Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:47 am

Yazzzay wrote:
doge wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So to anyone who has submitted a LOCI, did you get a response of receipt?


I haven't sent one yet but looking at previous forums they tend to send one. It might be a bit delayed however.


Still haven't gotten a response...hopefully I will soon, thanks!


I sent one after my feb LSAT score was reported and never got a confirmation that it was received. If you want to confirm you can email and ask. Maybe send a read receipt with your email?

dobie1
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby dobie1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Def won't make tonight's dinner for ASD. Huge crash on i75N...haven't even gotten into ATL traffic yet!

User avatar
doge
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby doge » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Just did the Student Visitor day today, really pretty campus and the program looks to be great!

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby njdevils2626 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:57 pm

acc123 wrote:Does a place like this interest a group of us? Guys preferred but not a deal breaker...

5 bedrooms with three bath and a nice porch and kitchen

--LinkRemoved--

Seems like there is a lot of space pretty close to campus and looks clean. I think we can negotiate that price down a solid amount, because rent estimates for the area rate it much lower than $3,000.

Not trying to have it become a party house (I lived in a fraternity house for a couple years), because ideally I want to get good grades but I feel like if it is all 1Ls then exam schedules will line up for the most part so it shouldn't be that bad.

Send me a message and I can add you on facebook and I can see if you're weird and you can backstalk me and see if I'm weird also.

I'm almost certain I will be attending Emory in the fall, see you guys this weekend in Atlanta


I'm choosing between WUSTL and Emory right now (though still waiting on some reach school decisions) but if I end up at Emory something like this would be what I'm looking to do too so I'd almost definitely be interested!

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kanye West » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 pm

Going to drive around Emory/ATL tonight if anyone wants to joyride along.

Buck Strickland
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Buck Strickland » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Kanye West wrote:Going to drive around Emory/ATL tonight if anyone wants to joyride along.


On a related note, I'm about to eat in the hotel restaurant. I'll be wearing a purple button down and probably reading a book.

pauly_biegler
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby pauly_biegler » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:16 pm

had an amazing visit this weekend. I'll be depositing next week I believe.

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kanye West » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:31 pm

BBQ sealed the deal. On the prowl for roomies.

STLtoATL
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:34 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby STLtoATL » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:59 pm

That Mac and Cheese was on point.

acc123
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby acc123 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm

I thought I would be locked up on Emory after this weekend but I was a little disappointed honestly. I thought their facilities were kinda lacking and the whole building seemed gloomy and old... Obviously that can't be the deciding factor but just something I felt when I was there.

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 pm

It wasn't the school that disappointed me, but it was the city. Atlanta kinda sucks compared to where I am coming from.

User avatar
wsparker
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby wsparker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:34 pm

I don't know where you are coming from/what you are looking for, but Atlanta has a lot to offer. It has several distinct neighborhoods (midtown, buckhead, Brookhaven, Inman park, highlands, west side, little five, etc) that most people can usually find an area that fits them the best. Again, I have no idea how far you ventured from Emory, but Atlanta is way more than just that area. Personally, I enjoy that area, but it is definitely not my favorite. Not trying to sell you on Emory, but i wouldn't judge atlanta on one weekend, especially if you only stayed near the school.

LSATobsessed
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby LSATobsessed » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Did the ECC hotel charge everybody $20 or was it just me? I know I told them that $10 for parking was okay. But they charged $20.

LawGirl7
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby LawGirl7 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:34 pm

I enjoyed Emory's Admitted Student's Day (I was only there on Saturday). I thought it was a little more dry and factual than some of the other colleges I visited, but every student I spoke with seemed to think their job prospects were pretty good, even outside of the top 15%. Not to sound like a radical feminist or anything, but I felt that there was definitely a lack in female faculty presence. The only females were non-professors like the student body president and the financial aid advisers. Almost 50% of their faculty is female, so I was surprised. The classroom my mock class was held in definitely needed redone. But I liked the auditorium and all the natural light in their library. I was looking forward to the weekend to impress me enough that I would 100% commit. I'm about 85% there, but it just wasn't that impressive. But I think the ranking and location in a major city in the southeast is still able to overcome any reservations I still have.

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kanye West » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:45 pm

LawGirl7 wrote:I enjoyed Emory's Admitted Student's Day (I was only there on Saturday). I thought it was a little more dry and factual than some of the other colleges I visited, but every student I spoke with seemed to think their job prospects were pretty good, even outside of the top 15%. Not to sound like a radical feminist or anything, but I felt that there was definitely a lack in female faculty presence. The only females were non-professors like the student body president and the financial aid advisers. Almost 50% of their faculty is female, so I was surprised. The classroom my mock class was held in definitely needed redone. But I liked the auditorium and all the natural light in their library. I was looking forward to the weekend to impress me enough that I would 100% commit. I'm about 85% there, but it just wasn't that impressive. But I think the ranking and location in a major city in the southeast is still able to overcome any reservations I still have.


