Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Fordham2L
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:43 am

Re:MANDATORY CURVE on all 2L and 3L Classes at Fordham READ.

Postby Fordham2L » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:02 am

Hi,

I'm a current 2L at Fordham. Last week we found out that all classes (not just 1L classes) will be curved starting fall of 2014.

Why haven't you heard about it?

The administration may be waiting for deposit deadlines to pass for your class before announcing an unpopular policy.

What does that mean for you?

You've probably heard of all the 1L horror stories about The Curve. Grades seem arbitrary, you're stressing out about competeing with your classmates, everyone goes a little nuts towards exam time. That's all true, to an extent, though my classmates were great.

But after 1L, you're able to take smaller non-curved seminar classes where you can focus on learning, not on beating your classmates so you can beat the odds (quite literally) to compete with your classmates at OCI. Not anymore. All classes with over FOUR people will be curved come fall.
Why does this matter?

Because at least 70% of you will not get A's in your 1L classes (because of the curve) with a curve on all classes, you'll have less hope to improve your GPA in order to compete for jobs for your next two years. Also, as if competing with NYU and Columbia kids isn't hard enough, their GPAs will be naturally higher, because they don't have a policy like this.

We thought you deserved to know before making a decision to come to Fordham. I suggest you reach out to the school for more information before sending in your deposit. This policy WILL make it harder for you to get a job.
Last edited by Fordham2L on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Beercules
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Re:MANDATORY CURVE on all 2L and 3L Classes at Fordham READ.

Postby Beercules » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:04 am

Fordham2L wrote:Hi,

I'm a current 2L at Fordham. Last week we found out that all classes (not just 1L classes) will be curved starting fall of 2014.

Why haven't you heard about it?

The administration may be waiting for deposit deadlines to pass for your class before announcing an unpopular policy.

What does that mean for you?

You've probably heard of all the 1L horror stories about The Curve. Grades seem arbitrary, you're stressing out about competeing with your classmates, everyone goes a little nuts towards exam time. That's all true, to an extent, though my classmates were great.

But after 1L, you're able to take smaller non-curved seminar classes where you can focus on learning, not on beating your classmates so you can beat the odds (quite literally) to compete with your classmates at OCI. Not anymore. All classes with over FOUR people will be curved come fall. It's 1L year all the time. Four people work incredibly hard and turn in work the professor feels merits an A? At least 2 of you will receive grades in the B range for no reason.

Why does this matter?

Because at least 70% of you will not get A's in your 1L classes (because of the curve) with a curve on all classes, you'll have less hope to improve your GPA in order to compete for jobs for your next two years. Also, as if competing with NYU and Columbia kids isn't hard enough, their GPAs will be naturally higher, because they don't have a policy like this.

We thought you deserved to know before making a decision to come to Fordham. I suggest you reach out to the school for more information before sending in your deposit. This policy WILL make it harder for you to get a job.


Outside of this policy, how do you feel about Fordham?

I take it not well, from the tone of this post.

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: Re:MANDATORY CURVE on all 2L and 3L Classes at Fordham READ.

Postby dsamuels » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Beercules wrote:
Fordham2L wrote:Hi,

I'm a current 2L at Fordham. Last week we found out that all classes (not just 1L classes) will be curved starting fall of 2014.

Why haven't you heard about it?

The administration may be waiting for deposit deadlines to pass for your class before announcing an unpopular policy.

What does that mean for you?

You've probably heard of all the 1L horror stories about The Curve. Grades seem arbitrary, you're stressing out about competeing with your classmates, everyone goes a little nuts towards exam time. That's all true, to an extent, though my classmates were great.

But after 1L, you're able to take smaller non-curved seminar classes where you can focus on learning, not on beating your classmates so you can beat the odds (quite literally) to compete with your classmates at OCI. Not anymore. All classes with over FOUR people will be curved come fall. It's 1L year all the time. Four people work incredibly hard and turn in work the professor feels merits an A? At least 2 of you will receive grades in the B range for no reason.

Why does this matter?

Because at least 70% of you will not get A's in your 1L classes (because of the curve) with a curve on all classes, you'll have less hope to improve your GPA in order to compete for jobs for your next two years. Also, as if competing with NYU and Columbia kids isn't hard enough, their GPAs will be naturally higher, because they don't have a policy like this.

We thought you deserved to know before making a decision to come to Fordham. I suggest you reach out to the school for more information before sending in your deposit. This policy WILL make it harder for you to get a job.


Outside of this policy, how do you feel about Fordham?

I take it not well, from the tone of this post.


Yea, whats life like for a student at Fordham? The stuff the admin might not want to tell us?

Ally Mcbeal
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Ally Mcbeal » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Well thank God I dodged that bullet lol. Just withdrew 13k/yr scholly.

dreamofNYC
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby dreamofNYC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:40 pm

tmcarter_jazz wrote:Checking in. Applied 11/9 for the evening program. Currently working a few blocks away. Good luck everyone!


Same here. I am a bit scared of the workload though...

I got in with the following credentials:

LSAT: 163
LSAC GPA: 3.8
Good LORs, 6 years of work experience in private equity. Permanent resident (international student from Romania, but became a permanent resident last October).

User avatar
30-Something
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby 30-Something » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Anyone know what the evening student schedule looks like? For example, which classes are assigned for the first semester? Thanks!

gerrydawg
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:07 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby gerrydawg » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Just threw down a deposit. Overall, pretty excited. Hoping one of my 7 waitlists pans out, but if not, pretty satisfied with what Fordham can offer if I do well there.

maple22
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby maple22 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Would a visit to the school help for waitlist movement? I'll be in NYC soon and thinking of scheduling a visit with the adcomm...

User avatar
30-Something
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby 30-Something » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:55 pm

maple22 wrote:Would a visit to the school help for waitlist movement? I'll be in NYC soon and thinking of scheduling a visit with the adcomm...


Yes, visiting, and writing a subsequent LOCI in which you reference your visit, will help your WL status. Good luck!

nodey
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby nodey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:06 am

Waitlisted yesterday... Above 75th LSAT, @median GPA.

Applied first week in January.

Livinondemwaitlists
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:02 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Livinondemwaitlists » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 am

Anyone on the waitlist have any updates? No date changes since my waitlist early march...

theMasterofBiotech
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby theMasterofBiotech » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:15 am

Livinondemwaitlists wrote:Anyone on the waitlist have any updates? No date changes since my waitlist early march...


Yup same and I've sent them new materials (transcript and LOR)

mydasmarie
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby mydasmarie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:07 am

withdrew, best of luck hope one of you gets my seat

FeiLAw
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby FeiLAw » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:13 am

nodey wrote:Waitlisted yesterday... Above 75th LSAT, @median GPA.

Applied first week in January.



That is incredibly surprising, I haven't heard of anyone with at 166+ and 3.5 getting waitlisted at Fordham

nodey
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby nodey » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:57 am

Well I guess that makes me either the most flawed 166+/3.5 applicant or so highly regarded that every school feels the need YP me. Im waitlisted at BC, reserved at Cornell as well, and expecting the same from BU and Vanderbilt, so im not all that surprised.

User avatar
buffalo_
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 am

Re: Re:MANDATORY CURVE on all 2L and 3L Classes at Fordham READ.

Postby buffalo_ » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 am

Fordham2L wrote:Hi,

I'm a current 2L at Fordham. Last week we found out that all classes (not just 1L classes) will be curved starting fall of 2014.

Why haven't you heard about it?

The administration may be waiting for deposit deadlines to pass for your class before announcing an unpopular policy.

What does that mean for you?

You've probably heard of all the 1L horror stories about The Curve. Grades seem arbitrary, you're stressing out about competeing with your classmates, everyone goes a little nuts towards exam time. That's all true, to an extent, though my classmates were great.

But after 1L, you're able to take smaller non-curved seminar classes where you can focus on learning, not on beating your classmates so you can beat the odds (quite literally) to compete with your classmates at OCI. Not anymore. All classes with over FOUR people will be curved come fall.
Why does this matter?

Because at least 70% of you will not get A's in your 1L classes (because of the curve) with a curve on all classes, you'll have less hope to improve your GPA in order to compete for jobs for your next two years. Also, as if competing with NYU and Columbia kids isn't hard enough, their GPAs will be naturally higher, because they don't have a policy like this.

We thought you deserved to know before making a decision to come to Fordham. I suggest you reach out to the school for more information before sending in your deposit. This policy WILL make it harder for you to get a job.


I question this. Both CLS and NYU curve their classes. I don't know if they have official curves published, but I have heard from current students of both that their are curves in place and getting an A is very difficult. There is also documentation of their curves out there. It appears more than 31% could receive and A- or above at NYU, but an A or above is only 11%.

NYU:http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2008/12/nyus-new-grading-curve.html
Columbia: http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =3&t=25068

So I don't think it's fair to say a curve puts Fordham at a disadvantage. One could even take the alternative stance that a stricter curve will help Fordham graduates compete with NYU and CLS when interviewing, because a tougher curve makes it easier to distinguish the real top of the class, and thus these individuals are probably better off having been distanced from the pack. Whereas with a more lenient curve, there is a larger "top of the pack" but with less distinction among them. Thus employers look more suspiciously at all of the students in that group, even the truly exceptional ones, since it is harder for them to distinguish their GPA significantly.

ETA: I realize now that the CLS curve may become more lenient in 2L and 3L (NYU's is constant though), and I guess the main objection to the policy is the 2L and 3L curve. But overall I think my point stands. It will help top Fordham students distinguish themselves. And it would let mediocre 1Ls who may not have gotten an SA to build their GPA faster if they ascend to the top of the 2L class. And this policy is really mostly going to impact those without SA.

User avatar
JurisDoll
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby JurisDoll » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Has anyone from the waiting list seen any movement? Or heard back from admissions?

elle.woods8
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby elle.woods8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:36 pm

JurisDoll wrote:Has anyone from the waiting list seen any movement? Or heard back from admissions?


I went complete on 2/27 and haven't heard anything.

Smer45
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Smer45 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Finally had my first update since 2/21 last Friday 4/11. Still haven't heard anything. Anyone else see any movement??

The Outsider
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby The Outsider » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:10 pm

JurisDoll wrote:Has anyone from the waiting list seen any movement? Or heard back from admissions?






When were you wait-listed? I was wait-listed early March and haven't heard anything yet either. Tomorrow is the first deposit deadline. I am guessing movements will start taking place later this week......

kellyb4
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:03 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kellyb4 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:47 pm

On Twitter, Kathryn Espiritu said they will start making offers off the wait list after tomorrow.. But i was wait listed in December and still haven't in had any movement... People have had date changes??

FeiLAw
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby FeiLAw » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:48 pm

kellyb4 wrote:On Twitter, Kathryn Espiritu said they will start making offers off the wait list after tomorrow.. But i was wait listed in December and still haven't in had any movement... People have had date changes??


Thats interesting but I still have not been waitlisted. I hope they atleast tell me if i am going to be waitlisted before they start making decisions on the waaitlist candidates. (I am assuming im going to be waitlisted, 163 and 3.2

User avatar
JurisDoll
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby JurisDoll » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:58 pm

The Outsider wrote:
JurisDoll wrote:Has anyone from the waiting list seen any movement? Or heard back from admissions?






When were you wait-listed? I was wait-listed early March and haven't heard anything yet either. Tomorrow is the first deposit deadline. I am guessing movements will start taking place later this week......


I was wait listed first week of Jan and had a date change in early March and a recent date change in April. I'm hoping offers from the wait list start this week because I'm becoming anxious. I've already made a deposit at BC but I'll withdraw if I'm offered admissions at Fordham.

User avatar
chipotle123
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby chipotle123 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 pm

JurisDoll wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
JurisDoll wrote:Has anyone from the waiting list seen any movement? Or heard back from admissions?






When were you wait-listed? I was wait-listed early March and haven't heard anything yet either. Tomorrow is the first deposit deadline. I am guessing movements will start taking place later this week......


I was wait listed first week of Jan and had a date change in early March and a recent date change in April. I'm hoping offers from the wait list start this week because I'm becoming anxious. I've already made a deposit at BC but I'll withdraw if I'm offered admissions at Fordham.


I submitted everything the second week of January and did not receive a yes, no or waitlist. Anybody else in the same boat? I guess I'm on the de facto waitlist but I'm just confused as to why they could not tell me that.

User avatar
JurisDoll
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby JurisDoll » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:58 pm

chipotle123 wrote:
JurisDoll wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
JurisDoll wrote:Has anyone from the waiting list seen any movement? Or heard back from admissions?






When were you wait-listed? I was wait-listed early March and haven't heard anything yet either. Tomorrow is the first deposit deadline. I am guessing movements will start taking place later this week......


I was wait listed first week of Jan and had a date change in early March and a recent date change in April. I'm hoping offers from the wait list start this week because I'm becoming anxious. I've already made a deposit at BC but I'll withdraw if I'm offered admissions at Fordham.


I submitted everything the second week of January and did not receive a yes, no or waitlist. Anybody else in the same boat? I guess I'm on the de facto waitlist but I'm just confused as to why they could not tell me that.


Did you check your status checker? Mine says Wait listed, so I'm assuming if you are then it would confirm it for you there. Otherwise, I would give the admissions office a call because 1st deposits are tomorrow and it's reasonable for you to want some sort of clear answer.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, arthrod, Exabot [Bot], fazzvm56, Google Adsense [Bot], jer0689, mccracal, muggleclutch, nume2016, taxman14 and 20 guests