University of Iowa C/O 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
isuperserial

Re: University of Iowa C/O 2017 Applicants

Postby isuperserial » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:13 pm

JDByron31 wrote:
isuperserial wrote:Just received my acceptance!

Just checking in!

When did you submit/go complete? And did you get your acceptance through e-mail or status checker (or snail-mail)? Sorry for the many questions, haha.

It's cool, bud. I submitted on 11/26, went complete on 12/04, received decision today on 12/13. Pretty quick turnaround on them! I happily received the decision via email at lunch today!

JDByron31

Postby JDByron31 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:26 pm

isuperserial wrote:
JDByron31 wrote:

Thanks! And CONGRATS! It's nice to be at ease now, knowing you'll be going somewhere, haha.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:20 pm

JDByron31 wrote:
isuperserial wrote:
JDByron31 wrote:

Thanks! And CONGRATS! It's nice to be at ease now, knowing you'll be going somewhere, haha.

University of Georgia actually beat them to the punch by just a day XD

I think right now I'm leaning toward UGA because their FedClerk and Biglaw combined percentages are about 24%, while Iowa has about 14%. Plus I imagine the weather down south is real nice :) Obviously that'll all probably change once scholarships/other acceptances roll in, but I feel like I'm off to a good start!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:04 pm

3L checking in to answer questions and give another opinion besides Typ3. Not to overstate anything, because I don't think employment is great currently, but I think Iowa does as well as peer schools. As of this week, almost 40% of the 3L class has accepted full-time, bar-passage required positions starting fall 2014. Although some of these positions include low $40k's salaries in small towns. But, they are "real" attorney positions, if you consider "real" attorney positions being ones that get to write briefs, handle clients, and go to court at a < 10 attorney firm along with biglaw/midlaw.

Winston1984 wrote:
jac101689 wrote:So, I'm a bit confused. I was admitted on 11/27, but I still haven't gotten scholarship info. Do you think this is their way of saying "sorry, but at least we're reducing tuition?"

~3.4, 165, btw.

I'm sure you'll get money, I'd just wait.

Scholarships go out over time. I didn't get my scholarship offer until February (2.96/171). With your numbers, you should get money, you just might not hear for a few months still.

If anyone has any questions at all (about the school, exams, professors, Iowa City, football, whatever) I'm happy to answer.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:26 pm

chrisbru wrote:3L checking in to answer questions and give another opinion besides Typ3. Not to overstate anything, because I don't think employment is great currently, but I think Iowa does as well as peer schools. As of this week, almost 40% of the 3L class has accepted full-time, bar-passage required positions starting fall 2014. Although some of these positions include low $40k's salaries in small towns. But, they are "real" attorney positions, if you consider "real" attorney positions being ones that get to write briefs, handle clients, and go to court at a < 10 attorney firm along with biglaw/midlaw.

Winston1984 wrote:
jac101689 wrote:So, I'm a bit confused. I was admitted on 11/27, but I still haven't gotten scholarship info. Do you think this is their way of saying "sorry, but at least we're reducing tuition?"

~3.4, 165, btw.

I'm sure you'll get money, I'd just wait.

Scholarships go out over time. I didn't get my scholarship offer until February (2.96/171). With your numbers, you should get money, you just might not hear for a few months still.

If anyone has any questions at all (about the school, exams, professors, Iowa City, football, whatever) I'm happy to answer.

Well I just got an offer for 30k per year. They say I'll get the 30k for my first year, and then if I get a Research Assistant position for my 2L and 3L years, then I'll be paying in-state, which the 30k would mean is free. How many people get RA positions that go for them? Is this as common as they make it seem?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:41 pm

isuperserial wrote:
Well I just got an offer for 30k per year. They say I'll get the 30k for my first year, and then if I get a Research Assistant position for my 2L and 3L years, then I'll be paying in-state, which the 30k would mean is free. How many people get RA positions that go for them? Is this as common as they make it seem?

Literally everyone I know that wanted an RA position got one. So I wouldn't worry about getting one. Some are definitely better than others, though, so its probably worth asking around during second semester 1L year so you can try and get one of the good ones.

Domke

Postby Domke » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:54 pm

The schollys come in waves it appears. I just got a full ride with a 2.1 stip. I doubt I will take it as I want to practice in the Pacific Northwest but good to know. If I was going to the midwest I would definilty take it.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:37 pm

chrisbru wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

Literally everyone I know that wanted an RA position got one. So I wouldn't worry about getting one. Some are definitely better than others, though, so its probably worth asking around during second semester 1L year so you can try and get one of the good ones.

Okay great. I was just curious since they made it seem like they were common, but I wanted to hear it from another source. What do RAs tend to do? And is there anything else we should know about Iowa? Like what are three things you wish you knew as a 0L about Iowa.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Domke wrote:The schollys come in waves it appears. I just got a full ride with a 2.1 stip. I doubt I will take it as I want to practice in the Pacific Northwest but good to know. If I was going to the midwest I would definilty take it.

