USD c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's the worst thing about Oklahoma?

3.2% beer
7
20%
mandatory 50 cent ante on every hand of blackjack
7
20%
the musical
4
11%
Oklahomans
9
26%
3.2% beer
8
23%
 
Total votes: 35

Tburg
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby Tburg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:41 am

USD increased my scholarship offer by $5k a year after emailing and asking.

paayter
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby paayter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:24 am

Snowboarder1588 wrote:
dd235 wrote:http://www.sandiego.edu/law/careers/students/employment-data/usd-law-employment-data-2013.php

And the results are in!!!

They are looking much better than last year... Full-time JD required jobs are up over 6% and Big Law (100+ Firms) are up nearly 3%.
Only substantial drop was clerkships.... but hey I’ll take it.

I made this chart to compare some of the key metrics from the past 3 years
http://s18.postimg.org/z90bohv8p/Screen ... _52_PM.png



Be careful when analyzing this, because they (law schools) deceive us very well. their Full Time JD required permanent jobs are actually only about 53% of the total class. the 66% figure is a percentage of the number of graduates who reported.



also what is even scarier, is 40 percent of the graduating class have law firm jobs which is technically what most of want right? i mean its safe to assume the ones that havent reported are either too embarrassed or upset that they dont have a decent job? and then out of the 40 percent who got law jobs, almost 50 percent are employed in firms size 2-10. scary, as those firms usually have the least amount of pay. please let me know if im wrong, id like san diego to have better employment numbers.

almostthere1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby almostthere1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Tburg wrote:USD increased my scholarship offer by $5k a year after emailing and asking.


Was very interested, made that clear and was shot down, had to try. 167/2.97 URM. 5k is awesome congrats, usd is great for San Diego, not that I know but just what I've gathered. Once your shot down there really isn't much more to do :( Anybody doing any events in the near future might be interested in meeting up on campus.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Tburg wrote:USD increased my scholarship offer by $5k a year after emailing and asking.

Awesome! Mind sharing your strategy (e.g. did you attach other offers)? I got an extension on my seat deposit to April 7th so I am planning on asking for more money between then and April 1st. Also, what was your original offer?

jfern
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:01 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby jfern » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Anyone else attending the ASD event this coming Monday?

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:52 pm

jfern wrote:Anyone else attending the ASD event this coming Monday?

Yup

Tburg
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby Tburg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:15 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
Tburg wrote:USD increased my scholarship offer by $5k a year after emailing and asking.

Awesome! Mind sharing your strategy (e.g. did you attach other offers)? I got an extension on my seat deposit to April 7th so I am planning on asking for more money between then and April 1st. Also, what was your original offer?



USD was offering me $22k a year plus $5k over three years. I just emailed them saying I'm interested in their school, cost of living is high, and further scholarship would help in the decision. I also attached other scholarships I have received. They replied back about a week later letting me know they've increased my yearly scholarship by $5,000 a year.

User avatar
emitremmus
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby emitremmus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Tburg wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
Tburg wrote:USD increased my scholarship offer by $5k a year after emailing and asking.

Awesome! Mind sharing your strategy (e.g. did you attach other offers)? I got an extension on my seat deposit to April 7th so I am planning on asking for more money between then and April 1st. Also, what was your original offer?



USD was offering me $22k a year plus $5k over three years. I just emailed them saying I'm interested in their school, cost of living is high, and further scholarship would help in the decision. I also attached other scholarships I have received. They replied back about a week later letting me know they've increased my yearly scholarship by $5,000 a year.



What school did you leverage them with? And did that school offer more $$$ if you don't mind me asking. I'm looking to leverage with an out-of-state school... Not sure whether this is an effective strategy though...

Tburg
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:10 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby Tburg » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:12 pm

emitremmus wrote:
Tburg wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
Tburg wrote:USD increased my scholarship offer by $5k a year after emailing and asking.

Awesome! Mind sharing your strategy (e.g. did you attach other offers)? I got an extension on my seat deposit to April 7th so I am planning on asking for more money between then and April 1st. Also, what was your original offer?



USD was offering me $22k a year plus $5k over three years. I just emailed them saying I'm interested in their school, cost of living is high, and further scholarship would help in the decision. I also attached other scholarships I have received. They replied back about a week later letting me know they've increased my yearly scholarship by $5,000 a year.



What school did you leverage them with? And did that school offer more $$$ if you don't mind me asking. I'm looking to leverage with an out-of-state school... Not sure whether this is an effective strategy though...

Pepperdine at 30k a year, Loyola Law School at 26k a year, Chapman at 47k a year.

paayter
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby paayter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Color me stupid but I was under the assumption tuition would cost around 45,600 per year at usd, but it seems as though they raised tuition to 47,1XX per year? This is crazy, first they reject my consideration for increased awards, drop in rankings, and tuition goes up? Tuition went up 4000 dollars in the last 2 years...makes me worry how much it could go up, I think USD may be a no thank you after that tuition notice. Did they provide that tuition info prior to the application cycle? Whenever I looked up the different sites they would usually have cost of attendance/tuition prices for 2013-2014. I feel as though they just updated their tuition prices for next year. Loyola also has raised to around 47k. Man attending a California tier 2 school is just looking more and more grim.

