University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BLUERUFiO

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby BLUERUFiO » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:59 am

I got a free T-Shirt today! Size XL. I blogged about it, http://lawyerwrit.org/free-t-shirt-from ... ol-of-law/

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:09 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:I got a free T-Shirt today! Size XL. I blogged about it, http://lawyerwrit.org/free-t-shirt-from ... ol-of-law/

Me too! I was pretty excited as I thought I had missed that train.

Alabama's all like "I want you to want me. ..." I think i might be falling for it. :wink:

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:40 pm

Anyone familiar with Tuscaloosa want to give me some tips on where to go for dinner/what to see while I'm there? Never been but about to go check the place out :)

doubledawg3378

Postby doubledawg3378 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:51 am

zippernicus wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:I got a free T-Shirt today! Size XL. I blogged about it, http://lawyerwrit.org/free-t-shirt-from ... ol-of-law/

Me too! I was pretty excited as I thought I had missed that train.

Alabama's all like "I want you to want me. ..." I think i might be falling for it. :wink:

I agree 100% I REALLY WANT A TSHIRT!

QueenFBG

Postby QueenFBG » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:27 am

KatyMarie wrote:Anyone familiar with Tuscaloosa want to give me some tips on where to go for dinner/what to see while I'm there? Never been but about to go check the place out :)

If you like sports you can catch a softball game or a gymnastics meet; their fans are just as passionate as the football fans. It's a lot of fun. You can take a short hike at the arboretum; it's lovely this time of year. The Bama Theater might have a showing. They're full of surprises. You can picnic on Lake Tuscaloosa behind the Phelps Center or on the Black Warrior River at Manderson Landing/The River Walk. The Transportation Museum is near the river too. It's kind of a neat little place. On campus, there is a natural history museum in Smith Hall (I highly recommend this if you're new to Alabama) and if you want 'Bama' stuff you can shop in the SUPstore in the Ferguson Center. There is also shopping down the strip. There are bars on the strip too. I know Egan's is popular. Try the Green Bar if you want something more laid back.

T-town is famous for two BBQ places: Dreamland and Archibalds (n.b. You'll want the original restaurants. Dreamland is south of Skyland Blvd. Archibald's is just off of Skyland near Academy. Personally, I prefer Dreamland.) If BBQ isn't your thing, I would suggest Cypress Inn. Great catfish and it overlooks the river. City Cafe has the best 'down home' breakfast and lunch in town. Waysiders is a close second on both counts. If you want to have a great burger and milkshake, try Rama Jama next to Bryant-Denny stadium. Also, the German bakery, Edelweiss, has great coffee and daily lunch specials offering authentic German food.

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:06 pm

QueenFBG wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:Anyone familiar with Tuscaloosa want to give me some tips on where to go for dinner/what to see while I'm there? Never been but about to go check the place out :)

If you like sports you can catch a softball game or a gymnastics meet; their fans are just as passionate as the football fans. It's a lot of fun. You can take a short hike at the arboretum; it's lovely this time of year. The Bama Theater might have a showing. They're full of surprises. You can picnic on Lake Tuscaloosa behind the Phelps Center or on the Black Warrior River at Manderson Landing/The River Walk. The Transportation Museum is near the river too. It's kind of a neat little place. On campus, there is a natural history museum in Smith Hall (I highly recommend this if you're new to Alabama) and if you want 'Bama' stuff you can shop in the SUPstore in the Ferguson Center. There is also shopping down the strip. There are bars on the strip too. I know Egan's is popular. Try the Green Bar if you want something more laid back.

T-town is famous for two BBQ places: Dreamland and Archibalds (n.b. You'll want the original restaurants. Dreamland is south of Skyland Blvd. Archibald's is just off of Skyland near Academy. Personally, I prefer Dreamland.) If BBQ isn't your thing, I would suggest Cypress Inn. Great catfish and it overlooks the river. City Cafe has the best 'down home' breakfast and lunch in town. Waysiders is a close second on both counts. If you want to have a great burger and milkshake, try Rama Jama next to Bryant-Denny stadium. Also, the German bakery, Edelweiss, has great coffee and daily lunch specials offering authentic German food.

Awesome. thank you!

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Been "pending final committee decision" since 2/27. Is this normal?

texasbama

Postby texasbama » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:30 am

mes10d wrote:Been "pending final committee decision" since 2/27. Is this normal?

Yes, very normal. According to the thread, it is a "pre-waitlist" of sorts, however many people have been known to become accepted, and with $$. Sometimes they are pulled off the PFCD in August. I am on it as well. Good luck!

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 pm

texasbama wrote:
mes10d wrote:Been "pending final committee decision" since 2/27. Is this normal?

Yes, very normal. According to the thread, it is a "pre-waitlist" of sorts, however many people have been known to become accepted, and with $$. Sometimes they are pulled off the PFCD in August. I am on it as well. Good luck!

I just went back and reread the thread and frankly, it's a little off-putting. Everyone's raved about Bama hospitality, and while I did receive a nice voicemail from Mrs. Griffith, it seems a little ridiculous to be stuck in limbo when you have solid numbers. Good luck to you as well.

(Sorry if I'm a little bitter, I just figured Alabama was a sure thing...maybe this is my first taste of YP? We'll see :? )

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:23 pm

ugh... went PFCD today. 3.3 165 IN state. lived here my whole damn life.

has anyone moved from PFCD to acceptance?

bigvol

Postby bigvol » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:26 am

thevuch wrote:ugh... went PFCD today. 3.3 165 IN state. lived here my whole damn life.

