University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:26 pm

It all comes down to where you want to practice. If it's in S. FL then your best bet would be UM - not only will you save in COL and tuition, but you'll be able to network where you plan to practice, that is, if you even plan to practice in S. FLorida. If not, then I say plan a visit to FSU (if you haven't already done so) and feel the school out. Yes, FSU is ranked higher than UM, but it cannot be said to be more prestigious - kind of a catch 22 huh?

In any case, you can't go wrong with either school. :lol:

heatfan292
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby heatfan292 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 pm

I am contemplating between FSU and FIU. I ruled Miami out because they did not give me any money while FIU gave me $15,000 a year. I am at FSU for undergrad but I am from South Florida and that is where I want to practice. What should I do?

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:00 am

What a strange cycle this has been... UM gave me 30k and FIU gave me 5K. Basically, made UM cheaper than FIU for me. Irony or ironies.

Maybe it's just because I was raised in Miami and spoon fed "U" propaganda... but I always thought the U was awesome. Actually, growing up as poor as I did, I never thought that UM was attainable. I always thought that UM was full of geniuses who got in with scholarships and trust fund brats that can just drop $$ on tuition like it ain't no thing.

FSU in my mind was always the state school.

FIU was the local school people went to who didn't get into FSU/UF

heatfan292
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby heatfan292 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Agentsoapbox wrote:What a strange cycle this has been... UM gave me 30k and FIU gave me 5K. Basically, made UM cheaper than FIU for me. Irony or ironies.

Maybe it's just because I was raised in Miami and spoon fed "U" propaganda... but I always thought the U was awesome. Actually, growing up as poor as I did, I never thought that UM was attainable. I always thought that UM was full of geniuses who got in with scholarships and trust fund brats that can just drop $$ on tuition like it ain't no thing.

FSU in my mind was always the state school.

FIU was the local school people went to who didn't get into FSU/UF


FIU's law school is only 12 years old

MisterGabriel
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby MisterGabriel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:12 pm

heatfan292 wrote:I am contemplating between FSU and FIU. I ruled Miami out because they did not give me any money while FIU gave me $15,000 a year. I am at FSU for undergrad but I am from South Florida and that is where I want to practice. What should I do?


It's really weird UM didn't give you any money... FIU only gave me $5k/yr merit scholly, while UM gave me $20k/yr.

Is FSU offering you anything?

heatfan292
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby heatfan292 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:23 pm

MisterGabriel wrote:
heatfan292 wrote:I am contemplating between FSU and FIU. I ruled Miami out because they did not give me any money while FIU gave me $15,000 a year. I am at FSU for undergrad but I am from South Florida and that is where I want to practice. What should I do?


It's really weird UM didn't give you any money... FIU only gave me $5k/yr merit scholly, while UM gave me $20k/yr.

Is FSU offering you anything?


I don't know yet. I was just admitted on Tuesday I am waiting to see. My stats are 157 and 3.4. I have heard Miami only gives money to 160+

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:09 pm

heatfan292 wrote:
MisterGabriel wrote:
heatfan292 wrote:I am contemplating between FSU and FIU. I ruled Miami out because they did not give me any money while FIU gave me $15,000 a year. I am at FSU for undergrad but I am from South Florida and that is where I want to practice. What should I do?


It's really weird UM didn't give you any money... FIU only gave me $5k/yr merit scholly, while UM gave me $20k/yr.

Is FSU offering you anything?


I don't know yet. I was just admitted on Tuesday I am waiting to see. My stats are 157 and 3.4. I have heard Miami only gives money to 160+


This is what an adcomm told me. ^^^

Why not retake? I went through the Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer for my retake and got the score I needed within 5 weeks. If my GPA was above 3.7 you would best believe I would be retaking for a third time and wait out til next cycle.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:52 pm

heatfan292 wrote:
MisterGabriel wrote:
heatfan292 wrote:I am contemplating between FSU and FIU. I ruled Miami out because they did not give me any money while FIU gave me $15,000 a year. I am at FSU for undergrad but I am from South Florida and that is where I want to practice. What should I do?


