University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
foundingfather

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:49 am

According (solely) to those stats there's about a 32% chance I'll lose my scholarship. I'll take my chances

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:57 am

foundingfather wrote:According (solely) to those stats there's about a 32% chance I'll lose my scholarship. I'll take my chances

Lol. You weren't kidding about not being a math guy.
Last edited by Nucky on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:58 am

Nucky wrote:
foundingfather wrote:According (solely) to those stats there's about a 32% chance I'll lose my scholarship. I'll take my chances

+1

If you take the two years its actually 33.6%

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:59 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
Nucky wrote:

+1

We're dealing with a special snowflake here. Simple math, and common-sense don't apply.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 pm

I hope it works out for you Ben, I really do. 1/3 odds of paying full sticker at UM ($46k) would scare the shit out of me.

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Nucky wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:
Nucky wrote:

+1

We're dealing with a special snowflake here. Simple math, and common-sense don't apply.

My bad for rounding numbers. I didn't know I was getting graded on TLS. :(

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 pm

Nucky wrote:I hope it works out for you Ben, I really do. 1/3 odds of paying full sticker at UM ($46k) would scare the shit out of me.

Then don't take the offer.

heatfan292

Postby heatfan292 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:18 pm

I'm not sure why you people are insisting the UF>FSU. Have you not seen the new rankings? FSU has surpassed UF. Their higher ranking and opportunities in Tallahassee make the decision between FSU and UF easy. So easy that I did not even apply to UF lol

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:53 pm

heatfan292 wrote:I'm not sure why you people are insisting the UF>FSU. Have you not seen the new rankings? FSU has surpassed UF. Their higher ranking and opportunities in Tallahassee make the decision between FSU and UF easy. So easy that I did not even apply to UF lol

"USNWR". Haha. That's hilarious. I didn't know USNWR dictated OCI opportunities, alumni network, etc. USNWR means nothing. What matters is how employers view schools, and in their eyes, Florida has always has been, and likely always will be, the best law school in Florida.

Please browse TLS for awhile and learn more about the process. You're embarrassing yourself.

MisterGabriel

Postby MisterGabriel » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:48 pm

I'd like to point out to those accusing UM of section staking that your "statistics" are irrelevant and prove nothing about section staking. Didn't we learn anything from the lsat gentleman? Correlation does not prove causation. Unfortunately there are law school stereotypes that, for the most part, are unchallenged. Yes, over 35% of students with scholarships lose their scholarship, but does that prove UM is deliberately trying to sabotage their own students?? Can you really make that leap in judgment as an aspiring attorney? No, you cannot.

And Rucky, although I certainly agree that UF is still considered the top school in Florida, it is unlikely that will stand very long. Your exact attitude is why UF has fallen in ranks in the USNWR. UF is running on its' past successes and FSU is taking advantage. Don't be surprised that when you're a practicing attorney, FSU will be top dog in the state.

raininthedesert

Postby raininthedesert » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Quote: "There is no door UM can open that UF cannot, even in that region, unless you want to work disability cases in Hialeah. There is no "definitive edge" whatsoever. Unless by "definitive edge" you mean that UM kids have no options outside of Miami-Dade county and hence tend to congregate there.

FSU belongs in the conversation because they do very well for their PI/Gov't minded students.

It's simple really, huge cost differences aside, if you want to do private work go to UF, and if you want to do public work go to FSU. UM, FIU, and the rest are just fallback options and places to get scholarships from to leverage against UF/FSU."[/quote]

Your ignorance is amazing. I gave credibility to UF yet you still make unsubstantiated and ignorant comments. I have no ties to Miami Law but I do participate in the hiring for our D.C. and Miami Offices -- BigLaw -- and you are just plain incorrect. The greatest number of hires we make every year are from Miami and then UF. The remainder are filled by HYS or T14 applicants with Florida ties (whether that be from the area or, most often, from working in the area during the summer). FSU is not a significant player in the Miami market at all...including government jobs. Most of the DA and Public Defenders offices are run by and primarily composed of Miami Law alumni. These are just facts not my personal opinion or anecdotal evidence and doesn't include the enormous pull the named scholars at Miami Law (Harvey Reid, Soia, Miami Scholars) have in the job market.

Your comments regarding UF > FSU > Miami > FIU might be true for the whole state but it is obvious you don't work in a higher level position or have any involvement in hiring or networking within the Miami/South Florida market. I went to Columbia and even I still recognize the market characteristics of law schools in Miami -- for better or worse.

It may also not surprise you that in our D.C. office we pull from HYS and T14 for about half our positions and the rest are filled by Georgetown and George Washington primarily. The occasional exception being the top student at American or Maryland.

Agentsoapbox

Postby Agentsoapbox » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Hmm... If the stipulations are that you have to be in the top half of your section to keep your aid, and UM stacks their sections with high achieving scholarship recipients, then shouldn't the number of students who lose their scholarships be 50%? I mean, if all the scholarship recipients are in one section, then it's a mathematical fact, that half of them will be in the bottom half. But only 28% lost their aid last year.

heatfan292

Postby heatfan292 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:43 pm

Nucky wrote:
heatfan292 wrote:I'm not sure why you people are insisting the UF>FSU. Have you not seen the new rankings? FSU has surpassed UF. Their higher ranking and opportunities in Tallahassee make the decision between FSU and UF easy. So easy that I did not even apply to UF lol

"USNWR". Haha. That's hilarious. I didn't know USNWR dictated OCI opportunities, alumni network, etc. USNWR means nothing. What matters is how employers view schools, and in their eyes, Florida has always has been, and likely always will be, the best law school in Florida.

