Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Got a PM about On-Campus Housing and the strictness of the rules...pasting my response below:

It isn't as strict as I heard it is for the undergraduate campus...but that being said, they do really care about you not drinking in the rooms and having people of the opposite sex staying the night. And if you have a crappy set of roommates, then you could get screwed if they decide to report you. It doesn't matter if you are 30 or 20, you are held to the same rules regardless of the legality off-campus.

Usually that seems like it isn't that big of a deal if you get caught, but I believe that you'd have to report that on C&F when getting ready for the bar since you technically got caught breaking school rules (even if you disagree with them or they are strict). I haven't heard of anyone getting caught this year though, so that is also something to keep in mind. I think overall the people who are on campus are happy about it, and those off are happy being off campus.

In terms of actual housing quality, they were renovated before the school year so they are decently nice now. You'd be with 3 other students of the same gender per apartment (1 shower, 2 sinks, 1 toilet) but you each get your own room.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Yazzzay » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:55 pm

KD35 wrote:Got a PM about On-Campus Housing and the strictness of the rules...pasting my response below:

It isn't as strict as I heard it is for the undergraduate campus...but that being said, they do really care about you not drinking in the rooms and having people of the opposite sex staying the night. And if you have a crappy set of roommates, then you could get screwed if they decide to report you. It doesn't matter if you are 30 or 20, you are held to the same rules regardless of the legality off-campus.

Usually that seems like it isn't that big of a deal if you get caught, but I believe that you'd have to report that on C&F when getting ready for the bar since you technically got caught breaking school rules (even if you disagree with them or they are strict). I haven't heard of anyone getting caught this year though, so that is also something to keep in mind. I think overall the people who are on campus are happy about it, and those off are happy being off campus.


Was wondering about this, thanks! Does the majority of 1Ls live on or off campus? And are the kids off campus cut off from 1L social/campus activities or is it okay to live off?

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:Got a PM about On-Campus Housing and the strictness of the rules...pasting my response below:

It isn't as strict as I heard it is for the undergraduate campus...but that being said, they do really care about you not drinking in the rooms and having people of the opposite sex staying the night. And if you have a crappy set of roommates, then you could get screwed if they decide to report you. It doesn't matter if you are 30 or 20, you are held to the same rules regardless of the legality off-campus.

Usually that seems like it isn't that big of a deal if you get caught, but I believe that you'd have to report that on C&F when getting ready for the bar since you technically got caught breaking school rules (even if you disagree with them or they are strict). I haven't heard of anyone getting caught this year though, so that is also something to keep in mind. I think overall the people who are on campus are happy about it, and those off are happy being off campus.


Was wondering about this, thanks! Does the majority of 1Ls live on or off campus? And are the kids off campus cut off from 1L social/campus activities or is it okay to live off?


I'd say the majority of 1Ls live off campus, split primarily between SM and Calabasas. And most of the 2Ls/3Ls live off campus as well.

Any big 1L event will usually be during the day (if on campus) or in SM (if it is a night thing). Live off campus and I don't see a big issue with going to any events, and they definitely aren't centered around taking place on-campus

User avatar
krispymenudo
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby krispymenudo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:58 am

Stella77 wrote:
odonnlld5 wrote:Did everyone who got accepted find out about scholarships via email? Or in the admissions packet?



I did in both.


same

User avatar
krispymenudo
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby krispymenudo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Any Admitted Student events?

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Yazzzay » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:14 pm

KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:Got a PM about On-Campus Housing and the strictness of the rules...pasting my response below:

It isn't as strict as I heard it is for the undergraduate campus...but that being said, they do really care about you not drinking in the rooms and having people of the opposite sex staying the night. And if you have a crappy set of roommates, then you could get screwed if they decide to report you. It doesn't matter if you are 30 or 20, you are held to the same rules regardless of the legality off-campus.

Usually that seems like it isn't that big of a deal if you get caught, but I believe that you'd have to report that on C&F when getting ready for the bar since you technically got caught breaking school rules (even if you disagree with them or they are strict). I haven't heard of anyone getting caught this year though, so that is also something to keep in mind. I think overall the people who are on campus are happy about it, and those off are happy being off campus.


Was wondering about this, thanks! Does the majority of 1Ls live on or off campus? And are the kids off campus cut off from 1L social/campus activities or is it okay to live off?


I'd say the majority of 1Ls live off campus, split primarily between SM and Calabasas. And most of the 2Ls/3Ls live off campus as well.

Any big 1L event will usually be during the day (if on campus) or in SM (if it is a night thing). Live off campus and I don't see a big issue with going to any events, and they definitely aren't centered around taking place on-campus


Good to know, thanks!

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:45 pm

krispymenudo wrote:Any Admitted Student events?

Yea they will have one later in the semester...I haven't heard of any time yet. They usually have it on a Friday, heard it is pretty good but I didn't go to it last year.

