University of Alabama c/ o 2017 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Attax

Gold

Re: University of Alabama c/ o 2017

Post by Attax » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:32 pm

AT9 wrote:I must admit that I'm a little surprised to be on the "pre-wait list" as others have called it. So if you're pending a final decision, do you really not hear back until late spring? I will have paid a deposit elsewhere by that point. How does Bama fill a class when they postpone decisions so long for people with numbers at or around the medians? Others have stated how impressed they are with the personal touch from the admissions office; it's been the opposite for me. No calls, e-mails, or anything.
I got that too. Oh well, I'm going to Texas anyway.

SparkyZZZ

Bronze

Post by SparkyZZZ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:14 pm

My gut tells me the PFCD thing is kind of their way to have their cake and eat it too; string people along while they wait for new applicants with better numbers to apply while at the same time not turning off current applicants that have solid numbers with a wait-list decision. Honestly, I would be more likely to go to a school that just wait-listed me rather than one that kept me in limbo for months and months.

At least a wait-list is a mutually acknowledged limbo, instead of the 'PFCD' pre-limbo limbo.

Savage13

New

Post by Savage13 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:40 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:My gut tells me the PFCD thing is kind of their way to have their cake and eat it too; string people along while they wait for new applicants with better numbers to apply while at the same time not turning off current applicants with solid numbers with a wait-list decision. Honestly, I would be more likely to go to a school that just wait-listed me rather than one that kept me in limbo for months and months.

At least a wait-list is a mutually acknowledged limbo, instead of the 'PFCD' pre-limbo limbo.
Agree.

Robbin Blue

Silver

Post by Robbin Blue » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:19 pm

I realized why I didn't receive my scholarship information in the mail- they sent a big portfolio through UPS with the information about interviewing for the Deans Scholar Award. It's been waiting at the office for like a month. :lol: Some pretty neat stuff in there, though.

Mizzou

New

Post by Mizzou » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Just got second LSAT score and gained several points. Have meeting with Ms. Griffith on Monday, and making application that week. Alabama has previously contacted me, waiving app fee (maybe this is very common) and encouraging me to visit.

What are others opinions? I'm visiting in AL now, but drive to interview is 4+ hours. I want to do all the right things. Do you think this interview will be helpful?

LSAT scores definitely in their range, double major from top J-school plus a foreign language major, many activities, and a highly-coveted internship in DC last summer from which I'm getting solid letters of reference.

Appreciate any and all feedback! Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Mizzou wrote:Just got second LSAT score and gained several points. Have meeting with Ms. Griffith on Monday, and making application that week. Alabama has previously contacted me, waiving app fee (maybe this is very common) and encouraging me to visit.

What are others opinions? I'm visiting in AL now, but drive to interview is 4+ hours. I want to do all the right things. Do you think this interview will be helpful?

LSAT scores definitely in their range, double major from top J-school plus a foreign language major, many activities, and a highly-coveted internship in DC last summer from which I'm getting solid letters of reference.

Appreciate any and all feedback! Thanks!
Are you asking if you will get in? Just kinda confused about what you are asking.

Mizzou

New

Post by Mizzou » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Well, yes, if anyone has opinions on my chances I'd be interested in hearing them. Also, is the interview with Ms. Griffith key? Any points I should specifically touch on in my interview? I'm interested in continuing living and practicing in AL after law school, so AL is my first choice for school.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Mizzou wrote:Well, yes, if anyone has opinions on my chances I'd be interested in hearing them. Also, is the interview with Ms. Griffith key? Any points I should specifically touch on in my interview? I'm interested in continuing living and practicing in AL after law school, so AL is my first choice for school.
To really assess your chances we need to know: numbers, residency, urm status, and if you have any significant softs/work experience. I didn't have an interview, and to be honest I didn't know they did interviews. The only interviews I have heard of are for the full ride, but that is after acceptance.

