University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby BLUERUFiO » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:29 pm

Marquis wrote:Checking in. Just got a call from the Dean of Admissions offering a 60k scholarship (OOS). Very excited. Bama is a bit of a legacy school for me, so I could definitely see myself going there. I'm a bit unsure about job prospects coming out, however. Should Bama grads expect to work in Alabama only after graduation? Are there any exceptions to this?

Congrats to everyone accepted so far!

From what I understand, if you go to Alabama you will most likely stay in Alabama.

Marquis
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby Marquis » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:24 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
Marquis wrote:Checking in. Just got a call from the Dean of Admissions offering a 60k scholarship (OOS). Very excited. Bama is a bit of a legacy school for me, so I could definitely see myself going there. I'm a bit unsure about job prospects coming out, however. Should Bama grads expect to work in Alabama only after graduation? Are there any exceptions to this?

Congrats to everyone accepted so far!

From what I understand, if you go to Alabama you will most likely stay in Alabama.


Yeah, that is the sense I have been getting. Thanks!

litig8r
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:56 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby litig8r » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Marquis wrote:Checking in. Just got a call from the Dean of Admissions offering a 60k scholarship (OOS). Very excited. Bama is a bit of a legacy school for me, so I could definitely see myself going there. I'm a bit unsure about job prospects coming out, however. Should Bama grads expect to work in Alabama only after graduation? Are there any exceptions to this?

Congrats to everyone accepted so far!


I believe Alabama is pretty competitive in the Atlanta market. In fact, we were told at an admissions event that they are adding a full time coordinator to assist with placement in Atlanta.

GreyFox1898
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby GreyFox1898 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:34 pm

litig8r wrote:
Marquis wrote:Checking in. Just got a call from the Dean of Admissions offering a 60k scholarship (OOS). Very excited. Bama is a bit of a legacy school for me, so I could definitely see myself going there. I'm a bit unsure about job prospects coming out, however. Should Bama grads expect to work in Alabama only after graduation? Are there any exceptions to this?

Congrats to everyone accepted so far!


I believe Alabama is pretty competitive in the Atlanta market. In fact, we were told at an admissions event that they are adding a full time coordinator to assist with placement in Atlanta.


The above is simply not true. The amount of current 2Ls with SAs lined up in ATL can be counted on one hand. Getting ATL from Alabama is realistic only if you're in the Top 15%. Hiring in ATL is still somewhat of a bloodbath and no new CSO advisor is going to change that. While Alabama is a good school with low tutition and cheap COL, you should be content with practicing in Alabama before making the decision to attend.

User avatar
LyricsToLitigation
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Has anyone decided about ASW and stuff? Us fellow TLSers should make a thing of it

ayl
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:04 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby ayl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:23 am

Still no word on scholarship info over here. Do you think I should email at this point? I was admitted mid-December.

litig8r
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:56 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby litig8r » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:16 pm

GreyFox1898 wrote:
litig8r wrote:
Marquis wrote:Checking in. Just got a call from the Dean of Admissions offering a 60k scholarship (OOS). Very excited. Bama is a bit of a legacy school for me, so I could definitely see myself going there. I'm a bit unsure about job prospects coming out, however. Should Bama grads expect to work in Alabama only after graduation? Are there any exceptions to this?

Congrats to everyone accepted so far!


I believe Alabama is pretty competitive in the Atlanta market. In fact, we were told at an admissions event that they are adding a full time coordinator to assist with placement in Atlanta.


The above is simply not true. The amount of current 2Ls with SAs lined up in ATL can be counted on one hand. Getting ATL from Alabama is realistic only if you're in the Top 15%. Hiring in ATL is still somewhat of a bloodbath and no new CSO advisor is going to change that. While Alabama is a good school with low tutition and cheap COL, you should be content with practicing in Alabama before making the decision to attend.


I certainly defer to your experience, because, as I mentioned, my information came from a recruiting event. I'm sure it was a bit biased.

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby Robbin Blue » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 pm

ayl wrote:Still no word on scholarship info over here. Do you think I should email at this point? I was admitted mid-December.


You can call, if it's worrying you. The admissions staff has been excellent to work with, in my experience.

User avatar
LyricsToLitigation
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Robbin Blue wrote:
ayl wrote:Still no word on scholarship info over here. Do you think I should email at this point? I was admitted mid-December.


You can call, if it's worrying you. The admissions staff has been excellent to work with, in my experience.


this +1 - very helpful and genuine

PAGator2014
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby PAGator2014 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:33 pm

So I received a call from Miss Becca Brady, the Assistant Dean of Admissions, asking me to call her back. I did so and she was already out of the office for the rest of the day. Is this a good sign that I was admitted?

copperboom22
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby copperboom22 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:35 pm

I applied a couple of weeks ago and my status has been at a standstill. My status reads "Application received" and is dated 1/22. All the requirements are checked off except "Code of Conduct IF APPLICABLE" and Conduct attachment received (I don't have anything even close to something that would require a statement and didn't answer yes on my application). Does Alabama go to an "Application complete" status when they have everything or should I assume that everything is fine and that I'll go under review when they get to my file? Did anyone else stay on this status for a while? All the other schools I applied to that have status checkers either have me as "File complete" or under review or some other subsequent status so I'm just wondering if I should call admissions to make sure there aren't any problems.

