University of Iowa C/O 2017 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RLowry23

Bronze

Re: University of Iowa C/O 2017 Applicants

Post by RLowry23 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Withdrawing.

Had a full scholarship w/ RA position, so hopefully someone who wants Iowa more gets my $$$

hollybrianna

New

Post by hollybrianna » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Just got an email from the Dean today on my acceptance...I guess mail is to come...

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm

hollybrianna wrote:Just got an email from the Dean today on my acceptance...I guess mail is to come...
1. Did it notify any scholarship info?

2. Are you actually going to go?

3. When is your first deposit due by?

I went under review last week, thanks to everyone withdrawing if you dont want to go!

Telecaster

New

Post by Telecaster » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:58 pm

BankruptMe wrote:

I went under review last week, thanks to everyone withdrawing if you dont want to go!
My first seat deposit is due April 1, but I received my acceptance letter a month ago. From what I understand about Iowa's admissions policies, you will not be required to deposit on April 1 because you will receive a determination too close to the normal seat deposit date. If you get in, you will probably be told you have 2 weeks from the acceptance letter postmarked date to send in your deposit.

Has anyone else who has been accepted come any closer to making a decision? Iowa's made me a great offer and I'm pretty sure I'll be matriculating. Iowa had a fantastic showing for their 2013 ABA employment statistics. Big law and fedclerk placement is up from 2012, 20% of grads (39/190). Overall, 77% (146/190) in FTLT Bar Passage Required jobs, 80% in Bar Passage Required jobs if you include the 6 part time long term (152/190). Mobility outside of Iowa was really good too, with about 35% of grads placing in the state and the rest going everywhere else.

I don't understand some of the pessimism in this thread and on this site towards the school. Outside of t14, ND, and WUSTL, did any Midwest school perform better than UI for 2013 employment? Not that I've seen. Maybe UIUC in regards to biglaw placement, but if it is that's probably due more to its proximity to Chicago than anything else.

I visited Iowa City and the school a couple of weeks ago and liked what I saw. IC was much bigger than I thought it was going to be. It has a small town feel but with some nice big city perks. Downtown area is really cool, especially with the old capital building in the center. Also, its nice that two of Iowa's biggest cities, Davenport and Cedar Rapids are like 1/2 hr away. Des Moines is like 1 1/2 from what I've been told. Should provide some nice options for externships.

hollybrianna

New

Post by hollybrianna » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Telecaster wrote:
BankruptMe wrote:

My first seat deposit is due April 1, but I received my acceptance letter a month ago. From what I understand about Iowa's admissions policies, you will not be required to deposit on April 1 because you will receive a determination too close to the normal seat deposit date. If you get in, you will probably be told you have 2 weeks from the acceptance letter postmarked date to send in your deposit.

Has anyone else who has been accepted come any closer to making a decision? Iowa's made me a great offer and I'm pretty sure I'll be matriculating. Iowa had a fantastic showing for their 2013 ABA employment statistics. Big law and fedclerk placement is up from 2012, 20% of grads (39/190). Overall, 77% (146/190) in FTLT Bar Passage Required jobs, 80% in Bar Passage Required jobs if you include the 6 part time long term (152/190). Mobility outside of Iowa was really good too, with about 35% of grads placing in the state and the rest going everywhere else.

I don't understand some of the pessimism in this thread and on this site towards the school. Outside of t14, ND, and WUSTL, did any Midwest school perform better than UI for 2013 employment? Not that I've seen. Maybe UIUC in regards to biglaw placement, but if it is that's probably due more to its proximity to Chicago than anything else.

I visited Iowa City and the school a couple of weeks ago and liked what I saw. IC was much bigger than I thought it was going to be. It has a small town feel but with some nice big city perks. Downtown area is really cool, especially with the old capital building in the center. Also, its nice that two of Iowa's biggest cities, Davenport and Cedar Rapids are like 1/2 hr away. Des Moines is like 1 1/2 from what I've been told. Should provide some nice options for externships.
How long after you received your acceptance email did you get more information? I just got in today, so I assume I will have 2 weeks from today to pay my 1st seat deposit, but I'd like to see that in writing...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Telecaster

New

Post by Telecaster » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 pm

hollybrianna wrote:
How long after you received your acceptance email did you get more information? I just got in today, so I assume I will have 2 weeks from today to pay my 1st seat deposit, but I'd like to see that in writing...
Congratulations on your acceptance! :D

I first received an acceptance email then a scholarship email a few hours later, though I've heard from others that theirs came a few days later. I received an admissions packet and other information in the mail about a week later.

riku33090

Bronze

Post by riku33090 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Got on wait list today.

