University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:03 am

Ladies and gentlemen, the pressure is on - seat deposits due in 48 hours! Im playing chicken with UM. They keep emailing me, reminding me of the deposit but I haven't gotten a response to my scholly email! You guys think I should just send my deposit without another follow up email?

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:11 pm

I'd probably go down to UM on monday with check in hand. Try to talk to someone you need to talk to. Then hand in your check when you feel you've done everything you can. I mean, really... you're going to UM anyway.

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:37 pm

MisterGabriel wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, the pressure is on - seat deposits due in 48 hours! Im playing chicken with UM. They keep emailing me, reminding me of the deposit but I haven't gotten a response to my scholly email! You guys think I should just send my deposit without another follow up email?



I have not even received my financial information yet. So I'm going to call them tomorrow.

MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:21 am

Just got the email response... Looks like they're playing hardball and my scholarship offer is likely their best offer. In any case, out of my choices, Umiami is the best fit for my situation. Will be sending in my deposit today! Btw for all those considering Umiami and are a bit turned off by the hate on this forum, remember, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Quick question... I live about 30-40 minutes away - possibly more with traffic - does anyone know of cheap renting options near the school?
Last edited by MisterGabriel on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:22 am

I live in a great spot in the grove. Rent would be $600. We can talk if you like! PM me

AndiDail
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby AndiDail » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Withdrawing my seat. I love the sound of the program but have better financial options elsewhere.

20K/year back into the pot. :)

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Can we access our financial information online like on Canelink?

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:08 pm

dsamuels wrote:Can we access our financial information online like on Canelink?


Yes, just look at your finances and the "awards" section. It'll have your scholly info there. Not your loans yet though...

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Just put my deposit down!


[]_[]

heatfan292
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby heatfan292 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:22 pm

I have been asking for money for months. Finally I received 20 a year yesterday. Looks like Im going to the U

MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Deposit is in. After much back and forth, it looks like i'm going to be a cane after all. Hope to see you all come August! :D

User avatar
Spaniard
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Spaniard » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Has anyone had any success with scholarships?
If so what scores did you apply with and what was the quickest means of acquiring feedback from the school after being accepted?

Also, if anyone has had experience with or was accepted for the Miami Scholars award please let me know what the process is in addition to the time frame that it took to receive a notification concerning the program as I also applied for it as well.

For those wondering, I just received my acceptance packet from UM yesterday (I did apply relatively late and was accepted within two weeks) and need to pay the seat deposit by 4/22 which is right around the corner.
Additionally, I'm currently still waiting for responses from FIU, UF and FSU which will ultimately determine where it is I will attend next year, if I choose to attend at all ($$ is a big issue at the moment). Nonethless, I need some type of scholarship if I plan on attending UM because I find that paying 46k a year is just absurd.

Thanks

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:12 am

Unless you got above a 160, I don't think you can expect over 20k a year (if anything.) My friend got a 155 and she didn't get anything. I think someone on here had a 159 and got 20k. I have a 161 and got 30k. Though, after the april 15 deadline, I hear they're going to see about redistributing aid left over from those who declined.

Either way. UM is mad expensive. Good luck.

as975266
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby as975266 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:48 am

Actually, a few people with 157s got 20k a year since this past Thursday. And according to law school numbers quite a few people with large schollys just withdrew so hopefully more people get money. Good luck!

yoda8301
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby yoda8301 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:51 am

anyone have an idea when they might start pulling from the waiting list now that the 1st deposit has passed? in previous years it seemed like they started making offers pretty soon.

MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 am

Not too sure if Miami is inclined to increase scholarship offers. I received a response to my negotiation letter and It didn't seem like there was any room for an increase. That may only pertain to my case - not too sure about the rest of the apps. Hopefully ill get a random increase soon as deposits were sure to weed out a lot of scholarship recipients.

And on a separate note, does anyone else hear about Umiami students being "stuck up"? I've heard this from several friends who are going to different law schools, and I'm not sure what to think. Anyone know how the students are?

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am

Withdrew $75k back in pot

as975266
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby as975266 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 am

When I visited I saw a lot of people studying and eating together and most people looked happy. The students I spoke with said most people are laid back and want each other to do well. They also said they go out together on the weekends. I visited a few schools and I was really surprised that Miami seemed the most chill, since I went in expecting to experience the stuck up stereotype.
Last edited by as975266 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby alexrodriguez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:45 am

If I'm taking the June exam this year would I be able to apply immediately thereafter and start up with you guys?

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:02 pm

as975266 wrote:Actually, a few people with 157s got 20k a year since this past Thursday. And according to law school numbers quite a few people with large schollys just withdrew so hopefully more people get money. Good luck!


How can you see this information? I am not familiar with how to navigate through LSN too much.

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 pm

as975266 wrote:When I visited I saw a lot of people studying and eating together and most people looked happy. The students I spoke with said most people are laid back and want each other to do well. They also said they go out together on the weekends. I visited a few schools and I was really suprised that Miami seemed the most chill, since I went in expecting to experience the stuck up stereotype. I hate to say it but I kind of got that vibe from UF. :(



Thats how it is here in Miami

User avatar
Spaniard
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Spaniard » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 pm

louierodriguez wrote:If I'm taking the June exam this year would I be able to apply immediately thereafter and start up with you guys?


It depends on when the UM application deadline is and whether or not they accept and consider June LSAT scores. Nonetheless, if you already have an available score I'm almost positive you can send that in already (also add and leave the June option blank) with your full application and then once you receive your new score LSAC can send it directly to UM.

To be honest though, it would probably be best if you called 305-284-6746 (UM Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment) and asked them.

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Agentsoapbox wrote:
as975266 wrote:Actually, a few people with 157s got 20k a year since this past Thursday. And according to law school numbers quite a few people with large schollys just withdrew so hopefully more people get money. Good luck!


How can you see this information? I am not familiar with how to navigate through LSN too much.


Go to Miami's page, click the applicants tab. Once you are there you can filter based on LSAT scores. Once you do that it will have them in order from highest to lowest. That way you can scroll up or down to see what people with different numbers received. Only problem is these are self reported, and some people skew their numbers if they worry about adcomms following their page. But I would say these are generally correct.

If I didn't make sense let me know and I'll try to say it in a better way,

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:14 pm

http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants that's the page where you can filter through it

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby alexrodriguez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Spaniard wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:If I'm taking the June exam this year would I be able to apply immediately thereafter and start up with you guys?


It depends on when the UM application deadline is and whether or not they accept and consider June LSAT scores. Nonetheless, if you already have an available score I'm almost positive you can send that in already (also add and leave the June option blank) with your full application and then once you receive your new score LSAC can send it directly to UM.

To be honest though, it would probably be best if you called 305-284-6746 (UM Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment) and asked them.


I just called. They said I should definately apply. That's kind of exciting to think I could be starting up relatively soon.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, notsolawful and 13 guests