It's really weird UM didn't give you any money... FIU only gave me $5k/yr merit scholly, while UM gave me $20k/yr.

Is FSU offering you anything?


I don't know yet. I was just admitted on Tuesday I am waiting to see. My stats are 157 and 3.4. I have heard Miami only gives money to 160+


Not true. I had under 160 and got 23,000 per year + an interview for Miami Scholars.

dsamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby dsamuels » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Anyone know the turn around time between getting accepted and receiving scholarship info?

User avatar
Agentsoapbox
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:43 am

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Agentsoapbox » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:59 pm

you should get it within a week or so. I'd call and try to get them to tell you before april 15. I think you'll probably get 30k. I have a 161 lsat and a 3.2 gap and got 30k. Unless they've run out of money...

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:22 am

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
heatfan292 wrote:
MisterGabriel wrote:
heatfan292 wrote:I am contemplating between FSU and FIU. I ruled Miami out because they did not give me any money while FIU gave me $15,000 a year. I am at FSU for undergrad but I am from South Florida and that is where I want to practice. What should I do?


It's really weird UM didn't give you any money... FIU only gave me $5k/yr merit scholly, while UM gave me $20k/yr.

Is FSU offering you anything?


I don't know yet. I was just admitted on Tuesday I am waiting to see. My stats are 157 and 3.4. I have heard Miami only gives money to 160+


Not true. I had under 160 and got 23,000 per year + an interview for Miami Scholars.


160+ may be for 30k then

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:36 am

I don't know why there is so much debate. The Florida pecking order is quite simple:
UF > FSU >>>>>>> UM > Stetson/FIU > the rest.

Unless the monetary difference is huge, go to the school highest in the pecking order. The only exception to this is if you know you want to do government work in Tallahassee.

If you hate the Gators, or don't want to live in Tally for three years, or whatever other BS excuse, then you deserve your outcome. It's three years that will determine the rest of your life. Grow up and suck it up. Barring an extremely unique circumstance I don't see why you'd shoot yourself in the foot before you've even started law school.

raininthedesert
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:54 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby raininthedesert » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:48 am

[quote="Nucky"]I don't know why there is so much debate. The Florida pecking order is quite simple:
UF >>> FSU >>> UM > Stetson > FIU > the rest.

Unless the monetary difference is huge, go to the school highest in the pecking order. The only exception to this is if you know you want to do government work in Tallahassee.



You list is the ranking order but certainly not the pecking order. If you want to be employed in Miami/South Florida AND the difference in cost of attendance is marginal, then you should go to either Miami or UF. The opportunities to secure top externships during the year in Miami and other networking opportunities gives Miami a definitive edge over UF in that market.

FSU should not be part of this discussion unless you are interested in other parts of the state and the chatter about FIU is truly ridiculous. As one of the posters stated, maybe someday FIU will be in a stronger position but, as of now, it's not a viable option unless it was the best school you could get into or if your only options are full out-of-state tuition at every other option in Florida.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:55 am

raininthedesert wrote:
Nucky wrote:I don't know why there is so much debate. The Florida pecking order is quite simple:
UF >>> FSU >>> UM > Stetson > FIU > the rest.

Unless the monetary difference is huge, go to the school highest in the pecking order. The only exception to this is if you know you want to do government work in Tallahassee.



You list is the ranking order but certainly not the pecking order. If you want to be employed in Miami/South Florida AND the difference in cost of attendance is marginal, then you should go to either Miami or UF. The opportunities to secure top externships during the year in Miami and other networking opportunities gives Miami a definitive edge over UF in that market.

