Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KD35

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:19 pm

cmroberto wrote:just applied last week (SO LATE, I KNOW). 161/3.899. chance of admission/scholarship money? I love SoCal and want to pursue entertainment law. rejected from UCLA (no shocker there), still waiting on USC, UCI, and Loyola. anyone with similar numbers already accepted and/or offered money?

Here's what it has looked like according to myLSN.info for those near you. You should definitely be in (they will love the GPA), and should get some money. Depending on how the app period has been so far, who knows how much you'll get. But should be getting something.

cmroberto

Postby cmroberto » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 am

[quote="KD35"][quote="cmroberto"]just applied last week (SO LATE, I KNOW). 161/3.899. chance of admission/scholarship money? I love SoCal and want to pursue entertainment law. rejected from UCLA (no shocker there), still waiting on USC, UCI, and Loyola. anyone with similar numbers already accepted and/or offered money?[/quote]

Here's what it has looked like according to myLSN.info for those near you. You should definitely be in (they will love the GPA), and should get some money. Depending on how the app period has been so far, who knows how much you'll get. But should be getting something.

[url=http://mylsn.info/72h687][img]http://myLSN.info/72h687_58-62.jpg[/img][/url][/quote]

thanks, let's hope I'm in with major money - I got into Wake Forest and I don't think I could turn that down for Pepp without a serious scholarship offer. I appreciate the positive energy haha

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:06 am

Not applying, but had an ex-girlfriend that went here, and the school/view was better looking than she was. Good luck to y'all.

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:44 am

Kanye West wrote:Not applying, but had an ex-girlfriend that went here, and the school/view was better looking than she was. Good luck to y'all.

+infinity for this

But isn't it easier to be better looking if you're Malibu? :?

KD35

Postby KD35 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:07 am

mes10d wrote:
Kanye West wrote:Not applying, but had an ex-girlfriend that went here, and the school/view was better looking than she was. Good luck to y'all.

+infinity for this

Not even close to the truth. That being said, there are a lot of people with lots of family/daddy $$$ here so they at least have nice things/makeup to make themselves look better

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:06 pm

KD35 wrote:
mes10d wrote:

+infinity for this

Not even close to the truth. That being said, there are a lot of people with lots of family/daddy $$$ here so they at least have nice things/makeup to make themselves look better

I should've been more clear, my bad! I meant the city of Malibu, since Kanye was referring to the school/view.I feel like it's pretty hard to top waking up and looking at the ocean every morning, but that's just me.

krispymenudo

Postby krispymenudo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Anyone wanna start a C/O 2017 thread for us admitted students? I would but my allegiance isn't 100% solidified yet.

Avo11

Postby Avo11 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Stupidly made a topic for my post in this, so bare with my on my forum skills. I was accepted 25 days after applying in November. I am excited about Pepperdine and the apparent community-like culture of the law school...still waiting on other schools but leaning towards Pepperdine. Congrats to others accepted!

KD35

Postby KD35 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:02 pm

mes10d wrote:
KD35 wrote:
mes10d wrote:

+infinity for this

I should've been more clear, my bad! I meant the city of Malibu, since Kanye was referring to the school/view.I feel like it's pretty hard to top waking up and looking at the ocean every morning, but that's just me.

As bad as it sounds, once you really start getting busy, you will start taking the view for granted. Or even worse, you are inside from sunrise to sunset.

odonnlld5

Postby odonnlld5 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:14 am

Anyone know if negotiating scholarships has worked with Pepperdine in the previous years?

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 pm

odonnlld5 wrote:Anyone know if negotiating scholarships has worked with Pepperdine in the previous years?

Yes. Last year they increased a fair number of scholarships to get people to commit to them.
Usually requires waiting until later in the admissions cycle or having good counteroffers to schools they try to compete with (USC/UCLA with any sort of money, Hastings/LLS/maybe USD with a good amount of $$$).

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:41 pm

Damn I'm feeling dumb. Just went through my spam and found a very nice scholarship from Pepperdine sent over a week ago. Yay though!

dd235

Postby dd235 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:35 pm

KD35 wrote:
odonnlld5 wrote:Anyone know if negotiating scholarships has worked with Pepperdine in the previous years?

Yes. Last year they increased a fair number of scholarships to get people to commit to them.
Usually requires waiting until later in the admissions cycle or having good counteroffers to schools they try to compete with (USC/UCLA with any sort of money, Hastings/LLS/maybe USD with a good amount of $$$).

