University of Arizona C/O 2017 (2013-2014 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thisislife49

Bronze

Re: University of Arizona C/O 2017 (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by thisislife49 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:47 pm

azug2azlaw wrote:
upstateboy wrote:Does anyone know where the best areas to live? Preferably near campus, any help will be much appreciated!
Anywhere north of broadway is pretty good. Check in jefferson park or sam hughes though. Very nice neighborhoods! Also I saw some people posting on here earlier about a parking pass, completely unnecessary if you live close enough to campus. I bike to campus everyday and its not bad at all. Plus, those parking passes are expensive!
Very true! Don't get one if you live close, as they are expensive. Unfortunately, I have to get one!

thisislife49

Bronze

Post by thisislife49 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:49 pm

onlyunholy wrote:
azug2azlaw wrote:
upstateboy wrote:Does anyone know where the best areas to live? Preferably near campus, any help will be much appreciated!
Anywhere north of broadway is pretty good. Check in jefferson park or sam hughes though. Very nice neighborhoods! Also I saw some people posting on here earlier about a parking pass, completely unnecessary if you live close enough to campus. I bike to campus everyday and its not bad at all. Plus, those parking passes are expensive!
Thanks for this advice. Also would love to hear from anyone familiar with the Tucson area.
I was born and raised here, went to UA ungrad and now law school there. So, like the others let me know if you have questions on things to do, food, etc.

I agree that north of Broadway is best. It really depends on what kind of living you're looking for.... nice, affordable, house, apartment, etc.

thisislife49

Bronze

Post by thisislife49 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm in the process of deciding what new computer to buy for UA. I'm debating between a regular PC and a Mac. On their website it says they are a windows based University, but they also mention you are able to get the technology you need for a Mac. Also, I am told that most students use a Mac.

What are everyone's thoughts on the two computers? Pros and cons of each? Which would you recommend?

kenzo

New

Post by kenzo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:24 pm

thisislife49 wrote:I'm in the process of deciding what new computer to buy for UA. I'm debating between a regular PC and a Mac. On their website it says they are a windows based University, but they also mention you are able to get the technology you need for a Mac. Also, I am told that most students use a Mac.

What are everyone's thoughts on the two computers? Pros and cons of each? Which would you recommend?
From past experience Macs are better equipped for school use. While they are most expensive mine is 6 years old and has been going strong. Less likely to get viruses and easier to operate programs

thisislife49

Bronze

Post by thisislife49 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am

kenzo wrote:
thisislife49 wrote:I'm in the process of deciding what new computer to buy for UA. I'm debating between a regular PC and a Mac. On their website it says they are a windows based University, but they also mention you are able to get the technology you need for a Mac. Also, I am told that most students use a Mac.

From past experience Macs are better equipped for school use. While they are most expensive mine is 6 years old and has been going strong. Less likely to get viruses and easier to operate programs
Thanks for the input! I'll check them out!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:18 pm

I second this. Macs are great. I just upgraded to a MacBook Air after 5 years. My old computer still works and I just sold it for $300. Don't let the price intimidate you. You can get good deals and they hold their value well past a PC.

thisislife49

Bronze

Post by thisislife49 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:32 pm

jrandom wrote:Will I actually receive something in the mail from UofA? I got an acceptance email about a week ago with acceptance/scholarship letters attached.

Also, the New Admit checklist they have mentions setting up a student email and getting a parking pass. Both of these things require a student ID. It says on the website that your ID/pin should be included in your acceptance letter but mine didn't have any?

I just received an email from the Law Admissions and Financial Aid department giving me my ID and pin. So, you will probably get it soon too!

spunkyjoe

New

Post by spunkyjoe » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Withdrew today best of luck all!

upstateboy

New

Post by upstateboy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:35 pm

So I am deciding between U of Arizona and U of Florida, I am troubled because US News has Florida ranked 49 and Arizona ranked 40 but Above the Law has Florida ranked 32 and Arizona not in the rankings. I was wondering what were you alls thoughts on this? I have been driving myself crazy with indecision. Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Look at LST. Also, where do you want to practice? If you want to practice in FL, go to UF. If you want to practice in AZ, go to U of A. Simple. If you don't want to practice in either, you better go to a different school.

onlyunholy

Bronze

Post by onlyunholy » Thu May 01, 2014 1:19 am

yeslekkkk wrote:Look at LST. Also, where do you want to practice? If you want to practice in FL, go to UF. If you want to practice in AZ, go to U of A. Simple. If you don't want to practice in either, you better go to a different school.
U of A does place outside of AZ. I thinks that's a pretty big statement..

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

New

Post by keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Thu May 01, 2014 1:58 am

upstateboy wrote:So I am deciding between U of Arizona and U of Florida, I am troubled because US News has Florida ranked 49 and Arizona ranked 40 but Above the Law has Florida ranked 32 and Arizona not in the rankings. I was wondering what were you alls thoughts on this? I have been driving myself crazy with indecision. Any help is appreciated, Thanks
It really depends on where you want to live. The difference between 40 and 49 on USNWR is nothing and you shouldn't make your decision based on that.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu May 01, 2014 2:00 am

onlyunholy wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:Look at LST. Also, where do you want to practice? If you want to practice in FL, go to UF. If you want to practice in AZ, go to U of A. Simple. If you don't want to practice in either, you better go to a different school.
It does place outside, not significantly, but yes. A handful are spread across the Mountain West region. It seems like a people go to Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, etc. It seems like if your heart is set on practicing in New Mexico, University of New Mexico is a great choice. However, the majority of grads stay in Arizona though. To me, it just makes sense to go to a school where you want to be if you're not going to T-14. It would be silly to go to U of A if you thought you might want to practice in Florida. I went to the Admitted Student Day, and I asked the dean about students who want to go out of state. To be honest, his answer didn't make me feel better. Over half of their alumni are in the city of Phoenix alone. If you're cool with ending up in Phoenix, okay. Personally, I know I don't want to be in Phoenix.

and what if OP really wants to be in Oregon? Probably better off at Lewis and Clark or University of Oregon. It's all about preference. The only person who can figure out what's a better school for them is the person who asked the question. It all comes down to preferences.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

onlyunholy

Bronze

Post by onlyunholy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:35 am

yeslekkkk wrote:
onlyunholy wrote:
It does place outside, not significantly, but yes. A handful are spread across the Mountain West region. It seems like a people go to Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, etc. It seems like if your heart is set on practicing in New Mexico, University of New Mexico is a great choice. However, the majority of grads stay in Arizona though. To me, it just makes sense to go to a school where you want to be if you're not going to T-14. It would be silly to go to U of A if you thought you might want to practice in Florida. I went to the Admitted Student Day, and I asked the dean about students who want to go out of state. To be honest, his answer didn't make me feel better. Over half of their alumni are in the city of Phoenix alone. If you're cool with ending up in Phoenix, okay. Personally, I know I don't want to be in Phoenix.

and what if OP really wants to be in Oregon? Probably better off at Lewis and Clark or University of Oregon. It's all about preference. The only person who can figure out what's a better school for them is the person who asked the question. It all comes down to preferences.
What about for those that don't know if they want to practice in SoCal, Vegas or maybe even Colorado? U of A places well in those areas actually - especially Vegas..

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Thu May 01, 2014 11:33 am

onlyunholy wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
onlyunholy wrote:

What about for those that don't know if they want to practice in SoCal, Vegas or maybe even Colorado? U of A places well in those areas actually - especially Vegas..

What's your definition of "well"? And you have no idea if those who work in those areas are all people with ties, returning home to their families, lateraling out after working in Phoenix a few years...etc.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu May 01, 2014 11:49 am

+1 with bound. I'm from SoCal. While University of Arizona is a great school, their CA bar passage this past year was not good. Only a handful of people go to SoCal. I don't think it's a good idea to go to University of Arizona banking on going back to SoCal and not being okay with working in Arizona.

All I said in my original post was that the person asking should go to a law school in the region they wish to work in. It's not a crazy statement. You all can do whatever you want. If you want to work in Florida and go to school in Arizona, be my guest. It doesn't matter to me.

onlyunholy

Bronze

Post by onlyunholy » Thu May 01, 2014 12:04 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:+1 with bound. I'm from SoCal. While University of Arizona is a great school, their CA bar passage this past year was not good. Only a handful of people go to SoCal. I don't think it's a good idea to go to University of Arizona banking on going back to SoCal and not being okay with working in Arizona.

All I said in my original post was that the person asking should go to a law school in the region they wish to work in. It's not a crazy statement. You all can do whatever you want. If you want to work in Florida and go to school in Arizona, be my guest. It doesn't matter to me.
To this poster and the one before -- what, then, do you recommend for those unsure where they want to end up practicing, whether that be in SoCal, Vegas, or even somewhere like Colorado?

Go to a T14+ or some similar "national" school? Apparently everything beyond T14 is "regional" sans a few outliers.. and for those without an option to go to those schools unless at sticker, what then?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 pm

onlyunholy wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:+1 with bound. I'm from SoCal. While University of Arizona is a great school, their CA bar passage this past year was not good. Only a handful of people go to SoCal. I don't think it's a good idea to go to University of Arizona banking on going back to SoCal and not being okay with working in Arizona.

To this poster and the one before -- what, then, do you recommend for those unsure where they want to end up practicing, whether that be in SoCal, Vegas, or even somewhere like Colorado?

Go to a T14+ or some similar "national" school? Apparently everything beyond T14 is "regional" sans a few outliers.. and for those without an option to go to those schools unless at sticker, what then?

I would solidify ties to those areas by working for a few years and/or moving to one of those areas and working and being involved in the legal community to ensure that I would have a job when I returned.

Take up with your issues with the legal economy, not us. We can't help that that's the way the market is right now, bro. :roll:

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu May 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Well if you don't know where you want to work and a national school is out of reach, then choose a school and go. There's a good chance you'll end up working in the region where you went to school and/or have the strongest ties. If you don't have a particular location in mind, then choose the school and region you like the most and don't look back. I personally turned down a T-14 and am going to a school in the region where I want to be. Sure, I'd love the flexibility of a T-14, but we all have particular circumstances that determine where we might want to go to school.

Like bound said, I don't make the rules.

Also, in one of my first posts, I acknowledged that Arizona sends people to CO, NV, and NM. That is not a question. It's just that you can't bank on that.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu May 01, 2014 1:15 pm

This will tell you all you need to know:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/arizona/2013/

The only state Arizona places more than 5% of its graduates is CO, and even then it barely made the cut with 5.4%. Also consider that Arizona has a small class made up of under 150 grads. So you're talking about literally ten people or so who are able to leave the state, and even among those it is questionable as to whether or not they even got LTFT JD jobs.

If you want to work in SoCal, Vegas, or anywhere other than AZ then go to schools in your desired area, retake for the T14, or don't go to law school.

Unless you're a special snowflake, of course, in which case go to Arizona for NYC big law.

onlyunholy

Bronze

Post by onlyunholy » Thu May 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Nucky wrote:This will tell you all you need to know:

The only state Arizona places more than 5% of its graduates is CO, and even then it barely made the cut with 5.4%. Also consider that Arizona has a small class made up of under 150 grads. So you're talking about literally ten people or so who are able to leave the state, and even among those it is questionable as to whether or not they even got LTFT JD jobs.

If you want to work in SoCal, Vegas, or anywhere other than AZ then go to schools in your desired area, retake for the T14, or don't go to law school.

Unless you're a special snowflake, of course, in which case go to Arizona for NYC big law.
First of all, U of A has had years of graduates, meaning there are more than 10 people that could potentially be able to assist. Although the total number of out of state alumni may be relatively small, that does not mean there aren't hundreds of people in LA/Vegas that may be able to help securing post-graduate or summer employment having graduated in years prior. Vegas has a very new law school -- where did it gets its practitioners beforehand that are now in partnership positions? Arizona, SoCal, T14, etc..

Secondly, there really is no need for the rude commentary. I'm not trying to say I am a special snowflake -- I was legitimately asking questions to those UNSURE of where they want to practice after graduation, with a couple of specific areas in mind (SoCal, Vegas, etc).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Thu May 01, 2014 4:08 pm

onlyunholy wrote:

First of all, U of A has had years of graduates, meaning there are more than 10 people that could potentially be able to assist. Although the total number of out of state alumni may be relatively small, that does not mean there aren't hundreds of people in LA/Vegas that may be able to help securing post-graduate or summer employment having graduated in years prior. Vegas has a very new law school -- where did it gets its practitioners beforehand that are now in partnership positions? Arizona, SoCal, T14, etc..

Secondly, there really is no need for the rude commentary. I'm not trying to say I am a special snowflake -- I was legitimately asking questions to those UNSURE of where they want to practice after graduation, with a couple of specific areas in mind (SoCal, Vegas, etc).

No offense, but it sounds like you are trying to justify going to UofA for your situation. If you don't like the statistics or other's advice, don't ask questions if you don't want to hear the real answers. HTH.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu May 01, 2014 4:17 pm

onlyunholy wrote:

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just kidding. Lighten up.

Why don't you decide where you want to practice and then go to school in that area, as opposed to possibly shooting yourself in the foot before the first day of class?

Every law school has alumni across the country. That doesn't mean they care to help you, and/or are in a position to help you.

onlyunholy

Bronze

Post by onlyunholy » Thu May 01, 2014 5:08 pm

Nucky wrote:
onlyunholy wrote:

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just kidding. Lighten up.

Why don't you decide where you want to practice and then go to school in that area, as opposed to possibly shooting yourself in the foot before the first day of class?

Every law school has alumni across the country. That doesn't mean they care to help you, and/or are in a position to help you.
I apologize for snapping. It's just frustrating because I don't have a clear idea of whether I'll be in Vegas or SoCal due to the practice area I'm interested in possibly not being a lucrative or fruitful option in Vegas where I am from and have family. I have work experience only in SoCal partially due to this reason.

Really I suppose I just want my cake and also a side of brownies should that be available, haha. I also fully agree with the contention that just because alumni are in the areas does not mean they would/could help.

I also guess that going to a SoCal school might be best for both SoCal or Vegas.. Better than going to school in Vegas and possibly trying for SoCal..

dr1366

New

Post by dr1366 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Status changed to "Decision Rendered" 5/1/14.

In review since 4/8/14.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”