Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
mes10d
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby mes10d » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Has anyone visited during one of the tuesday or thursday info sessions? In a confirmation email I got today, it said that Dean Rosenzweig would like to say hi, so I should stop by. I'm really looking forward to that, but am kind of nervous (because I am occasionally an awkward person). Does anyone have any similar experiences they'd like to share? Feel free to pm me. Thanks!

On that note, very much looking forward to touring Emory. My best friend showed me around Atlanta today and it was pretty awesome.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 pm

.
Last edited by SplitMyPants on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlaw08
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby mlaw08 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:09 pm

So does Emory not use a status checker like other schools? I also just received an email from them confirming that they've received my Need Based Application and they've assigned me with an EMPL ID #....they also ended the email with saying how they look forward to forging a relationship with me....does this mean I have been accepted?

Chawlston
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Chawlston » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:44 pm

mlaw08 wrote:So does Emory not use a status checker like other schools? I also just received an email from them confirming that they've received my Need Based Application and they've assigned me with an EMPL ID #....they also ended the email with saying how they look forward to forging a relationship with me....does this mean I have been accepted?



Came here to ask the same thing. Also received an EMPL ID #, but haven't heard a word on whether I'm admitted or dinged.

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Kanye West » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 pm

No, they do not use a status checker. From my experience, the need-based email doesn't mean acceptance. The only thing that means acceptance, is a fat envelope with "CONGRATULATIONS" printed on it.

Good luck and god speed.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Yazzzay » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:36 am

Chawlston wrote:
mlaw08 wrote:So does Emory not use a status checker like other schools? I also just received an email from them confirming that they've received my Need Based Application and they've assigned me with an EMPL ID #....they also ended the email with saying how they look forward to forging a relationship with me....does this mean I have been accepted?



Came here to ask the same thing. Also received an EMPL ID #, but haven't heard a word on whether I'm admitted or dinged.



I got that too! I'm confused. It obviously didn't say anything about an acceptance but it sounded like you were in...did anyone email asking what it is?

OOPS I tried logging on to OPUS and it didn't let me on so I guess the email means nothing haha?

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:36 am

I don't know why everyone here is so scared to call and ask for your status. I called almost every other day and they told me exactly what my status was. And when I called and they had a decision, the lady on the line emailed me my decision while she was still on the line. Sometimes you get a lot more in life if you just ask... What's the worst that can happen?

User avatar
hollybrianna
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:12 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby hollybrianna » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 am

Yazzzay wrote:
Chawlston wrote:
mlaw08 wrote:So does Emory not use a status checker like other schools? I also just received an email from them confirming that they've received my Need Based Application and they've assigned me with an EMPL ID #....they also ended the email with saying how they look forward to forging a relationship with me....does this mean I have been accepted?



Came here to ask the same thing. Also received an EMPL ID #, but haven't heard a word on whether I'm admitted or dinged.



I got that too! I'm confused. It obviously didn't say anything about an acceptance but it sounded like you were in...did anyone email asking what it is?

OOPS I tried logging on to OPUS and it didn't let me on so I guess the email means nothing haha?


Got this this morning too--I will probably call later this morning to see what that is about...

User avatar
hollybrianna
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:12 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby hollybrianna » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 am

Yazzzay wrote:
Chawlston wrote:
mlaw08 wrote:So does Emory not use a status checker like other schools? I also just received an email from them confirming that they've received my Need Based Application and they've assigned me with an EMPL ID #....they also ended the email with saying how they look forward to forging a relationship with me....does this mean I have been accepted?



Came here to ask the same thing. Also received an EMPL ID #, but haven't heard a word on whether I'm admitted or dinged.



I got that too! I'm confused. It obviously didn't say anything about an acceptance but it sounded like you were in...did anyone email asking what it is?

OOPS I tried logging on to OPUS and it didn't let me on so I guess the email means nothing haha?


Not necessarily... When i got in to Maryland (a Friday) they emailed saying I was in and then to set up a UMID. I went to do that on Saturday and couldn't. On the following Monday, I was able to. I think the log-in systems rely on updates from the IT department and server being refreshed.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:07 am

got the same financial aid email...

sunnyd101
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:51 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby sunnyd101 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:53 am

Did anyone who has not yet received a decision not receive the email? That might help us figure out its significance. Also, has anyone called yet?

User avatar
dwalt1
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:55 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby dwalt1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 am

sunnyd101 wrote:Did anyone who has not yet received a decision not receive the email? That might help us figure out its significance. Also, has anyone called yet?


