University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
johannalee

New

Re: University of Colorado c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Post by johannalee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:58 am

CU is my top school. I definitely told them that in the interview, but it wasn't with anyone from admissions. I'm not really interested in any Ivey's to be honest. I want to move to Colorado permanently and unless I get a better offer from Michigan or UT-Austin, Colorado is where I want to be.

So, should I email and be like, "sorry to harass you but um I wanna go to CU can you let me in pweeze?" Or maybe call? It's at the point where as soon as Boulder says you're in and with full tuition I'll pull my Harvard app and start looking for houses in the area.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:39 pm

johannalee wrote:CU is my top school. I definitely told them that in the interview, but it wasn't with anyone from admissions. I'm not really interested in any Ivey's to be honest. I want to move to Colorado permanently and unless I get a better offer from Michigan or UT-Austin, Colorado is where I want to be.

So, should I email and be like, "sorry to harass you but um I wanna go to CU can you let me in pweeze?" Or maybe call? It's at the point where as soon as Boulder says you're in and with full tuition I'll pull my Harvard app and start looking for houses in the area.
Yeah I empathize. Here are some thoughts.

Even though your numbers scream full ride, I wonder how many full ride scholarships they actually have to offer? With the class size they average, I bet they only have maybe 5 full boats per cycle. Surely people turn them down and so they offer more than five, but it can't be many more than five or it would screw the whole budget of too many accepted...

Long story short, I'm hesitant to encourage you to email them asking for a full ride. I imagine that could come off as entitled and immature. Keep in mind, there are people who decide to attend CU every year without full rides.. I think you're in a very tough spot.

I think you should ask yourself how much CU is worth to you and start from there. I know they offer people scholarships that cut tuition down to about 20k. If CU is worth 20k to you, then email them and tell them you'll withdraw other applications and pay both seat deposits with the full/20/20 scholarship you read about ( maybe look at LSN and find out the actual scholarship they are giving this year that leaves tuition around 20k total for all three years ). Try to make the email as sincere and humble as you can. They might take it the wrong way, but seriously, how can they blame you for playing the system in the exact same manner they are? Unless your a convicted coke dealer, 168 3.9 is auto admit.

Also talk to someone smarting than I am before actually doing this, but I'm not sure what else to do to avoid YP.

johannalee

New

Post by johannalee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
johannalee wrote:CU is my top school. I definitely told them that in the interview, but it wasn't with anyone from admissions. I'm not really interested in any Ivey's to be honest. I want to move to Colorado permanently and unless I get a better offer from Michigan or UT-Austin, Colorado is where I want to be.

Yeah I empathize. Here are some thoughts.

Even though your numbers scream full ride, I wonder how many full ride scholarships they actually have to offer? With the class size they average, I bet they only have maybe 5 full boats per cycle. Surely people turn them down and so they offer more than five, but it can't be many more than five or it would screw the whole budget of too many accepted...

Long story short, I'm hesitant to encourage you to email them asking for a full ride. I imagine that could come off as entitled and immature. Keep in mind, there are people who decide to attend CU every year without full rides.. I think you're in a very tough spot.

I think you should ask yourself how much CU is worth to you and start from there. I know they offer people scholarships that cut tuition down to about 20k. If CU is worth 20k to you, then email them and tell them you'll withdraw other applications and pay both seat deposits with the full/20/20 scholarship you read about ( maybe look at LSN and find out the actual scholarship they are giving this year that leaves tuition around 20k total for all three years ). Try to make the email as sincere and humble as you can. They might take it the wrong way, but seriously, how can they blame you for playing the system in the exact same manner they are? Unless your a convicted coke dealer, 168 3.9 is auto admit.

Also talk to someone smarting than I am before actually doing this, but I'm not sure what else to do to avoid YP.

