Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Also, Loyola slid from spot 51 to 68 last year. This prompted MUCH criticism and frustration from current and future students and a spotlight from the local legal education community. Dean Gold sent out a letter acknowledging the drop, while highlighting other accomplishments, and pledging that the school will do better. I like to think he will follow through. Reducing class size and keeping the medians up, I think, is the most likely way to accomplish that goal.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:06 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote: Oh, and I wouldn't worry about YP. There was no evidence to support speculation that Loyola has done this in recent years.


This is credited. Stella, you're more likely than not in with $$$. I believe there was someone last year with a one point higher LSAT and IIRC the same GPA and got a full ride.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:10 pm

xoGossipGirl wrote:
Hey now, anyone who gets a YP from any law school has bragging rights forever. Like, "I was so strong of a candidate that I scared the school I applied to.". If my decision was a YP I would frame that and hang it
on my mantle forever


Nah man. It's pretty terrible actually. You lose out on the option of attending a school for cheap. If you're above both 75th percentiles, you should be offered a full ride or close to it. Instead, you're stuck on the waiTTTTlist. You can't even use the offer for scholly negotiations. Plus, if you really wanted to attend the school, they make it harder for you. For a school like Hastings, if they YP you and put you on the waitlist, if they decide to offer you admission, they give you THREE whole days to decide on the spot. That is really lame.

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby yeslekkkk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:13 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:Also, Loyola slid from spot 51 to 68 last year. This prompted MUCH criticism and frustration from current and future students and a spotlight from the local legal education community. Dean Gold sent out a letter acknowledging the drop, while highlighting other accomplishments, and pledging that the school will do better. I like to think he will follow through. Reducing class size and keeping the medians up, I think, is the most likely way to accomplish that goal.


No matter what the ranking is (51 or 68), Loyola's employment scores are what students should really be upset about.

xoGossipGirl
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby xoGossipGirl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:26 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
xoGossipGirl wrote:
Hey now, anyone who gets a YP from any law school has bragging rights forever. Like, "I was so strong of a candidate that I scared the school I applied to.". If my decision was a YP I would frame that and hang it
on my mantle forever


Nah man. It's pretty terrible actually. You lose out on the option of attending a school for cheap. If you're above both 75th percentiles, you should be offered a full ride or close to it. Instead, you're stuck on the waiTTTTlist. You can't even use the offer for scholly negotiations. Plus, if you really wanted to attend the school, they make it harder for you. For a school like Hastings, if they YP you and put you on the waitlist, if they decide to offer you admission, they give you THREE whole days to decide on the spot. That is really lame.



Woahhhh, I didn't realize that some schools frequently utilize this YP; it sounded like it was some rare badge of honor. Also, I didn't know that it's technically a WL...I thought if a student gets YP'd they could just call and say "Oh no, I was actually seriously considering you guys" and they'd be in with a full scholly! Haha, had no idea- that's awful.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:29 pm

xoGossipGirl wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
xoGossipGirl wrote:
Hey now, anyone who gets a YP from any law school has bragging rights forever. Like, "I was so strong of a candidate that I scared the school I applied to.". If my decision was a YP I would frame that and hang it
on my mantle forever


Nah man. It's pretty terrible actually. You lose out on the option of attending a school for cheap. If you're above both 75th percentiles, you should be offered a full ride or close to it. Instead, you're stuck on the waiTTTTlist. You can't even use the offer for scholly negotiations. Plus, if you really wanted to attend the school, they make it harder for you. For a school like Hastings, if they YP you and put you on the waitlist, if they decide to offer you admission, they give you THREE whole days to decide on the spot. That is really lame.



Woahhhh, I didn't realize that some schools frequently utilize this YP; it sounded like it was some rare badge of honor. Also, I didn't know that it's technically a WL...I thought if a student gets YP'd they could just call and say "Oh no, I was actually seriously considering you guys" and they'd be in with a full scholly! Haha, had no idea- that's awful.


Some schools utilize it more than others. Loyola isn't one of them. As the 1L said earlier, they splashed the cash last year. In the Cornell thread, those people who were way above their median #s all were "invited" to interviews before they were accepted whereas the people at median (who were accepted) weren't.

Before I cause panic, this is speculation. I've personally seen no hard evidence. It's possible that someone with high #s has shitty softs or bad LORs/PSs. However, I think it's a plausible theory because it doesn't make sense when someone with high #s get into HYS and gets waitlisted at Penn.

