Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ze2151

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby ze2151 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Will try to answer your questions, itachiuchiha.

1. I wouldn't say the ECC is better than the Courtyard in Decatur. In particular, if you are put up in Decatur, you can take advantage of being right in the heart of my very favorite part of Atlanta. Courtyard Decatur is walking distance to Brick Store, Twains, Harbor, Square Pub, Mac McGee's, Marlay House, Iberian Pig, Chai Pani, Farm Burger, Burnt Fork, etc... Tie one on with your new friends after the accepted students day! That's what I'd do anyway. ECC is also nice and right near Emory Point, which has some neat places to go as well. Bottom line, it's Atlanta. Wherever you are, explore. You'll find great stuff. As to the transportation issue, I can personally attest that Emory will make transportation effortless for you if you're in Decatur. I have driven vans for this event in the past. You will be taken care of. ECC is walking distance from the law school, sure. But it's still a mile or so. I bet people will be shuttled there too. Downtown Decatur is 2 miles away from the law school. Wherever you end up, it won't be Timbuktu.

2. I doubt anyone will get on your case if you don't read up for the sample classes. It's your weekend. They obviously want you to come. Have fun first and foremost.

3. Dress code. Comfortable means, wear whatever you want to wear. Be comfortable. Again, this weekend is about you. I wouldn't wear anything with bad words written on it. I wouldn't wear pajamas. But jeans are totally fine. I'd say a dress shirt is more than fine. If it were me going to these events, I'd be wearing a solid tee shirt, either jeans or nice shorts, and loafers or something. Can't go wrong.

Feel free to ask me anything about the upcoming weekend if you have additional questions.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:45 pm

ze2151 wrote:Will try to answer your questions, itachiuchiha.

1. I wouldn't say the ECC is better than the Courtyard in Decatur. In particular, if you are put up in Decatur, you can take advantage of being right in the heart of my very favorite part of Atlanta. Courtyard Decatur is walking distance to Brick Store, Twains, Harbor, Square Pub, Mac McGee's, Marlay House, Iberian Pig, Chai Pani, Farm Burger, Burnt Fork, etc... Tie one on with your new friends after the accepted students day! That's what I'd do anyway. ECC is also nice and right near Emory Point, which has some neat places to go as well. Bottom line, it's Atlanta. Wherever you are, explore. You'll find great stuff. As to the transportation issue, I can personally attest that Emory will make transportation effortless for you if you're in Decatur. I have driven vans for this event in the past. You will be taken care of. ECC is walking distance from the law school, sure. But it's still a mile or so. I bet people will be shuttled there too. Downtown Decatur is 2 miles away from the law school. Wherever you end up, it won't be Timbuktu.

2. I doubt anyone will get on your case if you don't read up for the sample classes. It's your weekend. They obviously want you to come. Have fun first and foremost.

3. Dress code. Comfortable means, wear whatever you want to wear. Be comfortable. Again, this weekend is about you. I wouldn't wear anything with bad words written on it. I wouldn't wear pajamas. But jeans are totally fine. I'd say a dress shirt is more than fine. If it were me going to these events, I'd be wearing a solid tee shirt, either jeans or nice shorts, and loafers or something. Can't go wrong.

Feel free to ask me anything about the upcoming weekend if you have additional questions.

They weren't really questions, just some updates. The only question was the dress code question, which you've answered. thank you

bcoco9292

Postby bcoco9292 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:21 am

priority waitlist!!!

writeon13

Postby writeon13 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:08 pm

bcoco9292 wrote:priority waitlist!!!

SAME HERE! yay :)

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:23 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:********************VISITING DAY UPDATE********************

VISITING DAY WEBSITE: http://www.law.emory.edu/index.php?id=6830
VISITING DAY PROGRAM: http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/NEWWEBSITE/Admission/VisitingDay2014program__singles.pdf

1. So it seems that Emory has ran out of hotel rooms for students in the Emory Conference Center Hotel (this is just speculation) but according to the visiting day website, people are now only able to get rooms in Courtyard by Marriott Atlanta. I was luckily able to get the room at ECCH which is better IMO because I hear that the activity thing that they have planned on Friday Night is walking distance away from the ECCH Hotel. I am not sure how far Courtyards is from the thing. ECCH is a 4 star hotel and I'm not sure how many stars Marriott is.

2. Visiting day's schedule is up and can be seen here: http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/NEWWEBSITE/Admission/VisitingDay2014schedule.pdf

3. Apparently we have cases to read for the Law School 101 part of the visiting day event. This is from the visiting day website:

Visiting Day Law School 101 Cases

Students with a last name starting with A—F: Professor Alexander: Download case >>
Students with a last name starting with G-M: Professor Freer: Download case >>
Students with a last name starting with N-Z: Dean Schapiro: Download case >>

4. Apparently after I registered for visiting day, the thing said that the dress code was: comfortable. Does anybody have a clue what that means? What will you all be wearing? And for those of you who are going to the cookoff on Friday Night, what will you wear to that? On the top of the visiting day schedule, it says that the dress is casual for all events. Is a dress shirt and jeans okay?

We have to stay for the entire day to be able to pick up our $75 gift card at around 3:45pm

I look forward to getting to meet some of you :)

Thanks for the update.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:28 pm

my pleasure :)

dobie1

Postby dobie1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:50 pm

Just tried to book at Courtyard, and the lady on the phone said all their rooms are taken...about to contact Emory to see what they can do. May just stay with family if I'll have to pay lol

eta: if you haven't booked a room yet, hurry up and contact Dean Rosenzweig so he can get it sorted out for you. He was very prompt and helpful!

