University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
QueenB

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby QueenB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:50 am

clemenza wrote:
QueenB wrote:Did anyone else get an email requesting a phone interview?

I haven't, were you waitlisted?

Nope, I've been in review since 1/17

moralsentiments

Postby moralsentiments » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Any admits willing to share scholarship info? Anyone attempted negotiation, or plan to?

cberg

Postby cberg » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:49 am

moralsentiments wrote:Any admits willing to share scholarship info? Anyone attempted negotiation, or plan to?

I sent an email asking for money and provided a run-down of the scholarships I've been offered at other schools. Still haven't heard back yet, which I'm taking as a good sign?

Side note: Talked to an alum who said that getting in-state after your first year is not as easy as they seem to imply, so I definitely need some sort of scholarship to make this move to Boulder happen! Keeping my fingers crossed.

moralsentiments

Postby moralsentiments » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:13 pm

cberg wrote:
moralsentiments wrote:Any admits willing to share scholarship info? Anyone attempted negotiation, or plan to?

I sent an email asking for money and provided a run-down of the scholarships I've been offered at other schools. Still haven't heard back yet, which I'm taking as a good sign?

Side note: Talked to an alum who said that getting in-state after your first year is not as easy as they seem to imply, so I definitely need some sort of scholarship to make this move to Boulder happen! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I wonder what the alum was talking about. The website indicates you need only reside in Colorado for 12 months to obtain resident status. So if you move to CO in late July/early August before classes start, you will have residency 1 year from that date. At least that's how I read it. Let me know what you think.

http://www.colorado.edu/law/admissions/ ... -residency

cberg

Postby cberg » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:33 pm

moralsentiments wrote:
cberg wrote:

I wonder what the alum was talking about. The website indicates you need only reside in Colorado for 12 months to obtain resident status. So if you move to CO in late July/early August before classes start, you will have residency 1 year from that date. At least that's how I read it. Let me know what you think.

http://www.colorado.edu/registrar/state ... -residency

"The specific requirements for establishing residency for tuition classification purposes are prescribed by state law. No person may establish domicile in Colorado solely for the purpose of changing a student's classification for tuition purposes from out-of-state to in-state. An individual who seeks to establish domicile while a registered student is presumed to be seeking domicile solely for tuition purposes, which is an unlawful purpose, absent clear and convincing evidence to the contrary [Colorado Revised Statutes § 23-7-101-103(2)(e)]."

Solely living in CO for 12 months isn't enough to actually get CO residency… she says you have to prove intent to settle in CO in order to be granted residency. Granted, she attended for undergrad but she still warned me not to bank on in-state tuition. I am continuing to do some research with law students… I'll keep you posted.

moralsentiments

Postby moralsentiments » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:36 pm

cberg wrote:
moralsentiments wrote:
cberg wrote:

http://www.colorado.edu/registrar/state ... -residency

"The specific requirements for establishing residency for tuition classification purposes are prescribed by state law. No person may establish domicile in Colorado solely for the purpose of changing a student's classification for tuition purposes from out-of-state to in-state. An individual who seeks to establish domicile while a registered student is presumed to be seeking domicile solely for tuition purposes, which is an unlawful purpose, absent clear and convincing evidence to the contrary [Colorado Revised Statutes § 23-7-101-103(2)(e)]."

Solely living in CO for 12 months isn't enough to actually get CO residency… she says you have to prove intent to settle in CO in order to be granted residency. Granted, she attended for undergrad but she still warned me not to bank on in-state tuition. I am continuing to do some research with law students… I'll keep you posted.

Yah that would be great. The assistant dean of admissions even told me I would be able to get in-state tuition for years 2 and 3 when I went to tour the school. This would be a deal breaker for me. I'll keep you posted as well if I get any new info.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:38 pm

Ummm, I did the in-state tuition process after my first year and it was, in fact, really easy.

moralsentiments

Postby moralsentiments » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:40 pm

LeDique wrote:Ummm, I did the in-state tuition process after my first year and it was, in fact, really easy.

This is what I have heard from a number of people. That's why I was a bit surprised to hear what the other poster was saying. Do you have any experience with scholarship negotiation? Is CU pretty open to that or not so much?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:46 pm

moralsentiments wrote:
LeDique wrote:Ummm, I did the in-state tuition process after my first year and it was, in fact, really easy.

This is what I have heard from a number of people. That's why I was a bit surprised to hear what the other poster was saying. Do you have any experience with scholarship negotiation? Is CU pretty open to that or not so much?

I think I tried and got nowhere. The like 24/8/8 offer or whatever it is is usually the best they do, other than the handful of full rides.

cberg

Postby cberg » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Yayyy. Sorry to cause any panic-- makes sense that it's easier as a law student than an undergrad!

moralsentiments

Postby moralsentiments » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:50 pm

LeDique wrote:
moralsentiments wrote:

I think I tried and got nowhere. The like 24/8/8 offer or whatever it is is usually the best they do, other than the handful of full rides.

Ah, bummer. Still worth a try I guess. Thanks.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Maybe getting in state for undergrad is hard. I don't know. In state for law school is automatic. Just have to fill out the paperwork.

Also scooped from the DU thread too good not to share:

rosebowlchamps100 wrote:How did everyone feel about ASD yesterday? Too much talk about CU for me, honestly.

iskim88

Postby iskim88 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:55 pm

Withdrawing

Good luck guys :)

anna8506

Postby anna8506 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:54 pm

iskim88 wrote:Withdrawing

Good luck guys :)

me too

Annie787

Postby Annie787 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 am

Status
Term: Fall
Year: 2014
Program Time: Full Time
Degree: JD
Decision Status: Decision Rendered
Decision Status Date: 3/10/2014

This is my status as of yesterday. Does anyone know if this means anything in particular? I haven't received an e-mail or call or anything from them yet...

Nevermind, they just sent me an e-mail. IN!

azug2azlaw

Postby azug2azlaw » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:27 am

Annie787 wrote:Status

This is my status as of yesterday. Does anyone know if this means anything in particular? I haven't received an e-mail or call or anything from them yet...

Congrats! I just got my e-mail as well! In!

graybee08

Postby graybee08 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:42 am

azug2azlaw wrote:
Annie787 wrote:Status

Congrats! I just got my e-mail as well! In!

Just got my e-mail, I'm in too. Congratulations!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Congrats all. Feel free to ask any questions, as always.

johannalee

Postby johannalee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:25 pm

When did everyone who got in apply? my application was completely early January and I still haven't found out definitively. I did a Skype interview a few weeks ago

uvandy

Postby uvandy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:50 pm

WL'ed. Both my numbers are below median but I had high hopes for some reason.

Annie787

Postby Annie787 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:48 pm

johannalee wrote:When did everyone who got in apply? my application was completely early January and I still haven't found out definitively. I did a Skype interview a few weeks ago

I went into review 2/26/14

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:14 am

johannalee wrote:When did everyone who got in apply? my application was completely early January and I still haven't found out definitively. I did a Skype interview a few weeks ago

Haha what was your interview like. "So er, we see you have good grades and a fine LSAT score... Are you like interested in coming here and stuff."

Complete YP.

johannalee

Postby johannalee » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:00 pm

I've been in review since like January but it'll randomly update the date. Last update was 2/17. Still haven't heard anything. This would be my second time contacting them but this seems kind of ridiculous. I have a 168 LSAT and a 3.92 GPA. I don't want to hurt myself with them but this just seems odd. I've heard from every other school I applied to at the same time as them and even some I applied to later.

Should I email them?

Also lol yeah that was pretty much my interview. I did get a "Tell me about a time when something went wrong in your life and what you did" but mostly we talked about hiking haha

QueenB

Postby QueenB » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 pm

johannalee wrote:I've been in review since like January but it'll randomly update the date. Last update was 2/17. Still haven't heard anything. This would be my second time contacting them but this seems kind of ridiculous. I have a 168 LSAT and a 3.92 GPA. I don't want to hurt myself with them but this just seems odd. I've heard from every other school I applied to at the same time as them and even some I applied to later.

Should I email them?

Also lol yeah that was pretty much my interview. I did get a "Tell me about a time when something went wrong in your life and what you did" but mostly we talked about hiking haha

Similar situation - I went complete 1/17, in review status was updated on 2/17, and did an interview 2 weeks ago. I finally called Friday and they said I should be hearing from them within the next two weeks.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:37 pm

johannalee wrote:I've been in review since like January but it'll randomly update the date. Last update was 2/17. Still haven't heard anything. This would be my second time contacting them but this seems kind of ridiculous. I have a 168 LSAT and a 3.92 GPA. I don't want to hurt myself with them but this just seems odd. I've heard from every other school I applied to at the same time as them and even some I applied to later.

Should I email them?

Let me ask you this. Is there any chance you will attend CU?

They have to play the game friend. Everyone tries to protect their acceptance rate. You have a 3.92 and a 168. Why CU over Ivey League? There are some people with your numbers who attend CU every year, but they usually have great scholarships and make it clear to admissions that CU is their number one choice.

If you really want to attend you'll have to say so, otherwise you will be yield protected. I had more pedestrian numbers (same LSAT but much lower GPA), was rejected or wait listed from lots of TTT schools. You just have to play their game too. Think of it from their perspective... Most applicants selfishly want to be accepted to every school they applied to, even after they have decided where they want to attend.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”