University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:51 pm

Nick Carraway wrote:Just got in today after calling to check on my status. No scholarship info til May they said... but my next top choice needs to know by April 30th. Any suggestions?


Double deposit.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Nucky » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:21 am

Withdrew last week. Hopefully one of you gets my spot and/or money. Good luck!

clemenza
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby clemenza » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:18 pm

Anyone else on the waitlist have a status date change yesterday?

Also, does anyone know when they will begin reviewing, or if they do it on a rolling basis?

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

cpslo12
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby cpslo12 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Withdrew my application. Good luck to those still waiting. I hope my $33,000 total scholarship goes to one of you.

uvandy
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby uvandy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:21 pm

clemenza wrote:Anyone else on the waitlist have a status date change yesterday?

Also, does anyone know when they will begin reviewing, or if they do it on a rolling basis?
Not mine.

Meowaka
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Meowaka » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Haven't heard about any decision. They said they want to interview me first before making any final choice, but that they liked my application. I'll have quite a few questions for them. My interview is next week.

I'm wondering whether I should ask about scholarship monies.

I'm definitely going to be asking about the potential to create my own international law program, as the website said that's a possibility.

I'm already a resident, so the price should be pretty low regardless.

Dunno about living in Boulder though... seems pretentious. My husband works for MadGreens, so at least if I am offered a place, and if I take it, my husband can still work his way through that company.

Scared about the idea that "If you go to school in CO, prepare to stay here afterwards." Waiting to hear back from other schools too.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12755
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby LeDique » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Meowaka wrote:Haven't heard about any decision. They said they want to interview me first before making any final choice, but that they liked my application. I'll have quite a few questions for them. My interview is next week.

I'm wondering whether I should ask about scholarship monies.

I'm definitely going to be asking about the potential to create my own international law program, as the website said that's a possibility.

I'm already a resident, so the price should be pretty low regardless.

Dunno about living in Boulder though... seems pretentious. My husband works for MadGreens, so at least if I am offered a place, and if I take it, my husband can still work his way through that company.

Scared about the idea that "If you go to school in CO, prepare to stay here afterwards." Waiting to hear back from other schools too.


Uhhh, what? I mean I'm sure you could "create your own international law program" in the sense that you could take all of the international law classes CU offers. I'm not really sure *why* you would do that, given that you're very unlikely to get a job using that in general, let alone as a CU grad. And having the ability to say you did an "international law program" isn't going to make a difference in job interviews. I should also warn you that the class entitled "International Law" won't be what you're expecting.

You can easily live in Denver or Longmont or anywhere in between and attend CU if you're really worried about living in Boulder.

At first I didn't understand why you didn't want to stay in CO after, but given that you've previously posted "I desperately want to be in D.C. because my career goals are focused in international law, maybe international business law. I am in this to make important connections, work with the best study abroad programs available, and pursue leadership in the world of international law." I can't let you think CU is a good choice for you. If those are still your goals, and you wouldn't be happy working as a lawyer in a small firm in CO doing something domestic (the most international you'll get is immigration), you shouldn't attend CU. You really shouldn't attend any law school given the options I can see that you have from your posting history, including CU. You've had this explained to you repeatedly on here.

Meowaka
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Meowaka » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:48 pm

LeDique wrote:Uhhh, what? I mean I'm sure you could "create your own international law program" in the sense that you could take all of the international law classes CU offers. I'm not really sure *why* you would do that, given that you're very unlikely to get a job using that in general, let alone as a CU grad. And having the ability to say you did an "international law program" isn't going to make a difference in job interviews. I should also warn you that the class entitled "International Law" won't be what you're expecting.
Their website said that in the past they've worked with students on creating specialized programs in study abroad and otherwise.

At first I didn't understand why you didn't want to stay in CO after, but given that you've previously posted "I desperately want to be in D.C. because my career goals are focused in international law, maybe international business law. I am in this to make important connections, work with the best study abroad programs available, and pursue leadership in the world of international law." I can't let you think CU is a good choice for you. If those are still your goals, and you wouldn't be happy working as a lawyer in a small firm in CO doing something domestic (the most international you'll get is immigration), you shouldn't attend CU. You really shouldn't attend any law school given the options I can see that you have from your posting history, including CU. You've had this explained to you repeatedly on here.

That's absolutely true. My dream goals are the same, but maybe they're just not realistic. I'm ok with changing my mind. However, now I'm considering the cost of attending schools rather than my ambitions for the future. I can still change my mind at any time for now. I don't see anything wrong with exploring some different options, even if I may have to change the end game goal.


In any case, if I tell them what I want out of law school, and they say, "Gee that doesn’t sound like us" that's fine with me.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12755
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby LeDique » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Oh, if you meant study abroad, yeah they do that. We've had people go pretty random places for a semester.

