Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stella77

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Stella77 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:43 pm

They wont give me more money!! :x I think I'm going to ASU with a full-ride. I really wanted to stay in LA though.

emitremmus

Postby emitremmus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Finnick wrote:In today via email with a $15k scholly. Applied super late in the cycle. But hoping to get a bump on the scholarship money once some of their acceptances start selecting other schools.

I tried and failed. I also received a 15K/yr scholly. Is their deadline April 30th? I may have tried to early.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 pm

gabe4455 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:Anyone send a deposit in yet?

I'm still trying to decide. I really like a lot of aspects about Pepperdine but am nervous to choose it over higher-ranked schools with the same $$$. It seems like TLS really has it out for the school and so much negative feedback is impacting my judgement (albeit the negative comments come from those not attending, clearly). The employment prospects just look dismal. Anyone else worried or what's the consensus?

I'm just trying to decide between being somewhere I'll love but worrying about getting a job when I graduate, or being somewhere I don't see myself particularly happy at, but with good job prospects when I graduate (like Wake). Is it worth going to a lower ranked school in an over saturated market? Not sure where I want to end up, California would be nice but not if I have to struggle to find a job...

Naturally your concerns are valid and employment prospects are something you should heavily consider when selecting a school. One positive to take away is that the 2013 employment statistics were better than 2012, so who knows where the market is going to be in 2017. I am not delusional and don't expect my path to employment to be guaranteed and as easy as if I were to attend UCLA/USC, but I have succeeded thus far in life with some odds stacked against me, so it isn't something I am afraid to undertake. Through this cycle they have been very professional and accommodating with me and ultimately having the opportunity to graduate law school with no debt was too much to pass up. I feel comfortable with my decision to attend Pepperdine, but obviously some individuals who post on here religiously will have an issue with it. It boils down to what you want and what you are comfortable with, nobody else.

100% agree, I just wish it was an easy decision! I'm glad to have so many choices, I just don't want to make the wrong one, and so many aspects about Pepperdine are pulling me in. Need to some serious soul-searching over the next week and a half!

onlyunholy

Postby onlyunholy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Looks like Pepperdine is very good re: decision timetables. Do you guys feel this way?

Looking at LSN, it looks like 1-2 weeks after complete almost all had their decisions (and by decisions, I mean those accepted). I applied extremely late in the cycle barely a week before the due date, but went complete on 4/2 and am hoping to hear from them regarding a decision this week so I can attend their AS event on 4/11..

Any thoughts on the rise in ranking, their comparison to Loyola (even though UCLA/USC and Loyola all seem to have better reputations in the LA market) -- what about the market elsewhere? Thoughts?

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:30 am

onlyunholy wrote:Looks like Pepperdine is very good re: decision timetables. Do you guys feel this way?

Looking at LSN, it looks like 1-2 weeks after complete almost all had their decisions (and by decisions, I mean those accepted). I applied extremely late in the cycle barely a week before the due date, but went complete on 4/2 and am hoping to hear from them regarding a decision this week so I can attend their AS event on 4/11..

Any thoughts on the rise in ranking, their comparison to Loyola (even though UCLA/USC and Loyola all seem to have better reputations in the LA market) -- what about the market elsewhere? Thoughts?

Pepperdine Law student here. Pepperdine is a regional school. So you will likely end up in CA unless you are 1) top of your class or 2) have connections to small/mid-size firm in certain regions like TX.

Rankings year-to-year aren't necessarily indicative, although I was happy to see that Pepperdine was one of two CA law schools that rose in the rankings this year, because I do think that it is a better school than a lot of people say it is (like those who attack it on TLS). Don't make a decision based on one year's movement in the rankings because by the time you graduate, 3 more sets of rankings come out.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:15 pm

So I was researching the study abroads, and noticed the Copenhagen & London programmes are both ending in Fall 2014, and considering Pepperdine has v. few options, that's really disappointing….anyone have any idea why/whats up? I may just ask the school about this but I'm not sure how straightforward they would be, ya know.

onlyunholy

Postby onlyunholy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 pm

IN via status checker. Have not received e-mail yet.

I would also like to know why they are removing certain study abroad programs if so (are there replacements?) -- that's also of great interest to me..

KD35

Postby KD35 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:12 am

Yazzzay wrote:So I was researching the study abroads, and noticed the Copenhagen & London programmes are both ending in Fall 2014, and considering Pepperdine has v. few options, that's really disappointing….anyone have any idea why/whats up? I may just ask the school about this but I'm not sure how straightforward they would be, ya know.

