USD c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's the worst thing about Oklahoma?

3.2% beer
20%
mandatory 50 cent ante on every hand of blackjack
20%
the musical
11%
Oklahomans
26%
3.2% beer
23%

Total votes: 35

gratfield

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby gratfield » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:44 pm

Last edited by gratfield on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:27 am

Checking out. Good luck in San Diego everyone!

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:18 pm

It's April 1! Anyone know if they are depositing or withdrawing? I have a week extension so I'm asking for more money before I have to deposit on the 7th. Hoping there's a decent amount of money going back into the pot after today.

emitremmus

Postby emitremmus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:33 pm

bkegslounge wrote:It's April 1! Anyone know if they are depositing or withdrawing? I have a week extension so I'm asking for more money before I have to deposit on the 7th. Hoping there's a decent amount of money going back into the pot after today.

I tried this past week and couldn't get much. I did not have an extension though.

aco227

Postby aco227 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Anyone going to either of the upcoming ASD's on the 7th/25th?

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:15 pm

aco227 wrote:Anyone going to either of the upcoming ASD's on the 7th/25th?

I'm going to the 7th one

aco227

Postby aco227 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:24 pm

rodmanhust wrote:

I'm going to the 7th one

Nice. I'm thinking about checking to see if there's any spots left in that one. I'm assuming we're allowed to bring a guest (aka Mom)?

emitremmus

Postby emitremmus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:21 pm

aco227 wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:

I'm going to the 7th one

Nice. I'm thinking about checking to see if there's any spots left in that one. I'm assuming we're allowed to bring a guest (aka Mom)?

I can't make either. Would one of you be able to follow up with your ASD experience afterwards?

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:25 pm

emitremmus wrote:
aco227 wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:

I'm going to the 7th one

I can't make either. Would one of you be able to follow up with your ASD experience afterwards?

I went to ASD last week if you have questions. I assume it's going to be pretty much the same

dd235

Postby dd235 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:27 pm

I’m going on the 7th! And yes you can bring your mom... you just have to tell them you’re doing so :)

cherrytee

Postby cherrytee » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:36 am

I went to the first Admit Day as well. (3-24-2014). Then drove up San Jose same day ...

First of all, really really liked the campus and the people. I liked it so much that it'll probably cloud my judgment in deciding which is the "best" school for me, not just the most comfortable. I went to UCSD and graduated in 2013. You guys going this weekend and 25th will enjoy the day there for sure.

I'm in the same boat as some of you. Waiting to see when is the best time email the scholly negotiations. Just got in Santa Clara and Loyola so the my leverage package should be a bit better.

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:09 pm

cherrytee wrote: Waiting to see when is the best time email the scholly negotiations. Just got in Santa Clara and Loyola so the my leverage package should be a bit better.

Santa Clara and Loyola both just rejected my initial scholarship reconsideration letters. My offer from USD is better than both of those offers so I'm also trying to figure out how to leverage more out of USD. Assistant Dean Garcia seems pretty open to scholarship negotiations when he spoke at ASD financial aid discussion.

aco227

Postby aco227 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:24 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
cherrytee wrote: Waiting to see when is the best time email the scholly negotiations. Just got in Santa Clara and Loyola so the my leverage package should be a bit better.

Santa Clara and Loyola both just rejected my initial scholarship reconsideration letters. My offer from USD is better than both of those offers so I'm also trying to figure out how to leverage more out of USD. Assistant Dean Garcia seems pretty open to scholarship negotiations when he spoke at ASD financial aid discussion.

That's good to hear. A friend of mine who is currently a 1L at USD mentioned that she waited and waited until her deposit deadline drew closer (and I don't think she even contacted admissions, either), and the school eventually raised her scholarship offer. So, if anything, there's no reason NOT to wait until the end of the deadline. Make 'em beg for you!

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:34 pm

aco227 wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:

That's good to hear. A friend of mine who is currently a 1L at USD mentioned that she waited and waited until her deposit deadline drew closer (and I don't think she even contacted admissions, either), and the school eventually raised her scholarship offer. So, if anything, there's no reason NOT to wait until the end of the deadline. Make 'em beg for you!