The problem is though, no admissions person is ever going to say "gee that doesn't sound like us." It's just not going to happen because they have every incentive to get you here without really caring about how it will go for you once you're here. From what you've posted, I'm telling you that doesn't sound like CU.

Meowaka
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Meowaka » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:57 pm

LeDique wrote:Oh, if you meant study abroad, yeah they do that. We've had people go pretty random places for a semester.

The problem is though, no admissions person is ever going to say "gee that doesn't sound like us." It's just not going to happen because they have every incentive to get you here without really caring about how it will go for you once you're here. From what you've posted, I'm telling you that doesn't sound like CU.

Understood. I'm still going to take the interview, hell, it will be good practice if I have to interview for my ass later on. Just because I decide to talk to this person doesn't mean I'm taking the offer of study... that they haven't even given me yet :p so really, this is is all just practice for other opportunities later.

The interview is with a prof of international law there.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 pm

If you know you aren't going to attend a school, withdraw and don't waste everyones time. There are people on the wait list right now who really want in. Withdraw and let admissions get to those people.

almostthere1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 am

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby almostthere1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 am

Hey any movement lately? Anybody have any big news? I don't want this thread to die on me. Anybody have any success with negotiations?

Meowaka
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:55 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Meowaka » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:10 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If you know you aren't going to attend a school, withdraw and don't waste everyones time. There are people on the wait list right now who really want in. Withdraw and let admissions get to those people.

No decision has even been made on my file. I'm not hindering anyone getting in.

COnative
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:21 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby COnative » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:20 pm

I would hold out if you can. I was put on the wait list in early march and was then accepted about eight days later. I was surprised to get a scholarship offer when my snail mail packet arrived a few days later! I spoke with my law school advisor at my undergrad (in CO) and she said that in the past there has been little movement on the CU wait list. However, I know at least one other person than myself who has already been accepted off of the wait list this year. I should also add that I had an interview with a CU alumni about a week before I was wait listed.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:25 pm

Meowaka wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If you know you aren't going to attend a school, withdraw and don't waste everyones time. There are people on the wait list right now who really want in. Withdraw and let admissions get to those people.

No decision has even been made on my file. I'm not hindering anyone getting in.


So taking their time to interview you does not take away time from someone else? Taking an acceptance spot, assuming you interview well, then waiting a few weeks for you to withdraw does not take away time from someone else?

The admissions office is like 1 person and an assistant. You are taking up a lot of resources. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's the truth…

User avatar
QueenB
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 am

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby QueenB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:03 pm

COnative wrote:I would hold out if you can. I was put on the wait list in early march and was then accepted about eight days later. I was surprised to get a scholarship offer when my snail mail packet arrived a few days later! I spoke with my law school advisor at my undergrad (in CO) and she said that in the past there has been little movement on the CU wait list. However, I know at least one other person than myself who has already been accepted off of the wait list this year. I should also add that I had an interview with a CU alumni about a week before I was wait listed.


I had basically the exact same experience. Did a phone interview, wait listed about 2 weeks later, accepted 8 days after that. I did not get a scholarship offer though which is pretty disappointing but I still think it could happen? I'm paying my first seat deposit.

spunkyjoe
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby spunkyjoe » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Withdrew today, $ back in the pot for somebody! Best of luck all!

3putt
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby 3putt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:32 pm

Any news on scholarship negotiations or the realism of the 2L and 3L scholarships? I'm sure there are plenty of them, however, I never seem to find many that are purely merit based.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 pm

2L and 3L scholarships are real. You usually have to write an 1 page essay on why you should be chosen and send in a resume. They have some weird ones. Farming back ground, interest in space law, same interests as a classmate who tragically passed away. Then about 40 scholarships for those that want indigent defense work.

They also have ones for high achievers, non trads and URMs. I applied to a few and was not selected. :(

I didn't put out much of an effort, though.

almostthere1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 am

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby almostthere1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Anybody have any lsn data for what the medians are shaping up to be? If anyone is planning to visit the school in May lets consider meeting up. I am familiar with the area and wouldn't mind either picking up or just having company for my visit in May. I am in California at the moment but I was a CU undergrad and am very familiar with Colorado. I say we make McDuff (unofficial thread sponsor) do the honors and show us the law building!

histpols
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby histpols » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:38 pm

I withdrew last week. 1 spot and $50000+ back in the pot. Good luck everyone.

User avatar
PourMeTea
Posts: 6508
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:32 am

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:35 pm

PourMeTea wrote:Can I send a LOCI before an initial decision? Deposit deadlines :|


I would, plus a phone call. Explain why you want to live in Colorado.

almostthere1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 am

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby almostthere1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:31 am

How do journals work here, do you have to write on or is it by rank, or just volunteered?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], roar1018 and 12 guests