USD c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's the worst thing about Oklahoma?

3.2% beer
7
20%
mandatory 50 cent ante on every hand of blackjack
7
20%
the musical
4
11%
Oklahomans
9
26%
3.2% beer
8
23%
 
Total votes: 35

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby yeslekkkk » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:50 pm

dd235 wrote:
dd235 wrote:Thanks for the heads up!

How much earlier? (I don't have the offer in front of me)

I was under the impression that it was April 1st.


Ya it is April 1st...

"...To confirm your intent to accept this scholarship and confirm your enrollment, it will be necessary for you to furnish us with a non-refundable tuition deposit in the amount of $300 by April 1, 2014. An additional non-refundable deposit of $400 will be due by June 2, 2014. All deposits will be applied to your first semester tuition at registration."


The deadline for the deposit is April 30 or something like that, but to keep the scholarship, it's April 1.

jstellini
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby jstellini » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:46 am

Anyone know when the next batch of decisions should come out. Went complete on 11/20 and still nothing!

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:19 pm

1st seat deposit for scholarships is April 1... Do you think they would be willing to push back that date if I ask? I still haven't heard back from a few schools and want to start negotiating scholarships with schools but April is rapidly approaching.

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby yeslekkkk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 pm

bkegslounge wrote:1st seat deposit for scholarships is April 1... Do you think they would be willing to push back that date if I ask? I still haven't heard back from a few schools and want to start negotiating scholarships with schools but April is rapidly approaching.


I got them to push it back a week. Not much, but it helps.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:1st seat deposit for scholarships is April 1... Do you think they would be willing to push back that date if I ask? I still haven't heard back from a few schools and want to start negotiating scholarships with schools but April is rapidly approaching.


I got them to push it back a week. Not much, but it helps.


Everyone else is either April 15 or 30 seat deposit deadlines so that extra week would definitely help. Mind sharing what you wrote?

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby yeslekkkk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:42 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:1st seat deposit for scholarships is April 1... Do you think they would be willing to push back that date if I ask? I still haven't heard back from a few schools and want to start negotiating scholarships with schools but April is rapidly approaching.


I got them to push it back a week. Not much, but it helps.


Everyone else is either April 15 or 30 seat deposit deadlines so that extra week would definitely help. Mind sharing what you wrote?


I simply wrote that I was very interested in USD law and that I need more time to weigh all my options. I asked for an extra two weeks. That was it. Nothing too complicated.

Edit: Mind you, I only got a week, but hey. It's better than nothing. I'll know a lot more even in the span of that extra week.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:46 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:1st seat deposit for scholarships is April 1... Do you think they would be willing to push back that date if I ask? I still haven't heard back from a few schools and want to start negotiating scholarships with schools but April is rapidly approaching.


I got them to push it back a week. Not much, but it helps.


Everyone else is either April 15 or 30 seat deposit deadlines so that extra week would definitely help. Mind sharing what you wrote?


I simply wrote that I was very interested in USD law and that I need more time to weigh all my options. I asked for an extra two weeks. That was it. Nothing too complicated.

Edit: Mind you, I only got a week, but hey. It's better than nothing. I'll know a lot more even in the span of that extra week.


Awesome thanks!

paayter
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby paayter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:17 am

is anyone else concerned about san diego's enourmous drop from 68 to 79?

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 am

paayter wrote:is anyone else concerned about san diego's enourmous drop from 68 to 79?


Yes, I am. While US News rankings shouldn't be taken seriously, I would like to know what accounts for the drop.

paayter
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby paayter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:31 am

yeslekkkk wrote:
paayter wrote:is anyone else concerned about san diego's enourmous drop from 68 to 79?


