University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chingwoo

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Postby chingwoo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:19 pm

ayl wrote:I got my large shirt today, so I got that going for me, which is nice. :)

For other admits, did y'all already get scholarship info? I'm starting to think I didn't catch that bus.

It took me around a month to get scholarship info. Still got a pretty hefty scholarship. (75k OOS)

ayl

Postby ayl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:37 pm

chingwoo wrote:It took me around a month to get scholarship info. Still got a pretty hefty scholarship. (75k OOS)

Holy cats, congratulations! I'm out of state as well, and it's not my top choice simply because of distance from my target practice area (SC coast), but if I'm lucky to get a fair amount, it'll shoot right up. I think it's a wonderful school, just wish it wasn't an 8 hour drive off.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:38 pm

It is a moderate choice for me, would be a good contender with good money. I just wish I wasn't stuck on PFCD.

I want a T Shirt :(

AT9

Postby AT9 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Attax wrote:It is a moderate choice for me, would be a good contender with good money. I just wish I wasn't stuck on PFCD.

I want a T Shirt :(

Same here! Wonder how long before they start making decisions on PFCD people.

SparkyZZZ

Postby SparkyZZZ » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Well, they are tossing waivers and Itunes gift cards around like confetti. If a school is spending that much money to game the system on their app stats, then I would imagine they are going to wait until the last possible moment to decide on PFCDs until they get a group of applicants with the best numbers possible.

Here is my guess/analysis:

They cast a wide net and spend tons of money (itunes gift cards aren't free) to get a HUGE number of apps, but this only helps them if they accept a relatively small percentage. So, even if you have great numbers, but it appears that you are unlikely to go there (generic personal statement, no ties to the area, etc...), then they PFCD you hoping that you will withdraw. The few applicants that don't withdraw by April either are really jazzed about Alabama or they haven't been accepted at their preferred law schools, and they will subsequently quickly accept when they are admitted off of PFCD.

-Don't get me wrong, I think Alabama is a great school, but I do feel like I am kind of a numbers pawn in this situation.

kaitlyn1777

Postby kaitlyn1777 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:21 pm

ayl wrote:
chingwoo wrote:It took me around a month to get scholarship info. Still got a pretty hefty scholarship. (75k OOS)

Holy cats, congratulations! I'm out of state as well, and it's not my top choice simply because of distance from my target practice area (SC coast), but if I'm lucky to get a fair amount, it'll shoot right up. I think it's a wonderful school, just wish it wasn't an 8 hour drive off.

How did you get info on scholarships? Via email?

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 pm

If any of y'all are going to be coming to the ASW at the end of this month, feel free to PM me with any questions. I may be at some of the events and stuff for you guys as well.

litig8r

Postby litig8r » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:03 am

For what it's worth, my understanding is that Alabama will be releasing a backlog of decisions over the next several days.

Best of luck.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 am

litig8r wrote:For what it's worth, my understanding is that Alabama will be releasing a backlog of decisions over the next several days.

Best of luck.

Where did you hear that? I emailed admissions within the last couple days to ask when they may make decisions on the PFCD people like me. I submitted 4 months ago so I'm hoping for a decision soon. The only other school I'm waiting on is Emory, but at least they were straightforward enough to tell everyone that almost all decisions up to this poor won't be made until February.

Edit: their response was essentially copied and pasted from their website about rolling admissions. I'm glad some of you guys are getting great personalized attention from Bama, but I'm not seeing it...

litig8r

Postby litig8r » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:38 pm

AT9 wrote:
litig8r wrote:For what it's worth, my understanding is that Alabama will be releasing a backlog of decisions over the next several days.

Best of luck.

Where did you hear that? I emailed admissions within the last couple days to ask when they may make decisions on the PFCD people like me. I submitted 4 months ago so I'm hoping for a decision soon. The only other school I'm waiting on is Emory, but at least they were straightforward enough to tell everyone that almost all decisions up to this poor won't be made until February.

Edit: their response was essentially copied and pasted from their website about rolling admissions. I'm glad some of you guys are getting great personalized attention from Bama, but I'm not seeing it...

Just a whisper from someone in the admissions process.

Can't be very specific.

tomjones

Postby tomjones » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 am

Submitted 11/18. Been PFCD since 11/25. Anyone else out there holding out hope? This has been a tough 2 months of complete silence. Above median LSAT, < 25% GPA.

SparkyZZZ

Postby SparkyZZZ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:07 pm

tomjones wrote:Submitted 11/18. Been PFCD since 11/25. Anyone else out there holding out hope? This has been a tough 2 months of complete silence. Above median LSAT, < 25% GPA.

Tomjones, If you have ties to the area, then I think you have a good shot. However, the PFCD thing looks to be their preferred mechanism for yield protection. If you really want to go to 'Bama and don't have obvious ties, I think a LOCI might help your chances. Otherwise, hunker down and get comfy; it will be a long wait (a lot of PFCD people last year didn't hear until late April-May).

tomjones

Postby tomjones » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:56 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:
tomjones wrote:Submitted 11/18. Been PFCD since 11/25. Anyone else out there holding out hope? This has been a tough 2 months of complete silence. Above median LSAT, < 25% GPA.

