Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Candy Wrappers
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Candy Wrappers » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:43 pm

here's the link to the loyola LA class of 2017 page that i just made: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=228460

feel free to jump in and let's get acquainted :D

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby bkegslounge » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:04 pm

I had previously written off Loyola, because I had a better scholarship elsewhere and they wouldn't negotiate. Today I received an email increasing my scholly from $96k to $105k. I think I'm putting Loyola back on the table. I'm going to see if I can still RSVP to the preview day tomorrow.

User avatar
DerekZoolander
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby DerekZoolander » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:36 pm

bkegslounge wrote:I had previously written off Loyola, because I had a better scholarship elsewhere and they wouldn't negotiate. Today I received an email increasing my scholly from $96k to $105k. I think I'm putting Loyola back on the table. I'm going to see if I can still RSVP to the preview day tomorrow.


I got a small increase as well. What are your numbers if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby alecks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:38 pm

I got the same. I'm considering going here now. But I'm also scared of Loyola's reputation. Glad they extended the seat deadline.

User avatar
DerekZoolander
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby DerekZoolander » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:43 pm

alecks wrote:I got the same. I'm considering going here now. But I'm also scared of Loyola's reputation. Glad they extended the seat deadline.


What scares you?

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby bkegslounge » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:I had previously written off Loyola, because I had a better scholarship elsewhere and they wouldn't negotiate. Today I received an email increasing my scholly from $96k to $105k. I think I'm putting Loyola back on the table. I'm going to see if I can still RSVP to the preview day tomorrow.


I got a small increase as well. What are your numbers if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want

Stats in my profile.

I had written off Loyola mainly because I live in West LA now and absolutely hate going anywhere near downtown. The law school campus is not very impressive and the daily commute would be terrible no matter how close you live. But I guess those shouldn't be the reasons I cross a school off my list.

If I could get them to drop the stip then I think I would seriously consider at least depositing next week.

User avatar
DerekZoolander
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby DerekZoolander » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:55 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:I had previously written off Loyola, because I had a better scholarship elsewhere and they wouldn't negotiate. Today I received an email increasing my scholly from $96k to $105k. I think I'm putting Loyola back on the table. I'm going to see if I can still RSVP to the preview day tomorrow.


I got a small increase as well. What are your numbers if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want

Stats in my profile.

I had written off Loyola mainly because I live in West LA now and absolutely hate going anywhere near downtown. The law school campus is not very impressive and the daily commute would be terrible no matter how close you live. But I guess those shouldn't be the reasons I cross a school off my list.

If I could get them to drop the stip then I think I would seriously consider at least depositing next week.


I feel pretty much the same. I'd live in Santa Monica/beach cities probably. I personally enjoyed the campus itself, but obviously the neighborhood around could use some TLC.

Shirosham
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Shirosham » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Ugh. They'd be a serious option for me if they offered a scholarship. I emailed the Dean for a reconsideration and mentioned that I received competitive offers from Pepperdine, scu, Lewis and Clark and I got that they would keep me in mind but no additional funds are available...

Worth trying again? I don't want to be super annoying or anything, especially if there's no hope.

cmroberto
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby cmroberto » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 pm

I also got an unsolicited bump today from 96k to 105k but I am already committed to USC. the extra money wouldn't have made a difference anyways - the drop in rankings scared me off a month ago. best of luck to those who are still waiting for an increase

owlie
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby owlie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:05 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:I had previously written off Loyola, because I had a better scholarship elsewhere and they wouldn't negotiate. Today I received an email increasing my scholly from $96k to $105k. I think I'm putting Loyola back on the table. I'm going to see if I can still RSVP to the preview day tomorrow.


I got a small increase as well. What are your numbers if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want

Stats in my profile.

I had written off Loyola mainly because I live in West LA now and absolutely hate going anywhere near downtown. The law school campus is not very impressive and the daily commute would be terrible no matter how close you live. But I guess those shouldn't be the reasons I cross a school off my list.