Mizzou

New

Post by Mizzou » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Can I message you that info? My interview is scheduled for Monday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Mizzou wrote:Can I message you that info? My interview is scheduled for Monday.
Of course, I'd be happy to help.

BLUERUFiO

Bronze

Post by BLUERUFiO » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Just wanted to check in. I applied to Alabama yesterday. I love their employment numbers, I hope they didn't fudge on them ;)

PAGator2014

New

Post by PAGator2014 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:04 pm

So earlier this morning I received a phone call from Miss Griffith telling me that they have received my complete application and that she would be happy to be a resource to me. I saw that other people received the same phone call from her, and I was just wondering if this was a good sign that I will be accepted or if it's just Southern hospitality? Thanks!

samoby

Bronze

Post by samoby » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 pm

PAGator2014 wrote:So earlier this morning I received a phone call from Miss Griffith telling me that they have received my complete application and that she would be happy to be a resource to me. I saw that other people received the same phone call from her, and I was just wondering if this was a good sign that I will be accepted or if it's just Southern hospitality? Thanks!
Well, I got that and was accepted with a pretty good scholarship, for whatever it's worth!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wsparker

Bronze

Post by wsparker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:24 pm

samoby wrote:
Well, I got that and was accepted with a pretty good scholarship, for whatever it's worth!

+1

PAGator2014

New

Post by PAGator2014 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:31 pm

samoby wrote:
PAGator2014 wrote:So earlier this morning I received a phone call from Miss Griffith telling me that they have received my complete application and that she would be happy to be a resource to me. I saw that other people received the same phone call from her, and I was just wondering if this was a good sign that I will be accepted or if it's just Southern hospitality? Thanks!
Thank you! After you received that call how long did it take for them to notify you of acceptance? I'm just getting anxious haha.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:41 pm

Completely anecdotal, but I think you'll likely be accepted. I was placed in the ominous 'Pending Final Committee Decision' pool, and never received any such call. So I am sure the outright dings did not either. You're likely in good shape. Good luck!

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:42 pm

FWIW: I did get that call as well. I was accepted, but haven't heard of any scholarship information yet. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zaffy

New

Post by Zaffy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 pm

I also got the "happy to be a resource" call a few weeks ago. Stuck at PFCD.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Zaffy wrote:I also got the "happy to be a resource" call a few weeks ago. Stuck at PFCD.
Bummer, well nevermind... I suppose this is why we know better than to trust anecdotal information! :lol:

To some degree, I still think it is a good sign that you received a call. Guess we'll see.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Zaffy wrote:I also got the "happy to be a resource" call a few weeks ago. Stuck at PFCD.
Me too. Thought it would be a good sign.

zippernicus

Bronze

Post by zippernicus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi, checking in! Good luck all :)

And a question - I submitted a few days ago and have not received an "application received" or status checker info email from Alabama? Is this the norm or should I possibly email them? I received some sort of acknowledgement from everywhere else I applied within 24 hours....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:41 pm

zippernicus wrote:Hi, checking in! Good luck all :)

And a question - I submitted a few days ago and have not received an "application received" or status checker info email from Alabama? Is this the norm or should I possibly email them? I received some sort of acknowledgement from everywhere else I applied within 24 hours....
Mine took 5 dayts

zippernicus

Bronze

Post by zippernicus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Attax wrote:
Mine took 5 dayts
awesome - thanks! i feel a bit better now.

wsparker

Bronze

Post by wsparker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:27 pm

By the way, I recently visited and met with tons of people (professors, current students, CSO people, etc...) so if you want any info or have any questions about the scholarship interview, just PM me! Overall, I had a great experience and Alabama will definitely be in my top choices if I do get the scholarship.

ayl

Bronze

Post by ayl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:06 pm

I got my large shirt today, so I got that going for me, which is nice. :)

For other admits, did y'all already get scholarship info? I'm starting to think I didn't catch that bus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”