Tomjones, If you have ties to the area, then I think you have a good shot. However, the PFCD thing looks to be their preferred mechanism for yield protection. If you really want to go to 'Bama and don't have obvious ties, I think a LOCI might help your chances. Otherwise, hunker down and get comfy; it will be a long wait (a lot of PFCD people last year didn't hear until late April-May).

Thanks for the reply Sparky. I'm from Mississippi, so I reckon I'll wait it out.

LyricsToLitigation

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:51 am

I see a lot of familiar faces here - Checking in!

anybody that has received accept/scholly already wanna pm for a timeline/numbers/something to gauge my wait on i'd greatly appreciate it! :-D

livefromannarbor

Postby livefromannarbor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:45 pm

So, quick question for anyone who has ever been to the Alabama campus:

For the admitted students' day this week, I will be staying at the Hotel Capstone, which appears to be a 10 minute walk from the football stadium, and it looks like I'll have time to check it out Thursday afternoon (for photos and posterity's sake - may also check out some of the UG campus depending on how much time I have). Is there any reason a 21-year-old woman would not want to walk down Paul Bryant Drive by herself? Also, if I decided to walk around the UG campus after the dinner on Thursday (so, at night), would that be a bad idea? I'd end up walking back to the hotel.

I've never been, so any thoughts would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me if we don't want to flood this thread.

Thanks!

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:48 pm

livefromannarbor wrote:So, quick question for anyone who has ever been to the Alabama campus:

For the admitted students' day this week, I will be staying at the Hotel Capstone, which appears to be a 10 minute walk from the football stadium, and it looks like I'll have time to check it out Thursday afternoon (for photos and posterity's sake - may also check out some of the UG campus depending on how much time I have). Is there any reason a 21-year-old woman would not want to walk down Paul Bryant Drive by herself? Also, if I decided to walk around the UG campus after the dinner on Thursday (so, at night), would that be a bad idea? I'd end up walking back to the hotel.

I've never been, so any thoughts would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me if we don't want to flood this thread.

Thanks!

You should be fine. Thursday night while class is in session means there will be thousands of 21-year-old-women wandering around campus. :lol: I'm staying there too; the Google reviews have me a bit worried, but I hate driving in Tuscaloosa and am willing to sleep on an uncomfortable bed in order to avoid driving everywhere.

livefromannarbor

Postby livefromannarbor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Robbin Blue wrote:
livefromannarbor wrote:So, quick question for anyone who has ever been to the Alabama campus:

Thanks!

You should be fine. Thursday night while class is in session means there will be thousands of 21-year-old-women wandering around campus. :lol: I'm staying there too; the Google reviews have me a bit worried, but I hate driving in Tuscaloosa and am willing to sleep on an uncomfortable bed in order to avoid driving everywhere.

Truth. I guess I was more worried about walking by myself back to the hotel, but it appears to be very much "on campus." I also forgot that class is in session, and I discovered that there is a bus line right at most of my destinations, so it seems great!

I avoided the Google reviews because I'm too excited to care about an uncomfortable bed, haha. The photos on the website look beautiful, though! (Can you tell I don't get out of Michigan often?)

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:34 pm

livefromannarbor wrote:
Robbin Blue wrote:

Thanks!

Truth. I guess I was more worried about walking by myself back to the hotel, but it appears to be very much "on campus." I also forgot that class is in session, and I discovered that there is a bus line right at most of my destinations, so it seems great!

I avoided the Google reviews because I'm too excited to care about an uncomfortable bed, haha. The photos on the website look beautiful, though! (Can you tell I don't get out of Michigan often?)

The hotel has been recently renovated so it should be more comfortable unless the reviews are particularly recent (less than a year)

I feel really safe on campus when I go out, I'm never on main campus during the day besides the law school building but when I've gone out I've never been worried. Tuscaloosa is safer than a lot of college towns IMO!

litig8r

Postby litig8r » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:50 pm

In @ Bama with scholarship offer via phone call.

I found the admissions office to be great throughout the process. They were very personable and friendly anytime I reached out to them.

Complete 1/06.

Roll Tide!

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Anyone go from under review to having a note at the top with under review by the admissions committee? My status date changed and I can't remember if it was just review before or adcomm before...

BLUERUFiO

Postby BLUERUFiO » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:49 pm

In today via Phone call with scholarship!

BostonFuse51

Postby BostonFuse51 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Checking in. Hopefully my late application doesn't hurt me...

samoby

Postby samoby » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:In today via Phone call with scholarship!

Congratulations!

LyricsToLitigation

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:02 am

BostonFuse51 wrote:Checking in. Hopefully my late application doesn't hurt me...

seconded lol.

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:29 pm

Checking in. Just got a call from the Dean of Admissions offering a 60k scholarship (OOS). Very excited. Bama is a bit of a legacy school for me, so I could definitely see myself going there. I'm a bit unsure about job prospects coming out, however. Should Bama grads expect to work in Alabama only after graduation? Are there any exceptions to this?

Congrats to everyone accepted so far!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”