Yes, I am. While US News rankings shouldn't be taken seriously, I would like to know what accounts for the drop.



well apparently most california schools have dropped in rankings with that exception of stanford, ucla, and davis. i attended a loyola webinar today and the dean was asked a few questions, and of course the ranking issue came up. he basically stated that the employment data used this year was based off the 2012 stats. and that the 2013 employment stats would be used for next years in which he said there was a 6 percent growth. im guessing san diego's drop and every california school that dropped, their problem was employment percentages. hastings and loyola 2 of the largest law schools are scaling back on class size to remedy this. not sure exactly what san diego's excuse is...but san diego was one of my top choices in cali to now im wondering if i should attend pepperdine which gained spots, but i cant see how it fares any better on employment than any of the other la schools.

im really thinking i need to go out of state and leave california, im becoming disillusioned with how expensive things are in the state. especially schools like san diego thinking its ok to charge the same price as say ucla, usc, stanford, berkley. we will see though.

underwear
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby underwear » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:02 am

paayter wrote:im really thinking i need to go out of state and leave california, im becoming disillusioned with how expensive things are in the state.

I'm on the same boat. Right now, I'm leaning towards leaving.

There are a few states that imho socially resemble California and yet are substantially cheaper in tuition and generally everything else. It's egregious that paying out of state tuition rates in some other state is cheaper than paying in-state rates as a Californian. Of course this means I most likely wont be returning to CA for work, but I think way cheaper tuition, better job placement, and depending on the state, no income tax, is a better outcome.

Of course, things may rebound in California in the next three years. That rebound sure as hell better be a big one though. Either case, if you're SOL in scholarships, you'll be sitting on a big debt.

w7ldcard
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby w7ldcard » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:07 am

paayter wrote:is anyone else concerned about san diego's enourmous drop from 68 to 79?


It definitely pushes me away given 68th was already pretty bad

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby dd235 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:10 pm

I am not too concerned with the drop in the rankings.

I think that the abysmal employment numbers are to blame for the drop. The numbers are indefensible, but obviously a little unrepresentative. First, the rankings (as most of you probably already know) are using the statistics from the class of 2012. The only employment numbers I care about are those from the class of 2017 which are 5 years from the ones they are using in the rankings. Second, the class of 2012 had 327 graduates. This was at a time when law schools (all law schools) were matriculating more students than the legal job market could handle. The legal market has shown slight signs of recovery, and I think that class of 2013 employment numbers will be slightly better than that for the class of 2012 (even though c/o 2013 has 330 students -- an all time high for USD if I am not mistaken). I talked to a higher up at USD and they are planning on matriculating about 210-220 students for the c/o 2017 which I think is a great thing.

There are two schools of thought about reducing a class size. Some think that the percent of students employed in full-time JD required jobs will remain the same (i.e. c/o 2012 had 154/327 = 47% in JD required jobs, therefore c/o 2017 will have 103/220 = 47% in JD required jobs). I completely disagree with this school of thought. It makes sense for big law who have class-rank cutoffs, but this is only a small minority of the jobs that USD grads get. So, while I think big law employment at USD will remain at a stagnant 5-10% of the class, I think that JD required non-big law jobs will remain at the same number, if not even increase. Most USD grads get jobs from networking with San Diego lawyers and I don’t think that San Diego firms will be reducing their hiring too much by 2017. (Of course, there will be an influx of unemployed grads from previous years competing for these jobs, but there will also be a lot of baby boomers retiring too. Although I think the unemployed grads will outweigh the retirees, I don’t think it will be overwhelming). So even if there are, say 140 grads employed in JD required jobs for the c/o 2017 (which would be a decrease in the number of grads for c/o 2012 which many think to be the bottom of the recession) that would mean 140/220 = 64% employment score which is better than that of Davis right now who went up in the rankings. I know that this is optimistic, but it really doesn’t seem improbable at all to me.

Third (to continue the my thoughts in the first paragraph), I think that measuring employment at 9 months after graduation for schools in the second-tier and beyond is a bit unrepresentative of their potential. USD, unfortunately, does not have a stellar bar-passage rate and this greatly limits their employment numbers. For the c/o 2012, only 78% of students passed the July California bar. This means that assuming all grads took the California bar (which for obvious reasons is not true. Some don’t feel ready and postpone till February and others take bar exams for other states) only 255 grads were even eligible for JD required jobs 9 months after graduation (.78*327). When using this figure, that would mean that 60% (154/255) of grads from the c/o 2012 who were eligible for JD required full-time jobs got one. I know that 60% is still pretty shitty, but it is much better than 47%. It is also true that a 78% bar passage rate is inexcusable, but I know that many schools are taking huge steps towards providing bar prep courses and increasing their bar passage rate.