If I could get them to drop the stip then I think I would seriously consider at least depositing next week.


I feel pretty much the same. I'd live in Santa Monica/beach cities probably. I personally enjoyed the campus itself, but obviously the neighborhood around could use some TLC.


It seems like half of LLS's student body commutes from either the Westside or South Bay. Honestly, the commute is no trouble if you end up in a morning section, because you're classes start at 8am (so you beat most of the traffic coming in) and you're on campus/in the library until past rush hour on the way home. If you end up in an afternoon section, then you can come in after the morning rush hour, and you'll miss the end of the day rush, too, unless you leave right after class.

TL/DR: there are plenty of reasons to not go to Loyola (ranking, employment numbers, small scholarship, not wanting to practice in LA), but the commute isn't a good one.

User avatar
Candy Wrappers
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Candy Wrappers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Shirosham wrote:Ugh. They'd be a serious option for me if they offered a scholarship. I emailed the Dean for a reconsideration and mentioned that I received competitive offers from Pepperdine, scu, Lewis and Clark and I got that they would keep me in mind but no additional funds are available...

Worth trying again? I don't want to be super annoying or anything, especially if there's no hope.


i think it's their way of trying to keep their LSAT numbers as high as possible. bumping the schollys of those with high stats, hoping those who decided to go to LLS can bring up their numbers. while keeping those with borderline numbers at bay with no money. honestly, i don't think it's a matter of being annoying or not. they admitted you, so it's not like they can say "hey because you are annoying we will take back your admission." i think you can prob ask again after the 1st deposit deadline. by then, they have a better idea of how many high stats withdrew from the pool. you prob have a better shot then. the worse, you get the same answer: NO. if you do decide to ask again, let me know how it goes.

Shirosham
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Shirosham » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Candy Wrappers wrote:
Shirosham wrote:Ugh. They'd be a serious option for me if they offered a scholarship. I emailed the Dean for a reconsideration and mentioned that I received competitive offers from Pepperdine, scu, Lewis and Clark and I got that they would keep me in mind but no additional funds are available...

Worth trying again? I don't want to be super annoying or anything, especially if there's no hope.


i think it's their way of trying to keep their LSAT numbers as high as possible. bumping the schollys of those with high stats, hoping those who decided to go to LLS can bring up their numbers. while keeping those with borderline numbers at bay with no money. honestly, i don't think it's a matter of being annoying or not. they admitted you, so it's not like they can say "hey because you are annoying we will take back your admission." i think you can prob ask again after the 1st deposit deadline. by then, they have a better idea of how many high stats withdrew from the pool. you prob have a better shot then. the worse, you get the same answer: NO. if you do decide to ask again, let me know how it goes.


I guess that's where I'm confused. I have a low gpa but my LSAT is just over their 75%. Do they care about their Gpa that much?

I'm most likely not going to place a seat deposit without some kind of guaranteed money since I'm pretty broke right now and I've placed deposits already at other schools. I figured my offers from Pepperdine and other schools might change their mind... But I'll shoot them another email probably tomorrow and I'll let you know how that turns out.

paayter
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby paayter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:26 pm

Shirosham wrote:
Candy Wrappers wrote:
Shirosham wrote:Ugh. They'd be a serious option for me if they offered a scholarship. I emailed the Dean for a reconsideration and mentioned that I received competitive offers from Pepperdine, scu, Lewis and Clark and I got that they would keep me in mind but no additional funds are available...

Worth trying again? I don't want to be super annoying or anything, especially if there's no hope.


i think it's their way of trying to keep their LSAT numbers as high as possible. bumping the schollys of those with high stats, hoping those who decided to go to LLS can bring up their numbers. while keeping those with borderline numbers at bay with no money. honestly, i don't think it's a matter of being annoying or not. they admitted you, so it's not like they can say "hey because you are annoying we will take back your admission." i think you can prob ask again after the 1st deposit deadline. by then, they have a better idea of how many high stats withdrew from the pool. you prob have a better shot then. the worse, you get the same answer: NO. if you do decide to ask again, let me know how it goes.