FSU should not be part of this discussion unless you are interested in other parts of the state and the chatter about FIU is truly ridiculous. As one of the posters stated, maybe someday FIU will be in a stronger position but, as of now, it's not a viable option unless it was the best school you could get into or if your only options are full out-of-state tuition at every other option in Florida.


There is no door UM can open that UF cannot, even in that region, unless you want to work disability cases in Hialeah. There is no "definitive edge" whatsoever. Unless by "definitive edge" you mean that UM kids have no options outside of Miami-Dade county and hence tend to congregate there.

FSU belongs in the conversation because they do very well for their PI/Gov't minded students.

It's simple really, huge cost differences aside, if you want to do private work go to UF, and if you want to do public work go to FSU. UM, FIU, and the rest are just fallback options and places to get scholarships from to leverage against UF/FSU.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:02 am

Anyway, just trying to help and point out a few of the absurd lines of thinking I have seen in this thread. I know everyone loves their Gators, Seminoles, 'Canes, etc., and hates the others, but the pecking order in Florida is really quite well and long established. Trivial biases are not a good reason to miss out on going to a better law school. This is the rest of your life on the line, after all.

Good luck to you in your decisions.

as975266
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby as975266 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:33 am

Do not trivialize our arguments for schools other than Uf down to sports so you can make your own argument seem better. You are not trying to help you are being rude. I picked up on that arrogance when I visited UF, which is one of the main reasons why I am torn between them and UM where the students and staff were friendly, happy and helpful. It is this arrogance and complacency that has affected their employment numbers which are lower than fsu and um. Further, a professor stopped our tour of the Uf campus and told us not to go there because it can no longer compete for jobs with other schools in the state. Our tour guide was mortified. Further, the fact that u say fsu and UM are schools used as leverage for more scholly from UF tells me you recognize that UM is in fact a peer school to UF. We understand that Uf has a large alumni network, an inexpensive quality education, and some other factors that make is one of the best schools in the state. This is why we are confused about which school to attend.
Last edited by as975266 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 am

as975266 wrote:Do not trivialize our arguments for schools other than Uf down to sports so you can make your own argument seem better. You are not trying to help you are being rude. I picked up on that arrogance when I visited UF, which is one of the main reasons why I am torn between them and UM where the students and staff were friendly, happy and helpful. It is this arrogance and complacency that has affected their employment numbers which are lower than fsu and um. Not only do they have lower employment than those two options as shown on lst, but a professor stopped our tour of the Uf campus and told us not to go there because it can no longer compete for jobs with other schools in the state. Our tour guide was mortified. Further, the fact that u say fsu and UM are schools used as leverage for more scholly from UF tells me you recognoze that UM is in fact a peer school to UF. We understand that Uf has a large alumni network, an inexpensive quality education, and some other factors that make is one of the best schools in the state. This is why we are confused about which school to attend. Take your version of help over to the UF thread.


Actually, UF's employment numbers are better. Considerably so in the areas of mid to biglaw and fed clerkship placement. LST does not update until mid-April. This is not arrogance, this is the truth. Also, if what I said has bothered you, and your bar for arrogance is so low, you may want to re-think being an attorney.
http://www.law.ufl.edu/wordpress/wp-con ... duates.pdf

I may not even end up at UF, or in the state of Florida at all, just leaning that way at the moment. I've never even stepped foot on campus. But these are the FACTS that have led me to the conclusion that the only school in Florida I would personally attend is UF, given my goals. UM, FIU, and others can be good options for certain people, but not for many of the half-baked reasons I have read in this thread. Including yours: "I dont know if I could see myself there for three years, and I spoke to some people from UM and really liked them so I think I will go there!" --- and you say my arguments are trivial?! :lol:

Also, UM is not UF's peer-school. They will likely not match UM's offers. But perhaps they can help bridge the gap to make UF a more appealing option. I would also take a hard look at any UM offer as they usually come with ridiculous stipulations and are known to section stack. (hopefully most of you already knew this)