Anyways, I am sorry for such a long post, but it is for these reasons that I am not too concerned about the drop in the rankings. I know that I make a lot of “leaps” in my logic to come to the conclusions I do, and I would welcome any criticism and debate on the issue.

xtinesung
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby xtinesung » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:39 pm

jstellini wrote:Anyone know when the next batch of decisions should come out. Went complete on 11/20 and still nothing!


Im still waiting too! Went complete on 1/6. Let us know if you hear anything :D Good luck!

BTW, does anyone know whether there's a "Application In Review" status, or anything between "Application Received - File Complete" and "Decision Rendered" (on status checker)?

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby yeslekkkk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:49 pm

USD denied my scholarship increase request. I'm sitting on a better offer to a higher ranked school but nope! Coupled with the lst score and us new ranking, it very unlikely I'll be depositing there. Too bad. I love San Diego.

cwipes
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby cwipes » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:02 am

anyone here going to the admitted students/alumni event in LA on the 18th? hoping there will be a good turnout

rodmanhust
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby rodmanhust » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:34 am

dd235 wrote:I am not too concerned with the drop in the rankings.

I think that the abysmal employment numbers are to blame for the drop. The numbers are indefensible, but obviously a little unrepresentative. First, the rankings (as most of you probably already know) are using the statistics from the class of 2012. The only employment numbers I care about are those from the class of 2017 which are 5 years from the ones they are using in the rankings. Second, the class of 2012 had 327 graduates. This was at a time when law schools (all law schools) were matriculating more students than the legal job market could handle. The legal market has shown slight signs of recovery, and I think that class of 2013 employment numbers will be slightly better than that for the class of 2012 (even though c/o 2013 has 330 students -- an all time high for USD if I am not mistaken). I talked to a higher up at USD and they are planning on matriculating about 210-220 students for the c/o 2017 which I think is a great thing.

There are two schools of thought about reducing a class size. Some think that the percent of students employed in full-time JD required jobs will remain the same (i.e. c/o 2012 had 154/327 = 47% in JD required jobs, therefore c/o 2017 will have 103/220 = 47% in JD required jobs). I completely disagree with this school of thought. It makes sense for big law who have class-rank cutoffs, but this is only a small minority of the jobs that USD grads get. So, while I think big law employment at USD will remain at a stagnant 5-10% of the class, I think that JD required non-big law jobs will remain at the same number, if not even increase. Most USD grads get jobs from networking with San Diego lawyers and I don’t think that San Diego firms will be reducing their hiring too much by 2017. (Of course, there will be an influx of unemployed grads from previous years competing for these jobs, but there will also be a lot of baby boomers retiring too. Although I think the unemployed grads will outweigh the retirees, I don’t think it will be overwhelming). So even if there are, say 140 grads employed in JD required jobs for the c/o 2017 (which would be a decrease in the number of grads for c/o 2012 which many think to be the bottom of the recession) that would mean 140/220 = 64% employment score which is better than that of Davis right now who went up in the rankings. I know that this is optimistic, but it really doesn’t seem improbable at all to me.

Third (to continue the my thoughts in the first paragraph), I think that measuring employment at 9 months after graduation for schools in the second-tier and beyond is a bit unrepresentative of their potential. USD, unfortunately, does not have a stellar bar-passage rate and this greatly limits their employment numbers. For the c/o 2012, only 78% of students passed the July California bar. This means that assuming all grads took the California bar (which for obvious reasons is not true. Some don’t feel ready and postpone till February and others take bar exams for other states) only 255 grads were even eligible for JD required jobs 9 months after graduation (.78*327). When using this figure, that would mean that 60% (154/255) of grads from the c/o 2012 who were eligible for JD required full-time jobs got one. I know that 60% is still pretty shitty, but it is much better than 47%. It is also true that a 78% bar passage rate is inexcusable, but I know that many schools are taking huge steps towards providing bar prep courses and increasing their bar passage rate.

