University of Arizona C/O 2017 (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keviiiiiiiiiiiin

Re: University of Arizona C/O 2017 (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:14 pm

thisislife49 wrote:
Austinbound wrote:
thisislife49 wrote:
jsanner2 wrote:Thanks all, that seems very encouraging. When is the deposit date? I'm wondering if they'll get back to me soon enough.

Also, for anyone living in Tucson, how's the cost/quality of living for students?

Hello! I am born and raised in Tucson and will be going to U of A. With all of that in mind, as someone mentioned, Tucson has a great cost of living. I also agree that north of Broadway is best, but I also would like to point out that the area surrounding the University isn't necessarily the best place. The costs are higher there (as to be expected), but the actual living isn't as good as you would find somewhere a bit further. You can find nicer, more affordable and safer living farther off the campus. It isn't not in a horrible section of town, but not one I would want to live in. Keep in mind though I am from here and have lived on the east side my whole life. I feel it is a totally different world then down by the U of A.

In regards to living in Tucson it is definitely a college town. It is big with a small town feel. Pretty much everyone here is a huge U of A fan. Tailgates can be really fun! 4th Avenue is right down the street from the University and it is a street full of bars and youth (for the most part). They also have some good restaurants down there (Bison Witches). University Blvd is fun too.

As you may know, it is HOT here! Very very hot. Being born and raised here, I despise this part of Tucson. People say it is not that bad because you are in the air conditioning all day--- true story, but I still hate driving in it, walking in it, etc. So, live somewhere that has a pool---- or use the University pool! Tucson has some of the best sunsets in the country. They truly are breathtaking. The mountains are beautiful and offer a lot of hiking. The Sabino Canyon area is great for hiking and allows you to take in all the nature etc.

I hope this helps some. If you have any questions feel free to message me!

I completely disagree with this. I wouldn't live anyhere other than close to campus while at the U. So you should definitely visit and get a feel for where you are the most comfortable. It's a personal preference thing.

Were you raised here? I did point out..."Keep in mind though I am from here and have lived on the east side my whole life." So, obviously I am biased in that area. It definitely is a personal preference and what you are used to!

With the streets here (no freeways, potholes, traffic lights aren't synchronized), living far from campus is a pain in the ass. Makes it harder to attend the social events like trivia night, intramurals, bar review, etc., if you care about that at all. Also, you'll probably get stuck with a couple shitty scheduled classes (For me, both semesters had one class on Friday at 9 am), and you don't want a long commute just to go to school for an hour. Just a bit north of campus has pretty decent houses to split with other people and there are plenty of apartments <5 mi away.

apetro

Postby apetro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

jsanner2 wrote:The admissions folks seem pretty on the ball! Application complete to Committee review in two days.

I don't know...I've been complete since 2/14, no review, no nothing. Could be a bad sign....?

jsanner2

Postby jsanner2 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:11 am

apetro wrote:
jsanner2 wrote:The admissions folks seem pretty on the ball! Application complete to Committee review in two days.

I don't know...I've been complete since 2/14, no review, no nothing. Could be a bad sign....?

No clue. Might depend on your numbers? I'm a splitter and I applied late in the cycle.

thisislife49

Postby thisislife49 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:00 pm

apetro wrote:

I am unsure how the admission department works this late in the game, but here were my results:

Applied 12/10
Went in review 1/24
Decision 2/26

As some others have mentioned, you could try and contact the admissions department to get a status. I find them to be very friendly! Good luck!

stefne71087

Postby stefne71087 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:04 pm

apetro wrote:

Complete since around the same time and no review here either. I called last week and they told me it would go into review in the next few weeks. Not super helpful since seat deposits are coming up!

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:04 pm

apetro wrote:

I applied 1/10, went into review shortly after that (can't remember exact date), decision on 2/7.

apetro

Postby apetro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:12 pm

The seat deposits are what's bothering me. I've gotten into a school I'm really interested in with a good amount of scholarship money, but I want to know my options, especially with ASU and U of A considering I'm in Phoenix. At least with ASU I'm under review.

jsanner2

Postby jsanner2 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:13 pm

stefne71087 wrote:
apetro wrote:

Complete since around the same time and no review here either. I called last week and they told me it would go into review in the next few weeks. Not super helpful since seat deposits are coming up!

When I spoke to the admissions office they told me that if I received a decision after the deposit date I would receive an extension on that deadline, so no worries there.

apetro

Postby apetro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:49 pm

jsanner2 wrote:
stefne71087 wrote:
apetro wrote:

When I spoke to the admissions office they told me that if I received a decision after the deposit date I would receive an extension on that deadline, so no worries there.

Well that seems to be something that any school would do...they can't accept you after the deposit deadline and then not offer you an extension. What I'm worried about is the seat deposits for another school. IF U of A was my #1 choice, but I ended up placing my deposit elsewhere, then I wouldn't go to U of A even if I got in. I don't have $500 to throw around on multiple seat deposits.

thisislife49

Postby thisislife49 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:03 pm

I completely understand the financial situation, but you have to think about what you want and what school is the best choice. If it means losing $500 at another school then it may have to be a risk you take. Of course this is most definitely a personal decision, but I would most definitely do it to keep my options open.
Last edited by thisislife49 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 pm

apetro wrote:

Well that seems to be something that any school would do...they can't accept you after the deposit deadline and then not offer you an extension. What I'm worried about is the seat deposits for another school. IF U of A was my #1 choice, but I ended up placing my deposit elsewhere, then I wouldn't go to U of A even if I got in. I don't have $500 to throw around on multiple seat deposits.