Believe it or not, I really am just trying to help. I'll excuse myself from this thread now, but I think some of you need to do some more research, rely less on anecdotes, and understand what poor shape the legal market is in at the moment. You owe it to yourself, and your wallet, to give yourself the best chance at success. Good luck.

as975266
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby as975266 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:16 am

I do not use schools employment numbers as fact, i use lst and that is all i will trust. Further, my area of interest can be found in either the government or private sectors, I would be happy in both and the difference on lst between the schools in those sectors is very small. Your rude trivialization of our arguments, plus your rolled back statement on the scholly negotiations shows your argument is weaker than you think. The fact that you are taking personal digs also shows the weakness of your argument. Notice how people who were trying to be helpful but thought Uf or Fsu were better options did so without belittling the people they were helping. I have had three legal internships and your kind of personality will not make you allies in the legal field,good luck gaining clients. also, as you have not visited the campus yet, and I visisted mid week while students were coming and going from campus and there was no ASD flare gave me a realistic view of what school would be like. My arguments for either school are based on facts and an actual visit, unlike yours which relies on personal digs and using numbers from the schools own website. Good luck in law school, maybe ill see you at Uf next fall as i am currently 50/50. i truly hope we both make the right choice and are succesful wherever we go.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:21 am

as975266 wrote:I do not use schools employment numbers as fact, i use lst and that is all i will trust. Further, my area of interest can be found in either the government or private sectors, I would be happy in both and the difference on lst between the schools in those sectors is very small. Your rude trivialization of our arguments, plus your rolled back statement on the scholly negotiations shows your argument is weaker than you think. The fact that you are taking personal digs also shows the weakness of your argument. Notice how people who were trying to be helpful but thought Uf or Fsu were better options did so without belittling the people they were helping. I have had three legal internships and your kind of personality will not make you allies in the legal field,good luck gaining clients. also, as you have not visited the campus yet, and I visisted mid week while students were coming and going from campus and there was no ASD flare gave me a realistic view of what school would be like. My arguments for either school are based on facts and an actual visit, unlike yours which relies on personal digs and using numbers from the schools own website. Good luck in law school, maybe ill see you at Uf next fall as i am currently 50/50. i truly hope we both make the right choice and are succesful wherever we go.


I'm not going to bother responding to most of this nonsense. I never trivialized your argument. It was trivial to begin with. Also, the differences are not small. Nor are the quality of jobs similar. Also, you should know that LST gets their numbers from the ABA Employment Reports which are submitted to the ABA by the schools. Long story short, the link I posted is the ABA Employment report being submitted by Florida, which will in turn be posted on LST in the coming weeks.

Perhaps you should get a clue as to what you're talking about before you give inexperienced posters and lurkers bad advice. TLS is not a forgiving place, nor a place where bad decisions receive positive reinforcement. If you aren't comfortable with that then I suggest you find another site.
Last edited by Nucky on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:23 am

UF took my offer from UM very seriously and offered me a scholarship that made what I would pay in tuition at both schools nearly identical. Also, UM has stated they do not section stack. I'm under the impression that they genuinely do not want students to lose their scholarship. I think many of their scholarships come from a third party endowment, but you should take that for what it's worth.

With that being said, I've submitted my deposit to UM.

I withdrew my application and forfeited my award from UF so maybe now you have a chance at receiving a scholarship from UF, Nucky. Best of luck to you on your future endeavors.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:27 am

foundingfather wrote:UF took my offer from UM very seriously and offered me a scholarship that made what I would pay in tuition at both schools nearly identical. Also, UM has stated they do not section stack. I'm under the impression that they genuinely do not want students to lose their scholarship. I think many of their scholarships come from a third party endowment, but you should take that for what it's worth.

With that being said, I've submitted my deposit to UM.

I withdrew my application and forfeited my award from UF so maybe now you have a chance at receiving a scholarship from UF, Nucky. Best of luck to you on your future endeavors.


