Boston College C/O 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Marquis

Bronze

Re: Boston College C/O 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Post by Marquis » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:06 pm

Interesting article.

nodey

New

Post by nodey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks for the link, good article.. Probably a combination of WE and YP. Just have to work a little harder to change their minds.

destructosaurus

New

Post by destructosaurus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:11 pm

Is BC with a $20K/year scholarship worth it?

Marquis

Bronze

Post by Marquis » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:22 pm

destructosaurus wrote:Is BC with a $20K/year scholarship worth it?
Difficult question to answer without knowing your goals. Do you have ties to Boston and/or are you sure you want to remain in Boston/New England after graduation? My understanding is that while BC places very well in Boston it doesn't travel as well to other large markets as, say, BU might.

Kanye West

Bronze

Post by Kanye West » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:49 pm

I just recieved the prestigous Saturday Wait List Award through email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

matilda0401

New

Post by matilda0401 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Kanye West wrote:I just recieved the prestigous Saturday Wait List Award through email.
Me too! LSAT 175, GPA 3.5x, no super special softs or New England ties, applied for Public Service Scholarship.

Marquis

Bronze

Post by Marquis » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:04 pm

matilda0401 wrote:
Kanye West wrote:I just recieved the prestigous Saturday Wait List Award through email.
Me too! LSAT 175, GPA 3.5x, no super special softs or New England ties, applied for Public Service Scholarship.
Woah, that's gotta be some YP. With numbers like that enjoy T14 w/ $$$.

pauly_biegler

Bronze

Post by pauly_biegler » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:31 pm

waitlisted…a bit surprised.

lbrodsky

New

Post by lbrodsky » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:12 pm

3rd status update today, 3/22. Weird that it's on a Saturday and still says "application complete."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

glackinjp

New

Post by glackinjp » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:23 pm

lbrodsky wrote:3rd status update today, 3/22. Weird that it's on a Saturday and still says "application complete."
Got another complete date today also. Thought it was a little strange it was on a Saturday as well.

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:53 pm

Marquis wrote:
matilda0401 wrote:
Woah, that's gotta be some YP. With numbers like that enjoy T14 w/ $$$.

frank617

New

Post by frank617 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:20 pm

can someone who went to ASD give us a general overview? I was at ND ASW this weekend, and now I'm having a tough time deciding between the two

lawskewl13

New

Post by lawskewl13 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:33 pm

frank617 wrote:can someone who went to ASW give us a general overview? I was at ND ASW this weekend, and now I'm having a tough time deciding between the two
LOL, I just asked the same question on the ND thread since I was at BC this weekend and I'm also deciding between the two.

I thought they did a pretty good job overall. I would have liked for it to have been a weekend instead of a 10-3 on Saturday deal since so much of deciding to go to BC is committing to living/working in Boston for the foreseeable future. The set up didn't really allow for the attendees to get to experience the city. Other than that though, I enjoyed it. They put a LOT of emphasis on the professors and their ability to connect you with alumni in the fields you're interested in and their willingness to get to know you "outside the classroom" and really be invested in your success. They also talked about how they're adapting to the changing legal market with something called "1L Bootcamp," which seemed like kind of networking lessons you get as a 1L? Wasn't really clear to me. They also obviously talked a lot about how strong their alumni network is. I've actually been to ND before, and can say that the facilities at BC IMO were not as nice (kind of a given considering ND's new building). Newton looked pretty nice though, very quaint and somewhere that I could see myself spending 3 years. Everyone was really nice and welcoming, and you can tell that the students really love BC.

Sorry that was kind of just random tidbits about the whole thing and probably not very helpful. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM Me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marquis

Bronze

Post by Marquis » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:41 pm

lawskewl13 wrote:
frank617 wrote:can someone who went to ASW give us a general overview? I was at ND ASW this weekend, and now I'm having a tough time deciding between the two
LOL, I just asked the same question on the ND thread since I was at BC this weekend and I'm also deciding between the two.

I thought they did a pretty good job overall. I would have liked for it to have been a weekend instead of a 10-3 on Saturday deal since so much of deciding to go to BC is committing to living/working in Boston for the foreseeable future. The set up didn't really allow for the attendees to get to experience the city. Other than that though, I enjoyed it. They put a LOT of emphasis on the professors and their ability to connect you with alumni in the fields you're interested in and their willingness to get to know you "outside the classroom" and really be invested in your success. They also talked about how they're adapting to the changing legal market with something called "1L Bootcamp," which seemed like kind of networking lessons you get as a 1L? Wasn't really clear to me. They also obviously talked a lot about how strong their alumni network is. I've actually been to ND before, and can say that the facilities at BC IMO were not as nice (kind of a given considering ND's new building). Newton looked pretty nice though, very quaint and somewhere that I could see myself spending 3 years. Everyone was really nice and welcoming, and you can tell that the students really love BC.