I had sessions with Rector and Carter, both female professors, for what it's worth (to you).

User avatar
wsparker
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby wsparker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:47 am

LawGirl7 wrote:I enjoyed Emory's Admitted Student's Day (I was only there on Saturday). I thought it was a little more dry and factual than some of the other colleges I visited, but every student I spoke with seemed to think their job prospects were pretty good, even outside of the top 15%. Not to sound like a radical feminist or anything, but I felt that there was definitely a lack in female faculty presence. The only females were non-professors like the student body president and the financial aid advisers. Almost 50% of their faculty is female, so I was surprised. The classroom my mock class was held in definitely needed redone. But I liked the auditorium and all the natural light in their library. I was looking forward to the weekend to impress me enough that I would 100% commit. I'm about 85% there, but it just wasn't that impressive. But I think the ranking and location in a major city in the southeast is still able to overcome any reservations I still have.



Both of these! It wasn't nearly as fun (or at least social) as some other ones, which made it hard for me tell if I would be comfortable there. The rooms were very underwhelming, obviously not a deciding factor, but I also didn't like that there weren't windows in any of the ones that I saw.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby runinthefront » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:56 am

.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

acc123
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby acc123 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:53 am

LawGirl7 wrote:I enjoyed Emory's Admitted Student's Day (I was only there on Saturday). I thought it was a little more dry and factual than some of the other colleges I visited, but every student I spoke with seemed to think their job prospects were pretty good, even outside of the top 15%. Not to sound like a radical feminist or anything, but I felt that there was definitely a lack in female faculty presence. The only females were non-professors like the student body president and the financial aid advisers. Almost 50% of their faculty is female, so I was surprised. The classroom my mock class was held in definitely needed redone. But I liked the auditorium and all the natural light in their library. I was looking forward to the weekend to impress me enough that I would 100% commit. I'm about 85% there, but it just wasn't that impressive. But I think the ranking and location in a major city in the southeast is still able to overcome any reservations I still have.


Exactly how I felt about the infrastructure and my committal. Do you think the ranking is that important/would you still be considering them if they hadn't jumped from like 23 to 19/would you care if they went back to 23 or worse?

User avatar
thevuch
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby thevuch » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:31 am

ok so has anyone tried scholly negotiations?

acc123
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby acc123 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:38 am

thevuch wrote:ok so has anyone tried scholly negotiations?


Not yet, waiting on "final" offer from WashU before I even try, but from what I hear they really don't do it that often. Would really appreciate any info from anyone who got bumped up though...

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby KatyMarie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:31 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:It wasn't the school that disappointed me, but it was the city. Atlanta kinda sucks compared to where I am coming from.


Hard to judge an entire city on a one-day visit to a small part of it... :lol: The area around Emory definitely doesn't suit everyone, but there are a ton of different neighborhoods/park areas that are MUCH different from the Toco Hills/Briarcliff/Decatur area. If you decide to matriculate at Emory, I'd be happy to point you in a direction in Atlanta based on interests/culture/etc.

Like if I were to pick Emory, I'd definitely be commuting from O4W, because this neighborhood suits me better than the area around Emory. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right park/neighborhood/community etc.

dobie1
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby dobie1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Just wanted to chime in that I enjoyed this past weekend. I have my shitty gps to thank for this actually...it has a habit of directing me off the beaten path, and I ended up seeing some pretty eclectic/interesting parts of town.

I'm around 90% sure Emory is the school for me, definitely putting a deposit down.

I've already looked on the housing website, but if any of y'all can recommend a landlord or something that would be great. I have a dog, so I need a place with a fenced in yard. I'm not opposed to one of those converted house-style apartments either (given that it is fenced)...any advice? Oh, and if any girls out there are looking for a roommate (and you don't mind living with a big, cuddly dog...or a cat who will happily exterminate palmetto bugs and other vile vermin), send me a pm :D

LawGirl7
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby LawGirl7 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:19 pm

acc123 wrote:
LawGirl7 wrote:I enjoyed Emory's Admitted Student's Day (I was only there on Saturday). I thought it was a little more dry and factual than some of the other colleges I visited, but every student I spoke with seemed to think their job prospects were pretty good, even outside of the top 15%. Not to sound like a radical feminist or anything, but I felt that there was definitely a lack in female faculty presence. The only females were non-professors like the student body president and the financial aid advisers. Almost 50% of their faculty is female, so I was surprised. The classroom my mock class was held in definitely needed redone. But I liked the auditorium and all the natural light in their library. I was looking forward to the weekend to impress me enough that I would 100% commit. I'm about 85% there, but it just wasn't that impressive. But I think the ranking and location in a major city in the southeast is still able to overcome any reservations I still have.