It relates to the higher administration, namely the Dean, who believes it isn't as helpful to prepare for a legal career to be in London. That being said, they are working to figure out how they will continue the London program in the future, thus it likely will not be the last year. It has been a huge controversial point this year is the fight by the students to keep the program open, and it has resulted that the fall is going to have more students that I think they have had before.

The Buenos Aires program just has too few people who are interested in going year in and year out.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:20 pm

KD35 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So I was researching the study abroads, and noticed the Copenhagen & London programmes are both ending in Fall 2014, and considering Pepperdine has v. few options, that's really disappointing….anyone have any idea why/whats up? I may just ask the school about this but I'm not sure how straightforward they would be, ya know.

It relates to the higher administration, namely the Dean, who believes it isn't as helpful to prepare for a legal career to be in London. That being said, they are working to figure out how they will continue the London program in the future, thus it likely will not be the last year. It has been a huge controversial point this year is the fight by the students to keep the program open, and it has resulted that the fall is going to have more students that I think they have had before.

The Buenos Aires program just has too few people who are interested in going year in and year out.

Ya I spoke to admissions in the end and they said it was really expensive and the dean is calling the shots on to continue it or not...Unfortunately it's one of the aspects I liked most about the school and it's making it hard to make a decision. Thanks!

giantsfan19192

Postby giantsfan19192 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:59 pm

I really liked Pepperdine when I visited and got a pretty good scholarship (30k/year), but I'm still debating between Hastings or UCI instead with smaller scholarships... I've been told I can get a better job from Hastings but I loved the atmosphere at pepperdine and could see myself maybe doing better there because I prefer that environment

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Really want to attend, but there's no way I will with less than a $30k scholarship. Anybody have any success negotiating yet?

Past and current students: were you able to negotiate post-deposit?

giantsfan19192

Postby giantsfan19192 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:49 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:Really want to attend, but there's no way I will with less than a $30k scholarship. Anybody have any success negotiating yet?

I tried to negotiate and was turned down but told that after April 1 more money may be available

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:09 am

Small update: Apparently Pepperdine apps are up 20% this year, which likely means that you shouldn't rely on an increase in scholly $$$.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:39 am

giantsfan19192 wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:Really want to attend, but there's no way I will with less than a $30k scholarship. Anybody have any success negotiating yet?

I tried to negotiate and was turned down but told that after April 1 more money may be available

They told me no negotiations because everything is done depending on the scores/GPA so if one persons money goes up, everyone's money will…so nothing will happen (if it does) until summer.

emitremmus

Postby emitremmus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 pm

giantsfan19192 wrote:

ditto. But now it is April 10th.

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 pm

KD35 wrote:Small update: Apparently Pepperdine apps are up 20% this year, which likely means that you shouldn't rely on an increase in scholly $$$.

Yazzzay wrote:
giantsfan19192 wrote:

They told me no negotiations because everything is done depending on the scores/GPA so if one persons money goes up, everyone's money will…so nothing will happen (if it does) until summer.

Looks like I'll be committing elsewhere, then. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Reminded myself that Malibu will only be about a 15 minute drive if I really want to hang out there at any time.

Stella77

Postby Stella77 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:30 pm

FYI Pepperdine is raisin tuition by like $2500 a year.

giantsfan19192

Postby giantsfan19192 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Stella77 wrote:FYI Pepperdine is raisin tuition by like $2500 a year.

Thats definitely not good news, where did you hear that

Stella77

Postby Stella77 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:13 pm

giantsfan19192 wrote:

I called and asked if tuition will be raised for the upcoming year and they said yes by $2,500/yr. :? Sucks.

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:25 pm

Stella77 wrote:
giantsfan19192 wrote:

I called and asked if tuition will be raised for the upcoming year and they said yes by $2,500/yr. :? Sucks.

ridiculous

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:42 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:
Stella77 wrote:
giantsfan19192 wrote:

ridiculous

did you ask why? /is this a normal year to year thing for them? not good to hear...

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:50 pm

did you ask why? /is this a normal year to year thing for them? not good to hear...

Most schools have been increasing tuition for many years now — if it's a surprise you should be doing your homework.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:09 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:

Most schools have been increasing tuition for many years now — if it's a surprise you should be doing your homework.

Thanks so much for the response.

Well aware tuition rises. Curious as to whether it normally jumps by that much, year to year.

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:

Well aware tuition rises. Curious as to whether it normally jumps by that much, year to year.

Came off ruder than I intended, apologies.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/reform/projects/Tuition-Tracker/

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:54 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:

Came off ruder than I intended, apologies.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/reform/projects/Tuition-Tracker/

Hadn't seen those graphs, how informative/depressing. I guess $2000 is pretty average. Now that I think about it my undergrad went up about that much each year as well. Wish they would raise scholarships to compensate...boo.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”