
WL at 49pct is 26 :?:

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Attax » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:11 am

Because if you think USNWR rankings = job outcomes outside the T14/T20 (depending on how liberal you are with these things), you're gonna have a bad time.

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:57 am

Creditisgood wrote:Applied to WL because it is ranked 26. I am in. I never heard of the name before applying. I am now looking at the employment score and I am perplex. How do they manage to be 26?
According to LST their employment score is 49pct.
WM at 73pct is ranked 33
BC at 65pct is 31
Fordham at 62pct is 38
WL at 49pct is 26 :?:


I don't know specifically why their numbers are so low at W&L, but don't forget that schools report employment differently. It may be that they go the extra mile to get responses from more graduates (excluding those who don't respond immediately keeps the percentages higher because those who don't respond are more likely to be unemployed). If that's the case, schools with lower numbers may simply be offering a more realistic snapshot of their success with job placement.

More importantly, a lot of schools inflate their statistics. For example (and this is pretty common), many schools, as they approach the reporting deadline, contact grads who are unemployed and say "Hey, you're not working at the moment and we have a few weeks work as an [insert law-related temp position here, eg. Admissions Ambassador, etc]." They offer a nice paycheck for 2 weeks of easy work, so plenty of unemployed grads accept. Then those grads are technically employed in JD-required jobs (because guess who writes the requirements for "Admissions Ambassador?") for the two weeks during which the stats are reported (the only time those people have to be employed in order to be counted). There's no requirement that those jobs be permanent, they just have to be current at the time the stats are released. Now they have higher employment numbers, you have one excellent pay period dotting a sea of joblessness, and next year's applicants think "Hey, I should apply there because so many of their graduates have jobs!"

Honestly, the craziness about the lack of law jobs is understandable, but reactionary. It's all cyclical, like in any other field. Look how many schools have lowered class sizes (the only way in which application numbers really relates to your getting a job after graduating). Give it a few years (like, maybe 3?) and you will see a lot of jobs opening up. Don't forget that even after the first wave of the legal job market crisis, when things started to improve, many jobs went back to experienced lawyers who'd been laid off or unable to get a job after graduation. By 3 years from now it's very likely that a HUGE majority of the new jobs will be going to new graduates again. This happens in every field, every 10-20 years or so depending on the field - law just isn't exempt from it anymore.

Just my opinion, but it's based on a pretty good understanding of higher ed trends.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Attax » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:59 am

PattyCake wrote:
Creditisgood wrote:Applied to WL because it is ranked 26. I am in. I never heard of the name before applying. I am now looking at the employment score and I am perplex. How do they manage to be 26?
According to LST their employment score is 49pct.
WM at 73pct is ranked 33
BC at 65pct is 31
Fordham at 62pct is 38
WL at 49pct is 26 :?:


I don't know specifically why their numbers are so low at W&L, but don't forget that schools report employment differently. It may be that they go the extra mile to get responses from more graduates (excluding those who don't respond immediately keeps the percentages higher because those who don't respond are more likely to be unemployed). If that's the case, schools with lower numbers may simply be offering a more realistic snapshot of their success with job placement.

More importantly, a lot of schools inflate their statistics. For example (and this is pretty common), many schools, as they approach the reporting deadline, contact grads who are unemployed and say "Hey, you're not working at the moment and we have a few weeks work as an [insert law-related temp position here, eg. Admissions Ambassador, etc]." They offer a nice paycheck for 2 weeks of easy work, so plenty of unemployed grads accept. Then those grads are technically employed in JD-required jobs (because guess who writes the requirements for "Admissions Ambassador?") for the two weeks during which the stats are reported (the only time those people have to be employed in order to be counted). There's no requirement that those jobs be permanent, they just have to be current at the time the stats are released. Now they have higher employment numbers, you have one excellent pay period dotting a sea of joblessness, and next year's applicants think "Hey, I should apply there because so many of their graduates have jobs!"

Honestly, the craziness about the lack of law jobs is understandable, but reactionary. It's all cyclical, like in any other field. Look how many schools have lowered class sizes (the only way in which application numbers really relates to your getting a job after graduating). Give it a few years (like, maybe 3?) and you will see a lot of jobs opening up. Don't forget that even after the first wave of the legal job market crisis, when things started to improve, many jobs went back to experienced lawyers who'd been laid off or unable to get a job after graduation. By 3 years from now it's very likely that a HUGE majority of the new jobs will be going to new graduates again. This happens in every field, every 10-20 years or so depending on the field - law just isn't exempt from it anymore.

Just my opinion, but it's based on a pretty good understanding of higher ed trends.


Good to hear as someone that will be graduating in 3 years!