User avatar
kirbyb
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby kirbyb » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:41 am

KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
KD35 wrote:Got a PM about On-Campus Housing and the strictness of the rules...pasting my response below:

It isn't as strict as I heard it is for the undergraduate campus...but that being said, they do really care about you not drinking in the rooms and having people of the opposite sex staying the night. And if you have a crappy set of roommates, then you could get screwed if they decide to report you. It doesn't matter if you are 30 or 20, you are held to the same rules regardless of the legality off-campus.

Usually that seems like it isn't that big of a deal if you get caught, but I believe that you'd have to report that on C&F when getting ready for the bar since you technically got caught breaking school rules (even if you disagree with them or they are strict). I haven't heard of anyone getting caught this year though, so that is also something to keep in mind. I think overall the people who are on campus are happy about it, and those off are happy being off campus.


Was wondering about this, thanks! Does the majority of 1Ls live on or off campus? And are the kids off campus cut off from 1L social/campus activities or is it okay to live off?


I'd say the majority of 1Ls live off campus, split primarily between SM and Calabasas. And most of the 2Ls/3Ls live off campus as well.

Any big 1L event will usually be during the day (if on campus) or in SM (if it is a night thing). Live off campus and I don't see a big issue with going to any events, and they definitely aren't centered around taking place on-campus


So do a lot of students have their own cars? Or do they use public transportation?

laballermvp9
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby laballermvp9 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:06 pm

I don't attend Pepperdine Law but I'm from L.A. and it's pretty much necessary to have a car. You can use public transit to get around but with traffic and everything it will take you a long time to get from one place to another. Malibu is a little secluded and several miles away from Santa Monica so I think it's a little more necessary for students attending Pepperdine. Pretty much depends if you want to explore the L.A. scene outside of Malibu.

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:56 pm

laballermvp9 wrote:I don't attend Pepperdine Law but I'm from L.A. and it's pretty much necessary to have a car. You can use public transit to get around but with traffic and everything it will take you a long time to get from one place to another. Malibu is a little secluded and several miles away from Santa Monica so I think it's a little more necessary for students attending Pepperdine. Pretty much depends if you want to explore the L.A. scene outside of Malibu.


Absolutely correct. The only reason you wouldn't need a car is if you lived on campus.

sam13
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby sam13 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Accepted 1/24 with a $48/k per year scholarship! Stips: must stay in top half of class.

How difficult would that be? Also, how expensive is housing off campus?

Does anyone know the job market for Pepp grads in other states? I am from Texas and don't necessarily want to return, but I don't necessarily want to have zero opportunities to return as well.

Thanks!

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:36 pm

sam13 wrote:Accepted 1/24 with a $48/k per year scholarship! Stips: must stay in top half of class.

How difficult would that be? Also, how expensive is housing off campus?

Does anyone know the job market for Pepp grads in other states? I am from Texas and don't necessarily want to return, but I don't necessarily want to have zero opportunities to return as well.

Thanks!


Stipulation: I had the same amount/stip coming in. A lot of people say "You never can guarantee being above median" but it is fine. You just have to work hard and if you stay motivated you'll be more than fine. That being said, I know that around 35-40% of scholarships traditionally get reduced/taken away after the first year for failure to maintain the specified GPA requirement. But they hand out a fair amount. It is also nice that you need to be in the top half by end of your first year, not first semester.

Housing: In Malibu I wouldn't plan on less than $1200 or so, unless you pile people into a room/house together. Santa Monica can vary a lot, I've heard of people getting ~$1000/month. Both Malibu and SM probably run typically around 1200-1400 is my guess? Through the canyon is the cheapest, I know Archstone/Malibu Canyon Apartments (MCAs) can be between 850-950 per for a 2-3 bedroom. Aguora is pretty cheap, and I know anecdotally that people living south on the 101 towards the 405 have even cheaper housing (although that is pretty far to drive every day).

Job market: Don't plan on going outside of CA. Unless you are at a big law school (think T14) you really don't have enough reliable info to be able to say you have a chance of going wherever you want. I know people at the top of the class (so say top 10% at best) have a choice of different markets, but that isn't something worth relying on. General TLS sentiment is that you can't guarantee you will be top 10% (although I disagree with it to an extent based on my personal experience)

abolin
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby abolin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Accepted with scholarship offer $30k/year. Any admitted student events on the East Coast?

gabe4455
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:24 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby gabe4455 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Accepted and am almost positive that I will be attending this fall. Can't wait to relocate out of Pennsylvania weather, especially after this winter.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Yazzzay » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Just checked and accepted yday! Hoping to find out about scholly though. Did you all get it in your acceptance package or email or what?

Congrats everyone so far!