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby dd235 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:39 am

paayter wrote:
Snowboarder1588 wrote:
dd235 wrote:http://www.sandiego.edu/law/careers/students/employment-data/usd-law-employment-data-2013.php

And the results are in!!!

They are looking much better than last year... Full-time JD required jobs are up over 6% and Big Law (100+ Firms) are up nearly 3%.
Only substantial drop was clerkships.... but hey I’ll take it.

I made this chart to compare some of the key metrics from the past 3 years
http://s18.postimg.org/z90bohv8p/Screen ... _52_PM.png



Be careful when analyzing this, because they (law schools) deceive us very well. their Full Time JD required permanent jobs are actually only about 53% of the total class. the 66% figure is a percentage of the number of graduates who reported.



also what is even scarier, is 40 percent of the graduating class have law firm jobs which is technically what most of want right? i mean its safe to assume the ones that havent reported are either too embarrassed or upset that they dont have a decent job? and then out of the 40 percent who got law jobs, almost 50 percent are employed in firms size 2-10. scary, as those firms usually have the least amount of pay. please let me know if im wrong, id like san diego to have better employment numbers.


Not necessarily true. Many go in wanting clerkship, PI, or government work. That 50% in 2-10 firms is extremely disheartening though

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby dd235 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:37 am

Anyone go to ASD yesterday? I was unable to attend. What were your impressions?

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:56 am

paayter wrote:Color me stupid but I was under the assumption tuition would cost around 45,600 per year at usd, but it seems as though they raised tuition to 47,1XX per year? This is crazy, first they reject my consideration for increased awards, drop in rankings, and tuition goes up? Tuition went up 4000 dollars in the last 2 years...makes me worry how much it could go up, I think USD may be a no thank you after that tuition notice. Did they provide that tuition info prior to the application cycle? Whenever I looked up the different sites they would usually have cost of attendance/tuition prices for 2013-2014. I feel as though they just updated their tuition prices for next year. Loyola also has raised to around 47k. Man attending a California tier 2 school is just looking more and more grim.

That number includes the "hard costs" like fees you have to pay on top of tuition. The assistant dean addressed that at ASD yesterday. He said they've been really trying to keep tuition increases under 5%. This year was a 2.8% increase. Someone asked him if they will promise to freeze tuition and he straight up said he cant do that. He said any school that promises you that will either run into financial promises later on or is lying to you. So take that for what you will.

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:00 am

dd235 wrote:Anyone go to ASD yesterday? I was unable to attend. What were your impressions?

First impression: beautiful place. beautiful people.

I was really impressed and could definitely see myself going there. People seem to be genuinely happy in San Diego. And I think that translates to a calmer environment at the law school. I thought they did an excellent job at addressing concerns and making you want to attend. Feel free to ask more specific questions about it.

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby yeslekkkk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:40 am

I visited USD last week (not on their ASD). USD is good. However, I wasn't all jazzed about it. They're still just not as strong as I'd like them to be employment-wise. I love San Diego, but ehhhh. I also was not impressed by the class I visited. I went to another school this past week and was much more engaged.

I'll probably be withdrawing soon.

jfern
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:01 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby jfern » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:58 pm

I attended ASD yesterday and I found the campus very beautiful. I sat in on a mock class and the professor seemed charismatic and did a nice job at leading discussion. There were student life and career services panels, which I struggled to stay awake through but that's probably because I didn't hear anything that I hadn't heard at all the other schools I'd already visited. They served lunch, which was nice of them. There were faculty and alumni seated at each table, and the professors I got to talk to were extremely friendly and open to any questions I had. All in all, USD seemed like a nice school with a warm community. The event was well organized and I felt welcome. But I just can't see myself living in San Diego, so I'll probably be withdrawing soon.

almostthere1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby almostthere1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:11 am

Any current usd students on here?

User avatar
dd235
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:33 am

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby dd235 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Just Deposited!

Smer45
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby Smer45 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:46 pm

Finallyyy got my acceptance email today! Good luck to anyone still waiting!

w7ldcard
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby w7ldcard » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:39 pm

Got accepted. When does scholly info come in? The deposit is due in 1 day?

User avatar
bkegslounge
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby bkegslounge » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:49 pm

w7ldcard wrote:Got accepted. When does scholly info come in? The deposit is due in 1 day?

I got mine a few hours after my acceptance email. Some people got it next day. I can't image they'd give you the same deadline though... seems unfair.

w7ldcard
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby w7ldcard » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:13 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
w7ldcard wrote:Got accepted. When does scholly info come in? The deposit is due in 1 day?

I got mine a few hours after my acceptance email. Some people got it next day. I can't image they'd give you the same deadline though... seems unfair.


I guess I will.call them tomorrow if I don't receive any information today

aco227
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby aco227 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:28 pm

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Also got the acceptance e-mail today--hoping to get another e-mail this afternoon regarding a few thousand George Washingtons coming my way!

w7ldcard
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby w7ldcard » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 pm

Got scholly info, deposit isnt due until April 28th. Most likely wont be attending.

w7ldcard
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: USD c/o 2017

Postby w7ldcard » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:31 pm

Never mind I miss read my scholly info I may still attend.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”