University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Spaniard
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Spaniard » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:23 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
Spaniard wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:If I'm taking the June exam this year would I be able to apply immediately thereafter and start up with you guys?


It depends on when the UM application deadline is and whether or not they accept and consider June LSAT scores. Nonetheless, if you already have an available score I'm almost positive you can send that in already (also add and leave the June option blank) with your full application and then once you receive your new score LSAC can send it directly to UM.

To be honest though, it would probably be best if you called 305-284-6746 (UM Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment) and asked them.


I just called. They said I should definately apply. That's kind of exciting to think I could be starting up relatively soon.


I'm glad it worked out for you.
Best of luck on the June LSAT.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby alexrodriguez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:17 pm

They have rolling admissions. They will definitely accept a June LSAT and if it's good enough, they may even throw decent money at you.

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:33 pm

as975266 wrote:When I visited I saw a lot of people studying and eating together and most people looked happy. The students I spoke with said most people are laid back and want each other to do well. They also said they go out together on the weekends. I visited a few schools and I was really suprised that Miami seemed the most chill, since I went in expecting to experience the stuck up stereotype. I hate to say it but I kind of got that vibe from UF. :(


I work with UM students and I've gone out with them and their classmate on weekends. They don't seem stuck up at all... at least that group didn't

run33
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby run33 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 am

Newbie question:

When someone lists "60k" or "75k" as their scholarship offer -- is this per year, or total for all three years?

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 am

run33 wrote:Newbie question:

When someone lists "60k" or "75k" as their scholarship offer -- is this per year, or total for all three years?


Generally that is a 3 year total so those would be 20K per year or 25K per year

run33
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby run33 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
run33 wrote:Newbie question:

When someone lists "60k" or "75k" as their scholarship offer -- is this per year, or total for all three years?


Generally that is a 3 year total so those would be 20K per year or 25K per year



So when someone posts "25k", I assume they mean per year. Just trying to find out what average numbers are looking like... I was just admitted recently but haven't heard about scholarship offers yet.

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:03 pm

run33 wrote:Newbie question:

When someone lists "60k" or "75k" as their scholarship offer -- is this per year, or total for all three years?


ask yourself what makes sense.

If tuition is 45K and someone puts that they got 60k, then it's not very likely that it's per year. Usually scholarships are for tuition, not cost of attendance.

If someone puts that they got 30k and tuition is 45k, then it's safe to assume that it's most likely per year.

robertd34
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby robertd34 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Hello all: anyone have an idea what "waitlisted alternate" means? I keep getting mixed responses/information...

thank you!

run33
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby run33 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Agentsoapbox wrote:
run33 wrote:Newbie question:

When someone lists "60k" or "75k" as their scholarship offer -- is this per year, or total for all three years?


ask yourself what makes sense.

If tuition is 45K and someone puts that they got 60k, then it's not very likely that it's per year. Usually scholarships are for tuition, not cost of attendance.

If someone puts that they got 30k and tuition is 45k, then it's safe to assume that it's most likely per year.



Hilarious -- thanks for the help. I asked myself "what made sense" but I suppose my self was unsure as to why the reporting of scholarships seemed to waver between "per year" and "3-year total," based on the numbers. It was not an immediate assumption of mine that a scholarship wouldn't cover more than basic tuition... I've had a scholarship in the past that covered a tuition plus a stipend.

I do appreciate your time and suggestion to look inward for answers.

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 am

yea some do. It's very rare it seems.

I think I saw someone that had a 169 and a 3.7 on LSN that got 47k a semester which would come out to full tuition and maybe an extra thousand... but they declined anyway and went someone better ranked.

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:02 pm

So where have you guys thought about living? Like what neighborhoods?

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 am

If you have a truck, beware of moving into Coral Gables... they have an ordinance against hang trucks parked overnight.

Other than that, the gables is a nice place. Ritzy upper class neighborhood, and very close to campus.

Coconut Grove is also close. It's where the locals go to hang out. Its full of restaurants and bars. A nice place to live. Has a more bohemian feel depending on where you live.

South Beach would be an awesome place to live. I mean, if you're from out of town, it's going to be cool to live where people from all over the world go to vacation... but try to get a short lease, you'll get over it soon enough.

Brickell is the shiny downtown financial district. it's where the tall luxury condos are. A lot of UM Law students live there. It's quite pricey but some people are into that big-city feel. Easy access to UM by public transportation, but it may take a little while. Take the metro mover to government center and transfer to the southbound metro-rail which has a stop at UM.

Just south of UM is South Miami and Kendall. Standard suburb.