I guess that's where I'm confused. I have a low gpa but my LSAT is just over their 75%. Do they care about their Gpa that much?

I'm most likely not going to place a seat deposit without some kind of guaranteed money since I'm pretty broke right now and I've placed deposits already at other schools. I figured my offers from Pepperdine and other schools might change their mind... But I'll shoot them another email probably tomorrow and I'll let you know how that turns out.



i thot u were withdrawing? i shrugged off pepp cuz their offer was crap for me, nd it made no sense to go pepp over loyola when lst score is the same but loyola offers nearby access to la legal market. gpa is pretty impt ive noticed gpa really determines how high ur scolly can go. nd if ur gpa is way below 25th itll hurt them. i think loyola is really lookin for people who will bump both gpa and lsat. i hope u get one! nd i may be withdrawing... it seems a lot will b withdrawing meaning funds can open up ne time

Shirosham
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Shirosham » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 am

paayter wrote:
Shirosham wrote:
Candy Wrappers wrote:
Shirosham wrote:Ugh. They'd be a serious option for me if they offered a scholarship. I emailed the Dean for a reconsideration and mentioned that I received competitive offers from Pepperdine, scu, Lewis and Clark and I got that they would keep me in mind but no additional funds are available...

Worth trying again? I don't want to be super annoying or anything, especially if there's no hope.


i think it's their way of trying to keep their LSAT numbers as high as possible. bumping the schollys of those with high stats, hoping those who decided to go to LLS can bring up their numbers. while keeping those with borderline numbers at bay with no money. honestly, i don't think it's a matter of being annoying or not. they admitted you, so it's not like they can say "hey because you are annoying we will take back your admission." i think you can prob ask again after the 1st deposit deadline. by then, they have a better idea of how many high stats withdrew from the pool. you prob have a better shot then. the worse, you get the same answer: NO. if you do decide to ask again, let me know how it goes.


I guess that's where I'm confused. I have a low gpa but my LSAT is just over their 75%. Do they care about their Gpa that much?

I'm most likely not going to place a seat deposit without some kind of guaranteed money since I'm pretty broke right now and I've placed deposits already at other schools. I figured my offers from Pepperdine and other schools might change their mind... But I'll shoot them another email probably tomorrow and I'll let you know how that turns out.



i thot u were withdrawing? i shrugged off pepp cuz their offer was crap for me, nd it made no sense to go pepp over loyola when lst score is the same but loyola offers nearby access to la legal market. gpa is pretty impt ive noticed gpa really determines how high ur scolly can go. nd if ur gpa is way below 25th itll hurt them. i think loyola is really lookin for people who will bump both gpa and lsat. i hope u get one! nd i may be withdrawing... it seems a lot will b withdrawing meaning funds can open up ne time

Trying to get my best offer so I can decide between all of them. Was in socal and dropped by campus and talked with my friend and he loved it there and slowly getting me interested.
:/. Haha stressing out the past few days. Oh well. Good prep, haha.

FutbolCrazy
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby FutbolCrazy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:00 am

I really want to go here, but I got no scholarship $. I just can't justify paying full sticker price.

User avatar
Candy Wrappers
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Candy Wrappers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:18 am

FutbolCrazy wrote:I really want to go here, but I got no scholarship $. I just can't justify paying full sticker price.


if your lsat n gpa are both above median you can tell them your financial situation is the only hindering factor in committing to them. see if that will move them.

owlie
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby owlie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:21 am

If any of you are looking at gym options, LivingSocial has a deal at CrossFit213 where you get three months for $99.
http://goo.gl/nozfqx

It'd also be worthwhile to stalk Groupon, which ran a deal for the Gold's downtown last year.