Exactly how I felt about the infrastructure and my committal. Do you think the ranking is that important/would you still be considering them if they hadn't jumped from like 23 to 19/would you care if they went back to 23 or worse?


Honestly, I'm kind of in a weird situation, so I don't think those four spots would have mattered that much to me. I want to work in the southeast (especially Florida, but I wouldn't pass up another good opportunity in Atlanta, NYC, etc.). I've been accepted to other schools comparable to Emory like Minnesota, William and Mary, and Alabama, but I think Emory is my best chance for a decent paying job in Florida/the southeast. My next highest choices are UF and FSU and they are so much further down the rankings that 3 or 4 positions of movement for Emory don't make that much of a difference in comparison.

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kanye West » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:41 pm

LawGirl7 wrote:
acc123 wrote:
LawGirl7 wrote:I enjoyed Emory's Admitted Student's Day (I was only there on Saturday). I thought it was a little more dry and factual than some of the other colleges I visited, but every student I spoke with seemed to think their job prospects were pretty good, even outside of the top 15%. Not to sound like a radical feminist or anything, but I felt that there was definitely a lack in female faculty presence. The only females were non-professors like the student body president and the financial aid advisers. Almost 50% of their faculty is female, so I was surprised. The classroom my mock class was held in definitely needed redone. But I liked the auditorium and all the natural light in their library. I was looking forward to the weekend to impress me enough that I would 100% commit. I'm about 85% there, but it just wasn't that impressive. But I think the ranking and location in a major city in the southeast is still able to overcome any reservations I still have.


Exactly how I felt about the infrastructure and my committal. Do you think the ranking is that important/would you still be considering them if they hadn't jumped from like 23 to 19/would you care if they went back to 23 or worse?


Honestly, I'm kind of in a weird situation, so I don't think those four spots would have mattered that much to me. I want to work in the southeast (especially Florida, but I wouldn't pass up another good opportunity in Atlanta, NYC, etc.). I've been accepted to other schools comparable to Emory like Minnesota, William and Mary, and Alabama, but I think Emory is my best chance for a decent paying job in Florida/the southeast. My next highest choices are UF and FSU and they are so much further down the rankings that 3 or 4 positions of movement for Emory don't make that much of a difference in comparison.


After speaking to a few students (some on the Hispanic/Latin Society), more than a few mentioned they'd be going to Miami. I asked why not go to FSU/UF, and they jokingly said, "haven't you heard, Emory is the best school in Florida."

LawGirl7
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby LawGirl7 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Kanye West wrote:
LawGirl7 wrote:
acc123 wrote:
LawGirl7 wrote:I enjoyed Emory's Admitted Student's Day (I was only there on Saturday). I thought it was a little more dry and factual than some of the other colleges I visited, but every student I spoke with seemed to think their job prospects were pretty good, even outside of the top 15%. Not to sound like a radical feminist or anything, but I felt that there was definitely a lack in female faculty presence. The only females were non-professors like the student body president and the financial aid advisers. Almost 50% of their faculty is female, so I was surprised. The classroom my mock class was held in definitely needed redone. But I liked the auditorium and all the natural light in their library. I was looking forward to the weekend to impress me enough that I would 100% commit. I'm about 85% there, but it just wasn't that impressive. But I think the ranking and location in a major city in the southeast is still able to overcome any reservations I still have.


Exactly how I felt about the infrastructure and my committal. Do you think the ranking is that important/would you still be considering them if they hadn't jumped from like 23 to 19/would you care if they went back to 23 or worse?


Honestly, I'm kind of in a weird situation, so I don't think those four spots would have mattered that much to me. I want to work in the southeast (especially Florida, but I wouldn't pass up another good opportunity in Atlanta, NYC, etc.). I've been accepted to other schools comparable to Emory like Minnesota, William and Mary, and Alabama, but I think Emory is my best chance for a decent paying job in Florida/the southeast. My next highest choices are UF and FSU and they are so much further down the rankings that 3 or 4 positions of movement for Emory don't make that much of a difference in comparison.


After speaking to a few students (some on the Hispanic/Latin Society), more than a few mentioned they'd be going to Miami. I asked why not go to FSU/UF, and they jokingly said, "haven't you heard, Emory is the best school in Florida."


I was talking to the kid that was the head of the Real Estate law club from the student panel when I saw him at the ice cream social and he said the same thing to me too! It seems like they bring up a lot of Florida firms to Emory for recruitment (especially firms in Orlando, Tampa, and Miami). At UF, it seems like they just kind of rely on you to reach out to their alumni base to find a job. It's kind of sad that Florida is well on its way to becoming the 3rd largest state and only two of their law schools barely crack the top 50. :/




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, sonyco and 12 guests