Although it's possible that sometimes, some schools just don't like you and some do. :D

xoGossipGirl
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby xoGossipGirl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:21 pm

Admitted via snail mail today!! My decision was "rendered" 1/24 via status checker; no email; but the package arrive exactly seven days later! I am a reverse splitter and pretty ecstatic about my admittance; for those with similar numbers I urge you to keep your chin up :mrgreen:

PS: No $cholly for me but I expected that

User avatar
JNE
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby JNE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Admitted via snail mail today!

AndiDail
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby AndiDail » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:42 pm

Admitted; no scholarship money and already denied for the public interest scholars program.

Yeah, no thank you.

User avatar
Snowboarder1588
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:46 pm

Congrats to you guys getting admitted! How did your status checker change? Or did you randomly receive your admission in the mail?

User avatar
JNE
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby JNE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:07 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Congrats to you guys getting admitted! How did your status checker change? Or did you randomly receive your admission in the mail?


Status checker changed to 1/24 and then Decision Rendered popped up later on Sunday night. Didn't get any e-mail notification whatsoever. I had to wait for snail mail.

xoGossipGirl
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby xoGossipGirl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:51 pm

JNE wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:Congrats to you guys getting admitted! How did your status checker change? Or did you randomly receive your admission in the mail?


Status checker changed to 1/24 and then Decision Rendered popped up later on Sunday night. Didn't get any e-mail notification whatsoever. I had to wait for snail mail.



same story for me^^^

zienhal
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby zienhal » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:31 am

Decision rendered today (1/31). No email yet. Nothing via snail mail. C'mon Loyola!!

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby eliztudorr » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:40 am

congratz to all the new admits :)

my decision was rendered 1/28...so any day now ><" no email yet.

countmein
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby countmein » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:24 am

Have any PT applicants heard back from LLS yet?

User avatar
Snowboarder1588
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 am

countmein wrote:Have any PT applicants heard back from LLS yet?


I'm wondering the same thing. I applied PT and I've not heard anything.

Stella77
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Stella77 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:32 pm

In today via snail mail with mid-scholly. Decision Rendered 1/31


Well yesterday but I checked the mail today..

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby eliztudorr » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:31 pm

in via snail mail!!!

Timeline: 11/19 sent, 12/3 status checker, 1/8 complete, decision rendered 1/28.

no scholly but expected that. just glad im IN.

Ally Mcbeal
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Ally Mcbeal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Decision rendered today!!! Should I assume the decision will come via snail mail? Because the status checker said an email within 2 business days

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:43 pm

In. $96,000 with top 50% stip.

ec24
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ec24 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:50 pm

Got my acceptance a few weeks ago, $90k scholly. I found Loyola to be pretty slow with this sent I sent my app at the end of November.

User avatar
Snowboarder1588
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:57 pm

ec24 wrote:Got my acceptance a few weeks ago, $90k scholly. I found Loyola to be pretty slow with this sent I sent my app at the end of November.



Congrats but I can't help it but LOL at the end of November comment..I'm still waiting and I submitted at the beginning of October!

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby eliztudorr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:Decision rendered today!!! Should I assume the decision will come via snail mail? Because the status checker said an email within 2 business days



Yea don't listen to what the msg said. Never got anything. Snail mail seem to be what's going on lately.

Congratz to those who got in :) anyone decided that they will be attending loyola??
Last edited by eliztudorr on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby eliztudorr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:
ec24 wrote:Got my acceptance a few weeks ago, $90k scholly. I found Loyola to be pretty slow with this sent I sent my app at the end of November.



Congrats but I can't help it but LOL at the end of November comment..I'm still waiting and I submitted at the beginning of October!



Hmmm u seem to be waiting for an extremely long time since u started the thread. Did u ever receive a status checker??

User avatar
krispymenudo
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Loyola Law School C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby krispymenudo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:59 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
Ally Mcbeal wrote:Decision rendered today!!! Should I assume the decision will come via snail mail? Because the status checker said an email within 2 business days



Yea don't listen to what the msg said. Never got anything. Snail mail seem to be what's going on lately.

Congratz to those who got in :) anyone decided that the will be attending loyola??



Come to think of it, I never got an email either. My status changed on the checker a day or two after I got my acceptance letter in the mail. They're kind of all over the place it seems, at least you know it's coming. I thought it was just going to be a view book or something when I saw it sitting on my porch a haha




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CaptKangaroo, Christinabruin, Specter1389 and 10 guests