Same here, and I have similar numbers (162/3.7). They're so caught up with their rise in the USNWR rankings that they've forgotten why they exist. Also, I don't know what hospitality y'all are talking about... I applied in mid-December and haven't heard a single thing other than the generic "complete" email. Still stuck in PFCD.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:53 am

bigvol wrote:
thevuch wrote:ugh... went PFCD today. 3.3 165 IN state. lived here my whole damn life.

Same here, and I have similar numbers (162/3.7). They're so caught up with their rise in the USNWR rankings that they've forgotten why they exist. Also, I don't know what hospitality y'all are talking about... I applied in mid-December and haven't heard a single thing other than the generic "complete" email. Still stuck in PFCD.
Last edited by thevuch on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Sorry to those who are PFCD!

If it's still one of your top choices I would send a LOCI if you haven't already.

Last year people were accepted until August. I know it isn't ideal but the admissions department truly is very nice and sending a polite LOCI may get you back on the radar!

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Sorry to the PFCD's also. I am held at W&M so I feel your pain. I think that it is an indication that the adcomms do look at more than just numbers on applications though... there are schools where people have heard back much more quickly than I have and where I am still waiting, on the flipside there are schools I was admitted to in under 3 weeks and where people are venting frustrations about their holds. (In particular I have been complete at my undergrad alma mater for 2 months while others are being accepted left and right, which is super frustrating/disheartening).

That being said, the admissions at Bama is very receptive to prospective students showing their interest. I think that is part of why I had a quick turnaround time. Even though I didn't apply until Jan. I had been in touch via email several times during the fall. I also didn't hear anything for almost 2 weeks after I submitted my app (not even a complete), emailed them and went into review the next day. If you really want to be there, reach out and let them know. It can't hurt!

(and hopefully you will hear something very soon!)

bigvol

Postby bigvol » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:27 pm

thevuch wrote:
bigvol wrote:

youre in state as well? an diknow man the ONLY public law school in the state. im from alabama, my family is here, i want to live and work here. and im NOT going to a TTTTTTTTTT like cumberland or jones or miles or even worse BSL

Yeah, I'm in state. I go to a school that is generally considered to be one of Bama's top feeder schools so it's a little strange. I've spoken to others at my college who have applied at Bama and similar applicants are having similar experiences. Bama's focus seems to be shifting to out of state applicants.

SparkyZZZ

Postby SparkyZZZ » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Well, it looks like they dropped two spots in the latest UNSWR rankings
http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/2014-u ... h-changes/

I wonder if that will get them to show us PFCD folks a bit more love?

doubledawg3378

Postby doubledawg3378 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:Well, it looks like they dropped two spots in the latest UNSWR rankings

Interesting. But in good with -2 when the school that Waitlisted me is at -10 I was basically waiting for this to come out to put down my deposit. Committing tomorrow. ROLL TIDE!

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:01 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:Well, it looks like they dropped two spots in the latest UNSWR rankings

A drop from 21 to 23 is negligible. They're outside the T14, they're a 20-30 T1 law school and a very strong regional...so the difference between 21 and 23 is just kind of standard fluctuation.

I hope you PFCD folks get some ASAP love though :)

doubledawg3378

Postby doubledawg3378 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Deposit down today. Officially going. Anyone else 100% sure??

nyenina

Postby nyenina » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Complete & UR 2/20
PFCD'ed on 3/11.. UGH.

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Have any other PFCD applicants received the following email from Becca? It feels very much like a WL without actually being a WL.

"Thank you for applying to The University of Alabama School of Law. Applications to our law school have increased this year, but we will maintain our small class size. The Admissions Committee has been working since November to build the incoming Fall 2014 class.
The Admissions Committee is impressed by your file and is prioritizing the outstanding applications. If there have been any significant changes in your interest, application or status, please let me know.
Again, thank you for applying. I apologize for our delay in getting back to you. Please let me know if you have any questions."

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58 pm

mes10d wrote:Have any other PFCD applicants received the following email from Becca? It feels very much like a WL without actually being a WL.

"Thank you for applying to The University of Alabama School of Law. Applications to our law school have increased this year, but we will maintain our small class size. The Admissions Committee has been working since November to build the incoming Fall 2014 class.
The Admissions Committee is impressed by your file and is prioritizing the outstanding applications. If there have been any significant changes in your interest, application or status, please let me know.
Again, thank you for applying. I apologize for our delay in getting back to you. Please let me know if you have any questions."

nah i havent. went PFCD last tuesday. 3.3 165 in state. did this come unsolicited?

LyricsToLitigation

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:38 pm

Last edited by LyricsToLitigation on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 pm

thevuch wrote:
mes10d wrote:Have any other PFCD applicants received the following email from Becca? It feels very much like a WL without actually being a WL.

nah i havent. went PFCD last tuesday. 3.3 165 in state. did this come unsolicited?

100% unsolicited. The line about "you're impressive but we're prioritizing the outstanding apps" just doesn't sit well, but that may be my bitterness over not being an auto-admit trickling in.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:00 am

I've been PFCD since December and got the same email, word for word. Since the PFCD is basically a waitlist already, I didn't see the email as anything other than "hey, we know you exist, if you've cured cancer since we pseudo waitlisted you, let us know!".

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”