I was accepted back in late November with $20,000 per year and they just sent me an unsolicited email saying that they increased it to $25,000 per year due to my GPA increase from fall semester (my GPA only increased .02 but fortunately it raised it over last year's median). Anyways, I think this is an indication that they are willing to reconsider scholly offers

KD35

Postby KD35 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:45 am

dd235 wrote:
KD35 wrote:

I was accepted back in late November with $20,000 per year and they just sent me an unsolicited email saying that they increased it to $25,000 per year due to my GPA increase from fall semester (my GPA only increased .02 but fortunately it raised it over last year's median). Anyways, I think this is an indication that they are willing to reconsider scholly offers

It also is partially that they realize what kind of class/numbers they are getting. At least my guess.

odonnlld5

Postby odonnlld5 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 pm

KD35 wrote:

Do you think it's to early to email them with good counteroffers??

KD35

Postby KD35 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:06 pm

odonnlld5 wrote:
KD35 wrote:

Might be a bit too early for emailing merely for purposes of just listing counter offers, but couldn't hurt to reach out and talk about the possibility of needing more $$$. For something about counter-offers, I'd recommend looking around the forums here. There's some good counter-offer advice, and it generally applies to all schools the same.

krispymenudo

Postby krispymenudo » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:29 pm

KD35 wrote:
odonnlld5 wrote:
KD35 wrote:

Might be a bit too early for emailing merely for purposes of just listing counter offers, but couldn't hurt to reach out and talk about the possibility of needing more $$$. For something about counter-offers, I'd recommend looking around the forums here. There's some good counter-offer advice, and it generally applies to all schools the same.

Going to wait a while before negotiating, still waiting on a few schools/it's still pretty early anyways. But I am pretty set on Pepperdine with my current "hand." Any idea on the prospects of merely getting the stipulation removed?

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Complete 2/7, in via email 2/12 with a 60K (3 year total) Dean's Excellence Scholarship! See profile for stats. My first acceptance, so I haven't negotiated any more $ as of yet.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:43 pm

krispymenudo wrote:

Going to wait a while before negotiating, still waiting on a few schools/it's still pretty early anyways. But I am pretty set on Pepperdine with my current "hand." Any idea on the prospects of merely getting the stipulation removed?

Don't know of anyone who has gotten their stipulation removed. They have no reason to remove it, sadly.

cmroberto

Postby cmroberto » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 pm

complete 2/14, IN via email 2/18 with 33k/year (99k over 3 years). I am pretty excited because it's my first California acceptance, but not the highest ranked school I have been accepted to. it's a pretty compelling option, but I am SO concerned about the apartment prospects in the area. I cannot afford 2k+ rent a month and that's all that I'm finding in the immediate area. my long-term boyfriend and I would be living together and sharing one car, which he will primarily be driving to and from work, so I need to live as close to campus as possible for easy pick-up/drop-off :(

jfern

Postby jfern » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:57 pm

cmroberto wrote:complete 2/14, IN via email 2/18 with 33k/year (99k over 3 years). I am pretty excited because it's my first California acceptance, but not the highest ranked school I have been accepted to. it's a pretty compelling option, but I am SO concerned about the apartment prospects in the area. I cannot afford 2k+ rent a month and that's all that I'm finding in the immediate area. my long-term boyfriend and I would be living together and sharing one car, which he will primarily be driving to and from work, so I need to live as close to campus as possible for easy pick-up/drop-off :(

Congrats! I was accepted today as well, though I found out through the status checker. There was a message at the top that my acceptance letter and any scholarship award would be sent through the mail.

cmroberto

Postby cmroberto » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 pm

jfern wrote:
cmroberto wrote:complete 2/14, IN via email 2/18 with 33k/year (99k over 3 years). I am pretty excited because it's my first California acceptance, but not the highest ranked school I have been accepted to. it's a pretty compelling option, but I am SO concerned about the apartment prospects in the area. I cannot afford 2k+ rent a month and that's all that I'm finding in the immediate area. my long-term boyfriend and I would be living together and sharing one car, which he will primarily be driving to and from work, so I need to live as close to campus as possible for easy pick-up/drop-off :(

Congrats! I was accepted today as well, though I found out through the status checker. There was a message at the top that my acceptance letter and any scholarship award would be sent through the mail.

Thanks, congrats to you as well! I just noticed the status checker now and I have the same info. Hopefully they will send you scholly info via email like they did for me!

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:05 am

Got a small travel scholarship in my admissions packet. Pretty cool of Pepperdine :-)

jfern

Postby jfern » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:44 pm

I received my acceptance letter today via email. I've been offered a Dean's Merit Scholarship in the amount of $33,000, renewable each year if I'm ranked among the top 50%. I'm pleased enough with the offer that I will definitely plan a visit out there soon. Yay!

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:25 pm

jfern wrote:I received my acceptance letter today via email. I've been offered a Dean's Merit Scholarship in the amount of $33,000, renewable each year if I'm ranked among the top 50%. I'm pleased enough with the offer that I will definitely plan a visit out there soon. Yay!

It's getting to the point where the admitted students day is probably coming up soon, so I'd check into when that'll be. That gives you a good chance to see what the school is like and have a chance to see more than you would on a normal visit.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”