User avatar
krispymenudo
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby krispymenudo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:38 pm

Yazzzay wrote:Just checked and accepted yday! Hoping to find out about scholly though. Did you all get it in your acceptance package or email or what?

Congrats everyone so far!


For me it was in an email they sent shortly after my status changed, as well as in the acceptance packet they mailed, which I received a few days later.

ETA: Congrats!!! :D

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Yazzzay » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:11 pm

krispymenudo wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:Just checked and accepted yday! Hoping to find out about scholly though. Did you all get it in your acceptance package or email or what?

Congrats everyone so far!


For me it was in an email they sent shortly after my status changed, as well as in the acceptance packet they mailed, which I received a few days later.

ETA: Congrats!!! :D


Thank you and thanks for the response! wahhh okay fingers crossed something comes through...still haven't even gotten an email about being admitted.

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Congrats to everyone getting in! Again, feel free to shoot out any questions you have here about the school, social life, academic, job placement, etc. Just gearing up for Spring OCI and Public Interest Career Day at the school as we speak.

skatekate
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:07 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby skatekate » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Hey guys, I just got my package (LSAT 159, GPA > 75th) and though I was very happy to get in, I was a bit disappointed about the lack of financial aid. They did include a sheet of paper reminding me to apply for FAFSA to get financial aid, but I thought FAFSA was for need-based aid. So I'm trying to figure out if I actually got $0 or if FAFSA is blocking the way...

Everyone who got merit scholarships: did you guys fill out FAFSA?

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:44 pm

skatekate wrote:Hey guys, I just got my package (LSAT 159, GPA > 75th) and though I was very happy to get in, I was a bit disappointed about the lack of financial aid. They did include a sheet of paper reminding me to apply for FAFSA to get financial aid, but I thought FAFSA was for need-based aid. So I'm trying to figure out if I actually got $0 or if FAFSA is blocking the way...

Everyone who got merit scholarships: did you guys fill out FAFSA?


In the past, people have not had to fill out FAFSA for merit-based scholarships. To find out about Pepp merit based stuff, you may want to reach out to them and leverage money from other law schools. Also, if it is a bad year for admitted student numbers, financial aid has been known to increase over summer in order to entice you to come to Pepperdine. But that's far from guaranteed.

whjohnso444
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby whjohnso444 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Went to pepp for undergrad. Got a dui off campus and was expelled. Other friends who got caught smoking pot also expelled. They don't fuck around. That being wait it's beautiful beyond reason but also weird religious. There's some nice apartments next to campus called Malibu canyon ridge. They are sweet and have ocean view. I've mulled applying but with a 3.2 168 I'll try my chances at usc / ucla first. Don't live in sm you will hate your life. Same with calabasas. It's too far and traffic is a bitch. Try to live in Malibu and enjoy it. Campus is even okay as long as you don't party.

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:47 pm

whjohnso444 wrote:Went to pepp for undergrad. Got a dui off campus and was expelled. Other friends who got caught smoking pot also expelled. They don't fuck around. That being wait it's beautiful beyond reason but also weird religious. There's some nice apartments next to campus called Malibu canyon ridge. They are sweet and have ocean view. I've mulled applying but with a 3.2 168 I'll try my chances at usc / ucla first. Don't live in sm you will hate your life. Same with calabasas. It's too far and traffic is a bitch. Try to live in Malibu and enjoy it. Campus is even okay as long as you don't party.


Also if you got a DUI you would have a hard time passing C&E for the bar. Same with getting caught smoking weed. So those are somewhat moot points. All of what above said appears to be stricter with the UG than grad students. There isn't nearly as strict of an eye on the law students than undergraduate students. But agree that you should live off campus instead of on, for multiple reasons.

cmroberto
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby cmroberto » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:41 pm

just applied last week (SO LATE, I KNOW). 161/3.899. chance of admission/scholarship money? I love SoCal and want to pursue entertainment law. rejected from UCLA (no shocker there), still waiting on USC, UCI, and Loyola. anyone with similar numbers already accepted and/or offered money?

User avatar
mes10d
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Pepperdine

Postby mes10d » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Checking in.

Submitted 2/01, still Incomplete.

Spelled my middle name wrong though, so that's nice. Hopefully my >>> 75th LSAT and >> 75th GPA make up for that..

User avatar
KD35
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Pepperdine

Postby KD35 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:07 pm

mes10d wrote:Checking in.

Submitted 2/01, still Incomplete.

Spelled my middle name wrong though, so that's nice. Hopefully my >>> 75th LSAT and >> 75th GPA make up for that..


Sucks you waited so long...could've probably scored one of the full tuition + stipend scholarships with those kind of numbers.
Also it'll be curious to see if C.O. 2017 has similar numbers or higher numbers than CO 2016, because our class had lower scores than previous years.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dietcoke1, lawschoolbound2017, Smc1994, studyingeveryday, texteach, trohara14 and 27 guests