USD c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's the worst thing about Oklahoma?

3.2% beer
7
20%
mandatory 50 cent ante on every hand of blackjack
7
20%
the musical
4
11%
Oklahomans
9
26%
3.2% beer
8
23%
 
Total votes: 35

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:50 pm

aco227 wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:I need some advice on this... So Loyola just increased my scholarship amount which is now more than what USD is offering. Should I update Dean Garcia with this since he turned down my initial request for more $ which included the old offer from Loyola? What's the best way to approach this so I don't sound like I'm trying to get USD and Loyola in a bidding war? Thanks



I'm kinda in the same boat, Loyola just increased my offer as well by 2k/year. My Loyola offer was already greater than USD's offer, but Garcia did give me an additional 4k from the Alumni Scholarship Fund (or something like that) for my first year. I'll probably e-mail him back tomorrow with the update, and see what happens. At this point, USD is offering me 70k with Loyola offering me 84k. I told Garcia that I want to go to USD, so here's to hoping we both get a few more bucks.

I'm pretty sure he got bombarded with emails yesterday after the Loyola bump. I personally know a handful of people in the same boat plus those on TLS. I'd say Loyola is their biggest rival in terms of competing for students. Loyola gave the same increase I think to every admitted student with stats at or just above their medians. In Garcia's response to my first email he said he didn't have the funds to make that kind of across the board increase so I really hope this pushes him to do so.

Good luck to you too. Update us if Garcia responds to anyone about this Loyola bump. Very interested to hear how he approaches it. I will update too when he responds to my request.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:43 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
aco227 wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:I need some advice on this... So Loyola just increased my scholarship amount which is now more than what USD is offering. Should I update Dean Garcia with this since he turned down my initial request for more $ which included the old offer from Loyola? What's the best way to approach this so I don't sound like I'm trying to get USD and Loyola in a bidding war? Thanks



I'm kinda in the same boat, Loyola just increased my offer as well by 2k/year. My Loyola offer was already greater than USD's offer, but Garcia did give me an additional 4k from the Alumni Scholarship Fund (or something like that) for my first year. I'll probably e-mail him back tomorrow with the update, and see what happens. At this point, USD is offering me 70k with Loyola offering me 84k. I told Garcia that I want to go to USD, so here's to hoping we both get a few more bucks.

I'm pretty sure he got bombarded with emails yesterday after the Loyola bump. I personally know a handful of people in the same boat plus those on TLS. I'd say Loyola is their biggest rival in terms of competing for students. Loyola gave the same increase I think to every admitted student with stats at or just above their medians. In Garcia's response to my first email he said he didn't have the funds to make that kind of across the board increase so I really hope this pushes him to do so.

Good luck to you too. Update us if Garcia responds to anyone about this Loyola bump. Very interested to hear how he approaches it. I will update too when he responds to my request.


Update: he matched the Loyola offer. Gave me an extra $7k from the alumni fund. Brings the total up to $106k! Very pleased.

aco227
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby aco227 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Received an updated scholarship offer today with an additional 11k. It's looking pretty likely that I'll be here next fall.

kenzo
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby kenzo » Mon May 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Anyone know when there will be movement on the waitlist?

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby dd235 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:36 pm

aco227 wrote:Received an updated scholarship offer today with an additional 11k. It's looking pretty likely that I'll be here next fall.


Unsolicited?

aco227
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby aco227 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:41 pm

dd235 wrote:
aco227 wrote:Received an updated scholarship offer today with an additional 11k. It's looking pretty likely that I'll be here next fall.


Unsolicited?


Yes and no. I had previously (a few weeks ago) sent a negotiation e-mail to Dean Garcia and he responded with an additional 4k from the Alumni Fund (or something like that), and essentially told me there was a long waiting list this year and he was waiting until the deposit deadline to see what the yield was looking like. I also spoke to him in person at the last ASD, mostly just to say hi and to put a face behind the e-mails--and he told me there's a possibility that money would open up.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”