User avatar
zippernicus
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby zippernicus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm

PAGator2014 wrote:So I received a call from Miss Becca Brady, the Assistant Dean of Admissions, asking me to call her back. I did so and she was already out of the office for the rest of the day. Is this a good sign that I was admitted?


it was for me! I received a similar call and was admitted with scholarship $ when I returned the call. roll tide!

hopefully you'll get the good news tomorrow!

ayl
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:04 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby ayl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:50 pm

Email was a no-go, starting to think they're not offering me anything since they didn't say a word when I was admitted. A bit of a letdown considering I thought I'd at least get a small amount. I'm going to try calling tomorrow to see if that's a better way to reach them :/

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby kay2016 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:25 pm

ayl wrote:Email was a no-go, starting to think they're not offering me anything since they didn't say a word when I was admitted. A bit of a letdown considering I thought I'd at least get a small amount. I'm going to try calling tomorrow to see if that's a better way to reach them :/



Wait until later in the cycle, it worked for me last year.. Have you visited yet? Things like that help if you're really interested in coming here

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:59 pm

ayl wrote:Email was a no-go, starting to think they're not offering me anything since they didn't say a word when I was admitted. A bit of a letdown considering I thought I'd at least get a small amount. I'm going to try calling tomorrow to see if that's a better way to reach them :/


Also, I would figure out if they take June scores. A couple of points could mean big money with your gpa. Not trying to pressure you or anything, just something else to help increase the money!

ayl
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:04 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby ayl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:44 am

kay2016 wrote:
ayl wrote:Email was a no-go, starting to think they're not offering me anything since they didn't say a word when I was admitted. A bit of a letdown considering I thought I'd at least get a small amount. I'm going to try calling tomorrow to see if that's a better way to reach them :/



Wait until later in the cycle, it worked for me last year.. Have you visited yet? Things like that help if you're really interested in coming here


Not yet. It's a good 8 hour drive off (would probably take just as long flying), and taking two days off from work is hard to do right now since we're in the process of a huge effort for our charity division. I'm going to try to find a way, but it would certainly be nice to have a more sure number in my hands before asking for the leave.

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby kay2016 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:22 pm

ayl wrote:
kay2016 wrote:
ayl wrote:Email was a no-go, starting to think they're not offering me anything since they didn't say a word when I was admitted. A bit of a letdown considering I thought I'd at least get a small amount. I'm going to try calling tomorrow to see if that's a better way to reach them :/



Wait until later in the cycle, it worked for me last year.. Have you visited yet? Things like that help if you're really interested in coming here


Not yet. It's a good 8 hour drive off (would probably take just as long flying), and taking two days off from work is hard to do right now since we're in the process of a huge effort for our charity division. I'm going to try to find a way, but it would certainly be nice to have a more sure number in my hands before asking for the leave.


Understandable. I would try to find some way to go or indicate that you're truly interested. Not sure what your numbers are, but if they're competitive for scholarship they could think you're unlikely to come since you are coming from further away.

Best of luck!

PAGator2014
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby PAGator2014 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:18 pm

Accepted this morning via phone call! I must say their admissions staff is amazing, probably the most personalized acceptance I've had yet besides William and Mary!

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby AT9 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:51 pm

Were any of you recent admits part of the "pending final committee decision" group at any point?

User avatar
zippernicus
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby zippernicus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:12 pm

AT9 wrote:Were any of you recent admits part of the "pending final committee decision" group at any point?


Mine only said under committee review - no pending.... hope that helps

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby Robbin Blue » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:15 pm

I just found out I was awarded the Dean's Scholar award! Full tuition, + $$, and no real stipulations. Pretty excited! :D

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:21 pm

Robbin Blue wrote:I just found out I was awarded the Dean's Scholar award! Full tuition, + $$, and no real stipulations. Pretty excited! :D


That's awesome!! Congrats!

User avatar
wsparker
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby wsparker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Robbin Blue wrote:I just found out I was awarded the Dean's Scholar award! Full tuition, + $$, and no real stipulations. Pretty excited! :D



Congrats!!!

I am also a dean's scholar, and I'm wondering how much are you going to consider it? I am so torn!

ETA: Obviously only answer if you want to and feel free to PM me instead!

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby KatyMarie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:32 pm

Robbin Blue wrote:I just found out I was awarded the Dean's Scholar award! Full tuition, + $$, and no real stipulations. Pretty excited! :D


Congrats! I've got my interview in March. It would definitely be a tempting offer

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby Robbin Blue » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:21 pm

wsparker wrote:
Robbin Blue wrote:I just found out I was awarded the Dean's Scholar award! Full tuition, + $$, and no real stipulations. Pretty excited! :D



Congrats!!!

I am also a dean's scholar, and I'm wondering how much are you going to consider it? I am so torn!

ETA: Obviously only answer if you want to and feel free to PM me instead!


It's a really tempting offer, not going to lie. I've gotten into much better schools, but I live in Birmingham now and really do want to end up in AL/GA PI. I'm kind of hoping they'll announce the new dean soon, I think that might help my decision a little bit.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”