Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Candy Wrappers
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Candy Wrappers » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:15 pm

anyone got the flyers for LawStartII and is thinking about attending?

libkam
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby libkam » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:57 am

kalicelau wrote:Is anyone else waiting to hear about a Dean's Scholarship or have any intel on when we might hear back? I was originally told April, then end of the month, but I am anxious to make a decision and a Dean's would seal the deal for me.


Does anyone have any updated information regarding the above question?

Shirosham
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Shirosham » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:10 am

Withdrew, best of luck!

paayter
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby paayter » Fri May 02, 2014 6:09 am

bkegslounge wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:I had previously written off Loyola, because I had a better scholarship elsewhere and they wouldn't negotiate. Today I received an email increasing my scholly from $96k to $105k. I think I'm putting Loyola back on the table. I'm going to see if I can still RSVP to the preview day tomorrow.


I got a small increase as well. What are your numbers if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want

Stats in my profile.

I had written off Loyola mainly because I live in West LA now and absolutely hate going anywhere near downtown. The law school campus is not very impressive and the daily commute would be terrible no matter how close you live. But I guess those shouldn't be the reasons I cross a school off my list.

If I could get them to drop the stip then I think I would seriously consider at least depositing next week.


top 75 percent is honestly not that bad, and at an institution like loyola...if you cant even hit median, you may be the unlucky underemployed/unemployed graduate. better than class of 2016s top 30 percent stip.

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby alecks » Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm

I'm retaking the LSAT to try and get into a better school / get a full ride from here, depending on how I do with my last retake. Someone in the admissions office said they would reconsider a scholarship with a June LSAT score, but I'm maxed out right now at 105k. Still put my seat deposit down. Still not excited.

FutbolCrazy
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby FutbolCrazy » Sun May 04, 2014 11:00 am

Does anyone know how much is the second seat deposit?

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby alecks » Mon May 05, 2014 12:22 pm

FutbolCrazy wrote:Does anyone know how much is the second seat deposit?


it's $500.


Withdrew today. 105k for someone else. I'm retaking the LSAT and shooting for a higher ranked school. good luck to all~!

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby bkegslounge » Fri May 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Just got bumped up to a Alumni Scholar. $120k plus a book stipend for 1L plus they will adjust the scholarship to cover future tuition hikes (still 2.8 GPA stip). Gaaaah I was pretty much set on going to USD... ($106k with no stip). Would I be crazy to pass this up at this point?

User avatar
krispymenudo
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby krispymenudo » Fri May 09, 2014 7:31 pm

bkegslounge wrote:Just got bumped up to a Alumni Scholar. $120k plus a book stipend for 1L plus they will adjust the scholarship to cover future tuition hikes (still 2.8 GPA stip). Gaaaah I was pretty much set on going to USD... ($106k with no stip). Would I be crazy to pass this up at this point?



I got bumped to 96k plus hikes and 1 time book stipend today. I'm already set on Notre Dame though, but it is my scholarship that held me back from taking Loyola seriously at all as their initial offer was abysmal.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri May 09, 2014 7:33 pm

120k and

An annual increase in your scholarship to match any percentage increase in tuition during your years at Loyola.
In the summer following the successful completion of all first year courses, a clerkship at a private law office with Loyola alumni for 2 units of course credit or 2 units of summer school classes, at no charge, on the LLS campus (approximate value of two units is $3,400).
An Alumni mentor, who you will meet at events planned for this summer and fall.
A one-year book stipend, up to $1,370, to assist with your book expenses for the 2014-2015 academic year.

Hmm...

Newb2law
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Newb2law » Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Hmm...


Manofthehour, you got a 167 on your lsat... why would you go to loyola?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri May 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Newb2law wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Hmm...


Manofthehour, you got a 167 on your lsat... why would you go to loyola?


I won't but it made me dream of going to a better school with those options. Sounds so good going to a school for free/extremely cheap. $$$ for books man. That's like the dream.

skatekate
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:07 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby skatekate » Fri May 09, 2014 7:59 pm

Got the Alumni Scholar too! It sounds too good to be true. My other options are BU/WUSTL but I would love to be in LA.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby bkegslounge » Fri May 09, 2014 8:06 pm

skatekate wrote:Got the Alumni Scholar too! It sounds too good to be true. My other options are BU/WUSTL but I would love to be in LA.

That's exactly what I thought when I read it. Especially because my stats are at their median. Loyola has a great alumni base in LA. I currently work at a law firm in Santa Monica (about 150 lawyers) that is mostly Loyola grads. They always say they prefer to hire their own. I don't think any of my other options will match this offer.

aco227
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby aco227 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
skatekate wrote:Got the Alumni Scholar too! It sounds too good to be true. My other options are BU/WUSTL but I would love to be in LA.

That's exactly what I thought when I read it. Especially because my stats are at their median. Loyola has a great alumni base in LA. I currently work at a law firm in Santa Monica (about 150 lawyers) that is mostly Loyola grads. They always say they prefer to hire their own. I don't think any of my other options will match this offer.


They upped me to 96k with a 1L book stipend as well today. From what I (we've) experienced so far, my gut tells me that Loyola is trying to beat their rival schools (USD and Pepp) to students by beating them to the scholly re-considerations. I didn't even put in the deposit at Loyola. At this point, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another offer from USD in the coming weeks. Based on these offers, and the massive waitlists at higher-ranked schools, I truly think that schools are really struggling with what to do this year with the number of applicants decreasing significantly yet again.