Personally... I've lived in Miami all my life... I love the grove. Theres the west grove which is a black underprivileged neighborhood. Some people want to avoid it. I've lived there, it's fine. I live in the center grove now in a great area. I love it. I simply have to take a few steps and I'm surrounded by bars. Lots of trees and cultural events in the grove.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Yazzzay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:27 am

dsamuels wrote:So where have you guys thought about living? Like what neighborhoods?


+1 to the above but just fyi if you're looking to not spend too much, aka under a 1000 you'll probably need a roommate basically anywhere in Miami. With that said, the cheapest area to rent alone would be South Miami. Look at the Dadeland area, I know some Miami law kids living there. It's near a mall/grocery stores/few bars but isn't too happening. It's about a 10 min commute with no traffic, but I've been stuck in traffic there for 30+ mins.

The gables is really nice, and you could probably find a house/room in a house for cheaper. Commute should be a lot shorter since you don't have to get on US1.

Grove is fine and cute, lots to do but I don't think it's a grad hang out place at all, it's very undergrad. But again, you could probs find a room in a house for cheaper.

Brickell is awesome/fun/tons going on on, but the commute isn't worth it imo. You have to take US1 to school and depending on the time of day, you could definitely be stuck there 45+ mins. No traffic, 15ish mins. I don't think any 1L would even think of living in South Beach. You could probs find something for not a killer price BUT your commute is horrible. No traffic, 30 mins, traffic, 1hr+. The distractions alone are not worth it. If you get a job in Miami over 1L summer, get a short term rental then if you really want it.

If I was going to UM I would look at Dadeland. Enough going on not to get bored and commute not horrible. Besides that there are a few building right near campus if you don't want to buy a parking pass and just take the bus from a nearby campus stop. Red Road Commons is there. It's pretty and nice but the staff is meant to be annoying and you're looking at 1'500+ for a 1 bedrooms I think. There's a few others but I don't remember.

Just try to limit your time on US1. Miami drivers are horrendous and I don't think anyone would want to deal with that 2+ times a day.
Last edited by Yazzzay on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:55 am

UGGHH my commute is going to be horrible... Does anyone know what time 1L classes start?

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
dsamuels wrote:So where have you guys thought about living? Like what neighborhoods?


+1 to the above but just fyi if you're looking to not spend too much, aka under a 1000 you'll probably need a roommate basically anywhere in Miami. With that said, the cheapest area to rent alone would be South Miami. Look at the Dadeland area, I know some Miami law kids living there. It's near a mall/grocery stores/few bars but isn't too happening. It's about a 10 min commute with no traffic, but I've been stuck in traffic there for 30+ mins.

The gables is really nice, and you could probably find a house/room in a house for cheaper. Commute should be a lot shorter since you don't have to get on US1.

Grove is fine and cute, lots to do but I don't think it's a grad hang out place at all, it's very undergrad. But again, you could probs find a room in a house for cheaper.

Brickell is awesome/fun/tons going on on, but the commute isn't worth it imo. You have to take US1 to school and depending on the time of day, you could definitely be stuck there 45+ mins. No traffic, 15ish mins. I don't think any 1L would even think of living in South Beach. You could probs find something for not a killer price BUT your commute is horrible. No traffic, 30 mins, traffic, 1hr+. The distractions alone are not worth it. If you get a job in Miami over 1L summer, get a short term rental then if you really want it.

If I was going to UM I would look at Dadeland. Enough going on not to get bored and commute not horrible. Besides that there are a few building right near campus if you don't want to buy a parking pass and just take the bus from a nearby campus stop. Red Road Commons is there. It's pretty and nice but the staff is meant to be annoying and you're looking at 1'500+ for a 1 bedrooms I think. There's a few others but I don't remember.

Just try to limit your time on US1. Miami drivers are horrendous and I don't think anyone would want to deal with that 2+ times a day.


+1 I would advise against getting a place in SoBe for your 1L... you won't be able to enjoy it enough to compensate for the commute

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:56 pm

foundingfather wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
dsamuels wrote:So where have you guys thought about living? Like what neighborhoods?


+1 to the above but just fyi if you're looking to not spend too much, aka under a 1000 you'll probably need a roommate basically anywhere in Miami. With that said, the cheapest area to rent alone would be South Miami. Look at the Dadeland area, I know some Miami law kids living there. It's near a mall/grocery stores/few bars but isn't too happening. It's about a 10 min commute with no traffic, but I've been stuck in traffic there for 30+ mins.

The gables is really nice, and you could probably find a house/room in a house for cheaper. Commute should be a lot shorter since you don't have to get on US1.

Grove is fine and cute, lots to do but I don't think it's a grad hang out place at all, it's very undergrad. But again, you could probs find a room in a house for cheaper.