User avatar
DerekZoolander
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby DerekZoolander » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:41 am

owlie wrote:If any of you are looking at gym options, LivingSocial has a deal at CrossFit213 where you get three months for $99.
http://goo.gl/nozfqx

It'd also be worthwhile to stalk Groupon, which ran a deal for the Gold's downtown last year.


The 7th and Fig one?

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby alecks » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:50 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:
alecks wrote:I got the same. I'm considering going here now. But I'm also scared of Loyola's reputation. Glad they extended the seat deadline.


What scares you?


the ~50% employment score, drop in rankings, also I have a good friend who is a loyola grad, working at the AT&T retail store 2 years after graduation :/



I'll most likely be withdrawing so that's 105k that can go to someone else!

owlie
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby owlie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:09 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:
owlie wrote:If any of you are looking at gym options, LivingSocial has a deal at CrossFit213 where you get three months for $99.
http://goo.gl/nozfqx

It'd also be worthwhile to stalk Groupon, which ran a deal for the Gold's downtown last year.


The 7th and Fig one?


Yeah. I paid $49 for three months back in August. It was always crazy crowded, so I didn't renew, but you can't beat that price. It also comes with free parking (with validation), which was a nice perk for Target runs.

User avatar
DerekZoolander
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby DerekZoolander » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:22 pm

owlie wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:
owlie wrote:If any of you are looking at gym options, LivingSocial has a deal at CrossFit213 where you get three months for $99.
http://goo.gl/nozfqx

It'd also be worthwhile to stalk Groupon, which ran a deal for the Gold's downtown last year.


The 7th and Fig one?


Yeah. I paid $49 for three months back in August. It was always crazy crowded, so I didn't renew, but you can't beat that price. It also comes with free parking (with validation), which was a nice perk for Target runs.


You get validation during the Target run anyway, from Target. But I get your point.

owlie
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby owlie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:52 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:
owlie wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:
owlie wrote:If any of you are looking at gym options, LivingSocial has a deal at CrossFit213 where you get three months for $99.
http://goo.gl/nozfqx

It'd also be worthwhile to stalk Groupon, which ran a deal for the Gold's downtown last year.


The 7th and Fig one?


Yeah. I paid $49 for three months back in August. It was always crazy crowded, so I didn't renew, but you can't beat that price. It also comes with free parking (with validation), which was a nice perk for Target runs.


You get validation during the Target run anyway, from Target. But I get your point.


Sure, but Target validation = $1 for some shorter time frame (90 min, I think?), and Gold's validation = free parking for 3 hours. Not a big deal, to be sure, but perks are perks?

User avatar
DerekZoolander
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby DerekZoolander » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:57 pm

owlie wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:
owlie wrote:
DerekZoolander wrote:It'd also be worthwhile to stalk Groupon, which ran a deal for the Gold's downtown last year.


The 7th and Fig one?


Yeah. I paid $49 for three months back in August. It was always crazy crowded, so I didn't renew, but you can't beat that price. It also comes with free parking (with validation), which was a nice perk for Target runs.


You get validation during the Target run anyway, from Target. But I get your point.


Sure, but Target validation = $1 for some shorter time frame (90 min, I think?), and Gold's validation = free parking for 3 hours. Not a big deal, to be sure, but perks are perks?[/quote]

Ah I see. I think the last time I went to that Target the validation made it free, so maybe it's changed since then. The Gold's looked like a nice gym, but when I walked past it was really crowded. Best part of that place is that food court...awesome fast casual places.

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby alecks » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:11 pm

has anyone had success squeezing more money out of them?? I'm already at 105k, although I have no leverage considering I only applied to 3 schools and the other two denied me...

joodaman
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby joodaman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:42 pm

has anyone been accepted to the evening program lately? scholarship money?

I asked admissions a few weeks ago what the timeline looked like and they said they were hoping to get responses to everyone by the end of April, but I haven't seen any updates yet.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests