University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby cricketlove00 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:25 pm

tampadave wrote:I already mentioned that my daughter received a $20,000 per year offer from Miami the week before seat deposits were due. During that same period, FIU upped her scholarship offer from $47,000 to $69,500 (additional $7,500 per year) along with multiple calls from the Dean.

She is still going to Miami. Not even a close decision.


I know that I'm not part of this thread at all, but I just happened to read this. You must have lots of money because I would've picked FIU and never looked back.

yoda8301
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby yoda8301 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:53 am

any wait list movement?

User avatar
Jmart082
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Jmart082 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:00 pm

yoda8301 wrote:any wait list movement?

^THIS. FIU accepted me from the waitlist after a week. I'm hoping the U does something similar.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Fri May 02, 2014 12:21 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
tampadave wrote:I already mentioned that my daughter received a $20,000 per year offer from Miami the week before seat deposits were due. During that same period, FIU upped her scholarship offer from $47,000 to $69,500 (additional $7,500 per year) along with multiple calls from the Dean.

She is still going to Miami. Not even a close decision.


I know that I'm not part of this thread at all, but I just happened to read this. You must have lots of money because I would've picked FIU and never looked back.


But dat inner-Miami preftige, bro!

Sounds like only a $9,500 difference though, all joking aside. UM is worth $9,500 more than FIU. I would however, read the fine print very carefully on UM's scholarship. If it is a top 50% stip I would absolutely go FIU. I know that, "I will definitely be in the top 50% of the class," is the prevailing opinion. But every year, 50% of those who go in with that mindset are wrong, and UM at sticker is financial suicide.

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Fri May 02, 2014 12:28 pm

I was wondering, does Miami, give out scholarships depending on class rank after the first year?

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Fri May 02, 2014 12:51 pm

Nucky wrote:If it is a top 50% stip I would absolutely go FIU. I know that, "I will definitely be in the top 50% of the class," is the prevailing opinion. But every year, 50% of those who go in with that mindset are wrong, and UM at sticker is financial suicide.


For this to be true, 100% of the incoming class must have a scholarship. I don't think that's the case

dsamuels wrote:I was wondering, does Miami, give out scholarships depending on class rank after the first year?


I believe they give out merit and/or need based scholarships after your first year

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Fri May 02, 2014 12:58 pm

foundingfather wrote:
Nucky wrote:If it is a top 50% stip I would absolutely go FIU. I know that, "I will definitely be in the top 50% of the class," is the prevailing opinion. But every year, 50% of those who go in with that mindset are wrong, and UM at sticker is financial suicide.


For this to be true, 100% of the incoming class must have a scholarship. I don't think that's the case


RC Fail --- It's true whether or not people are on scholarship. No one goes to law school thinking, "I'll graduate last in my class." But someone always does.

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Nucky wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
Nucky wrote:If it is a top 50% stip I would absolutely go FIU. I know that, "I will definitely be in the top 50% of the class," is the prevailing opinion. But every year, 50% of those who go in with that mindset are wrong, and UM at sticker is financial suicide.


For this to be true, 100% of the incoming class must have a scholarship. I don't think that's the case


RC Fail --- It's true whether or not people are on scholarship. No one goes to law school thinking, "I'll graduate last in my class." But someone always does.


Good save, although we both know you're talking about losing scholarships (again)

Did you even apply to UM or FIU?

TLS Moderators wrote:Normal discussion between applicants is fine, but this forum is NOT the place for non-applicants to argue or debate which law schools are worth attending and under what circumstances.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Fri May 02, 2014 1:12 pm

foundingfather wrote:
Nucky wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
Nucky wrote:If it is a top 50% stip I would absolutely go FIU. I know that, "I will definitely be in the top 50% of the class," is the prevailing opinion. But every year, 50% of those who go in with that mindset are wrong, and UM at sticker is financial suicide.


For this to be true, 100% of the incoming class must have a scholarship. I don't think that's the case


RC Fail --- It's true whether or not people are on scholarship. No one goes to law school thinking, "I'll graduate last in my class." But someone always does.


Good save, although we both know you're talking about losing scholarships (again)

Did you even apply to UM or FIU?


It wasn't a save. I am talking about scholarships, but a 50% scholarship stip is weighed against the entire class, not against only other scholarship recipients.

No, I didn't apply to FIU but I applied to UM and withdrew. I am not knocking either school. I actually recommended UM, stipulations aside. Just trying to help fellow posters make intelligent decisions, much the way other posters have helped me. You shouldn't take it as an affront.

MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Fri May 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Did anyone else catch the ATL rankings broadcast?

I noticed Elie mentioned something about a Umiami Tuition freeze, which didn't seem right to me considering the fact that tuition has gone up this past year, but it did give me false hope. :?

BTW, for anyone considering FSU or UM, it looks like FSU didn't make the ATL rankings - it's probably all those low paying gov't jobs FSU touts so much.

MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Fri May 02, 2014 1:41 pm

On another note, if a scholarship recipient can't perform better than at least 50% of the incoming class, then you probably didn't deserve it in the first place.