Sorry that was kind of just random tidbits about the whole thing and probably not very helpful. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM Me.
This sounds great. I'm going to the ASD on April 3rd and am really looking forward to it!

Does anyone know what the status of BCs scholarship offers is? Are they still in the process of making them? I was accepted on 2/25, but still no word on $$$ and have received scholarship offers from both peer and higher-ranked schools. BC is my #1 choice though, so if they can make it rain I'd sign up immediately. The deadlines are rapidly approaching!

VinLi11

New

Post by VinLi11 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Marquis wrote:
lawskewl13 wrote:

This sounds great. I'm going to the ASD on April 3rd and am really looking forward to it!

Does anyone know what the status of BCs scholarship offers is? Are they still in the process of making them? I was accepted on 2/25, but still no word on $$$ and have received scholarship offers from both peer and higher-ranked schools. BC is my #1 choice though, so if they can make it rain I'd sign up immediately. The deadlines are rapidly approaching!
I was also at the ASD yesterday and I would like to +1 everything that was said about it. They also mentioned that BCs financial aid web portal (or something like that) is currently being updated, and thus they have been slow to hand out financial aid information. They hope to have it up within a week or so.

The main points I gathered from the ASD
1) Students are happy
2) Everyone is willing to help you get where you want to get. This includes career services, professors, alumni, classmates etc.
3) If you want to end up in northeast (as far south as D.C.), BC is a good choice. If not, you might want to consider other options.

Personally, I think the school's environment and the city are both great fits for me and I'm going to end up there.

Marquis

Bronze

Post by Marquis » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 pm

VinLi11 wrote:
Marquis wrote:
lawskewl13 wrote:

I was also at the ASD yesterday and I would like to +1 everything that was said about it. They also mentioned that BCs financial aid web portal (or something like that) is currently being updated, and thus they have been slow to hand out financial aid information. They hope to have it up within a week or so.

1) Students are happy
2) Everyone is willing to help you get where you want to get. This includes career services, professors, alumni, classmates etc.
3) If you want to end up in northeast (as far south as D.C.), BC is a good choice. If not, you might want to consider other options.

Personally, I think the school's environment and the city are both great fits for me and I'm going to end up there.
That is pretty much exactly what I want to hear!

femmefatale

Bronze

Post by femmefatale » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 pm

VinLi11 wrote:
Marquis wrote:
lawskewl13 wrote:

1) Students are happy

Thanks for sharing! I had the opportunity to visit and meet with several BC Law students a few years ago, but will be unable to attend the April 3rd ASW. For this reason, it's good to receive this feedback.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

komoro

New

Post by komoro » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:12 am

Not a single movement since 1/30 <- First complete
Anyone on the same boat?

havermayer

New

Post by havermayer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:25 pm

komoro wrote:Not a single movement since 1/30 <- First complete
Anyone on the same boat?
Yep. Not looking good. :(

EJL123

New

Post by EJL123 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 pm

FYI, I'll be withdrawing my acceptance w/ $$ by the end of the week to hopefully free a spot up for one of you guys. Good luck to you all!

glackinjp

New

Post by glackinjp » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:57 pm

havermayer wrote:
Anyone on the same boat?
Submitted on 1/3 with first complete on 1/21. I then didn't have any movement until a second complete on 3/22. Today (3/24) I sent in some updates to my application including some recent honor societies etc. and ironically went under review today as well. May just have been coincidence but who knows.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cfcnvm

New

Post by cfcnvm » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:16 pm

In via email!! Went under review last Friday

mydasmarie

Bronze

Post by mydasmarie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:19 pm

if I don't hear back by 4/1, I am officially ruling BC out of the list of schools to consider attending.

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am

Withdrew today and giving back my $75k scholarship. Hope it goes straight to everyone still waiting for an offer! Best of luck!

havermayer

New

Post by havermayer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:52 am

glackinjp wrote:
havermayer wrote:
Anyone on the same boat?
Submitted on 1/3 with first complete on 1/21. I then didn't have any movement until a second complete on 3/22. Today (3/24) I sent in some updates to my application including some recent honor societies etc. and ironically went under review today as well. May just have been coincidence but who knows.
Status still says complete, but date changed this morning. Don't know why but I'm expecting a ding.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”