Good thinking. Go to UW if you can, you'll get the best PNW placement out of there. I love Seattle, used to live there. I'd have stayed if my family was closer.

isuperserial wrote:Okay great. I was just curious since they made it seem like they were common, but I wanted to hear it from another source. What do RAs tend to do? And is there anything else we should know about Iowa? Like what are three things you wish you knew as a 0L about Iowa.

RA work depends largely on the professor. You're supposed to do about 10 hours/week, but even that varies a lot... Some are consistent, some have larger spurts with some weeks completely off. I didn't have an RA job as I am in-state and didn't need it for the tuition reduction. But, from what I know, most of it is research stuff (like doing research and writing for professors books or journal articles) but it can also be stuff like making power points for their classes.

Iowa City is an awesome town, so if you want to practice in Iowa or the Midwest (if you have ties somewhere besides Iowa or good grades), its a fun place to go to school. We have a lot of fun going out for Law Night on Thursdays, Phi Delta Phi (legal fraternity) hosts tailgates for all games which are a blast. Its very much a college town—affordable and fun.

As for the school, students aren't super competitive, and are pretty collegial, which I really enjoy. The professors in general are good, so your actual education will be pretty good in comparison to peer schools. The building is fine, but the architecture sucks. Our library is extensive, but I avoid that place.

Three things I wish I knew as a 1L?
1) Join PHIDs (or PADs, the other legal fraternity—I'm a little biased, but PHIDs is way better) right away, download outlines from the outline bank, and use that to take notes in during the semester. It really helps to have a structure for how the class progresses with the key points already built in.
2) Take the initiative and get to know your classmates and upper classmen early. Other students can be valuable resources for tons of things, and building friendships makes law school much more bearable, fun, and helps train you in networking skills.
3) Practical experience > coursework. So do the citizen lawyer program as a 1L, go on one of the legal service trips during spring break 1L year, and make sure to network with firms so you can find a decent job your 1L summer.

Before coming in, don't think about law classes. Read something like 1L of a Ride, Slaying the Law School dragon, or whatever, but don't try to learn anything about your classes until you start. It doesn't make any sense. Just get an idea of what its like to be a law student so you come in prepared.

Oh, and get supplements. The Examples & Explanations series is my favorite, but Crunchtime is invaluable for exam tips as well. Look at these during the semester for more clarity, but these will be most helpful right before exams.

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gta

Postby gta » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:54 am

What kind of stats do you full ride recipients have? Congrats to all so far!

Applesauce59

Postby Applesauce59 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:05 am

gta wrote:What kind of stats do you full ride recipients have? Congrats to all so far!

I have a full tuition scholarship to Iowa and my stats are 163/4.1

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:49 am

Haven't heard back yet and applied in October. Getting antsy, even though all I hear is "Who hates Iowa" on my undergrad campus.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:00 pm

chingwoo wrote:Haven't heard back yet and applied in October. Getting antsy, even though all I hear is "Who hates Iowa" on my undergrad campus.

My status checker has had no movement since late November. Very frustrating.

wyo_pbp

Postby wyo_pbp » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Has anybody had any movement recently?

life2323

Postby life2323 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 pm

Finally, some movement.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:03 am

life2323 wrote:Finally, some movement.

Really? None here. What change did you see and when did you go complete?

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:09 am

gta wrote:What kind of stats do you full ride recipients have? Congrats to all so far!

They gave me what should amount to a full ride less 10,000 dollars. I had a 163 and a 3.5

JDByron31

Postby JDByron31 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Just got an e-mail admitting me! Hopefully others heard today as well. No scholarship information yet. :(

wyo_pbp

Postby wyo_pbp » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Just check my checked my status online and it says that I have been placed on the preliminary waiting list, not on the official waiting list. Any ideas of what that means?

jayhawk23ball

Postby jayhawk23ball » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:11 am

Still says application received but I had a date change today?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:50 pm

wyo_pbp wrote:Just check my checked my status online and it says that I have been placed on the preliminary waiting list, not on the official waiting list. Any ideas of what that means?

It means they'll review your decision before they compile the 'official' waitlist I think.

gta

Postby gta » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Just logged into the status checker and I'm "Admitted" as of 1/23, although I didn't get a phone call or an email either yesterday or today. Should I expect some snail mail soon?

JDByron31

Postby JDByron31 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:57 pm

gta wrote:Just logged into the status checker and I'm "Admitted" as of 1/23, although I didn't get a phone call or an email either yesterday or today. Should I expect some snail mail soon?

It's been 10 days, and I have yet to receive snail mail. Unless you're in-state, I say you should expect something. But since I'm from CA, and the midwest is suffering from a polar vortex, I won't expect anything anytime soon. Hahaha.

cmilleruni

Postby cmilleruni » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:35 pm

wsd
Last edited by cmilleruni on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”