I received the fin aid email last night, and called this morning. The woman I spoke to said a decision has been made on my file, and I should be expecting something in the mail "soon". I am hoping this means no waitlist/deny but we'll see...

Moneytrees
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Moneytrees » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 am

I called. They said that no official decision has been made, but that my application review was in its "final stages". Who knows what all of this means. I'm guessing that we should have more information on that financial email by the end of the day.

goldgirl786
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby goldgirl786 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 am

Got the same email...logged into OPUS, BUT I believe I was only able to because as an alum, I still have access to OPUS. However, when I did log in, under "Admissions" there was an option for Emory Law, and when I clicked on View Decision Letter, it said it was unavailable.

I called Admissions, and they said a decision has been made, and it will be conveyed by the end of the week--so I'm not sure if i'll be able to view it on OPUS then, or if i'll have to wait for snail mail.

Don't know what to expect...

bcoco9292
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby bcoco9292 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 am

I called and they told me my application is in it's final stage and I should hear by the end of the week. Not sure how to take that!

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 am

the day I called and my app was in the final stage, my decision actually was mailed out on that same day.
but thats just me

Moneytrees
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Moneytrees » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:57 am

itachiuchiha wrote:the day I called and my app was in the final stage, my decision actually was mailed out on that same day.
but thats just me



Did you receive the finaid email as well? Did you get in? I'm really curious as to why they would send that out.

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:58 am

Moneytrees wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:the day I called and my app was in the final stage, my decision actually was mailed out on that same day.
but thats just me



Did you receive the finaid email as well? Did you get in? I'm really curious as to why they would send that out.



that FINAID email was sent because you probably sent your FAFSA to them. I did this and they had sent me a FINAID email to acknowledge receipt of my FAFSA, however, they did not have a decision on my file even after I received that email.

amh
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:58 am

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby amh » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am

itachiuchiha wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:the day I called and my app was in the final stage, my decision actually was mailed out on that same day.
but thats just me



Did you receive the finaid email as well? Did you get in? I'm really curious as to why they would send that out.



that FINAID email was sent because you probably sent your FAFSA to them. I did this and they had sent me a FINAID email to acknowledge receipt of my FAFSA, however, they did not have a decision on my file even after I received that email.


I sent them my FAFSA back in Feb. I haven't received this email. Should I contact them about it?

User avatar
pompoms
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby pompoms » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am

Withdrew today without a decision - good luck everyone!

Moneytrees
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Moneytrees » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:03 am

itachiuchiha wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:the day I called and my app was in the final stage, my decision actually was mailed out on that same day.
but thats just me



Did you receive the finaid email as well? Did you get in? I'm really curious as to why they would send that out.



that FINAID email was sent because you probably sent your FAFSA to them. I did this and they had sent me a FINAID email to acknowledge receipt of my FAFSA, however, they did not have a decision on my file even after I received that email.


But why would they assign a financial advisor and state that they look forward to "building a rewarding relationship with you" if they aren't going to offer you admission? I understand that the email doesn't mean anything, but the wording certainly implies that you've been admitted/will be admitted.

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:03 am

Guys, I wouldn't stress too much about receiving that Financial Aid email.

I sent in my FAFSA, got the email. But i also got in (but weeks after getting that email)

Let's not confuse correlation for causation.

But if you aren't able to sleep at night, just call and ask. It can't hurt.

EmoryAdmissionDean
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby EmoryAdmissionDean » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:25 am

Hi TLS readers - this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the dean of admission and financial aid, at Emory Law. With the admission cycle very active right now, I wanted to answer a few questions, and I'll communicate a longer message soon.

Financial Aid Email - we performed an applicant upload last night with the university financial system (the law school admission database is on a separate server), so that will trigger an acknowledgement of a submitted FAFSA. Admission decisions are communicated independently.

Admission Decisions - I just dropped off another round of admission packages to our mail house yesterday, and we intend to have all decisions communicated by March 31. If you have not heard from us by April 1st, please send an email to jdadmission(at)emory.edu.

Waitlist - we will be emailing waitlist invitations over the next few days as well; I'll post a longer note about our waitlist process here as well.

Don't be afraid to send us a message at jdadmisison(at)emory.edu with any questions that may come up. I know how stressful this time of year can be, and we are committed to providing you the individual information you deserve. Thanks!

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:27 am

^^^ Thank you Dean, :)

Seems I was right

jacketyellow
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby jacketyellow » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks Dean. I'm just so nervous right now as this is my first choice.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”