Who's with me?

defensedph

New

Post by defensedph » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:32 pm

It's still early, but has anyone heard of any waitlist movement yet?

Telecaster

New

Post by Telecaster » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Those on the wait list, what are your numbers if you don't mind me asking?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kstejsk

New

Post by Kstejsk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Anybody here back anything regarding waitlist here? I know they said post-Aril 15...but just wondering!

Kstejsk

New

Post by Kstejsk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Kstejsk wrote:Anybody here back anything regarding waitlist here? I know they said post-Aril 15...but just wondering!
Also..if anybody has any tips that I could do to let them see I'm interested and better-ing my chances of an admit off the waitlist. I have already sent an LOCI..thanks!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Iowa's class of 2013 was the 14th best employment percentage of all law schools. Not too shabby.
http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0321145430

enf10582

New

Post by enf10582 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:10 pm

If anyone attending in the fall is looking for a place to live my current apartment is available starting in June. Its a one bedroom with an office about a 10 minute walk from the law school. PM me for details.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JDByron31

New

Post by JDByron31 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 pm

If any of you guys are a part of the "Iowa Law: Class of 2017" Facebook group, do you wanna do me a solid and invite me? (You have to add me as a friend first, on Facebook.) I messed up and clicked the original invite link twice, and now it's no longer active. Not sure if this would even work. If not, oh well. PM if you'd like to help.

ahersch

New

Post by ahersch » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:00 pm

I just got my email today that I was accepted, but it did not include any scholarship information. Is this something that comes later on in a separate email or in the mail? Although I guess I could have just been accepted at full tuition.

enf10582

New

Post by enf10582 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Iowa was ranked 18th in the Above the Law Ranks that came out yesterday.

http://abovethelaw.com/careers/2014-law ... -rankings/

JDByron31

New

Post by JDByron31 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:25 am

ahersch wrote:I just got my email today that I was accepted, but it did not include any scholarship information. Is this something that comes later on in a separate email or in the mail? Although I guess I could have just been accepted at full tuition.
Congrats! It comes in a separate email. Mine came within a week. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bcmax

New

Post by bcmax » Mon May 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Does anyone know if Iowa will give out living stipends if similar schools are matching their full tuition offer??

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon May 05, 2014 10:42 pm

bcmax wrote:Does anyone know if Iowa will give out living stipends if similar schools are matching their full tuition offer??
Historically, no. You can ask, but I'm 99.9% sure they will say no.

Kstejsk

New

Post by Kstejsk » Mon May 05, 2014 11:53 pm

chrisbru wrote:
bcmax wrote:Does anyone know if Iowa will give out living stipends if similar schools are matching their full tuition offer??
Does anyone have any tips to help improve chances of admission off the wait list?

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Tue May 06, 2014 12:37 pm

chrisbru wrote:
So apparently someone (one here maybe, or could have been a PM) said they did receive a stipend. Which would be bananas. No stips + full + stipend= you literally cannot have a poor outcome (financially).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue May 06, 2014 1:32 pm

DportIA wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
So apparently someone (one here maybe, or could have been a PM) said they did receive a stipend. Which would be bananas. No stips + full + stipend= you literally cannot have a poor outcome (financially).
Pretty sure stipends are URM only. But again, they've changed so much with admissions and scholarships the last two years that I have no idea.

jebsterb

New

Post by jebsterb » Tue May 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Ya I have to imagine you need to come from an absolutely dire background to get offered stipends, I'm sure they're need based rather than academic. I wouldn't count on them.

frank brown

New

Post by frank brown » Sat May 31, 2014 9:32 am

Has there been any movement on the waitlist? When is the second deposit deadline?

bcmax

New

Post by bcmax » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:52 am

I believe the second deposit deadline is today!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”