If they are your number one choice, but you are about to put down a deposit @ #2 because you haven't heard from U of A then I would simply call and ask if either they can (a) render a decision before your deposit is due or (b) if you are accepted provide an extra $500 (whatever deposit is @ #2) in scholarship money.

Alternatively you could ask #2 for an extension.

apetro

Postby apetro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:46 pm

bandenjamin wrote:
apetro wrote:

If they are your number one choice, but you are about to put down a deposit @ #2 because you haven't heard from U of A then I would simply call and ask if either they can (a) render a decision before your deposit is due or (b) if you are accepted provide an extra $500 (whatever deposit is @ #2) in scholarship money.

Alternatively you could ask #2 for an extension.

That definitely makes sense. I was using it as a hypothetical though. ASU was my #1, I applied to U of A since it's close and they gave me a fee waiver. Just in the grand scheme of things, I don't understand why schools don't care about deposit deadlines. They potentially could lose good students that way. But I guess that's just it, some schools don't care.

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:07 pm

apetro wrote:That definitely makes sense. I was using it as a hypothetical though. ASU was my #1, I applied to U of A since it's close and they gave me a fee waiver. Just in the grand scheme of things, I don't understand why schools don't care about deposit deadlines. They potentially could lose good students that way. But I guess that's just it, some schools don't care.

I bet it has very little to do with how much they "care" and a lot to do with your gpa/lsat.

apetro

Postby apetro » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:28 pm

keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:
apetro wrote:That definitely makes sense. I was using it as a hypothetical though. ASU was my #1, I applied to U of A since it's close and they gave me a fee waiver. Just in the grand scheme of things, I don't understand why schools don't care about deposit deadlines. They potentially could lose good students that way. But I guess that's just it, some schools don't care.

I bet it has very little to do with how much they "care" and a lot to do with your gpa/lsat.

Okay well them "caring" isn't quite the right word then. It's more like, if they want you there they should let you know before other deposits are due. If they don't, or they think that they don't, or they're going to wait list, again, it would be nice to just have an update.

If I ran all the law schools I'd like to think that I would send updates when deposit time rolls around. But that's what I mean by they don't care, they don't care if they lose a potential student. Not necessarily caring about the students feelings. I agree it definitely depends on lsat/gpa.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:39 pm

apetro wrote:
keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:

Okay well them "caring" isn't quite the right word then. It's more like, if they want you there they should let you know before other deposits are due. If they don't, or they think that they don't, or they're going to wait list, again, it would be nice to just have an update.

If I ran all the law schools I'd like to think that I would send updates when deposit time rolls around. But that's what I mean by they don't care, they don't care if they lose a potential student. Not necessarily caring about the students feelings. I agree it definitely depends on lsat/gpa.

Your numbers are probably borderline for them and they are waiting to see how many people submit deposits before admitting you.

azug2azlaw

Postby azug2azlaw » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:06 pm

Has anyone recieved any more info about dinner with the dean? I thought they were supposed to send out those emails sooner than 2 days before the dinner.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:08 pm

azug2azlaw wrote:Has anyone recieved any more info about dinner with the dean? I thought they were supposed to send out those emails sooner than 2 days before the dinner.

It's at 6:30...dress is on the nicer side but I probably wouldn't go business casual or anything.

thisislife49

Postby thisislife49 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:31 pm

azug2azlaw wrote:Has anyone recieved any more info about dinner with the dean? I thought they were supposed to send out those emails sooner than 2 days before the dinner.

I also have not received any information. I'm glad 'bound' gave us some insight though! 'Bound' did you receive an email? I'll have to reach out to UA to get the address, etc.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:43 pm

thisislife49 wrote:

I also have not received any information. I'm glad 'bound' gave us some insight though! 'Bound' did you receive an email? I'll have to reach out to UA to get the address, etc.

I spoke with admissions last week who gave me the low down. I also went to it last year (I sat out a cycle) so I know what the dress is like haha. If you take Campbell all the way up past La Encantada, its in that neighborhood. But I don't know the exact address or anything. Sorry guys!

thisislife49

Postby thisislife49 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:51 pm

bound wrote:
thisislife49 wrote:

I spoke with admissions last week who gave me the low down. I also went to it last year (I sat out a cycle) so I know what the dress is like haha. If you take Campbell all the way up past La Encantada, its in that neighborhood. But I don't know the exact address or anything. Sorry guys!

Perfect, thanks for letting us know! I'll contact the admissions department tomorrow for the address!

leftfootlucy

Postby leftfootlucy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:54 pm

How dressy are you guys going for ASW?

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:42 am

leftfootlucy wrote:How dressy are you guys going for ASW?

Dress nice, but comfortable. Be wary it will probably be a little warmer than you're used to (depending on where you live). Dress in lighter clothes cause if you're from New York it will be warm

stefne71087

Postby stefne71087 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:28 pm

stefne71087 wrote:
apetro wrote:

Finally went into review 3/26...how long did it take you guys to get a decision?

thisislife49

Postby thisislife49 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:30 pm

stefne71087 wrote:
stefne71087 wrote:
apetro wrote:

Finally went into review 3/26...how long did it take you guys to get a decision?

Roughly a month, but it may be different at this time in the game.

thisislife49

Postby thisislife49 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:32 pm

So, I received the open house details late yesterday. I plan to bring my guest to the Dean's dinner, but is anyone else planning to bring their guest to the day long events on Saturday?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”