Part-Time Law School Applicants 2013-2014 (all schools)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fnma2jd

Re: Part-Time Law School Applicants 2013-2014 (all schools)

Postby fnma2jd » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:20 am

countmein wrote:I could use some help on how to tell my employer that I am interested in law school without getting a pink slip. I currently work in a field that has nothing to do with law, so there is not chance of telling them that LS will be a stepping stone to a better position within the company.

Any advice...

I'm in the same situation. I've decided just not to tell them until I've been in for a while and have proved that I can handle the workload of both

Hinshelwood wrote:
fnma2jd wrote:
Hinshelwood wrote:Checking in. I'm applying for PT to the local law school, which is (barely) in the top 100. 20 years out of undergrad, so I've got a fairly well established career. The law degree is a natural next step in that career. So it is PT or nothing for me.

Welcome! I'm in a similar boat, except less years out of UG. I'm loving the Airplane reference in the avatar.

Have you applied yet?

Not yet, took the LSAT in December, the plan is to have my PS wrapped up right around the time scores are released, and then apply.

Same here, tough trying do my personal statement. I've been putting it off forever

Good luck guys keep us updated as you apply and get accepted

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:31 am

countmein wrote:I could use some help on how to tell my employer that I am interested in law school without getting a pink slip. I currently work in a field that has nothing to do with law, so there is not chance of telling them that LS will be a stepping stone to a better position within the company.

Any advice...

You must never tell them.

Let that sink in. Consider that I might be making a joke, and then listen to me when I say YOU MUST NEVER TELL THEM. I AM NOT JOKING.

I have experience with this, and it is a long story, but if it is at all possible for you, do not tell them. I worked for a company for 15 years and I thought they would understand. For the first few years of law school they were outspoken in their support. Around my 3rd year it got weird. People not in the legal field do not understand law school, or the ambitions of a law student, and the fact that you are in law school can only hurt you.

The one exception to this rule is if you are applying for tuition reimbursement. If this is the case, you need to communicate ONLY with those whom are necessary for the processing of the tuition reimbursement.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:33 am

you need to communicate ONLY with those whom are necessary for the processing of the tuition reimbursement.

And even then, you need to weigh whether the tuition reimbursement is significant enough to make this worth it, because it can still hurt you.

Bear in mind, my experience was with a very large US corporation. Experiences might vary based on smaller family companies, etc.

The Dark Kite

Postby The Dark Kite » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Do you know what numbers can get you into GULC PT?

CuffsgoKlick

Postby CuffsgoKlick » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Part-timer checking in. Same boat as most of you...can only apply to what's within driving distance for evening classes. I'll be starting L1 at the ripe old age of 48.

slw2r

Postby slw2r » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:58 pm

[/quote]

Thanks sharing! Do you feel like working in a law firm has made everything easier? I know you said that it makes your future job search a little less stressful but do you feel like anything has translated into academic success?[/quote]

Yes, I do think that working in a law firm makes certain aspects of my life easier. As a paralegal, I get certain tasks because my attorneys know that I'm in law school and I understand certain things better than some of my coworkers because of that--proofreading briefs, etc. I also think that working specifically for a law firm as opposed to some other type of company or the government makes things easier because every attorney I work with has gone through law school, some part-time, and can understand my time constraints. For example, I had a meeting with my boss on the same day that I had a final, and she asked how finals were going. Once she found out that I had one that day, she told me that I should take the rest of the day off of work and go straight to school to study.

**Side note--I didn't take nearly enough time off from work around finals. I ended up taking only one full day and then that extra half day that my boss made me take. My weekends at that point were dominated by my final paper for my writing class, so I didn't have a lot of extra time beyond that for actual studying. I plan to take off three or four days at the end of spring semester to make sure that I have enough study time.

In terms of academic success, I will be honest and say that being a part-time student and doing well in school is extremely hard. The demands on my time are kind of crazy. In the beginning of the semester, I tried to constrain my school time to one full day of the weekend, and then just a few hours on the other day, but I realized about halfway through that, for me at least, that just wasn't enough. Pretty much every weekend and the hour and a half that I have between work and class is spent on schoolwork. No running errands, no social plans beyond grabbing coffee, no doing...anything else, really. A lot of my classmates are switching from PT to FT and I totally understand why. When you work a full time job, it's so hard to measure up against the gunner FT kids who spend all of their time reading and outlining, because there just isn't time in the day for everything that needs to be done. I think that's something that I'm still coming to terms with.

I will, however, say that I think I did pretty well in my classes because I studied consistently throughout the semester and I was always prepared for class. I knew that I wouldn't be able to cram everything in at the last minute like I did in undergrad, so I planned for that. As a part-timer, as long as you go in with that mentality, it's manageable. My research and writing class tended to dominate a lot of my time just because there was a lot of written work that had to be done, but I always found time to do my readings for my other classes, which I think put me ahead of at least some of my classmates who would show up totally unprepared the week after one of our papers was due. Once you fall behind as a part time student, it's really hard to get back up to speed unless you take a day off of work or have a federal holiday or something.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope that some of my answers helped!

CuffsgoKlick

Postby CuffsgoKlick » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 am

That was some good info slw2r. Thanks! Been wondering about the time management aspect. I work 40 plus hours but can take time off from work pretty easily.

MrsHello

Postby MrsHello » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Got a full-time job in a big media firm and they are paying for $10K a year and they hire the law students (have seen at least 5 colleagues that has done this!) they send to school so it's pretty a no-brainer to stay while going to school this coming fall. Applying in the following:
- Fordham (1st choice)
- SJU (2nd) - Simply because I live the next town over Jamaica/Kew Gardens.
- Brooklyn (3rd)
- NYLS (4th)

Over 10+ years of solid legal IP work, Community/Volunteer leader, an MBA and an MA in CRJ.

Just submitted my apps since I just got my score (December LSAT) the other day.

Best of luck to all of you. :D
Last edited by MrsHello on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jone7007

Postby jone7007 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:43 pm

kemosabe wrote:
anon1538 wrote:
kemosabe wrote:Has anyone heard back from GULC yet? I applied to both PT and FT. I was accepted into the FT program almost two weeks ago, but there has been no mention of my PT application. I'm wondering if I should keep waiting or contact admissions.

Dude, if I'm not mistaken, when you check that FT or PT box, they choose for you which program they think you best fit in. So, if you got into FT, they made the decision for you and you will not be getting another acceptance from GULC. Isn't one letter from Dean Cornblatt enough? :)

Ha yeah I guess I can't really complain. I'll have to double check the website to confirm that's how it works. I'm sure it's there somewhere. Thanks for the info.

GULC, part-time 1E here. If you have been admitted FT and would like to change to the PT program contact admissions. No guarantee, but there is a good chance they will let you switch. However, I would see what scholarships and merit aid you are offered first because there is less offered for GULC PT.

jone7007

Postby jone7007 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:50 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:Do you know what numbers can get you into GULC PT?

GULC 1E here. My impression is GULC takes a wider range of PT and more splinters. Also softs are more important. Everyone has very good softs. I have classmates with very low 160 LSATs, but great grades and sub 3.0 GPAs with very high LSAT scores.

You miss out on so much of what law school offers outside of class (especially networking) unless you have strong motivations, like a family or great job, from what I’ve seen I'd rethink a PT program. From what I’ve seen it is not working going PT just to go to a higher ranked school.

fnma2jd

Postby fnma2jd » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:47 pm

officially submitted my apps today!

abucking

Postby abucking » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:30 pm

Accepted to Western New England University part time program with a scholarship. Still waiting on Quinni and UConn Part time decisions.

CuffsgoKlick

Postby CuffsgoKlick » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 pm

abucking wrote:Accepted to Western New England University part time program with a scholarship. Still waiting on Quinni and UConn Part time decisions.

Same gig here..got in at WNE and got an e-mail from QU yesterday. Waiting for UCONN, though my numbers aren't great. I'll have to visit WNE and QU to make a decision if those are the two choices I am left with. Have you considered which one you'd go to?

abucking

Postby abucking » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:07 pm

CuffsgoKlick wrote:
abucking wrote:Accepted to Western New England University part time program with a scholarship. Still waiting on Quinni and UConn Part time decisions.

Same gig here..got in at WNE and got an e-mail from QU yesterday. Waiting for UCONN, though my numbers aren't great. I'll have to visit WNE and QU to make a decision if those are the two choices I am left with. Have you considered which one you'd go to?

Cuffs, it's me (longtimecoming78--LSN username) It would probably come down to scholly $$$$. Message me. WNEU has open house on Feb. 1st.

kris4842

Postby kris4842 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:09 pm

So I just got an email from St. Johns for a video Interview, has anyone ever done this?

calmenda

Postby calmenda » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Applied part-time at: Georgetown, UCONN, Golden Gate, USF, Loyola and UCONN.

hemicat27

Postby hemicat27 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Checking in. Applications are out to both Atlanta area PT programs. 30+ non-traditional, wife/mom and I've worked as a paralegal for the last 3+ years at a firm outside the city where I have a place post graduation. I got my acceptance today from AJMLS along with a scholarship offer. But REALLY holding out hope for GSU. Life has me realistically limited to the state of Georgia and essentially limited to PT as well. Not much to choose from here. Seriously considering waiting a year and retaking if I don't get into GSU this cycle. *sigh*

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”