In terms of your personal situation... I can't speak for you obviously, and 14k is certainly no small amount of money. But both of your offers are extremely impressive, and assuming you're able to get a job (which, considering your stats/ambition, I expect shouldn't be a huge worry of yours), I feel like you should choose the school that you feel more comfortable at. Paying off loans is gonna suck--undoubtedly--but I also feel really strongly that at the end of the day, your personal happiness should outweigh things like debt differential and school rankings.

onlyunholy
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby onlyunholy » Mon May 12, 2014 11:52 am

Currently have 105k -- already deposited -- wondering if they'll consider giving me the alumni scholarship + book stipend for 1L + summer opportunity as USD upped their scholly to 111k.. Worth a shot?

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby bkegslounge » Mon May 12, 2014 3:39 pm

onlyunholy wrote:Currently have 105k -- already deposited -- wondering if they'll consider giving me the alumni scholarship + book stipend for 1L + summer opportunity as USD upped their scholly to 111k.. Worth a shot?

Was that your first bump from USD? My Loyola offer is now higher than my USD offer but Dean Garcia said my last bump was his final offer. I'm still going to email him today to see if he'll bump me up again.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby bkegslounge » Mon May 12, 2014 3:43 pm

aco227 wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
skatekate wrote:Got the Alumni Scholar too! It sounds too good to be true. My other options are BU/WUSTL but I would love to be in LA.

That's exactly what I thought when I read it. Especially because my stats are at their median. Loyola has a great alumni base in LA. I currently work at a law firm in Santa Monica (about 150 lawyers) that is mostly Loyola grads. They always say they prefer to hire their own. I don't think any of my other options will match this offer.


They upped me to 96k with a 1L book stipend as well today. From what I (we've) experienced so far, my gut tells me that Loyola is trying to beat their rival schools (USD and Pepp) to students by beating them to the scholly re-considerations. I didn't even put in the deposit at Loyola. At this point, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another offer from USD in the coming weeks. Based on these offers, and the massive waitlists at higher-ranked schools, I truly think that schools are really struggling with what to do this year with the number of applicants decreasing significantly yet again.

In terms of your personal situation... I can't speak for you obviously, and 14k is certainly no small amount of money. But both of your offers are extremely impressive, and assuming you're able to get a job (which, considering your stats/ambition, I expect shouldn't be a huge worry of yours), I feel like you should choose the school that you feel more comfortable at. Paying off loans is gonna suck--undoubtedly--but I also feel really strongly that at the end of the day, your personal happiness should outweigh things like debt differential and school rankings.

I've really been struggling with just that. I think I'd be happier at USD but I feel like Loyola's alumni base plus being in a huge legal market plus the extra money makes Loyola the better option right now. I'm going to see if USD will increase my scholly again though. If not, then I might have to take the money at Loyola.

And I definitely agree that the regional schools are battling it out for seats right now. After I didn't deposit at Loyola, I figured I was going to USD and then out of nowhere they send the Alumni Scholar offer. They must really be struggling to fill their class with student's that will keep their medians.

hellohelp
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby hellohelp » Mon May 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Did you receive notification of your scholarship bump via email? And who do y'all suggest getting into contact with regarding scholarship offers?

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby bkegslounge » Mon May 12, 2014 7:59 pm

hellohelp wrote:Did you receive notification of your scholarship bump via email? And who do y'all suggest getting into contact with regarding scholarship offers?

Mine came in an email from assistant dean Jannell Roberts. I guess a hard copy is suppose to come in the mail soon.

onlyunholy
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby onlyunholy » Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
onlyunholy wrote:Currently have 105k -- already deposited -- wondering if they'll consider giving me the alumni scholarship + book stipend for 1L + summer opportunity as USD upped their scholly to 111k.. Worth a shot?

Was that your first bump from USD? My Loyola offer is now higher than my USD offer but Dean Garcia said my last bump was his final offer. I'm still going to email him today to see if he'll bump me up again.


I have been bumped once from both Loyola and USD. Loyola upped me 9k, USD 6k. I'm looking for another bump from Loyola..

cocobutterkisses
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby cocobutterkisses » Tue May 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi! So I got bumped to $84000 this week which is great, as I hadn't asked for it yet. However, I was hoping to get $105 or 96 :/ at what point should I try negotiating/ how would I go about that? I don't really have anything much to offer, as I'm at median score and gpawise and I'm wait listed at many other schools and did not deposit at the rest, although they were higher ranked than Loyola. Im pretty in love with Loyola, but a scholly bump would make it my definite choice, regardless of other offers. Any tips?? (Like who/when/what to email??)

Thanks!!

melisss_1009
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby melisss_1009 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:21 pm

So I got bumped to 96k and a 1L book stipend yesterday via email. This is the second bump I have received from them and I deposited awhile ago. I started with 60k then got bumped to 78k now to 96k w/book stipend. They are handing out money like candy on halloween lol

Tburg
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Tburg » Wed May 14, 2014 3:39 pm

melisss_1009 wrote:So I got bumped to 96k and a 1L book stipend yesterday via email. This is the second bump I have received from them and I deposited awhile ago. I started with 60k then got bumped to 78k now to 96k w/book stipend. They are handing out money like candy on halloween lol

Was this a full book stipend?

melisss_1009
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby melisss_1009 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:25 pm

No it says up to $750 for books




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”