Also, something to consider, is W&L's size may influence things. Less alumni=less connections. For every unemployed/undermployed person that is nearly 1-2% so can make a significant difference fast, especially if they aren't even seeking employment.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jk148706 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:02 am

PattyCake wrote: Give it a few years (like, maybe 3?) and you will see a lot of jobs opening up. Don't forget that even after the first wave of the legal job market crisis, when things started to improve, many jobs went back to experienced lawyers who'd been laid off or unable to get a job after graduation. By 3 years from now it's very likely that a HUGE majority of the new jobs will be going to new graduates again. This happens in every field, every 10-20 years or so depending on the field - law just isn't exempt from it anymore.


Idk.. I don't see any evidence to support this theory that the jobs will just come back

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:16 am

jk148706 wrote:
PattyCake wrote: Give it a few years (like, maybe 3?) and you will see a lot of jobs opening up. Don't forget that even after the first wave of the legal job market crisis, when things started to improve, many jobs went back to experienced lawyers who'd been laid off or unable to get a job after graduation. By 3 years from now it's very likely that a HUGE majority of the new jobs will be going to new graduates again. This happens in every field, every 10-20 years or so depending on the field - law just isn't exempt from it anymore.


Idk.. I don't see any evidence to support this theory that the jobs will just come back


It's not about "coming back," it's about who they're going to. You won't see any past evidence in the legal job market, because this is the first time the field has been subject to this - there's no history for it. Don't forget, this hasn't been going on as long as it seems, it's one period that hasn't ended yet in a new type of cycle. If you want supporting evidence, look how law schools are responding (or being urged to respond) to the crisis. All the changes that are being made, from laying off faculty and lowering salaries to cutting class sizes and program length (2 year programs are going to spring up left and right in the next few years), is bringing legal education more in line with other types of grad schools. And if you look at all educational trends instead of just the one, you see that law is no longer nearly as far off from other fields as they once were - jobs are just low, it's not only law jobs.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2380
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm

I can't say about the employment statistics mainly because I don't know anybody from that class personally, but most current students I've spoken to have offers from the type of employment that they've been gunning for (big law and a few big PI with a sprinkle of gov).

Keep in mind that this is just my experience from talking to people I've met and is not a comprehensive sample size.

In response to attax and related comments, yeah many schools have been getting rid of their hard GPA cutoffs for scholarships. I just think that a lot of prospective students decide not to go to certain schools because they're afraid to lose their scholarship, which is completely rational. I feel like W&L always had a "good standing" policy despite their GPA cutoff because hardly anyone has lost their scholarship in the past, like, 10 years. Maybe they're really good at picking out students who are going to do well in law school and barely any of those students end up below the cutoff but that's highly unlikely.
The droves comment was mainly referring to the type of people that usually wouldn't have accepted but likely would have given the change in circumstance. They're likely going to give out scholarships to a smaller number of people so that, even if a larger number of people accept, the total number of students will still even out.

Although, with good money, I'd be convinced to go if Texas doesn't match.

Where do you want to work/what do you want to do. IMO, I'd say don't even think about w&l if UT matches scholly, unless you want to work in Virginia.

Also, to note. I've never heard of a single person being able to negotiate scholly with W&L. They just don't budge.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Attax » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:35 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
Although, with good money, I'd be convinced to go if Texas doesn't match.

Where do you want to work/what do you want to do. IMO, I'd say don't even think about w&l if UT matches scholly, unless you want to work in Virginia.

Also, to note. I've never heard of a single person being able to negotiate scholly with W&L. They just don't budge.


I thought the rest was good commentary, but that's good to know they don't budge. I'm not expecting them to give a full ride, but they've definitely been pulling some interest recently. And I don't care about where I work. I spent my whole life moving every 4 years or so, so don't have any strong ties anywhere other than I've been in Texas the past 8ish years.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Attax » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Bumpity bump bump bump with $35k/year!

Numbers in profile
Stips: Good standing.

User avatar
logical seasoning
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby logical seasoning » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm

Accepted just over a month ago and got scholly info right now.

40,000 a year, no stips
3.8/167

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Attax » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:51 am

logical seasoning wrote:Accepted just over a month ago and got scholly info right now.

40,000 a year, no stips
3.8/167


Congrats! Feels nice to get some worthwhile money from somewhere! I appreciate that W&L is just throwing lots of money rather than waitlisting me like other places.

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: Washington and Lee C/O 2017, Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby monsterman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 am

logical seasoning wrote:Accepted just over a month ago and got scholly info right now.

40,000 a year, no stips
3.8/167


Samesies.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajoelles and 7 guests