University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Marquis

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby Marquis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:00 am

Alright team, I'm starting to panic a bit.

I emailed the lovely people at the admissions office last week requesting an extension of the deposit deadline since I haven't had a chance to visit the campus yet and am still waiting to hear back on some other applications. I got an response pretty much right away saying they would check with the admissions comittee and get back to me asap. I sent a follow-up email this morning because April 1st is right around the corner and got an auto-reply saying the law school is closed all this week for spring break.

I have no problem eating the $100.00 seat deposit to keep my place, but the statement of intent to accept the scholarship offer is also due April 1st and I'm not sure if it's binding or not. I don't see any language in the letter itself which states that I would have to withdraw acceptances from other schools, but I'm also paranoid that I might be missing something. I don't want to inadvertently withdraw from other schools that I'm seriously considering, but neither do I want to lose my seat/scholly at Bama so early in the game. What should I do at this point? Do I just send it in anyway?

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:03 am

Marquis wrote:Alright team, I'm starting to panic a bit.

I emailed the lovely people at the admissions office last week requesting an extension of the deposit deadline since I haven't had a chance to visit the campus yet and am still waiting to hear back on some other applications. I got an response pretty much right away saying they would check with the admissions comittee and get back to me asap. I sent a follow-up email this morning because April 1st is right around the corner and got an auto-reply saying the law school is closed all this week for spring break.

I have no problem eating the $100.00 seat deposit to keep my place, but the statement of intent to accept the scholarship offer is also due April 1st and I'm not sure if it's binding or not. I don't see any language in the letter itself which states that I would have to withdraw acceptances from other schools, but I'm also paranoid that I might be missing something. I don't want to inadvertently withdraw from other schools that I'm seriously considering, but neither do I want to lose my seat/scholly at Bama so early in the game. What should I do at this point? Do I just send it in anyway?

if you read the scholarship off one of the terms under "application and maintenance of scholarship" the last bullet point in that section reads "• If you withdraw from the Law School or decide not to enroll in classes for any semester or year, your scholarship will be canceled."

so it looks like you can just bail on it

i looked for any fine print and i couldnt find anything that says it is binding so i think youre good

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:50 am

thevuch wrote:
Marquis wrote:Alright team, I'm starting to panic a bit.

if you read the scholarship off one of the terms under "application and maintenance of scholarship" the last bullet point in that section reads "• If you withdraw from the Law School or decide not to enroll in classes for any semester or year, your scholarship will be canceled."

so it looks like you can just bail on it

i looked for any fine print and i couldnt find anything that says it is binding so i think youre good

Thanks vuch, I'll fire it off today then!

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:54 am

sure thing. i mean whats alabama going to do?

call them up and say "yeah....hey (other school you got into) so this is alabama law and we uhh got this OFFICIAL AS F*CK certificate of intent that this student signed so yeah you are going to have to withdraw his app and yeah he is not coming there and yeah your opportunity to boost your LSAT medians or squeeze him for thousands of dollars is no longer real, he is ours now yeah sorry. kthxbye"

i do not see that happening.

or if you don't go period what are they going to do? bill you for tuition? but i didnt goto school? i didnt sign a contract. i didnt do anything, yeah i say I INTENDED TO ACCEPT the scholarship and the moment in which i signed it, with the current state of affairs that day and that time, i did INTEND to accept it, but it did not say i WILL accept it, it did not say i WILL withdraw from every other school. INTENTIONS change. as a law school they should know that

if the situation stays as it is the moment i signed that COI then i will go, but if it changes im not going to let a COI that was due by april 1st take all my other options off the table

shortgiraffes

Postby shortgiraffes » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 am

In today via phone call, substantial scholarship and they even spelled it out like 'tuition is ~34k a year so I hope this sends a strong message.' The lady was really nice but I didn't have it together because I had just woken up, I should have asked about that damn April 1st deadline. At this point I'm more interested in Emory but Alabama's scholarship offer combined with their lower tuition rate makes them the most inexpensive of all my options.

hgp0002

Postby hgp0002 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:43 am

shortgiraffes wrote:In today via phone call, substantial scholarship and they even spelled it out like 'tuition is ~34k a year so I hope this sends a strong message.' The lady was really nice but I didn't have it together because I had just woken up, I should have asked about that damn April 1st deadline. At this point I'm more interested in Emory but Alabama's scholarship offer combined with their lower tuition rate makes them the most inexpensive of all my options.

Could you possibly PM me your numbers if you don't mind? I'm in both the medians and I've been under review for forever it seems.

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:38 pm

shortgiraffes wrote:In today via phone call, substantial scholarship and they even spelled it out like 'tuition is ~34k a year so I hope this sends a strong message.' The lady was really nice but I didn't have it together because I had just woken up, I should have asked about that damn April 1st deadline. At this point I'm more interested in Emory but Alabama's scholarship offer combined with their lower tuition rate makes them the most inexpensive of all my options.

Congrats!!

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm out guys... Withdrawing today.

I almost feel bad because the admissions staff have been so nice and helpful with the packages and calls, but ultimately not the best fit for me.

Hope it frees up a spot if anyone's waiting.

ayl

Postby ayl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Withdrawn as well. Best of luck to everyone on the list!

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Sent my deposit in this week. 90% sure this is where I'll be spending the next 3 years. :D

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:52 pm

Withdrawn....Ultimately just not a good fit. They're far and away the nicest group of people (students, faculty and staff) that I've come into contact with throughout this whole thing though. Good luck to everyone still waiting or deciding :D

samoby

Postby samoby » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Withdrawn. Good luck to everyone on this thread!

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:13 pm

deposit sent! Still waiting on some things, but I didn't want to lose this option yet.

jts723

Postby jts723 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:16 am

I'm at "Decision Made" as of 3/25--I was previously PFCD. Going to go on a limb and assume I got dinged.

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:20 am

Just sent my deposit. Not sure this is where I should go, but for my goals, and for free... It's damn tempting.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:36 pm

do you guys sign the certificate of intents too?

UALawGrad

Postby UALawGrad » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Hey y'all,

My roommates and I are graduating 3Ls at UA Law and will be moving out of a pretty nice house we have on Lake Tuscaloosa and our landlord prefers to rent to law students so I thought I would post the information on here in case anyone is looking or interested.

The house is huge (approximately 2,400 sqft.) and is lake front with a huge wooden patio overlooking the lake. It's about 10 miles from campus so the drive is very easy but it's way quieter than anything you'll find around campus. It's located at the back of North River which is the "most exclusive" neighborhood in Tuscaloosa (and is an extremely safe area) about 1/2 a mile from the North River Yacht Club. The house itself is 4 bedrooms, 3 baths with one being a master bedroom, one being a loft style bedroom, and then two other large bedrooms that share a bathroom. It has granite countertops and an island bar in the kitchen as well. There are hardwood floors throughout the house.

Outside there's an enclosed 2 car garage as well as a large, completely fenced in dog kennel that is partially covered for bad weather. The property is very pet friendly (if you have a dog, you want a place like this) and the landlord actually has several acres on and adjacent to the property that is enclosed by an invisible fence that you can put your dog(s) on if you just buy the collar for it which is again a huge plus if you have dogs. There is easy access on the property to swim in the lake in addition to a small cliff that we often use as a more adventurous way to get in the water.

When you split up the rent between 4 roommates, it's very reasonable and comparable to anything you'd find near campus. I've attached some pictures but if anyone is interested in seeing more or would like more information on the property, just send me a private message and I'll get back to you. Good luck to everyone with applications and making your decisions for school!

Pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4dwv1ru0xye0 ... 0_0319.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4dwv1ru0xye0 ... C00438.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4dwv1ru0xye0 ... C00436.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4dwv1ru0xye0 ... C00437.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4dwv1ru0xye0 ... C02304.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4dwv1ru0xye0 ... 0_0325.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4dwv1ru0xye0 ... C02272.JPG

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:13 pm

thevuch wrote:do you guys sign the certificate of intents too?

I did, yes.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:17 pm

I didn't, I just paid online. Did we have to send a letter in? I don't have the letter with me

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:19 pm

bama told me that i had to pay the seat deposit to reserve my spot but sign and submit the certificate of intent to reserve my scholarship

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:22 pm

I forgot I'm still waiting on a response.

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:22 pm

wsparker wrote:I didn't, I just paid online. Did we have to send a letter in? I don't have the letter with me

You can probably just call them and ask them to send you an electronic form, or maybe they'll let you verify over the phone for now?

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Robbin Blue wrote:
thevuch wrote:do you guys sign the certificate of intents too?

I did, yes.

Me too.

doubledawg3378

Postby doubledawg3378 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:37 am

http://www.law.ua.edu/wp-content/upload ... ummary.pdf

2013 Employment Stats up!

Sad to see GA, not in Top 3 of placements... It was #2 last year

msx3

Postby msx3 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:26 pm

doubledawg3378 wrote:http://www.law.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013-ABA-Placement-Summary.pdf

2013 Employment Stats up!

Sad to see GA, not in Top 3 of placements... It was #2 last year

I was told that this was an odd year and that GA should return to #2 next year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”