Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ec24

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ec24 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:06 pm

krispymenudo wrote:
ec24 wrote:Hey guys,

I was admitted but I will be withdrawing today so hopefully they can allocate the $ (96k) and spot to someone else who would actually go. Good luck!

Edit: FYI, I sent them my Pepperdine scholly (148k) previously and they told me they won't up my $ unless I sent them a letter addressed to the dean of admissions specifically asking to be considered for a name scholarship. If I were you guys, I would send her that letter and keep sending more updates/numbers their way. No negotiation seems silly at a time where the law school economy is a buyer's market.

By name scholarship, do you mean we should request a specific one or just tell them we would like "a name scholarship"?

Exact wording: "Unfortunately, we do not offer a matching program. In April, the Scholarship Committee will review our top admits for our Deans Scholar program. This program offers a full-tuition scholarship and a small stipend for books and fees. If you are interested in this program, you are welcome to send a letter of interest to my attention. These awards will be extended before our first seat deposit deadline (April 30.)"

Even if you don't qualify, I would send a letter their way. What's the harm?

bloomingtea

Postby bloomingtea » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:54 am

Loyola Law School
^In case some people didn't know what the law school looks like... :|

Law school is already going to be super depressing atmosphere. I think this exacerbates the problem, unless you like post-modern architecture.

Candy Wrappers

Postby Candy Wrappers » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:12 am

bloomingtea wrote:
Law school is already going to be super depressing atmosphere. I think this exacerbates the problem, unless you like post-modern architecture.

actually, i didn't mind it that much when i visited. granted, it's different from other LS. LLS has this extremely professional/business/ in the city vibe. its actually not that depressing and my friend say the library is amazing (she studied there for her bar). tho its surrounded by the ghetto, the block is gated and locked. you can only get in and out with your ID. anyways, i understand what bloomingtea is saying tho.

bloomingtea

Postby bloomingtea » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:23 am

Candy Wrappers wrote:
bloomingtea wrote:

actually, i didn't mind it that much when i visited. granted, it's different from other LS. LLS has this extremely professional/business/ in the city vibe. its actually not that depressing and my friend say the library is amazing (she studied there for her bar). tho its surrounded by the ghetto, the block is gated and locked. you can only get in and out with your ID. anyways, i understand what bloomingtea is saying tho.

I started looking up more pictures, and it didn't seem that bad. I think that particular picture had lens darkening feature + those gates + that beat up car + ghettoness + ominous clouds = depressing/scary. In its less intimidating pictures the LS reminds me of a giant playground through.

Edited to fix typos.
Last edited by bloomingtea on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

underwear

Postby underwear » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:53 am

bloomingtea wrote:Loyola Law School
^In case some people didn't know what the law school looks like... :|

LOL. i've passed by it so many times... always thought it was a juvenile detention center or something.

Candy Wrappers

Postby Candy Wrappers » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:33 am

bloomingtea wrote:the LS reminds me of a giant playground through.

i have to agree with this statement. the famous architect that designed the school is known for his out of the box ideas. he designed the disney hall in DTLA as well. so you can understand his general taste. im more of a old-world person, so i understand why people wouldn't necessary appreciate LLS's look. if i were gonna design a LS, i wouldn't have done it his way either :roll:

owlie

Postby owlie » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:37 am

Hey guys, LLS 1L here.

I just needed a break from midterm prep and thought I'd check out TLS, as I know it was hugely helpful for me as I was going through the process last year.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to shoot them my way.

One thing though: LLS is a pain in the ass to negotiate with, but they do eventually bump (some) people up. I know several 1L's that negotiated up their schollys (including myself), though I don't know anyone who got more than the 96k unless they got a named scholly, and no one got the stips removed. I sent them scanned copies of each of my award letters from other schools, and played up the whole "L.A.'s cost of living vrs. Everywhere not named NYC or SF" card. It took until past the first deposit, but eventually the money came.

Good luck!

Candy Wrappers

Postby Candy Wrappers » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:10 pm

owlie wrote:Hey guys, LLS 1L here.