I got an extension on my 1st seat deposit until Monday but I'm still waiting on UCI's decision. I think I'll just put down the deposit and then wait until I'm in the best position to negotiate with USD. Seat deposits aren't binding so I figure if I hint that I'm not a lock yet, they might budge.

aco227

Postby aco227 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:20 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
aco227 wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:

I got an extension on my 1st seat deposit until Monday but I'm still waiting on UCI's decision. I think I'll just put down the deposit and then wait until I'm in the best position to negotiate with USD. Seat deposits aren't binding so I figure if I hint that I'm not a lock yet, they might budge.

Is USD your top/preferred choice?

bkegslounge

Postby bkegslounge » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:34 pm

aco227 wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
aco227 wrote:That's good to hear. A friend of mine who is currently a 1L at USD mentioned that she waited and waited until her deposit deadline drew closer (and I don't think she even contacted admissions, either), and the school eventually raised her scholarship offer. So, if anything, there's no reason NOT to wait until the end of the deadline. Make 'em beg for you!

Preferred choice is UCI but that depends on if I get in / what they offer. So USD is my top choice unless UCI can trump it. No other school has given me a better offer than USD.

almostthere1

Postby almostthere1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:46 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
aco227 wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
aco227 wrote:That's good to hear. A friend of mine who is currently a 1L at USD mentioned that she waited and waited until her deposit deadline drew closer (and I don't think she even contacted admissions, either), and the school eventually raised her scholarship offer. So, if anything, there's no reason NOT to wait until the end of the deadline. Make 'em beg for you!

Preferred choice is UCI but that depends on if I get in / what they offer. So USD is my top choice unless UCI can trump it. No other school has given me a better offer than USD.

they gave me 12k/year (uci) very friendly but not much movement in negotiations

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:20 pm

I will be withdrawing now that I got into ASU. Got 22k a year so hopefully that goes into the pot for you guys

paayter

Postby paayter » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:19 pm

w7ldcard wrote:I will be withdrawing now that I got into ASU. Got 22k a year so hopefully that goes into the pot for you guys

oh man, super congrats! the only school i got rejected to. I too think I might be withdrawing from USD since they will not budge on scolly negotiations which I find terribly disappointing since they dropped 11 spots, and their bar passage rates are not even that stellar. Its a shame because I did really wan't to go, and all I wanted was an extra 5k per year. Well, I received better offers anyways from better schools.

Stella77

Postby Stella77 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:07 pm

w7ldcard wrote:I will be withdrawing now that I got into ASU. Got 22k a year so hopefully that goes into the pot for you guys

Ditto.

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:11 pm

paayter wrote:

oh man, super congrats! the only school i got rejected to. I too think I might be withdrawing from USD since they will not budge on scolly negotiations which I find terribly disappointing since they dropped 11 spots, and their bar passage rates are not even that stellar. Its a shame because I did really wan't to go, and all I wanted was an extra 5k per year. Well, I received better offers anyways from better schools.

Thanks! I love San Diego but it's not the best option.

aco227

Postby aco227 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Did anyone succeed in scholarship negotiations? If so, to whom did you address your request, and how long did it take them to process it? I'm strongly considering USD at this point, but if they threw a few more bones my way it'd be a no-brainer.

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:48 pm

aco227 wrote:Did anyone succeed in scholarship negotiations? If so, to whom did you address your request, and how long did it take them to process it? I'm strongly considering USD at this point, but if they threw a few more bones my way it'd be a no-brainer.

Dean Garcia is the one to contact.

aco227

Postby aco227 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:25 pm

rodmanhust wrote:
aco227 wrote:Did anyone succeed in scholarship negotiations? If so, to whom did you address your request, and how long did it take them to process it? I'm strongly considering USD at this point, but if they threw a few more bones my way it'd be a no-brainer.

Dean Garcia is the one to contact.

Good to hear, that's what I did. Have you been accepted/tried negotiating already?

dd235

Postby dd235 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:46 am

I really enjoyed ASD! I though Garcia did a great job at discussing the financial aid situation

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”