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Fri May 02, 2014 1:54 pm

MisterGabriel wrote:On another note, if a scholarship recipient can't perform better than at least 50% of the incoming class, then you probably didn't deserve it in the first place.


TRUEE

danimorales08
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby danimorales08 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Hey everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has assured a seat at UM! I'm just looking for some advice.

I didn't think I would be able to apply for this cycle, but as it turns out, UM has rolling admission until July 31. I will be taking the June LSAT, but I'm skeptical of applying (although I TRULY want to start this fall).

My last diagnostics test has me at a 155. I had a 3.66 GPA at UF with a double major and graduated in 3 years, and was involved in a ton of extracurriculars (Idk if they would consider this). I'm hoping that after memorizing all my powerscore + testmasters material I get at least a 160.

My only problem with UM my only problem is money. I'm afraid of getting into the school and receiving no money and having to say no for this cycle--how horrible does that look if I have to reapply early for the next cycle for money? Would that sway them into denying my admission for the c/o '18 cycle? And, overall, what are my chances of admission? Saying I receive anywhere from a 155-160?

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Sun May 04, 2014 4:59 pm

Your chances are not great for this cycle. Even though they do have rolling admission, most of the admission offers have been given out and most of the money too. So, though theoretically you can get into UM, you'd be competing for possibly 20 seats(?) as opposed to someone who applied in december and was competing for 300. But you know, if you're above their medians, I'm sure they'll find space for you.

In the end, you don't lose anything by applying. Worst they can do is deny you for this cycle. But from what I understand, schools like when someone who is denied comes back and applies again. It shows that they're really interested in attending the school.

yoda8301
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby yoda8301 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:11 pm

anyone know of any wait list movement? been pretty quiet since the seat deposit deadline

bcoco9292
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby bcoco9292 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Anyone have any luck negotiating scholarships?

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Someone revive this thread its on its last legs lol

yoda8301
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby yoda8301 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:11 pm

dsamuels wrote:Someone revive this thread its on its last legs lol


I agree! it's been dead and I'm waiting to get off the wait list.

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Mon May 19, 2014 8:39 pm

yoda8301 wrote:
dsamuels wrote:Someone revive this thread its on its last legs lol


I agree! it's been dead and I'm waiting to get off the wait list.



I'm still waiting for some financial aide info. SMH. I called them and e-mailed them. They said over a month ago that they would send me my updated info. Of course they have not. Admissions office is slacking right now.

yoda8301
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby yoda8301 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:42 pm

dsamuels wrote:
yoda8301 wrote:
dsamuels wrote:Someone revive this thread its on its last legs lol


I agree! it's been dead and I'm waiting to get off the wait list.



I'm still waiting for some financial aide info. SMH. I called them and e-mailed them. They said over a month ago that they would send me my updated info. Of course they have not. Admissions office is slacking right now.


there has been zero movement on the wait list and I have not had my emails returned either. it is frustrating because I feel like something should have happened by now. guess the wait continues...

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Tue May 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Those on the waitlist will definitely start to see movement after the June deposit deadline. Its either June 2 or June 5th. I have to check my email to be sure. But you should see some movement after those dates.

yoda8301
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby yoda8301 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:29 pm

2nd deposit deadline is today according to the Wait List Q&A page on UM's website. Let's get that wait list movin!

tampadave
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:29 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby tampadave » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:07 am

cricketlove00 wrote:
tampadave wrote:I already mentioned that my daughter received a $20,000 per year offer from Miami the week before seat deposits were due. During that same period, FIU upped her scholarship offer from $47,000 to $69,500 (additional $7,500 per year) along with multiple calls from the Dean.

She is still going to Miami. Not even a close decision.


I know that I'm not part of this thread at all, but I just happened to read this. You must have lots of money because I would've picked FIU and never looked back.


Money is not a consideration. Lets just say she will graduate debt-free regardless of whether her scholarship is renewed the last two years.

tampadave
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:29 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby tampadave » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:11 am

Nucky wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
tampadave wrote:I already mentioned that my daughter received a $20,000 per year offer from Miami the week before seat deposits were due. During that same period, FIU upped her scholarship offer from $47,000 to $69,500 (additional $7,500 per year) along with multiple calls from the Dean.

She is still going to Miami. Not even a close decision.


I know that I'm not part of this thread at all, but I just happened to read this. You must have lots of money because I would've picked FIU and never looked back.


But dat inner-Miami preftige, bro!

Sounds like only a $9,500 difference though, all joking aside. UM is worth $9,500 more than FIU. I would however, read the fine print very carefully on UM's scholarship. If it is a top 50% stip I would absolutely go FIU. I know that, "I will definitely be in the top 50% of the class," is the prevailing opinion. But every year, 50% of those who go in with that mindset are wrong, and UM at sticker is financial suicide.


Honestly speaking, prestige did factor into her decision. UM is THE school for those desiring to practice in Miami from what we understand.

ResIpsa305
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:56 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby ResIpsa305 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:02 am

UM 3L here

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

I'd be more than happy to answer any and all questions that you may have about academic life, exams, housing, Miami life, etc.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests