Pepperdine Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Yazzzay

Bronze

Re: Pepperdine

Post by Yazzzay » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:12 am

Anyone attend the open house this past friday (i think)? Thoughts?

christian01

New

Post by christian01 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:13 am

still waiting on a decision, but for those who have been admitted when is the 1st and 2nd deposit due?

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:53 am

First deposit for me is due tomorrow the 15th.

I didn't attend the open house, but I went a day earlier (Thursday, since I had Coachella). The campus is nice, and it seems like a great school. It just felt "off" to me. Don't know why.

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Shirosham wrote:First deposit for me is due tomorrow the 15th.

I didn't attend the open house, but I went a day earlier (Thursday, since I had Coachella). The campus is nice, and it seems like a great school. It just felt "off" to me. Don't know why.
Wait I did the exact same thing in terms of visiting! It felt off to me too! I went early because I was heading out Thursday night to visit ASU for their ASW Friday. Just paid my Pepperdine deposit; it's a better fit for me than ASU

DerekZoolander

New

Post by DerekZoolander » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:09 pm

I also just deposited...

Sounds like the only chance at more money is if their entering class who have deposited start to look like they have low median LSAT/GPA compared to previous years. I was told they will reconstruct their scholarship matrix in that case, which will dictate which entering students receive what additional amount of money. Supposedly isn't done on a case-by-case basis.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 am

DerekZoolander wrote:I also just deposited...

Sounds like the only chance at more money is if their entering class who have deposited start to look like they have low median LSAT/GPA compared to previous years. I was told they will reconstruct their scholarship matrix in that case, which will dictate which entering students receive what additional amount of money. Supposedly isn't done on a case-by-case basis.
Chances are this won't happen. Just forewarning. Pepperdine has had way more applicants (20%) than last year, and had more people depositing now versus this time last year.

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:18 am

well, I'm backing out... so that's 25k thats being freed up!

yoda8301

New

Post by yoda8301 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 am

clearly this rumored 20% increase in apps does not bode well for those of us on the wait list
dare to dream i suppose

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 am

Anyone going to try and negotiate after seat deposits? Just got a different offer that makes me question Pepperdine :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kev101

New

Post by kev101 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:12 am

yoda8301 wrote:clearly this rumored 20% increase in apps does not bode well for those of us on the wait list
dare to dream i suppose
If anything, it only added maybe 500 additional candidates, bringing the total to 3k. Odds are still in your favor compared to what it was 4 years ago.

yoda8301

New

Post by yoda8301 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 am

kev101 wrote:
yoda8301 wrote:clearly this rumored 20% increase in apps does not bode well for those of us on the wait list
dare to dream i suppose
If anything, it only added maybe 500 additional candidates, bringing the total to 3k. Odds are still in your favor compared to what it was 4 years ago.
yah you are right, though apps are up, the actual number of applicants is way down again this year, less people applying to more schools, who knows what is going to happen when this cycle is all said and done

DerekZoolander

New

Post by DerekZoolander » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm

KD35 wrote:

Chances are this won't happen. Just forewarning. Pepperdine has had way more applicants (20%) than last year, and had more people depositing now versus this time last year.
That 20 % means absolutely nothing in this situation, because those depositing could just average/median out to a lower LSAT/GPA. That's really all that matters. The law of averages suggests those depositing are probably roughly the same as most other Pepperdine classes, but you never know since applications are down across the whole board. Nearly every school is having to reach lower for lower scoring students, and it just becomes a question of wether Pepperdine is ok with that or wants to make more aggressive awards to students above their percentiles in order to raise them.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:22 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:
KD35 wrote:

That 20 % means absolutely nothing in this situation, because those depositing could just average/median out to a lower LSAT/GPA. That's really all that matters. The law of averages suggests those depositing are probably roughly the same as most other Pepperdine classes, but you never know since applications are down across the whole board. Nearly every school is having to reach lower for lower scoring students, and it just becomes a question of wether Pepperdine is ok with that or wants to make more aggressive awards to students above their percentiles in order to raise them.
Actually it does impact it. A school increases the money when they need more people to commit/deposit to the school. More applicants means more people will likely be accepted and send in deposits, which is what the reality is currently at the school. More deposits means less money out there up for grabs and the lower the incentive for Pepperdine to increase the amount given per student because they do not need to have the same amount of retention with those that do deposit, since they are always trying to aim for the same number in the incoming class (about 200).

And if you want to talk about the law of averages, compare the numbers for the class of 2015 with 2016. Averages are completely different between those two classes, because the number of applicants for CO 2016 were substantially lower than 2015, where they had to reach to lower GPA/LSAT students to fill the class. Since the applications were up 20%, Pepperdine is more likely to be selective with who gets in and who got money as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kev101

New

Post by kev101 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 am

KD35 wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:
KD35 wrote:

Actually it does impact it. A school increases the money when they need more people to commit/deposit to the school. More applicants means more people will likely be accepted and send in deposits, which is what the reality is currently at the school. More deposits means less money out there up for grabs and the lower the incentive for Pepperdine to increase the amount given per student because they do not need to have the same amount of retention with those that do deposit, since they are always trying to aim for the same number in the incoming class (about 200).

And if you want to talk about the law of averages, compare the numbers for the class of 2015 with 2016. Averages are completely different between those two classes, because the number of applicants for CO 2016 were substantially lower than 2015, where they had to reach to lower GPA/LSAT students to fill the class. Since the applications were up 20%, Pepperdine is more likely to be selective with who gets in and who got money as well.

but 20 percent is only a couple hundred more applicants? I highly doubt that the extra applicants are all highly qualified... But you could be right. Hopefully its not the case for people waiting on the waitlist/waiting for more money.
Last edited by kev101 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:29 am

kev101 wrote: but 20 percent is only a couple hundred more applicants? I highly thought that the extra applicants are all highly qualified... But you could be right. Hopefully its not the case for people waiting on the waitlist/waiting for more money.
Yea absolutely hope that people get their $$$ upped. I just don't want people to be expecting more money.

DerekZoolander

New

Post by DerekZoolander » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:19 pm

KD35 wrote:
kev101 wrote: but 20 percent is only a couple hundred more applicants? I highly thought that the extra applicants are all highly qualified... But you could be right. Hopefully its not the case for people waiting on the waitlist/waiting for more money.
Yea absolutely hope that people get their $$$ upped. I just don't want people to be expecting more money.
I understand you're trying to play devil's advocate here, and that's going to be helpful for many people.

My point remains that neither of us know what they'll do with that money...trust me, Pepperdine isn't going to have a problem putting butts in the seats if they need to pull some people off a waiting list. The question is whether they're ok with a GPA/LSAT slide. Neither you or I know the answer to that question.

krispymenudo

Bronze

Post by krispymenudo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:35 pm

Shirosham wrote:Anyone going to try and negotiate after seat deposits? Just got a different offer that makes me question Pepperdine :/
Wondering the same and how to go about it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cocobutterkisses

New

Post by cocobutterkisses » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Has anyone had any movement lately? Still at a March review date

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:01 am

Someone I know just got in 2 days ago.

k101010

New

Post by k101010 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:42 pm

cocobutterkisses wrote:Has anyone had any movement lately? Still at a March review date

Same here - Mid march review status... still waiting.

Sicem007

New

Post by Sicem007 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:54 pm

When do they start going to the waitlist typically?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Krysty

New

Post by Krysty » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:49 pm

k101010 wrote:
cocobutterkisses wrote:Has anyone had any movement lately? Still at a March review date

Same here as well. Went to review 3/21 + 8 weeks = decision by 5/9 *hopefully*

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:58 am

Sicem007 wrote:When do they start going to the waitlist typically?
They go to it throughout the summer as needed. Guessing they will start going to it soon enough.

I know someone who found out the week before school started.

acp

New

Post by acp » Wed May 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Krysty wrote:
k101010 wrote:

Same here as well. Went to review 3/21 + 8 weeks = decision by 5/9 *hopefully*
Same here! C'mon Pepperdine! I want to stay in LA.

Candy Wrappers

New

Post by Candy Wrappers » Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 pm

KD35 wrote:
Sicem007 wrote:When do they start going to the waitlist typically?
They go to it throughout the summer as needed. Guessing they will start going to it soon enough.

I know someone who found out the week before school started.
that's torture :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”