Brickell is awesome/fun/tons going on on, but the commute isn't worth it imo. You have to take US1 to school and depending on the time of day, you could definitely be stuck there 45+ mins. No traffic, 15ish mins. I don't think any 1L would even think of living in South Beach. You could probs find something for not a killer price BUT your commute is horrible. No traffic, 30 mins, traffic, 1hr+. The distractions alone are not worth it. If you get a job in Miami over 1L summer, get a short term rental then if you really want it.

If I was going to UM I would look at Dadeland. Enough going on not to get bored and commute not horrible. Besides that there are a few building right near campus if you don't want to buy a parking pass and just take the bus from a nearby campus stop. Red Road Commons is there. It's pretty and nice but the staff is meant to be annoying and you're looking at 1'500+ for a 1 bedrooms I think. There's a few others but I don't remember.

Just try to limit your time on US1. Miami drivers are horrendous and I don't think anyone would want to deal with that 2+ times a day.



Agentsoapbox wrote:If you have a truck, beware of moving into Coral Gables... they have an ordinance against hang trucks parked overnight.

Other than that, the gables is a nice place. Ritzy upper class neighborhood, and very close to campus.

Coconut Grove is also close. It's where the locals go to hang out. Its full of restaurants and bars. A nice place to live. Has a more bohemian feel depending on where you live.

South Beach would be an awesome place to live. I mean, if you're from out of town, it's going to be cool to live where people from all over the world go to vacation... but try to get a short lease, you'll get over it soon enough.

Brickell is the shiny downtown financial district. it's where the tall luxury condos are. A lot of UM Law students live there. It's quite pricey but some people are into that big-city feel. Easy access to UM by public transportation, but it may take a little while. Take the metro mover to government center and transfer to the southbound metro-rail which has a stop at UM.

Just south of UM is South Miami and Kendall. Standard suburb.

Personally... I've lived in Miami all my life... I love the grove. Theres the west grove which is a black underprivileged neighborhood. Some people want to avoid it. I've lived there, it's fine. I live in the center grove now in a great area. I love it. I simply have to take a few steps and I'm surrounded by bars. Lots of trees and cultural events in the grove.



Thank u guys for the info! Extremely helpful.

yoda8301
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby yoda8301 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:30 am

anyone taken off of the wait list yet? Hoping they will start pulling people off any day now

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Anyone know the turn around times for receiving a response back via email. I emailed them 7 days ago. :!:

User avatar
Eaturgreenz
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Eaturgreenz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:36 pm

I would look for effiecncies, especially in the kendall region. Living near UM can be expensive. There are also some very poor neighborhoods in South Miami and Coral Gables, so be careful. As for going out, try wynwood.

MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:28 pm

dsamuels wrote:Anyone know the turn around times for receiving a response back via email. I emailed them 7 days ago. :!:


I received a response in about 4-5 days. Probably because I sent the negotiation email at an opportune moment - it was 5 days before the first deposit deadline. Nevertheless, I was unsuccessful in negotiating more $$, but I'm content with what I was offered so it's all good.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone was successful in negotiating more $$ OR successful in negotiating away their stipulation.

tampadave
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:29 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby tampadave » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:11 am

I already mentioned that my daughter received a $20,000 per year offer from Miami the week before seat deposits were due. During that same period, FIU upped her scholarship offer from $47,000 to $69,500 (additional $7,500 per year) along with multiple calls from the Dean.

She is still going to Miami. Not even a close decision.

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:15 am

tampadave wrote:I already mentioned that my daughter received a $20,000 per year offer from Miami the week before seat deposits were due. During that same period, FIU upped her scholarship offer from $47,000 to $69,500 (additional $7,500 per year) along with multiple calls from the Dean.

She is still going to Miami. Not even a close decision.


I'm guessing she's out of state? because 69,500 comes out to 23,166 a year, which is more than the cost of in-state tuition. If I got 23k a year for FIU, I would have gone to FIU hands down! FIU is a great school, the biggest draw-back is the lack of name recognition and alumni network.

But, I work in banking down here and many of my clients are lawyers. I don't wanna give too much away, but they're big lawyers. Most of them graduated from UM, but when I asked them what their thoughts were on UM and FIU they would mostly tell me to go to FIU just because UM is so overpriced.

For me, UM was the smart choice. The scholarship they gave me made UM either on par or cheaper than FIU. I can't explain why FIU didn't give me very much money. Maybe they just knew I'd end up going somewhere else. But UM was the smart choice for me.

Mr.Esquire
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Mr.Esquire » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:00 am

Any Soia, Reid, or White & Case scholars?

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:22 pm

tampadave wrote:I already mentioned that my daughter received a $20,000 per year offer from Miami the week before seat deposits were due. During that same period, FIU upped her scholarship offer from $47,000 to $69,500 (additional $7,500 per year) along with multiple calls from the Dean.

She is still going to Miami. Not even a close decision.


What are your daughters stats if you don't mind?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”