The Dark Kite

Postby The Dark Kite » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:35 pm

What is a priority wait list.

zckim5

Postby zckim5 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:23 am

bcoco9292 wrote:priority waitlist!!!

Me too!

Ally Mcbeal

Postby Ally Mcbeal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:31 am

Just Withdrew off waitlist. good luck to those of you who plan to wait it out!!

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 am

dobie1 wrote:Just tried to book at Courtyard, and the lady on the phone said all their rooms are taken...about to contact Emory to see what they can do. May just stay with family if I'll have to pay lol

eta: if you haven't booked a room yet, hurry up and contact Dean Rosenzweig so he can get it sorted out for you. He was very prompt and helpful!

Did he manage to get you a room in courtyards?

dobie1

Postby dobie1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:12 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
dobie1 wrote:Just tried to book at Courtyard, and the lady on the phone said all their rooms are taken...about to contact Emory to see what they can do. May just stay with family if I'll have to pay lol

Did he manage to get you a room in courtyards?

Yes he did. I think the block they reserved there filled, so when I put the code in, it did not work. There were still other rooms available though, so my guess is he had to contact them directly and add another room to the group.

On another note...we have family in the area, and my mom decided to tag along so she can see them while we're there. Is it ok that I put her down as attending, but that she will probably only come to the food part? I saw the itinerary, and it looks like guests are allowed to other events, but I don't think she would care to be there, tbh.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:34 am

got the ASD logistics email this morning.

whose going to the thing on Friday night?

nightshade

Postby nightshade » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Hey guys, first post here. Just wanted to say that if you're going this weekend and still need a hotel, you should contact Ethan Rosenzweig the assistant dean. He can hook you up pretty quickly, and he's super nice. Although if you're bringing guests, I think don't think Emory pays for their hotel rooms.

acc123

Postby acc123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Does a place like this interest a group of us? Guys preferred but not a deal breaker...

5 bedrooms with three bath and a nice porch and kitchen

--LinkRemoved--

Seems like there is a lot of space pretty close to campus and looks clean. I think we can negotiate that price down a solid amount, because rent estimates for the area rate it much lower than $3,000.

Not trying to have it become a party house (I lived in a fraternity house for a couple years), because ideally I want to get good grades but I feel like if it is all 1Ls then exam schedules will line up for the most part so it shouldn't be that bad.

Send me a message and I can add you on facebook and I can see if you're weird and you can backstalk me and see if I'm weird also.

I'm almost certain I will be attending Emory in the fall, see you guys this weekend in Atlanta

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:57 pm

acc123 wrote:Does a place like this interest a group of us? Guys preferred but not a deal breaker...

5 bedrooms with three bath and a nice porch and kitchen

--LinkRemoved--

Seems like there is a lot of space pretty close to campus and looks clean. I think we can negotiate that price down a solid amount, because rent estimates for the area rate it much lower than $3,000.

Not trying to have it become a party house (I lived in a fraternity house for a couple years), because ideally I want to get good grades but I feel like if it is all 1Ls then exam schedules will line up for the most part so it shouldn't be that bad.

Send me a message and I can add you on facebook and I can see if you're weird and you can backstalk me and see if I'm weird also.

I'm almost certain I will be attending Emory in the fall, see you guys this weekend in Atlanta

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:30 pm

So to anyone who has submitted a LOCI, did you get a response of receipt?

doge

Postby doge » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 am

Yazzzay wrote:So to anyone who has submitted a LOCI, did you get a response of receipt?

I haven't sent one yet but looking at previous forums they tend to send one. It might be a bit delayed however.

goldgirl786

Postby goldgirl786 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 am

So, sorry for my ignorance, but what is the difference between priority WL and regular WL?! Slash if I'm on the regular WL, the chances are pretty slim, huh? Holdin on by a thread, but I may need to cut that thread lol

Buck Strickland

Postby Buck Strickland » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:56 pm

I'm really excited about Freer giving a class during ASW. I have friends in several law schools all over the country and they all say they would have done horribly in Civ Pro if it weren't for Freer's book and Barbri lectures. We're all really lucky to have him as a resource.

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:02 am

Buck Strickland wrote:I'm really excited about Freer giving a class during ASW. I have friends in several law schools all over the country and they all say they would have done horribly in Civ Pro if it weren't for Freer's book and Barbri lectures. We're all really lucky to have him as a resource.

The legal case for his ASW class was hilarious.

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:05 am

I won't be able to make the ASD this weekend because I'm taking a last minute trip out of town. Think I should email the Dean directly to cancel since that's where all the info about it has come from? Have fun! If you guys want any recommendations of where to go out in Atlanta afterwards, let me know :P The area directly around Emory is generally pretty boring in terms of nightlife imo.

Buck Strickland

Postby Buck Strickland » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 am

Kanye West wrote:
Buck Strickland wrote:I'm really excited about Freer giving a class during ASW. I have friends in several law schools all over the country and they all say they would have done horribly in Civ Pro if it weren't for Freer's book and Barbri lectures. We're all really lucky to have him as a resource.

The legal case for his ASW class was hilarious.

I'll be in his class, but I haven't read the case yet. I assume I'll see you in class...?

I'm going to miss the events on Friday (probably won't get to the Hotel until about 9:00 that night), but is anyone planning on hanging out in town? We'll probably want to be functional the next morning, but meeting up seems like a fun idea.

HRomanus

Postby HRomanus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Does anyone know why Emory estimates the cost for books to be so high? The website lists it at $4,300 per year, which is twice as much as much as I've seen quoted elsewhere.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:04 am

doge wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So to anyone who has submitted a LOCI, did you get a response of receipt?

I haven't sent one yet but looking at previous forums they tend to send one. It might be a bit delayed however.

Still haven't gotten a response...hopefully I will soon, thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”