Haha at this point I just want to know if I've been accepted. My application was completed January 3rd and has been in review for 2 months.

johannalee

New

Post by johannalee » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:13 pm

Last edited by johannalee on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QueenB

New

Post by QueenB » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am

Alright CU is my absolute top choice. I have my heart set on living in Boulder so I desperately need this acceptance. The fact that I don't have a decision yet is driving me crazy. I have a decent scholarship offer from ASU but I would much rather be in CO. So, is there a way that I can express to CU that I would definitely attend if accepted?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Silver

Post by Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 pm

QueenB wrote:Alright CU is my absolute top choice. I have my heart set on living in Boulder so I desperately need this acceptance. The fact that I don't have a decision yet is driving me crazy. I have a decent scholarship offer from ASU but I would much rather be in CO. So, is there a way that I can express to CU that I would definitely attend if accepted?
Email them and tell them just that.

almostthere1

New

Post by almostthere1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:08 am

In with small scholarship applied around late January, got my undergrad here bummed more money didn't come my way to make it feasible love the school :( oh well happy to be accepted but probably not realistic.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:16 am

almostthere1 wrote:In with small scholarship applied around late January, got my undergrad here bummed more money didn't come my way to make it feasible love the school :( oh well happy to be accepted but probably not realistic.
Do you want/plan to work in colorado? Sometimes people get caught up in going where they got the best deal they forget the most important question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

almostthere1

New

Post by almostthere1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:32 am

Sounds like a lot but three areas appeal to me Boulder/Denver, San Diego/oc, Chicago. However, I get where your going with that, reasons not being financial are often undervalued.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:09 pm

almostthere1 wrote:Sounds like a lot but three areas appeal to me Boulder/Denver, San Diego/oc, Chicago. However, I get where your going with that, reasons not being financial are often undervalued.
Yeah I've seen people in TLS really want to work in Illinois but feel snubbed by small $$ at U of Illinois so they decide to save 20k and attend U of Houston.

Law schools are very, very regional. San Diego wouldn't be a bad area to be in, though.

almostthere1

New

Post by almostthere1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Its my own fault really, needed to have a strong lsat to reflect my maturity and to distance myself from my ug gpa. 167 doesn't really have the impact, needed to break 170 I think :(

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Employment is going to be so much better for you class of '17 peps. I mean unless Putin tries to occupy Vermont or something. More jobs in Colorado. http://www.colorado.edu/law/sites/defau ... 8-2014.pdf. CU's new LST employment score is gonna be like 69%, with 17% underemployed.

Most impressive is probably the 25% in Public Interest. Gotta be one of the highest in the country.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

QueenB

New

Post by QueenB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:04 pm

LOVE getting waitlisted by my top choice school. LOVE IT

johannalee

New

Post by johannalee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:18 pm

Same here. LOVE getting tons of scholarship money to higher ranked schools with better employment, being in review for months and told constantly "2 more weeks" and then being waitlisted. I was even willing to spend money to go here.

... still accepting the waitlist spot though. But yeah, I'd love an explanation. I'm assuming just a lot of applications, but it still sucks.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:39 pm

PourMeTea wrote:I am irate this is my top choice school and I have been under review for months and I have reason to believe I am missing ASW
...really?

Don't you have a 170+?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Post removed.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Don't troll the acceptances forum.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Post removed.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Don't troll the acceptances forum.
Sorry mods. I was genuinely curious and I thought it was okay. In the ND forum, someone had a 170 and was a URM and was asking a question. One of the recent grads posted, "Why are you applying to ND? Go to Yale."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Post removed.

gimmedanger

New

Post by gimmedanger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:46 pm

pourmetea what does your award look like? still trying to decide if i will head to CU when i am getting better offers at better schools.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Don't troll the acceptances forum.
Sorry mods. I was genuinely curious and I thought it was okay. In the ND forum, someone had a 170 and was a URM and was asking a question. One of the recent grads posted, "Why are you applying to ND? Go to Yale."
Nah, I think I was being addressed. It's interesting to see a mod assuming the TLS hivemind and telling someone with a solid LSAT score not to "troll" because they couldn't possibly have a legitimate reason for wanting to attend Boulder.
Oh. lol

Yeah, I getcha. That's true though. What if you were from CO, had a full ride, and had personal reasons to attend (mother/father dying or med school boyfriend/girlfriend doing residency in the area)? It shouldn't be up to their discretion to deem something like that as trolling.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Post removed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”