Anyways, I am sorry for such a long post, but it is for these reasons that I am not too concerned about the drop in the rankings. I know that I make a lot of “leaps” in my logic to come to the conclusions I do, and I would welcome any criticism and debate on the issue.


Good analysis.
re your first point, though, wouldn't that be true for virtually every school in U.S.? if so, it doesn't explain the drop in ranking.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:43 pm

cwipes wrote:anyone here going to the admitted students/alumni event in LA on the 18th? hoping there will be a good turnout


I am. Although I just got an email yesterday confirming my attendance to the event in Irvine on the 17th even though I RSVP'd for the LA event on the 18th. I emailed them but I'm afraid it'll get lost in the general admission's inbox. I'll probably call later if I haven't heard.

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby dd235 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:04 pm

rodmanhust wrote:Good analysis.
re your first point, though, wouldn't that be true for virtually every school in U.S.? if so, it doesn't explain the drop in ranking.


Ya the first point definitely applies to all law schools. Thats why I don’t put too much weight on the rankings. I do think that they are an effective “snapshot,” but should definitely be used with caution.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is how regional USD is. Comparing it nationally to some school across the nation is pretty useless. I think it is much more effective to compare it to other California schools (like I think most of us do). Seeing big drops compared to other non-California regional schools doesn’t scare me nearly as much as seeing bigger drops relative to other California schools.

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby dd235 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 pm

On a lighter note, I just got an invitation to joint the c/o 2017 Facebook group.

It was in my spam folder so check there if you didn’t get one yet.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:25 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:1st seat deposit for scholarships is April 1... Do you think they would be willing to push back that date if I ask? I still haven't heard back from a few schools and want to start negotiating scholarships with schools but April is rapidly approaching.


I got them to push it back a week. Not much, but it helps.


Everyone else is either April 15 or 30 seat deposit deadlines so that extra week would definitely help. Mind sharing what you wrote?


I simply wrote that I was very interested in USD law and that I need more time to weigh all my options. I asked for an extra two weeks. That was it. Nothing too complicated.

Edit: Mind you, I only got a week, but hey. It's better than nothing. I'll know a lot more even in the span of that extra week.



Emailed Jorge Garcia. He also gave me a 1 week extension.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Anyone going to the LA Reception event at 6pm today? Not looking forward to that drive downtown in rush hour...

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby dd235 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:33 pm

http://www.sandiego.edu/law/careers/stu ... a-2013.php

And the results are in!!!

They are looking much better than last year... Full-time JD required jobs are up over 6% and Big Law (100+ Firms) are up nearly 3%.
Only substantial drop was clerkships.... but hey I’ll take it.

I made this chart to compare some of the key metrics from the past 3 years
http://s18.postimg.org/z90bohv8p/Screen ... _52_PM.png

User avatar
Snowboarder1588
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:10 am

dd235 wrote:http://www.sandiego.edu/law/careers/students/employment-data/usd-law-employment-data-2013.php

And the results are in!!!

They are looking much better than last year... Full-time JD required jobs are up over 6% and Big Law (100+ Firms) are up nearly 3%.
Only substantial drop was clerkships.... but hey I’ll take it.

I made this chart to compare some of the key metrics from the past 3 years
http://s18.postimg.org/z90bohv8p/Screen ... _52_PM.png



Be careful when analyzing this, because they (law schools) deceive us very well. their Full Time JD required permanent jobs are actually only about 53% of the total class. the 66% figure is a percentage of the number of graduates who reported.

almostthere1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby almostthere1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:15 am

In with small scholarship :) hoping for more but happy to be accepted. Applied early January. Low stips but a bit bummed after hearing all of these 30k+schollys going out, congrats to those of you who brought those in! Right now WUSTL, University of Denver, USD, and UC Irvine are my top four.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A Lutt, asuddenarborealstop, dannyswo, mse2020 and 20 guests