I just needed a break from midterm prep and thought I'd check out TLS, as I know it was hugely helpful for me as I was going through the process last year.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to shoot them my way.

One thing though: LLS is a pain in the ass to negotiate with, but they do eventually bump (some) people up. I know several 1L's that negotiated up their schollys (including myself), though I don't know anyone who got more than the 96k unless they got a named scholly, and no one got the stips removed. I sent them scanned copies of each of my award letters from other schools, and played up the whole "L.A.'s cost of living vrs. Everywhere not named NYC or SF" card. It took until past the first deposit, but eventually the money came.

Good luck!

Thank you!! And thanks for the info on negotiation. :) good luck on ur exam! U wil def be hearing from me (us) hehe

LAK8

Postby LAK8 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:19 pm

For those of you who received a financial award, did it arrive with the acceptance package?

bloomingtea

Postby bloomingtea » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:14 pm

LAK8 wrote:For those of you who received a financial award, did it arrive with the acceptance package?

Yes.

underwear

Postby underwear » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:37 pm

For the people that received financial awards: I'm guessing they're purely merit-based? (In other words, did the amounts change after you submitted your FAFSA? Or was your FAFSA already reflected on your award?)

I sent in my FAFSA recently and didn't see any mention of $$$ in the acceptance mail I got today: so I'm thinking I'm either SOL or bound to receive a follow-up financial aid letter. Thoughts?

bloomingtea

Postby bloomingtea » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:31 pm

underwear wrote:For the people that received financial awards: I'm guessing they're purely merit-based? (In other words, did the amounts change after you submitted your FAFSA? Or was your FAFSA already reflected on your award?)

I sent in my FAFSA recently and didn't see any mention of $$$ in the acceptance mail I got today: so I'm thinking I'm either SOL or bound to receive a follow-up financial aid letter. Thoughts?

I think the amount sent with the admission packet is purely merit-based. Idk if they even give need-based grants.

Candy Wrappers

Postby Candy Wrappers » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 pm

your FAFSA will come directly from the financial aid department of the school later on i think. it's separated from the admissions.

underwear

Postby underwear » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Last edited by underwear on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candy Wrappers

Postby Candy Wrappers » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:21 am

underwear wrote:^ do you happen to know how late?

bloomingtea wrote:Idk if they even give need-based grants.

edit: i think you're right bloomingtea.
edit 2: didn't realize how far the law school was from LMU's main campus... Which means no reasonable free gym membership. dealbreakorz.

im not sure..i just sent in my FAFSA last month...will let you know if i hear anything. im guessing you will need to give them 1-2 months. that seem to be how slow everything works in america when there's a "system."

yea..i was a bit annoyed at the lack of free gym. tho they say there's a Gold's Gym nearby and they give special Loyola student deals (dunno how much tho).

Newb2law

Postby Newb2law » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:32 pm

GUYS.
You all seem so knowledgeable could you please give me your opinion on this, I sent in my application today.. highest lsat 163 gpa 3.6+ do you think i have a chance at a scholarship or is it too late? :'(

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 am

Newb2law wrote:GUYS.
You all seem so knowledgeable could you please give me your opinion on this, I sent in my application today.. highest lsat 163 gpa 3.6+ do you think i have a chance at a scholarship or is it too late? :'(

I think you have a good chance. Some people (like me) will probably withdraw near the first deposit deadline and that money will go back into the pool. Others might withdraw before the second deadline. Just hang in there.

natarolow

Postby natarolow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:49 am

Anyone else on the wait list? Loyola is my #1 so I sent in an additional recommendation and a letter of continued interest. Any other suggestions? Thanks :)

owlie

Postby owlie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:59 am

Candy Wrappers wrote:
underwear wrote:^ do you happen to know how late?

bloomingtea wrote:Idk if they even give need-based grants.

edit: i think you're right bloomingtea.
edit 2: didn't realize how far the law school was from LMU's main campus... Which means no reasonable free gym membership. dealbreakorz.

im not sure..i just sent in my FAFSA last month...will let you know if i hear anything. im guessing you will need to give them 1-2 months. that seem to be how slow everything works in america when there's a "system."

yea..i was a bit annoyed at the lack of free gym. tho they say there's a Gold's Gym nearby and they give special Loyola student deals (dunno how much tho).

