Richmond c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bravo1085

Re: Richmond c/o 2017

Postby bravo1085 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:28 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:
bravo1085 wrote:Got a text message from a 1L this morning. She was asking if I had any questions that she could answer.

We were told to pick up admissions cards and reach out. I think texting is a bit much; I emailed some students.

I can answer any questions as well.

The text didn't bother me. It was a pleasant surprise, actually, but I can see how some may view it as a tad much. Not in my case, though. I'm leaning very heavily towards Richmond. I'm just waiting on a few schools that haven't rendered decisions yet, and deciding between Richmond and another school with a similar offer. But like I said, leaning towards Richmond.

bravo1085

Postby bravo1085 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:42 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:
bravo1085 wrote:Got a text message from a 1L this morning. She was asking if I had any questions that she could answer.

We were told to pick up admissions cards and reach out. I think texting is a bit much; I emailed some students.

I can answer any questions as well.

Actually, I have a question. What is the Curve policy at Richmond, 1L and beyond? I would prefer none at all, but I believe most, if not all, schools curve at least the first year classes.

vineyardchick07

Postby vineyardchick07 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:25 pm

Just withdrew my application. Hope someone gets my former spot and $$. Good luck everyone!! :D

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:37 pm

bravo1085 wrote:Actually, I have a question. What is the Curve policy at Richmond, 1L and beyond? I would prefer none at all, but I believe most, if not all, schools curve at least the first year classes.

It was curved to a mode of 3.0 (B). It's changing though. We got an email.

Email:
Dear Students,

At their most recent meeting, the law faculty adopted a revised Grading Policy for both First Year and Upper Level courses. This policy represents the culmination of work over the past two academic years by the Student Services Committee, with representation on the committee by the SBA President and opportunities for input from open meetings with groups of students. The new policy provides as follows:

1. The mean (average) grade point for each course will be 3.30 +/- .10;

2. The following grade distribution shall apply:

a. 25-35% A or A-

b. 30-40% B+

c. 15-25% B

d. 10-20% B- and below

3. The above mean and distribution requirements will apply to all classes except:

a. For classes with enrollments of 16 students or less, there is no required distribution, only a mean grade point of 3.30 +/- .10

b. For clinics, there is no required distribution, and the mean grade point of 3.30 shall be within a range of +/- .30.

c. For classes of one student (including Independent Research classes and graded Research Assistant credit) there is neither a mean grade point nor a grade distribution requirement.

4. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will have limited discretion to allow faculty to deviate from the above policy.

The new Grading Policy brings the mean grade point for courses more in line with our competitor schools, including schools in Virginia, and ensures that all faculty follow the same policy regarding grade distribution, in those courses where it applies, and mean grade point. This Grading Policy will take effect with the 2014-15 academic year. The Policy will also be posted on the law school website in the near future.

Thank you for your attention to this information.

Dean Williams

bravo1085

Postby bravo1085 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:16 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:
bravo1085 wrote:Actually, I have a question. What is the Curve policy at Richmond, 1L and beyond? I would prefer none at all, but I believe most, if not all, schools curve at least the first year classes.

It was curved to a mode of 3.0 (B). It's changing though. We got an email.

Which brings up the question: what percentage of upper level classes consist of over 16 students?

Edit: Also, I bet "on the website in the near future" is after the April 15th Seat Deposit.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:05 pm

bravo1085 wrote:Which brings up the question: what percentage of upper level classes consist of over 16 students?

Edit: Also, I bet "on the website in the near future" is after the April 15th Seat Deposit.

You're probably right on the website thing. I know I read somewhere online about the number of students in upper level classes; can't find it now.

I looked up course registration to see what classes are capped at. The seminars for specific things (like upper level writing) seem to be capped at 16-20, some even lower (6). Other upper level classes capped about 40-60. First year classes will be your sections so, 50. Except legal writing which is more like 30. Two of the classrooms can probably fit about 100 comfortably; two other classrooms maybe 40; finally there are some smaller rooms for 10-20.

But I've heard from upperclassmen that the classes do not fill up completely. So even if Evidence can take 90, they won't actually take 90. Looks like the cap is based on the size of the room.

mmd90

Postby mmd90 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:23 pm

Just got the call offering admission and a 15k scholarship! I'm at a Nats game, so unexpected because of how late it is. Awesome way to end the night :).

goterps123

Postby goterps123 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Were you on the waitlist? If so, which one?

mmd90

Postby mmd90 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:05 pm

Were you asking me? If so, no. I applied 3/6 and actually just realized the other day that my LoRs never went through, so I think everything was actually complete around 4/7. This was the first thing I've heard from them since my initial application, though. 159/3.5 if that helps :).

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:23 am

mmd90 wrote:Were you asking me? If so, no. I applied 3/6 and actually just realized the other day that my LoRs never went through, so I think everything was actually complete around 4/7. This was the first thing I've heard from them since my initial application, though. 159/3.5 if that helps :).

Congrats on your scholarship! I had stats above that and didn't get anything so I guess it's a black box...

mmd90

Postby mmd90 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:
mmd90 wrote:Were you asking me? If so, no. I applied 3/6 and actually just realized the other day that my LoRs never went through, so I think everything was actually complete around 4/7. This was the first thing I've heard from them since my initial application, though. 159/3.5 if that helps :).

Congrats on your scholarship! I had stats above that and didn't get anything so I guess it's a black box...

Thanks! I definitely didn't expect anything (or much) with my stats and this late in the cycle, but maybe they actually care about work and volunteer experience? I don't plan on moving from DC, though, so I'll probably end up withdrawing. Maybe you'll get my moolah!

bravo1085

Postby bravo1085 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:38 am

mmd90 wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:

Thanks! I definitely didn't expect anything (or much) with my stats and this late in the cycle, but maybe they actually care about work and volunteer experience? I don't plan on moving from DC, though, so I'll probably end up withdrawing. Maybe you'll get my moolah!

He's already a 1L at Richmond.

Carter N

Postby Carter N » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 am

Also a 1L at Richmond, can answer any questions you may have.

mmd90

Postby mmd90 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:57 am

bravo1085 wrote:
mmd90 wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:

He's already a 1L at Richmond.

Lol, whoops. Never mind then.

bravo1085

Postby bravo1085 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:43 am

Deposited today

sunsheyen

Postby sunsheyen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Has anyone else gotten a call being accepted off the waitlist this morning?

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:13 pm

sunsheyen wrote:Has anyone else gotten a call being accepted off the waitlist this morning?

No. have they already started calling?

ellewoods179

Postby ellewoods179 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 pm

I heard that they would be accepting off the waitlist as early as April 16th for some....

sunsheyen

Postby sunsheyen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:40 pm

I got a call a few hours ago from Dean Rahman. Offered 30k/yr scholarship. I have been torn about withdrawing to get a few personal things straight that I won't want to deal with 1L, but this call has me really thinking. I also have begun studying in anticipation of a retake to enhance my admission and $$ chances across the board. Also on UVA waitlist and withdrew from W&M waitlist last night via email.

This was a total surprise. I think I may have forgotten to thank her, so I will make sure I apologize for that! She said I could have until tomorrow to consider, which is fine, I don't want to leave anyone waiting if I decide to decline.

Hope some others get the calls they want! I will update when I make my final decision.

bravo1085

Postby bravo1085 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 pm

sunsheyen wrote:I got a call a few hours ago from Dean Rahman. Offered 30k/yr scholarship. I have been torn about withdrawing to get a few personal things straight that I won't want to deal with 1L, but this call has me really thinking. I also have begun studying in anticipation of a retake to enhance my admission and $$ chances across the board. Also on UVA waitlist and withdrew from W&M waitlist last night via email.

This was a total surprise. I think I may have forgotten to thank her, so I will make sure I apologize for that! She said I could have until tomorrow to consider, which is fine, I don't want to leave anyone waiting if I decide to decline.

Hope some others get the calls they want! I will update when I make my final decision.

Congratulations!

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:19 pm

sunsheyen wrote:I got a call a few hours ago from Dean Rahman. Offered 30k/yr scholarship. I have been torn about withdrawing to get a few personal things straight that I won't want to deal with 1L, but this call has me really thinking. I also have begun studying in anticipation of a retake to enhance my admission and $$ chances across the board. Also on UVA waitlist and withdrew from W&M waitlist last night via email.

Congrats!
If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your letter of interest?

ellewoods179

Postby ellewoods179 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:22 pm

chizzy wrote:

Congrats!
If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your letter of interest?

Did you send a letter of continued interest?

sunsheyen

Postby sunsheyen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:34 pm

I didn't send an LOCI, I got my waitlist letter around 3 weeks ago.
Last edited by sunsheyen on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dibreezy

Postby dibreezy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Hey all,

Just got admitted off the waitlist today. Offered 20k scholly guaranteed for all three years. I have to accept this offer by tomorrow so I am facing a time constraint.

My question is how or even can I negotiate a larger scholarship. If they up it to 30k a year then I will be a Spider, but if they can't do that it's difficult for me to justify the additional cost.

My main concern is being two hours from DC. DC is where I want to be, and I need access to the city. How does Richmond fare in DC? How strong is the name recognition?

I have already paid my seat deposit at Catholic. Any advice on any of this?

Thanks

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:09 pm

dibreezy wrote:Hey all,

Just got admitted off the waitlist today. Offered 20k scholly guaranteed for all three years. I have to accept this offer by tomorrow so I am facing a time constraint.

My question is how or even can I negotiate a larger scholarship. If they up it to 30k a year then I will be a Spider, but if they can't do that it's difficult for me to justify the additional cost.

My main concern is being two hours from DC. DC is where I want to be, and I need access to the city. How does Richmond fare in DC? How strong is the name recognition?

I have already paid my seat deposit at Catholic. Any advice on any of this?

Thanks

Name recognition is good in Richmond. Plus, the alumni are active so I don't think you'd have too hard a time breaking into DC if you networked.

20k/yr is good considering how low UR's tuition is compared to some other schools (it's only 32k/yr last time I checked). COL in Richmond is half as cheap as DC.

If you want a shot in DC, I would caution against Catholic. Yes, it's in DC, but you will be competing with GULC, GW, and even AU (to some extent). Plus, all the people from other top schools wanting to get to DC. Rank will be important. As will grades. So unless you end up Editor of Catholic's Law Review and #1 in your class, you may have trouble.

But, as always, choose what's best for you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”