Please browse TLS for awhile and learn more about the process. You're embarrassing yourself.

the only reason why there are not a lot of FSU grads in sofla is because they choose not to go there. It is not because they can't. Many choose to stay in Tally or go to Tampa and Orlando. FSU is the best school in the state OPEN YOUR EYES

dsamuels

Postby dsamuels » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:50 pm

Agentsoapbox and foundingfather, thank you for answering my question on the previous page.

cosmomedici

Postby cosmomedici » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Has anyone had their skype interview for Miami Scholars? Had a missed call & voicemail yesterday, honestly wasn't really considering UM (or school in Florida at all) but between the merit scholarship and potential for Miami Scholars $, the sunshine state is looking damn fine.

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:25 pm

cosmomedici wrote:Has anyone had their skype interview for Miami Scholars? Had a missed call & voicemail yesterday, honestly wasn't really considering UM (or school in Florida at all) but between the merit scholarship and potential for Miami Scholars $, the sunshine state is looking damn fine.

A friend of mine had hers yesterday. She got it.

Also dsamuels you're welcome. pm me whenever although I'm just a 0L

MisterGabriel

Postby MisterGabriel » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Hey guys.

Has anyone had any success negotiating merit scholarships with Miami?

I think I'm going to give it a shot - it can't hurt. My leverage would be 10k/yr at FIU - if that even counts as leverage - and FSU just accepted me a couple days ago.

Btw, UM is offering $20k/yr.

Thanks in advance!

Agentsoapbox

Postby Agentsoapbox » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:22 am

If your LSAT is anywhere below 160, I doubt it.

I've been trying to negotiate with them some. They don't seem open to it right now. I've sat with them on two occasions in person explaining how I'm torn between them and other schools and how finances is a part of it. They just make their best argument for UM but they don't budge on aid. I even asked if we could negotiate on stipulations or even the deposit, gosh 1,000 deposit is a lot! But they won't.

Then again, I think I got their highest scholarship amount. So, maybe that's why.

I was told after everyone's deposits are in, they might redistribute the aid that's left over.

I'm guessing your best bet is to put deposit down at UM and some other school where your cost of attendance would be much lower. Later in the cycle let UM know that you're still torn between these 2 schools. By then, UM's cycle would be pretty much done. They won't have time to accept another student to replace you. They might up your aid to keep you. But if you just put a deposit down at UM and no where else, then they'll know you're bluffing. I think they can see that stuff on LSAC or something. But that's how I'd play it.

I see you got into FSU.

I'd put down the deposit at FSU (their main rival) and tell them that FSU has much lower cost of attendance, that without any aid, it'd still be much cheaper than attending UM even with their 20k scholly. That FSU has higher employment numbers, that they place well across florida and they are a tier 1 institution. All true things... but that you have a soft spot for UM. You really want UM to be feasible, but with only 20k scholly, UM doesn't seem like the right choice. You will be weighing both options, but you want to make sure you have UM's best offer before making any final decision.

that's how I'd play it...

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Deposit has been paid. It's all about the []_[]

MisterGabriel

Postby MisterGabriel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks Agent, that was really helpful. Is there a certain contact email that you could pm me so I can start my negotiations?

Btw, have you ruled out FSU?

as975266

Postby as975266 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:50 am

Hey guys, i just had an odd experience with the career office. I called to get the 2013 aba data since most other schools have it on their websites already and they wanted to know why i was asking and who i was. I told them i was a prospective student and was put on hold. Then the girl came back and said she was told they do not know the info and to just transfer me to admissions. I asked why admissions would have it and they wouldnt and she said idk i was told to just transfer you. I told her i had a looming deposit deadline and asked if it would atleast be up by friday and she told me she had no idea. So i am a little worried about this...? Hopefully its not put up post deposit deadline with poor numbers and hopefully other staff in the career office know what is going on since they will be assisting us in the future.
Last edited by as975266 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:59 am

as975266 wrote:Hey guys, i am pretty sure i will be attending UM but just had an odd experience with the career office. I called to get the 2013 aba data since most other schools have it on their websites already and they wanted to know why i was asking and who i was. I told them i was a prospective student and was put on hold. Then the girl came back and said she was told they do not know the info and to just transfer me to admissions. I asked why admissions would have it and they wouldnt and she said idk i was told to just transfer you. I told her i had a looming deposit deadline and asked if it would atleats be up by friday and she told me she had no idea. So i am a little worried about this...? Hopefully its not put up post deposit deadline with poor numbers and hopefully other staff in the career office know what is going on since they will be assisting us in the future.

I cannot remember his username, but the guy/girl who runs LST posted that the 2013 data would be posted on the website at some point today. Since they use the info from the ABA reports this should give you a way to see that information even if UM wouldn't give it to you directly.

as975266

Postby as975266 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Thank you so much ! :D

dsamuels

Postby dsamuels » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:36 pm

Also for future reference, as975266, most of the people who answer those phone calls are work study paid students. I know because I worked nearly the exact same job. Next time just ask if you can speak to her supervisor. This may help.

as975266

Postby as975266 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Yes i will, thanks dsamuels

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”