Pepperdine

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Paleki09

Re: Pepperdine

Postby Paleki09 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:40 pm

I just found this thread, so hey all. I got accepted Monday March 3 via email, still waiting on the admit packet. I hear that's where they include information about merit $$, is that correct? (never mind- just called them and they informed me that they award $$ in the admit email).

Popped my own bubble.

Newb2law

Postby Newb2law » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Paleki09 wrote:I just found this thread, so hey all. I got accepted Monday March 3 via email, still waiting on the admit packet. I hear that's where they include information about merit $$, is that correct? (never mind- just called them and they informed me that they award $$ in the admit email).

Popped my own bubble.

lol awww.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Way to stay up in the rankings Pepp!

Finnick

Postby Finnick » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:29 pm

In today via email with a $15k scholly. Applied super late in the cycle. But hoping to get a bump on the scholarship money once some of their acceptances start selecting other schools.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 am

Congrats to everyone getting in, good thing we didn't fall again like Loyola did.

Any questions, ask away

Shirosham

Postby Shirosham » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Finnick wrote:In today via email with a $15k scholly. Applied super late in the cycle. But hoping to get a bump on the scholarship money once some of their acceptances start selecting other schools.

Same! Can't believe how fast they got back. Waiting for other schools is killing me.

Anyone know how important it is to go to admit day? I'm going to be in Socal for prior obligations, was thinking about on going on Thursday.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Shirosham wrote:
Finnick wrote:In today via email with a $15k scholly. Applied super late in the cycle. But hoping to get a bump on the scholarship money once some of their acceptances start selecting other schools.

Same! Can't believe how fast they got back. Waiting for other schools is killing me.

Anyone know how important it is to go to admit day? I'm going to be in Socal for prior obligations, was thinking about on going on Thursday.

It is a good way to give you insight into the school, but you already got in the school, not like you need to go to the admit day in order to get in. Didn't end up going myself last year, and aren't upset that I missed it.

Sheriff McLaw Dog

Postby Sheriff McLaw Dog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:18 am

I was accepted a couple days ago, but from what I am reading from the people on this board, had I received a scholarship, they would have notified me in their acceptance email, correct?

I hope that's not the case. Pepperdine isn't my top choice, but it was my understanding that Pepperdine was a school that was generous with veterans, especially considering they participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. My stats are strong for this school too. I've been accepted to higher ranked places, but Pepperdine was a strong contender amongst the schools I applied to because I thought they'd be among the more generous of the places that accepted me.

Well, if that is the case, at least they made my decision that much easier.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:02 am

Sheriff McLaw Dog wrote:I was accepted a couple days ago, but from what I am reading from the people on this board, had I received a scholarship, they would have notified me in their acceptance email, correct?

I hope that's not the case. Pepperdine isn't my top choice, but it was my understanding that Pepperdine was a school that was generous with veterans, especially considering they participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. My stats are strong for this school too. I've been accepted to higher ranked places, but Pepperdine was a strong contender amongst the schools I applied to because I thought they'd be among the more generous of the places that accepted me.

I'd wait for sure until you get your acceptance packet in the mail and via email to double check and confirm. Additionally, as a veteran, you'll be getting (if you haven't already) a call from current Pepperdine veterans. Could ask them, they could easily hook you up with the right people. My understanding through this year has been that Pepperdine is very generous in general, and slightly more than most schools to veterans.

gabe4455

Postby gabe4455 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:03 am

Sheriff McLaw Dog wrote:I was accepted a couple days ago, but from what I am reading from the people on this board, had I received a scholarship, they would have notified me in their acceptance email, correct?

If you are utilizing your GI Bill, the yellow ribbon program agreement Pepperdine has with the VA will cover your entire tuition. That is a huge factor as to why I ultimately decided to select Pepperdine for my legal education this upcoming fall. They are very veteran friendly and I am sure somebody will be reaching out to you in the near future.

goldgirl786

Postby goldgirl786 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 am

Is it too late to apply? I know the deadline is April 1, but I was wondering if this will screw me in possible scholarship money/acceptance?

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:33 pm

goldgirl786 wrote:Is it too late to apply? I know the deadline is April 1, but I was wondering if this will screw me in possible scholarship money/acceptance?

Depends on your numbers. At this point, there are a lot of $$$ that have already been handed out so you may not get as high an amount as you would've if you applied back in December. However, you could get more money as time goes on as students start deciding to go elsewhere. It definitely isn't too late to apply in general though. The sooner the better does tend to be the overall sentiment.

ec24

Postby ec24 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Yes, I am probably not going to attend and I had $150k offered, so there's definitely a lot of money that will free up!

Sheriff McLaw Dog

Postby Sheriff McLaw Dog » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:42 am

KD35 wrote:

I'd wait for sure until you get your acceptance packet in the mail and via email to double check and confirm. Additionally, as a veteran, you'll be getting (if you haven't already) a call from current Pepperdine veterans. Could ask them, they could easily hook you up with the right people. My understanding through this year has been that Pepperdine is very generous in general, and slightly more than most schools to veterans.

Sure enough, I did receive a call this morning. I missed the call unfortunately. Wasn't able to reach them this afternoon, but I should be able to touch base tomorrow. I think Gabe might be right. My concern, however, is that I only have enough G.I. bill remaining for 1 year, and I'm concerned about future scholarships for my 2nd and 3rd years. That is an issue to discuss with Pepperdine though. I appreciate the responses. I'm facing a very difficult decision based on the information I have received from schools thus far. Pepperdine School of Law is a good school, and it's location is just the cherry on top. Good luck to future students, I might see you there.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:07 am

For those still deciding, the most recent Pepperdine job numbers came out. Getting a higher percent of full time, long term jobs each year.

http://law.pepperdine.edu/careers/conte ... a-2013.pdf

Newb2law

Postby Newb2law » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Could somebody please tell me when admit day is? Thank you

Shirosham

Postby Shirosham » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Newb2law wrote:Could somebody please tell me when admit day is? Thank you

4/11 I believe.

Smer45

Postby Smer45 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Admitted today!
Does anyone know if Pepperdine will negotiate scholarship based on non California schools?

Sheriff McLaw Dog

Postby Sheriff McLaw Dog » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Smer45 wrote:Admitted today!
Does anyone know if Pepperdine will negotiate scholarship based on non California schools?

It doesn't hurt to ask. I mean they're not going to rescind your admission offer if you ask. Not sure if your other offer being from a non-California school will impact their willingness to offer more or not. I'm actually about to write them an email, but the other schools I'm considering are in California.

First, I need to know how much to expect in Yellow Ribbon Program money. My understanding is that they're generous with it. Unfortunately, I only have enough G.I. benefits remaining for one-year. I'm going to see if they can offer me some money for the 2nd and 3rd year. Seems like it might be a little complicated for them to offer that though.

Pepperdine is a really nice school, and I like everything I've read about the school, but, if nothing changes, I'm leaning towards UC Hastings.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 am

Sheriff McLaw Dog wrote:

It doesn't hurt to ask. I mean they're not going to rescind your admission offer if you ask. Not sure if your other offer being from a non-California school will impact their willingness to offer more or not. I'm actually about to write them an email, but the other schools I'm considering are in California.

First, I need to know how much to expect in Yellow Ribbon Program money. My understanding is that they're generous with it. Unfortunately, I only have enough G.I. benefits remaining for one-year. I'm going to see if they can offer me some money for the 2nd and 3rd year. Seems like it might be a little complicated for them to offer that though.

Pepperdine is a really nice school, and I like everything I've read about the school, but, if nothing changes, I'm leaning towards UC Hastings.

In addition, even though I know it isn't a guarantee, you can get more $$$ if you do well after your first year. People have been known to get full rides after doing really well first year when they were paying sticker previously.

Smer45

Postby Smer45 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:58 pm

KD35 wrote:
Sheriff McLaw Dog wrote:

In addition, even though I know it isn't a guarantee, you can get more $$$ if you do well after your first year. People have been known to get full rides after doing really well first year when they were paying sticker previously.

Ah ok thank you. Just e-mailed them so fingers crossed!!

ASUPHI2LAW

Postby ASUPHI2LAW » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:07 pm

Got waitlisted at Pepperdine, and then accepted at my reach so I withdrew my application from the waitlist yesterday. Good luck and I hope someone gets bumped up on the list from my withdraw!

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:04 am

Anyone send a deposit in yet?

I'm still trying to decide. I really like a lot of aspects about Pepperdine but am nervous to choose it over higher-ranked schools with the same $$$. It seems like TLS really has it out for the school and so much negative feedback is impacting my judgement (albeit the negative comments come from those not attending, clearly). The employment prospects just look dismal. Anyone else worried or what's the consensus?

I'm just trying to decide between being somewhere I'll love but worrying about getting a job when I graduate, or being somewhere I don't see myself particularly happy at, but with good job prospects when I graduate (like Wake). Is it worth going to a lower ranked school in an over saturated market? Not sure where I want to end up, California would be nice but not if I have to struggle to find a job...

gabe4455

Postby gabe4455 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 am

Yazzzay wrote:Anyone send a deposit in yet?

I'm still trying to decide. I really like a lot of aspects about Pepperdine but am nervous to choose it over higher-ranked schools with the same $$$. It seems like TLS really has it out for the school and so much negative feedback is impacting my judgement (albeit the negative comments come from those not attending, clearly). The employment prospects just look dismal. Anyone else worried or what's the consensus?

I'm just trying to decide between being somewhere I'll love but worrying about getting a job when I graduate, or being somewhere I don't see myself particularly happy at, but with good job prospects when I graduate (like Wake). Is it worth going to a lower ranked school in an over saturated market? Not sure where I want to end up, California would be nice but not if I have to struggle to find a job...

Naturally your concerns are valid and employment prospects are something you should heavily consider when selecting a school. One positive to take away is that the 2013 employment statistics were better than 2012, so who knows where the market is going to be in 2017. I am not delusional and don't expect my path to employment to be guaranteed and as easy as if I were to attend UCLA/USC, but I have succeeded thus far in life with some odds stacked against me, so it isn't something I am afraid to undertake. Through this cycle they have been very professional and accommodating with me and ultimately having the opportunity to graduate law school with no debt was too much to pass up. I feel comfortable with my decision to attend Pepperdine, but obviously some individuals who post on here religiously will have an issue with it. It boils down to what you want and what you are comfortable with, nobody else.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:27 am

Yazzzay wrote:Anyone send a deposit in yet?

Also the big thing is you have to take everything said on relatively anonymous Internet forums with a big grain of salt.

I think as a whole, with all of the employment concerns, Pepperdine is much better off than other schools in LA outside of UCLA/USC. And there are a fair amount of people at Pepperdine who flat out do not want to practice law and so thus Pepperdine's numbers are inherently going to be lower because those people still find good and meaningful jobs that they enjoy, just not the Full-Time, Long-Term JD Required jobs that are reflected in law school numbers and rankings.

There's also a lot to be said for being able to graduate without having to be bound into a certain type of job because of debt. Graduating with little/no debt was also a big reason for me because it really leaves my future open, even if Pepperdine doesn't place well in BigLaw (although the majority of people who do BigLaw also need to pay off student loans). If I want to be a DA, well that's awesome because I don't have to worry about eating Ramen Noodles for 10 years in order to pay off my loans. If I had gone to a lot of my other choices, which were significantly higher ranked, I wouldn't have the ability to be as flexible in looking for what kind of job I want to have after law school.

Jobs will not come knocking at your door, but that being said, by the time you get your Bar results you will likely have a job. That is just what I have personally seen as someone who attends Pepperdine.

Looking back after almost a year at Pepperdine, I would still make the same decision for multiple reasons. But it comes down to a personal choice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”