1. I haven't heard of anyone with need-based grants, but need is factored in to some of the scholarships you can apply for as a 1L/2L.
2. My FAFSA-related "award letter" (by which they mean "Here's the obscene amount of loans you'll need to cover the $74k in projected yearly costs") came pretty late, after the first deposit IIRC. And I applied in Nov., was admitted in Jan., and filed my FAFSA in Jan.
3. On gyms: even the LMU gym isn't free, you pay a semester fee. Most people go to Gold's, which is really easy to get to. A shuttle runs from campus to 7th/Fig, where the gym is, so you can park for free at the school (assuming you paid for a parking pass, which is $300ish/semester unless you carpool) and shuttle over, or just use the 7th/Fig parking lot, which Gold's will validate. The cheapest option is to stalk Groupon. I got 3 months for $49 in the fall. Their regular student rate is $40/mo, I believe. Some people use the 24 hr fitness in DTLA, but I only hear bad things. If you're under 30, the L.A. Athletic Club is REALLY nice, and only runs $66/month. That's what I would do, if I lived downtown.

owlie

Postby owlie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:03 am

Newb2law wrote:GUYS.

You have better numbers than I did, and I got $54k as a first offer, though I did apply early. Make sure you apply to USD and Pepperdine (the schools LLS sees most as "peers"), at least. Plus better ranked CA schools. They'll help with negotiation later.

underwear

Postby underwear » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:21 am

owlie wrote:....

sending a PM

Candy Wrappers

Postby Candy Wrappers » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Yikes at the gym cost.

krispymenudo

Postby krispymenudo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:02 pm

Dean Roberts already emailed me back regarding the scholarship and that the qualifications are strictly 164+ LSAT and 3.5+ GPA which I don't qualify for. Any other options?

owlie

Postby owlie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:21 pm

krispymenudo wrote:Dean Roberts already emailed me back regarding the scholarship and that the qualifications are strictly 164+ LSAT and 3.5+ GPA which I don't qualify for. Any other options?

Wait it out. I just looked through my email history, and I ended up sending 8 scholarship negotiation related emails between when I got in (January) and when I got a bump (July). I had to put down multiple first deposits (and negotiate extensions on second deposit deadlines, since LLS doesn't allow multiple second deposits), so as to not surrender any leverage, but in the end, it was worth it as they damn near doubled my offer.

There will be more money in the pot as people withdraw, and the longer you can ride it out, the better your chances.

I just saw you were a URM? There's also the CA Bar Diversity scholarship, which you should throw your hat in the ring for. http://www.calbarfoundation.org/diversi ... rship.html

krispymenudo

Postby krispymenudo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:37 pm

owlie wrote:
krispymenudo wrote:Dean Roberts already emailed me back regarding the scholarship and that the qualifications are strictly 164+ LSAT and 3.5+ GPA which I don't qualify for. Any other options?

Wait it out. I just looked through my email history, and I ended up sending 8 scholarship negotiation related emails between when I got in (January) and when I got a bump (July). I had to put down multiple first deposits (and negotiate extensions on second deposit deadlines, since LLS doesn't allow multiple second deposits), so as to not surrender any leverage, but in the end, it was worth it as they damn near doubled my offer.

There will be more money in the pot as people withdraw, and the longer you can ride it out, the better your chances.

I just saw you were a URM? There's also the CA Bar Diversity scholarship, which you should throw your hat in the ring for. http://www.calbarfoundation.org/diversi ... rship.html

Awesome, thanks for the resource! It's making me antsy to wait especially with people with lower scores getting larger scholarships than me by 15k+. I don't understand why I was given so little, and even a slight boost would push Loyola into 1st place for me. Either way, I'll def be waiting it out! :]

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”