University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Amy1234

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby Amy1234 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:47 am

mes10d wrote:Have any other PFCD applicants received the following email from Becca? It feels very much like a WL without actually being a WL.

"Thank you for applying to The University of Alabama School of Law. Applications to our law school have increased this year, but we will maintain our small class size. The Admissions Committee has been working since November to build the incoming Fall 2014 class.
The Admissions Committee is impressed by your file and is prioritizing the outstanding applications. If there have been any significant changes in your interest, application or status, please let me know.
Again, thank you for applying. I apologize for our delay in getting back to you. Please let me know if you have any questions."

PFCD since 2/17, and I have yet to receive any information. Called in, but was given a read out of my online status checker. They said I would know by May. I have deposits due starting April 1st, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with Alabama. Pretty sad, Alabama was one of my top 2 choices.

SparkyZZZ

Postby SparkyZZZ » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 am

I took the letter to mean that they want a LOCI if you still want to come.

I also suspect that they might have someone reading this thread and that they realized how bad keeping people in limbo for months and months looked.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:01 am

I got the email but mine left out the "impressed by your file line" and just said they're prioritizing outstanding applications. Alabama was a top choice for me because it's close to home and has good employment stats, but this is a joke. Vandy, Emory, and WUSTL gave me scholarship offers (about 1/3 off at each) weeks ago, but I'm still waiting on Bama? Really? Fine, I'm withdrawing (perhaps that's what they want). I don't particularly want to live in bum-f**k Tuscaloosa for three years or be stuck saying "roll tide" for the rest of my life anyway. Bama, if you're reading this, have the courage to just issue a wait list, rejection, or acceptance, because this is a joke.

*rant over...sorry.

texasbama

Postby texasbama » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Yeah they left out the "impressed by your application" in my letter as well. I just thought I was abnormal.

tomjones

Postby tomjones » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:16 pm

I didn't even get the email. Been PFCD since November. Guess it's time to send in a LOCI to let em know I'm still alive.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:43 pm

accepted today with nice scholarship via phone call. 3.3 in state 165 nonurm. if youre PFCD and serious about going to bama law GO VISIT NOW.

texasbama

Postby texasbama » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:49 am

thevuch wrote:accepted today with nice scholarship via phone call. 3.3 in state 165 nonurm. if youre PFCD and serious about going to bama law GO VISIT NOW.

I am going to visit next week. I want Bama more than anything.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:51 am

texasbama wrote:
thevuch wrote:accepted today with nice scholarship via phone call. 3.3 in state 165 nonurm. if youre PFCD and serious about going to bama law GO VISIT NOW.

I am going to visit next week. I want Bama more than anything.

it took me from PFCD to the phone call we all want pretty quick

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:00 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:45 am

So the deadline for the the first deposit ($100.00) and the statement of intent to accept a scholarship is April 1st. Does anyone know if sending these in in time would make me unable to negotiate and accept offers from other schools?

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:31 pm

If anyone is still waiting to hear back about the Dean Scholarship Award, looks like emails are coming out today! :) Pretty nice since the deposit deadline is hella early.

squee116

Postby squee116 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:57 pm

Amy1234 wrote:
mes10d wrote:Have any other PFCD applicants received the following email from Becca? It feels very much like a WL without actually being a WL.

"Thank you for applying to The University of Alabama School of Law. Applications to our law school have increased this year, but we will maintain our small class size. The Admissions Committee has been working since November to build the incoming Fall 2014 class.
The Admissions Committee is impressed by your file and is prioritizing the outstanding applications. If there have been any significant changes in your interest, application or status, please let me know.
Again, thank you for applying. I apologize for our delay in getting back to you. Please let me know if you have any questions."

PFCD since 2/17, and I have yet to receive any information. Called in, but was given a read out of my online status checker. They said I would know by May. I have deposits due starting April 1st, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with Alabama. Pretty sad, Alabama was one of my top 2 choices.

PFCD exact same date, also nothing.

racqueld

Postby racqueld » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 am

Still under review a month later. *headdesk*

chargers

Postby chargers » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:30 pm

Alabama released their employment figures for the class of 2013 today, heres a link for those interested.
http://www.law.ua.edu/wp-content/upload ... ummary.pdf

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:37 pm

chargers wrote:Alabama released their employment figures for the class of 2013 today, heres a link for those interested.
http://www.law.ua.edu/wp-content/upload ... ummary.pdf

Thank you!

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 pm

it looks like their big law placement improved? and are other schools going to be doing this soon? or is this unusually early?

chargers

Postby chargers » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:48 pm

thevuch wrote:it looks like their big law placement improved? and are other schools going to be doing this soon? or is this unusually early?

Their biglaw+fed clerkships are up about 5% from last year. IIRC schools were allowed to begin releasing data on Monday and are required to release it sometime in the next couple weeks (can't remember exact date). So it is pretty early, but Alabama is among a decent number of schools that have posted it already.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:48 pm

chargers wrote:
thevuch wrote:it looks like their big law placement improved? and are other schools going to be doing this soon? or is this unusually early?

Their biglaw+fed clerkships are up about 5% from last year. IIRC, schools were allowed to begin releasing data on Monday and are required to release it sometime in the next couple weeks (can't remember exact date). So it is pretty early, but Alabama is among a decent number of schools that have posted it already.

where are they typically posted? school website?

chargers

Postby chargers » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:51 pm

thevuch wrote:
chargers wrote:

Their biglaw+fed clerkships are up about 5% from last year. IIRC, schools were allowed to begin releasing data on Monday and are required to release it sometime in the next couple weeks (can't remember exact date). So it is pretty early, but Alabama is among a decent number of schools that have posted it already.

where are they typically posted? school website?

Yeah.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:40 pm

does anyone know how mobile an alabama degree is? (im thinking not very mobile) i mean how much does a 23rd ranking carry a school in a place like atlanta or houston or dallas or or nashville or DC? you know? i saw on the latest reports that they said they put something like 10 kids in texas. but?

and does anyone know how long alabama has been a top 25 school?
where were they 5 years ago?
10? 15?

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:54 pm

thevuch wrote:does anyone know how mobile an alabama degree is? (im thinking not very mobile) i mean how much does a 23rd ranking carry a school in a place like atlanta or houston or dallas or or nashville or DC? you know? i saw on the latest reports that they said they put something like 10 kids in texas. but?

10? 15?

Alabama was 38 as recently as 2010. Not sure about 10 to 15 years ago, but I am sure that data is available. As for mobility (to Atlanta) it is a really tough market to begin with, but some bama grads do end up here. I know that they are hiring an Atlanta liaison of sorts to network with Atlanta firms, so it sounds like they are working on employment in Atlanta. For the other markets, I have no clue, but I would guess that Bama does not travel that well outside of the SE (and some of that may be self selection). I would ask Becca to put you in touch with graduates in the cities that you are interested in and talk to them about it.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:08 pm

wsparker wrote:
thevuch wrote:does anyone know how mobile an alabama degree is? (im thinking not very mobile) i mean how much does a 23rd ranking carry a school in a place like atlanta or houston or dallas or or nashville or DC? you know? i saw on the latest reports that they said they put something like 10 kids in texas. but?

10? 15?

Alabama was 38 as recently as 2010. Not sure about 10 to 15 years ago, but I am sure that data is available. As for mobility (to Atlanta) it is a really tough market to begin with, but some bama grads do end up here. I know that they are hiring an Atlanta liaison of sorts to network with Atlanta firms, so it sounds like they are working on employment in Atlanta. For the other markets, I have no clue, but I would guess that Bama does not travel that well outside of the SE (and some of that may be self selection). I would ask Becca to put you in touch with graduates in the cities that you are interested in and talk to them about it.

thats a bummer atlanta is so tough. im from birmingham and its tough as hell right now, the whole state is super saturated according to the attorneys ive talked to. one of the major firms in the city that has been around for 50 years with about 50 lawyers is going broke here in bham (Haskell Slaughter). which is discouraging, but atlanta is SO HUGE. i'd think it would be a little better you know

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:11 pm

and how does a school climb from 38 to 21 in 3 years? 10-13?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:23 pm

rebexness wrote:
thevuch wrote:and how does a school climb from 38 to 21 in 3 years? 10-13?

They give away giant scholarships and itunes giftcards.

seriously? their large scholarships shoot em to the top?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”