Thank you, Mr. Franklin. :wink: Lucky, I was able to get a generous one a few weeks back after a little negotiation.

I do recommend looking further into section stacking though. Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read somewhere that something like 50% of their students lost their scholarships. I would ask the school for specific numbers. Hopefully I am wrong and/or it works out for you. Good luck at UM.

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:39 am

Nucky wrote:
foundingfather wrote:UF took my offer from UM very seriously and offered me a scholarship that made what I would pay in tuition at both schools nearly identical. Also, UM has stated they do not section stack. I'm under the impression that they genuinely do not want students to lose their scholarship. I think many of their scholarships come from a third party endowment, but you should take that for what it's worth.

With that being said, I've submitted my deposit to UM.

I withdrew my application and forfeited my award from UF so maybe now you have a chance at receiving a scholarship from UF, Nucky. Best of luck to you on your future endeavors.


Thank you, Mr. Franklin. :wink: Lucky, I was able to get a generous one a few weeks back after a little negotiation.

I do recommend looking further into section stacking though. Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read somewhere that something like 50% of their students lost their scholarships. I would ask the school for specific numbers. Hopefully I am wrong and/or it works out for you. Good luck at UM.


Provide the source and I will happily look into it. Otherwise, I would have to assume the possibility of it just being hearsay.

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:41 am

foundingfather wrote:
Nucky wrote:
foundingfather wrote:UF took my offer from UM very seriously and offered me a scholarship that made what I would pay in tuition at both schools nearly identical. Also, UM has stated they do not section stack. I'm under the impression that they genuinely do not want students to lose their scholarship. I think many of their scholarships come from a third party endowment, but you should take that for what it's worth.

With that being said, I've submitted my deposit to UM.

I withdrew my application and forfeited my award from UF so maybe now you have a chance at receiving a scholarship from UF, Nucky. Best of luck to you on your future endeavors.


Thank you, Mr. Franklin. :wink: Lucky, I was able to get a generous one a few weeks back after a little negotiation.

I do recommend looking further into section stacking though. Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read somewhere that something like 50% of their students lost their scholarships. I would ask the school for specific numbers. Hopefully I am wrong and/or it works out for you. Good luck at UM.


Provide the source and I will happily look into it. Otherwise, I would have to assume the possibility of it just being hearsay.


http://www.law.miami.edu/legal/pdf/Scho ... a_2013.pdf straight from Miami's law website

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby foundingfather » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:45 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
Nucky wrote:
foundingfather wrote:UF took my offer from UM very seriously and offered me a scholarship that made what I would pay in tuition at both schools nearly identical. Also, UM has stated they do not section stack. I'm under the impression that they genuinely do not want students to lose their scholarship. I think many of their scholarships come from a third party endowment, but you should take that for what it's worth.

With that being said, I've submitted my deposit to UM.

I withdrew my application and forfeited my award from UF so maybe now you have a chance at receiving a scholarship from UF, Nucky. Best of luck to you on your future endeavors.


Thank you, Mr. Franklin. :wink: Lucky, I was able to get a generous one a few weeks back after a little negotiation.

I do recommend looking further into section stacking though. Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read somewhere that something like 50% of their students lost their scholarships. I would ask the school for specific numbers. Hopefully I am wrong and/or it works out for you. Good luck at UM.


Provide the source and I will happily look into it. Otherwise, I would have to assume the possibility of it just being hearsay.


http://www.law.miami.edu/legal/pdf/Scho ... a_2013.pdf straight from Miami's law website


I'm not really a math guy, but that's about 28%, right?

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:47 am

2012: 28.5%
2011: 37.9%
So sure 50% aren't losing their scholarship, but those still aren't the numbers you want to see




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bloomsday, carlos_danger, cjar819, cyclawps, hamburg, harmcharm, jjcorvino, lawdude31, Long shot hero, mccracal, nerdylsat, smartmoon, Smc1994 and 33 guests